Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Nate Thompson (2 Years, $1.65M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I imagine some of Thompson’s detractors don’t like Boucher. Since Nate is one of Boucher’s guys they don’t like him and are upset that Boucher got his way. Pyatt probably falls in this category too.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I imagine some of Thompson’s detractors don’t like Boucher. Since Nate is one of Boucher’s guys they don’t like him and are upset that Boucher got his way. Pyatt probably falls in this category too.
At the start of the UFA period, what are the positions you feel we NEEDED to address? 4th line center (though he plays more than that) would have been pretty low on my list personally.

That is probably why I have been hard on Thompson, through no fault of his own. He was the guy our management got to improve the team, when it was blatantly obvious that there were much bigger areas in dire need of improvement. I'm projecting my own questions of managements vision onto Thompson, unfairly I suppose.

He's been a fine 4th line C, but this team did not need that IMO.

It's just a coincidence I also don't like Boucher's style, but I have been saying that since November of 2016, as well as our playoff run. Very smart hockey man, very stubborn and stringent hockey man.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
At the start of the UFA period, what are the positions you feel we NEEDED to address? 4th line center (though he plays more than that) would have been pretty low on my list personally.

That is probably why I have been hard on Thompson, through no fault of his own. He was the guy our management got to improve the team, when it was blatantly obvious that there were much bigger areas in dire need of improvement. I'm projecting my own questions of managements vision onto Thompson, unfairly I suppose.

It's just a coincidence I also don't like Boucher's style, but I have been saying that since November of 2016, as well as our playoff run. Very smart hockey man, very stubborn and stringent hockey man.
how was 4th line center not a role we had to fill? Unless you quickly forgot how unplayable our 4th line was against Pittsburgh in OT that did us in?

edit: i mis-read your post

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I guess, but were the pieces we needed (Methot replacement, top 6 winger to replace MacArthur, anything else?) available at a price this team would be willing to pay? I don't think we were going to see Pageau or Smith slot into the 4th line center role, so it was either go out and get one at UFA, or chance it with a rookie like Paul, White, or Chlapik. I think it would have been a mistake going into the year with one of the rookies as our 4th line center (not ideal for development), so grabbing one via UFA seems pretty reasonable.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I guess, but were the pieces we needed (Methot replacement, top 6 winger to replace MacArthur, anything else?) available at a price this team would be willing to pay? I don't think we were going to see Pageau or Smith slot into the 4th line center role, so it was either go out and get one at UFA, or chance it with a rookie like Paul, White, or Chlapik. I think it would have been a mistake going into the year with one of the rookies as our 4th line center (not ideal for development), so grabbing one via UFA seems pretty reasonable.
I would think that a team that had as much success as the Sens did last year would try and improve the team. We not only never improved, we became worse.

Now, I've said that I don't think we were as good as the playoffs led us to believe before the year started, but when you head into a year losing a top D and doing nothing to replace him, it begs the question of what our direction is. If we were truly goi for it in the Karlsson window, you don't head into the season with the roster we had.

It's why I have been questioning our vision and direction for the better part of a year. Are we trying to win?

Nate Thompson is a fantastic add to a cup challenging team with other areas already addressed. He's not a great add for a team with so many large, large holes in integral spots in the lineup.

Signing Thompson is great for the 4th line Center spot. What does having a great 4th line Center do when you have glaring, obvious holes in your top 6 and top 4?

I know I'm probably rambling and probably in the minority, but it makes zero sense to me.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I would think that a team that had as much success as the Sens did last year would try and improve the team. We not only never improved, we became worse.

Now, I've said that I don't think we were as good as the playoffs led us to believe before the year started, but when you head into a year losing a top D and doing nothing to replace him, it begs the question of what our direction is. If we were truly goi for it in the Karlsson window, you don't head into the season with the roster we had.

It's why I have been questioning our vision and direction for the better part of a year. Are we trying to win?

Nate Thompson is a fantastic add to a cup challenging team with other areas already addressed. He's not a great add for a team with so many large, large holes in integral spots in the lineup.

Signing Thompson is great for the 4th line Center spot. What does having a great 4th line Center do when you have glaring, obvious holes in your top 6 and top 4?

I know I'm probably rambling and probably in the minority, but it makes zero sense to me.
Gotcha, not so much being critical about signing Thompson, but rather being critical about not addressing other issues first. I think that's fair, but can be separated from Thompson entirely.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Gotcha, not so much being critical about signing Thompson, but rather being critical about not addressing other issues first. I think that's fair, but can be separated from Thompson entirely.
Yeah, that's what I was saying above

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Yeah Thompson is good and hopefully sticks around. Just is overpaid a bit. But what's new there?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
thomson has been fine. he could be a fine 3rd line guy
Would need to double his offense to fit that role on a good team.

He's usually good for 15-20 points. 30-40 points would be a good 3rd liner. Not good enough for the top 6 but perfect for the 3rd line. (kinda like pageau or smith on his good years)

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

We did need a 4th line centre though. Unless you wanted Nick Paul in that role.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We did need a 4th line centre though. Unless you wanted Nick Paul in that role.
Well, we needed:

Top 4 D
Top 6 winger

Much more, so yes, I was disappointed that out of the 3 positions we needed to fill, we were able to fill the easiest position in the league, while leaving two positions that are actually integral to a good team unfulfilled.

I mean, congrats we got our 4th line centre, and he's a pretty good one. Too bad we went into a season where we were determined to win with big holes in the top 4 and 6.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Well, we needed:

Top 4 D
Top 6 winger

Much more, so yes, I was disappointed that out of the 3 positions we needed to fill, we were able to fill the easiest position in the league, while leaving two positions that are actually integral to a good team unfulfilled.

I mean, congrats we got our 4th line centre, and he's a pretty good one. Too bad we went into a season where we were determined to win with big holes in the top 4 and 6.

I agree these more important areas have been ignored to the detriment of the team.. I like Thompson as a 4th line C.. but its no where close to a tipping point kind of acquisition. Dorion has overestimated the roster and underestimated the loss of Methot... and the loss of "Erik Karlsson's Partner". Getting Thompson to play on the 4th line is fine.. Dorion did not go far enough to address the more important needs two years running.

Reactions: DrEasy

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Well, we needed:

Top 4 D
Top 6 winger

I agree we had bigger needs, but those are tougher to fill. We did need a 4th line centre and we got one.

I have no issues with Thompson.

Reactions: Deku

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Well, we needed:

Top 4 D
Top 6 winger

I agree, but I also recognize that we, as an organization, rarely if ever spend money on these positions in UFA. Plus, those players have to want to come here, which is occasionally a struggle because some UFA's don't like sleepy, small cold northern cities with high taxes (some do, sure, but there is a certain "type" that don't, we're not a destination for 100% of players).

Who was available to fill those roles on July 1st who would have been difference-makers on this team?

TOP-FOUR DEFENCE
- Alzner @ $4.7/year for 5 years.
- Shattenkirk @ $6.7mil/year for 4 years
- Shultz @ $5.5mil/year for 3 years

TOP-6 WINGER
- Justin Williams @ $4.5/year for 2 years (36 years old)
- Marleau @ 6.25mil/year for 3 years (38 years old)
- Radulov @ $6.25mil/year for 5 years

... that's about it. Did we have a chance at any of those guys, or did we want them? Radulov I like, but would he have even picked us? And if so, how much more would we have had to pay him past the $6.25mil Dallas gave him to make up for in the difference in taxes?

Other than Radulov, not many of those guys make sense. The Marleau contract in Toronto already looks bad, and will only look worse the longer it goes. Williams was a crap-shoot as a 36 year old. On D, Shattenkirk is redundant for us because Karlsson, so no there (plus also he wanted to play for his boyhood team the Rangers, so doubt we were even an option for him). Shultz at $5.5/year is a big gamble, he's not giving the Pens that much value this year in his play. Alzner (puke) no.

I mean, yes. In theory, I also wanted us to address a top-6 winger and a top-4 D. But unless we were trading for either of those, it doesn't appear as though there were any available via signings. Maybe we make a trade for one then, but I don't know if signing Thompson really makes a huge difference in that regard at that point.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Don’t like his contract or his performance. Should have just kept Wingels for half the price.

As underwhelming as he was for us last year, i was kind of hoping we would toss a one year at Wingels to keep him around and see if he could get back to his early SJ days. Looks to be having a bounce back year in Chicago if his production is any indication, might hit 10 goals, presumably playing on the 4th line.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I agree, but I also recognize that we, as an organization, rarely if ever spend money on these positions in UFA. Plus, those players have to want to come here, which is occasionally a struggle because some UFA's don't like sleepy, small cold northern cities with high taxes (some do, sure, but there is a certain "type" that don't, we're not a destination for 100% of players).

Who was available to fill those roles on July 1st who would have been difference-makers on this team?

TOP-FOUR DEFENCE
- Alzner @ $4.7/year for 5 years.
- Shattenkirk @ $6.7mil/year for 4 years
- Shultz @ $5.5mil/year for 3 years

TOP-6 WINGER
- Justin Williams @ $4.5/year for 2 years (36 years old)
- Marleau @ 6.25mil/year for 3 years (38 years old)
- Radulov @ $6.25mil/year for 5 years

... that's about it. Did we have a chance at any of those guys, or did we want them? Radulov I like, but would he have even picked us? And if so, how much more would we have had to pay him past the $6.25mil Dallas gave him to make up for in the difference in taxes?

Other than Radulov, not many of those guys make sense. The Marleau contract in Toronto already looks bad, and will only look worse the longer it goes. Williams was a crap-shoot as a 36 year old. On D, Shattenkirk is redundant for us because Karlsson, so no there (plus also he wanted to play for his boyhood team the Rangers, so doubt we were even an option for him). Shultz at $5.5/year is a big gamble, he's not giving the Pens that much value this year in his play. Alzner (puke) no.

I mean, yes. In theory, I also wanted us to address a top-6 winger and a top-4 D. But unless we were trading for either of those, it doesn't appear as though there were any available via signings. Maybe we make a trade for one then, but I don't know if signing Thompson really makes a huge difference in that regard at that point.
100%, UFA is almost always a desolate wasteland for quality guys, especially for the Sens.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around a team that is apparently "all-in to win" as we seemed to have been, and letting the team start go into the season as we did.

We could/should have traded for a top 4 D in the offseason with some of the assets we gave up for Duchene (C wasn't exactly a piece that was NEEDED, though I do agree with the thought process of needing a #1 guy, which Turris and Brassard weren't, and we believe Duchene was). It's very, very obvious that was a glaring hole that needed to be amended.

Top 6 winger would/will have been a pretty simple fix mid-season, as guys that fit that description are traded every year. Getting a guy like Vanek for example. I don't mind starting the season off with a placeholder there.

Thompson, while a very nice 4th line center, is just that. A good 4th line center on a team that already struggled to score goals.

Again, I'm likely taking out my frustration at the views and thought processes of our management unfairly onto Thompson as he and Oduya are the only additions to the team made between the 2016/17 playoffs and start of the regular 2017/18 offseason, with the losses of Methot, McArthur, Stalber, and Wingles. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the losses of some of those guys were big, but losing Methot and replacing him with nothing was an absolute disgrace. Disgrace is putting it lightly, anyone worth their salt would have plugged that huge hole prior to the season starting; it would have been #1 on the docket.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Useful player on a contender but right now we don't need him. Been slightly disappointed with his physical play too

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
As underwhelming as he was for us last year, i was kind of hoping we would toss a one year at Wingels to keep him around and see if he could get back to his early SJ days. Looks to be having a bounce back year in Chicago if his production is any indication, might hit 10 goals, presumably playing on the 4th line.

Pyatt, Thompson and Wingels would be a decent fourth line actually.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
100%, UFA is almost always a desolate wasteland for quality guys, especially for the Sens.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around a team that is apparently "all-in to win" as we seemed to have been, and letting the team start go into the season as we did.

We could/should have traded for a top 4 D in the offseason with some of the assets we gave up for Duchene (C wasn't exactly a piece that was NEEDED, though I do agree with the thought process of needing a #1 guy, which Turris and Brassard weren't, and we believe Duchene was). It's very, very obvious that was a glaring hole that needed to be amended.

Top 6 winger would/will have been a pretty simple fix mid-season, as guys that fit that description are traded every year. Getting a guy like Vanek for example. I don't mind starting the season off with a placeholder there.

Thompson, while a very nice 4th line center, is just that. A good 4th line center on a team that already struggled to score goals.

Again, I'm likely taking out my frustration at the views and thought processes of our management unfairly onto Thompson as he and Oduya are the only additions to the team made between the 2016/17 playoffs and start of the regular 2017/18 offseason, with the losses of Methot, McArthur, Stalber, and Wingles. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the losses of some of those guys were big, but losing Methot and replacing him with nothing was an absolute disgrace. Disgrace is putting it lightly, anyone worth their salt would have plugged that huge hole prior to the season starting; it would have been #1 on the docket.

Hey, I get it. No worries.

I was just pointing out the piss-poor UFA market from this past offseason, to put our lack of activity in context.

Handles1919

Jul 27, 2016
ottawa
Would need to double his offense to fit that role on a good team.

He's usually good for 15-20 points. 30-40 points would be a good 3rd liner. Not good enough for the top 6 but perfect for the 3rd line. (kinda like pageau or smith on his good years)
i think hes still a good enough guy to haver on ur 3rd line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad