Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Chris Kelly (1 yr $900,000)

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I like it. He can play centre or left wing. If he's fourth line centre Lazar could move to third line right wing. Buddy Robinson is currently listed fourth on the right side depth chart. If this signing keeps him off the team I'm happy. The only thing Robnson is good at is being big.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
He's 35 and is just coming off a major injury that kept him on the sidelines for a whole year. There's a huge chance that he struggles and that will render 2/3rds of our 4th line useless.

But on the flip side if he can be a solid PKer and provide ~20 points it'll be a solid add for 900k.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I like it. He can play centre or left wing. If he's fourth line centre Lazar could move to third line right wing. Buddy Robinson is currently listed fourth on the right side depth chart. If this signing keeps him off the team I'm happy. The only thing Robnson is good at is being big.

Not true. He's a good PKer and is has good wheels. I wouldn't mind Robinson on the team.

I'm indifferent about this signing. It's kind of cool to see Kelly with the Sens, but on the other hand don't think he'll bring that much. If he can shore up the PK then I'll be happy.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Not including 'retiring contracts' what other players have returned to Ottawa for a 2nd stint?

I have (off the top of my head):
Jody Hull
Shaun Van Allen
Mike Comrie
Chris Kelly

Any others?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
At worst he's probably an overpaid PK coach.

For all the hate Dorion is getting by some for this, at the very least he's actually addressing problem areas for the team. Coaching staff, PK, Bingo, potential top line C. It's a quiet but potentially productive offseason.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I'm sure Nick Paul is a little cheesed at this signing. Just coming off being awarded the hardest worker at development camp, I wouldn't be surprised if he thought he had earned himself a bit of an inside track to a NHL roster spot.

That being said, if Kelly playing 4C bumps Paul to the 1C spot in Bingo, then this is a good thing. Sens rushing prospects is crap and should never happen. I'm already worried Lazar's development has been hurt by him being rushed.

I'm curious to see what Kelly has left in the tank and whether he will struggle shaking off the rust of basically a full year away from hockey + rehab from a major injury. If he does struggle, it's a 1 year deal at minimal dollars, so basically no risk, other than him using up one of the 50 pro contract spots.

For Sens fans that are reasonably starved for Dorion to do literally anything this off season that isn't a Bingo signing, I can see how this move falls quite flat. I will admit that my first reaction to the news was, "Ummmm, why?" After letting it sink in for a bit, it makes more sense now.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
Isn't this basically admitting that we should have never let Condra go?

That would be hindsight. Condra would probably be nice to have for the PK, but we didn't want to sign him for multiple years and thought a kid would step up. This is more or so bringing a respected hard worker back to Ottawa, who now has cup experience and could maybe teach the kids how a battleship works.

Also Kelly still lives in Ottawa, so I could see him landing a job with the org after he hangs them up. Depends what he got left in the tank after his injury how soon that will be.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm sure Nick Paul is a little cheesed at this signing. Just coming off being awarded the hardest worker at development camp, I wouldn't be surprised if he thought he had earned himself a bit of an inside track to a NHL roster spot.

That being said, if Kelly playing 4C bumps Paul to the 1C spot in Bingo, then this is a good thing. Sens rushing prospects is crap and should never happen. I'm already worried Lazar's development has been hurt by him being rushed.

I'm curious to see what Kelly has left in the tank and whether he will struggle shaking off the rust of basically a full year away from hockey + rehab from a major injury. If he does struggle, it's a 1 year deal at minimal dollars, so basically no risk, other than him using up one of the 50 pro contract spots.

For Sens fans that are reasonably starved for Dorion to do literally anything this off season that isn't a Bingo signing, I can see how this move falls quite flat. I will admit that my first reaction to the news was, "Ummmm, why?" After letting it sink in for a bit, it makes more sense now.

The open spot is 4th line LW, isn't it? Paul will compete with Dzingel and Puempel

Top 6 of Mac Turris, Ryan Hoff, Zib, and Stone
3rd line of Smith, Pageau and Lazar I guess,

4th line is x-Kelly-Neil

Leaving Paul, Dzingel, and Puempel to battle it out for the last spot (plus the extra)

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The open spot is 4th line LW, isn't it? Paul will compete with Dzingel and Puempel

4th line is x-Kelly-Neil

Leaving Paul, Dzingel, and Puempel to battle it out for the last spot (plus the extra)

And competition is a good thing. We don't wan to just hand out roster posts to the kids.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI

4th line is x-Kelly-Neil

In theory yes it is a battle. But contract status comes into to. And Puempel needs to clear waivers. Its his to lose at this point

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Btw since you guys aren't a cap team, there's absolutely nothing to hate about the deal. It can't possibly hurt your team and can only help. It would be another story of Melnyk spent to the cap.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Not including 'retiring contracts' what other players have returned to Ottawa for a 2nd stint?

I have (off the top of my head):
Jody Hull
Shaun Van Allen
Mike Comrie
Chris Kelly

Any others?

Was Randy Robitaille a double dipper?

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Was Randy Robitaille a double dipper?

Nope.

Alex Auld can be added to that list (along with Corvo).

Alfie signed a one day contract before retiring. Does that count?

Last edited:

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Excellent depth signing. Does anyone remember what our roster looked like towards the end of the season when the injury bug hit? Yikes. Guys like Buddy Robinson, Puempel, Dzingel and especially Gomez are not taking shifts on contending teams. (I still cringe at Gomez - he simply couldn't play at the NHL level anymore, and his fancy stats were off-the-charts awful.)

If Kelly can play regularly for us, great. If not, he is a low cost guy to keep around as the 13th forward and a mentor for the young guys. I'd rather have him as a press box semi regular than a young guy who should be playing top six minutes in Bingo instead.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site

4th line is x-Kelly-Neil

We clearly need Vermette back now!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad