Pre-Game Talk: Series Talk - Western Quarterfinal vs. St. Louis (Shaw suspended for game 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Go to your place of work and put a stick into someone's face. Or perhaps even face wash them. See how long you keep your job.

The nhl penalizes the former, and is okay with the latter. Do you have a point.

It's an extremely offensive slur. For you to say 'people are just looking to be offended' is idiotic.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I can't believe it's turned into a thing. It's ridiculous. I've played competitive hockey growing up and couldn't tell you how many times I've heard someone called, or been called a [mod]****** myself. It's hockey. I'm sure much worse has been said. Wayne Simmonds called Sean Avery the same thing a few years ago and nothing became of it.

It doesn't make Shaw a homophobe, it's just cursing someone out in the heat of the moment. It happens.

By the same token, just because something was permissible for a long time doesn't make it right. Not saying Shaw's a homophobe, but it's an ignorant hurtful thing to say and for a guy with a job that's a whole lot of public eye he needs to be smarter than that. Hopefully he learns and grows from this as a person.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Tough to compare it to the real world. I can't go to work, trade haymakers with a co-worker and only get told to go sit in the locker room and cool down for five minutes.

That doesn't imply that all typically offensive workplace behaviors are tolerated by the nhl. Shaw deserves to be fined, and he owes an apology.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
He gave an apology earlier today, and I expect a fine or at the very least a "donation" made as a token of good will.

The point is that you can't compare what a professional athlete can get away with what an accountant or laborer can get away with. Apples and garden hoses.

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
That doesn't imply that all typically offensive workplace behaviors are tolerated by the nhl. Shaw deserves to be fined, and he owes an apology.

He apologized. You can find all the details about it all over Mark Lazerus's twitter, mixed in with an occasional tweet about the Blackhawks/Blues series itself.

Instl

Dec 21, 2011
St. Louis
It's a PR issue, and it's one the league will get crucified for if they appear to be soft on.

Don't say stupid/ignorant **** and you have nothing to worry about. It's not a complicated system.

Shaw should be suspended, not only for homophobic word he screamed at the ref, but for his double bird flipping and the screaming of F.U. to them also.

The NHL is on the spot here considering they are a partner with the group "You Can Play". This organization has already contacted the NHL about Shaw's antics. Here is the 1st paragraph of their Mission Statement.

''You Can Play is dedicated to ensuring equality, respect and safety for all athletes, without regard to sexual orientation and/or gender identity.''

I heard that the Hawks had done a promo for the group also. I'm interested to see how this plays out.

Last edited:

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
He gave an apology earlier today, and I expect a fine or at the very least a "donation" made as a token of good will.

The point is that you can't compare what a professional athlete can get away with what an accountant or laborer can get away with. Apples and garden hoses.

It's not a matter of getting away with something. I don't know any context where that language is not offensive. That some behaviors are tolerated the NHL and not elsewhere has nothing to do with anything, unless this is one of those behaviors. It isn't.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Did Lucic get fined for making death threats in the handshake line a year or two ago? I have trouble seeing a suspension like some are suggesting.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Looking to offended? I was offensive and makes th team look bad. It is ignorant to say it is just a word. Wake up bud this is not someone calling another person a "mother ****er" or a "****** bag" this is someone using a word in a manner that is a lot worse. Have we all heard it during our day playing or talking trash? Sure but that does not justify Shaw using the word.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
It's not a matter of getting away with something. I don't know any context where that language is not offensive. That some behaviors are tolerated the NHL and not elsewhere has nothing to do with anything, unless this is one of those behaviors. It isn't.

You brought up the whole try this at work and see what happens thing.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
All of these are somewhat inflated by score effects as the Blackhawks chased the lead in the 3rd period, but the fact is they outplayed the Blues by a pretty wide margin.

Q's boys, TVR and Rozsival, lost the game for the Hawks with egregious mistakes. Simple as that.

I just don't get it. Why can't he ice?

2-7
57 -4
52 - 32.

Why???????

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Shaw should be suspended, not only for homophobic word he screamed at the ref, but for his double bird flipping and the screaming of F.U. to them also.

The NHL is on the spot here considering they are a partner with the group "You Can Play". This organization has already contacted the NHL about Shaw's antics. Here is the 1st paragraph of their Mission Statement.

''You Can Play is dedicated to ensuring equality, respect and safety for all athletes, without regard to sexual orientation and/or gender identity.''

I heard that the Hawks had done a promo for the group also. I'm interested to see how this plays out.

Instl is online now Report Post

Did you really just put that your online now and you want someone to report your post? :help:

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Go to your place of work and put a stick into someone's face. Or perhaps even face wash them. See how long you keep your job.

Put this to the test.

Just walked into my boss's office and facewashed him, and he responded by hitting me in the head with a stapler.

So I think we're good here.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Put this to the test.

Just walked into my boss's office and facewashed him, and he responded by hitting me in the head with a stapler.

So I think we're good here.

You are Canadian so it doesn't count. Your boss most likely chirped you on the way in and called you a pigeon.

marco1475

Mar 17, 2015
I am worried that during Game 4 Q tried all combinations of players possible, including all the different ones this forum (and me included) were suggesting would turn things around. He had Keith and Seabs and Toews and Kane together, Hossa was bouncing around the lineup, etc.

