Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Nate Thompson (2 Years, $1.65M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The issue is not necessarily Thompson's contract. The issue is having multiple multi year contracts for marginal NHL players
No the issue is having an owner that wont bury these marginal contracts,every team has them ....Hammond was an easy buyout....did it happen??Nope

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think it was the third one, he went right to his net and left Subban, or the point, completely open.

I was actually thinking of the time he came as the second man in a two against one board battle whith Ceci and Hartnell and did sweet f all, then gave up position on the 2nd pred, leaving him a free path behind the net to setup the scoring goal (which Chabot should probably have been covering) but sure, the 3rd goal works too.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Oh really? You're telling me all we need is centers who can score AND defend well? Oh shoot, it's so easy! WHY DIDN'T ANYONE ELSE THINK OF THAT BEFORE. I think you just broke the system with that groundbreaking idea! Hockey will never be the same! We are entering a new age of hockey strategy!!!

I mean, s**t, son, let's just all go down to the god damned DOLLARAMA and pick us up some CENTERS WHO CAN SCORE AND DEFEND WELL. Should cost us what, ten bucks?
You’re trying way too hard.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
No the issue is having an owner that wont bury these marginal contracts,every team has them ....Hammond was an easy buyout....did it happen??Nope

You know what else is an issue? GM’s giving out bad contracts. Hammond shouldn’t have got three years in the first place. Same with Condon.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You know what else is an issue? GM’s giving out bad contracts. Hammond shouldn’t have got three years in the first place. Same with Condon.
They all give out bad contracts...If we want to keep players sometimes you have to beat out a rival to do so,or the player wants more term before he resigns,you either give it to him or lose the player.....The problem with most here is that they seem to think people are perfect...Everybody makes mistakes,even the best GM,s in the league...Dorion hasnt crippled this franchise,he has made a bad deal or two. Resigned, a minor player or two to an extra year here and there...But the way some of you make it out you would think he is the second coming of Milbury...

Reactions: pzeeman

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
They all give out bad contracts...If we want to keep players sometimes you have to beat out a rival to do so,or the player wants more term before he resigns,you either give it to him or lose the player.....The problem with most here is that they seem to think people are perfect...Everybody makes mistakes,even the best GM,s in the league...Dorion hasnt crippled this franchise,he has made a bad deal or two. Resigned, a minor player or two to an extra year here and there...But the way some of you make it out you would think he is the second coming of Milbury...

Oh give me a f***ing break pal. We weren’t going to survive if we gave Condon, Hammond and Michalek 2 years instead of three?

This team overvalued it’s own players. If you can’t see that, that’s your problem.

By the way, I’m not just talking about Dorion, this goes back to Murray. Too loyal to players that aren’t even that good. They give them too much money and too much term.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
You're both right.

Ideally, you want a full roster of good contracts and value players. But, it's almost impossible. Because people are imperfect beings, you also need an owner who has the cash to bury simple mistakes. Not necessarily saying owners have to buyout monster contracts like Ryan (half the owners in the league can't stomach that), but all NHL level owners should have the ability to erase a Hammond-level mistake.

Reactions: topshelf15

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
You're both right.

Ideally, you want a full roster of good contracts and value players. But, it's almost impossible. Because people are imperfect beings, you also need an owner who has the cash to bury simple mistakes. Not necessarily saying owners have to buyout monster contracts like Ryan (half the owners in the league can't stomach that), but all NHL level owners should have the ability to erase a Hammond-level mistake.

You want an owner who spends on the roster, coaching staff, hockey ops and can retain salary and buy guys out once in a while.

You also want a GM who spends wisely. It’s fine to have a few guys who are overpaid as long as it’s not ridiculous. This team has a number of bad contracts right now. They had three very bad ones they dealt for Phaneuf.

Blame the owner for not buying all or some of them out if you want, but maybe some of them shouldn’t have been signed in the first place, or maybe less money and less term should have been handed out to some of those players.

That Condon deal was absurd. I wanted him back, but at that price? No way. You can’t find another backup? 2.4 AAV for three years? 3 million in year three? On a budget team? Are you kidding me? That’s on Dorion, not Melnyk. So is the two year extension to Burrows.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You're both right.

Exactly Lombardi in LA,Tallon in Chicago,Holland in Detroit all cup winners..All with unmoveable contracts that make ours look like chump change

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You want an owner who spends on the roster, coaching staff, hockey ops and can retain salary and buy guys out once in a while.

You also want a GM who spends wisely. It’s fine to have a few guys who are overpaid as long as it’s not ridiculous. This team has a number of bad contracts right now. They had three very bad ones they dealt for Phaneuf.

Blame the owner for not buying all or some of them out if you want, but maybe some of them shouldn’t have been signed in the first place, or maybe less money and less term should have been handed out to some of those players.

That Condon deal was absurd. I wanted him back, but at that price? No way. You can’t find another backup? 2.4 AAV for three years? 3 million in year three? On a budget team? Are you kidding me? That’s on Dorion, not Melnyk. So is the two year extension to Burrows.
You think we were the only team looking at Condon??Burrows was a mistake in hindsight,but again we werent the only team interested..Knowing this Burrows took advanage,so we took a chance

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
You think we were the only team looking at Condon??Burrows was a mistake in hindsight,but again we werent the only team interested..Knowing this Burrows took advanage,so we took a chance

Burrows was not a mistake in hindsight, it was a mistake at the time. Giving 2 year contracts to 36 year olds having a bad year is a good idea to you?