What else is there to try? Bring Erhoff in, sure, but after that he's out of options. I have a bad feeling we've been measured and found wanting. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I don't see what the Hawks can change to win. It looks to me they've been trying their best, flipping the switch, even Q got out of their way with his line-up nonsense ... and they still lost :(

Tarasenko is outplaying Kane and even throwing Keith, Hammer, Kruger, and Hossa out against him didn't seem to work. To be fair, Tarasenko's first goal was a smart line-matching move by Hitch, because the Blues managed to hem in that Hawks line for a shift in their own end and once they had to go change Hitch brought out Tarasenko against TVR and Seabrook and the rest was history. And even if the Hawks' PK units would cheat towards Tarasenko (to prevent his second goal), I have a feeling the other Blues PP players would make us pay ...

Elliot is as good as Crawford and the Blues defense doesn't allow any east-west passes. Elliot doesn't show any signs of falling apart and his major weakness is being expertly covered by his defensemen. Not to mention the Blues were always intercepting passes even in the other two zones (Kane, TVR).

The Hawks' depth players are being handled by Blues' depth players. They are playing each other to a standstill, which puts even more pressure on the top lines to perform. There is nothing to cover for their lack of production.

Stating the obvious here, but the Hawks' special teams are worse than the Blues' special teams. Before the series started everybody said that if the Blues take penalties, the Hawks will make them pay. Well, the Hawks were gifted an abundance of powerplays, but have only 3 goals to show for it. What's worse, out of the other 5 goals the Hawks scored, one was an empty-netter and two were complete flukes (Anisimov not hitting the puck properly and Tarasenko's deflection scoring for us), which leaves really only two goals on 5v5 that you can argue were the result of out-playing the opponent. I understand that ugly goals count as well, but it seems the Hawks have scored on 5v5 due to luck, not skill.

I want to believe that the Hawks can turn this around, but all that is left for them to do is "play better", which assumes they haven't been trying their best so far.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
For the Hawks' sake hopefully Shaw is available and ready for tomorrow night's game. Considering the fact that he's tied for the team lead in scoring, they'll probably need him.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
So the Hawks decided it was a good idea to release a statement from both the organization and Shaw then post it on Facebook. The comments are not a good look for the Hawks. What the **** were they thinking?

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
It's a terrible place to start any argument though. It's just so, so different a world.

The real world and workplace has heated situations as well, and as a society we hold each other to certain standards. In contrast to what doughboy was saying, I don't see any principal suggesting why Andrew Shaw should be exempt from these standards, regardless of the NHL being an atypical workplace.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
So the Hawks decided it was a good idea to release a statement from both the organization and Shaw then post it on Facebook. The comments are not a good look for the Hawks. What the **** were they thinking?

the commenters are the problem. the hawks and shaw have every reason to distribute their statement to conventional media and social media.

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
I am worried that during Game 4 Q tried all combinations of players possible, including all the different ones this forum (and me included) were suggesting would turn things around. He had Keith and Seabs and Toews and Kane together, Hossa was bouncing around the lineup, etc.

What else is there to try? Bring Erhoff in, sure, but after that he's out of options. I have a bad feeling we've been measured and found wanting. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I don't see what the Hawks can change to win. It looks to me they've been trying their best, flipping the switch, even Q got out of their way with his line-up nonsense ... and they still lost :(

Tarasenko is outplaying Kane and even throwing Keith, Hammer, Kruger, and Hossa out against him didn't seem to work. To be fair, Tarasenko's first goal was a smart line-matching move by Hitch, because the Blues managed to hem in that Hawks line for a shift in their own end and once they had to go change Hitch brought out Tarasenko against TVR and Seabrook and the rest was history. And even if the Hawks' PK units would cheat towards Tarasenko (to prevent his second goal), I have a feeling the other Blues PP players would make us pay ...

Elliot is as good as Crawford and the Blues defense doesn't allow any east-west passes. Elliot doesn't show any signs of falling apart and his major weakness is being expertly covered by his defensemen. Not to mention the Blues were always intercepting passes even in the other two zones (Kane, TVR).

The Hawks' depth players are being handled by Blues' depth players. They are playing each other to a standstill, which puts even more pressure on the top lines to perform. There is nothing to cover for their lack of production.

Stating the obvious here, but the Hawks' special teams are worse than the Blues' special teams. Before the series started everybody said that if the Blues take penalties, the Hawks will make them pay. Well, the Hawks were gifted an abundance of powerplays, but have only 3 goals to show for it. What's worse, out of the other 5 goals the Hawks scored, one was an empty-netter and two were complete flukes (Anisimov not hitting the puck properly and Tarasenko's deflection scoring for us), which leaves really only two goals on 5v5 that you can argue were the result of out-playing the opponent. I understand that ugly goals count as well, but it seems the Hawks have scored on 5v5 due to luck, not skill.

I want to believe that the Hawks can turn this around, but all that is left for them to do is "play better", which assumes they haven't been trying their best so far.

The Blues have had quite a bit of luck this series too.

And if it's any consolation, all the losses have been by one goal. It's not like the Hawks are getting blown out every game. They're all close. Those last three sentences I typed all say the same thing, but regardless.

I don't really think the Hawks are gonna be able to win three in a row, but at the same time. Miracles can happen.

Obviously lose game 5 and it's over. But if the Hawks manage to win it, then we shift back to Chicago and they ride the momentum of holding on and going home and not wanting to be eliminated in front of their fans..... They take game 6. Then STL gets very nervous in an anything-can-happen game 7.

It's not out of the realm of possibility.

Kane is playing quite sub-par but he's still tied for the most points on the team, with Shaw and Keith. If Kane just gets one past Elliott, hopefully early in game 5, more will come.

The Hawks need to not let the Blues get to their heads. These dumb penalties are so un-Blackhawks-like. The way to beat the Blues is with skill, not out-gooning them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Gold Medal Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,850.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Empoli vs AS Roma
    Empoli vs AS Roma