Glad you’re not our GM.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Lol at Phaneuf and Ryan’s deals being chump change.
Yep and most here were ok with the Ryan resigning,hell he was making 5.5 when we got him...We knew we had to overpay and we did.Phaneuf was an absolute upgrade on what we had on the left side of our defense,so we traded dead money to get him...I understand being upset but try not to use some much hindsight

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Burrows was not a mistake in hindsight, it was a mistake at the time. Giving 2 year contracts to 36 year olds having a bad year is a good idea to you?

Glad you’re not our GM.
Meh ,Even if i was there is nobody that would be able to ever satisfy a person that expects perfection....Would be nice to see you with the job ,so we could all take your head off with the slightest error

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Yep and most here were ok with the Ryan resigning,hell he was making 5.5 when we got him...We knew we had to overpay and we did.Phaneuf was an absolute upgrade on what we had on the left side of our defense,so we traded dead money to get him...I understand being upset but try not to use some much hindsight

Not everything is hindsight pal, I’m sorry you don’t get that.

I didn’t like the following when it happened

Michalek 3 years at 4 million
Phillips 2 years at 2.5 million
Hammond getting 3 years
Condon 3 years at 2.4 AAV
Burrows trade and extension

Now, explain something to me Mr Shelf, if I didn’t like these moves when they happened, how exactly is that hindsight? I’ll wait eagerly for your response.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Meh ,Even if i was there is nobody that would be able to ever satisfy a person that expects perfection....Would be nice to see you with the job ,so we could all take your head off with the slightest error

I do not expect perfection. I expect competence. That too much to ask?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Not everything is hindsight pal, I’m sorry you don’t get that.

I didn’t like the following when it happened

Michalek 3 years at 4 million
Phillips 2 years at 2.5 million
Hammond getting 3 years
Condon 3 years at 2.4 AAV
Burrows trade and extension

Now, explain something to me Mr Shelf, if I didn’t like these moves when they happened, how exactly is that hindsight? I’ll wait eagerly for your response.
Go apply for the job then ,Mr Sparky...How about you list things you were actually wrong about,, instead of thumping your chest about what you were right on...I bet there is more you were wrong about than right

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Go apply for the job then ,Mr Sparky then...How about you list things you were actually wrong about,, instead of thumping your chest about what you were right on...I bet there is more you were wrong about than right

You did not answer my question. Big shock. So much surprise there.

Yeah, god forbid people complain about a team in 29th place. Clearly I’m the only Sens fan around who is unhappy.

Look, if you’re happy with the team, great. If you think the team is spending money wisely, that’s great too. I’m sorry for having a different opinion then you. I really am.

If you believe giving 2 year contracts to 36 year olds whose best days are clearly behind them, great. If you think giving backup goalies 3 year contracts is a good idea, that’s fine too.

24.5 million. That’s how much money this team is spending in actual dollars on Ryan, Phaneuf, Anderson, Condon and Burrows next year. Good use of money right? Bang up job by our GM’s on that one. But hey, I expect perfection don’t I?

Nah, just some f***ing common sense, that’s all.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You did not answer my question. Big shock. So much surprise there.

Yeah, god forbid people complain about a team in 29th place. Clearly I’m the only Sens fan around who is unhappy.

Look, if you’re happy with the team, great. If you think the team is spending money wisely, that’s great too. I’m sorry for having a different opinion then you. I really am.

If you believe giving 2 year contracts to 36 year olds whose best days are clearly behind them, great. If you think giving backup goalies 3 year contracts is a good idea, that’s fine too.

24.5 million. That’s how much money this team is spending in actual dollars on Ryan, Phaneuf, Anderson, Condon and Burrows next year. Good use of money right? Bang up job by our GM’s on that one. But hey, I expect perfection don’t I?

Nah, just some ****ing common sense, that’s all.
What are you going on about now??I hate where the team is ,and yes we need to change some things...I just dont fly off the handle and blame one thing or person ,its a team sport it takes alot of people,and circumstances for it to go off the rails this badly...If you want the GM,s head on a pike to satisfy you thats fine,but just because i dont doesnt make me have a less informed opinion than yours

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Dorion definitely needs to up his game. No disputing that. Of course, Melynk also needs to provide him with resources. Dorion needs competent staff surrounding him to help.

That's the problem....there are holes everywhere. Cheap owner, inexperienced GM, small office staff, a few bad legacy contracts and no rope from ownership to deal with them, etc.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
What are you going on about now??I hate where the team is ,and yes we need to change some things...I just dont fly off the handle and blame one thing or person ,its a team sport it takes alot of people,and circumstances for it to go off the rails this badly...If you want the GM,s head on a pike to satisfy you thats fine,but just because i dont doesnt make me have a less informed opinion than yours

No, you don’t seem to want to put any blame on the GM. You act like every team does what we do. I never said this is all on management. It’s a combination of a lot of different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad