Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Chris Kelly (1 yr $900,000)

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
A depth signing. Pushes everyone down a spot on the depth chart; allows the kids not to be rushed and develop in Bingo. Decent signing. Still need to enhance the back end. Would have hoped for a Dman signing as its more of a priority. Hopefully it still comes to fruition.

Kelly is the 4th line Center, likely 12th or even 13th forward (with Chris Neil), so who does he pushes down a spot on the depth chart exactly?

I agree with you. I hope the funds are still there to lock Hoffman up long term. Would not want to limit & handcuff ourselves of a signing core part of our team.

lol signing a depth player at 900 000$ is what would handcuff the team from signing Hoffman? I know "Melnyk is cheap" and everything but isn't exaggerated a bit? I mean, Sens did re-sign Anderson, Methot, Ryan and MacArthur when it was time to sign them... as long as all the RFAs we cared about

Who did we lose so far? Volchenkov and Gonchar were let go because it was the decision. Spezza was traded because he didn't want to re-sign and asked to be traded. Alfredsson left at 40 y/o...

Melnyk is certainly the problem, but Dorion and Co. have as much to do with this mess as anyone. Overpaying for underachieving guys who take up cap space. Its time for a regime change, and not a simple musical chairs switch witnessed this summer.

lol which mess are you talking about? :popcorn:

There is absolutely no mess at all. Sens are a young team who finished 19th in the league last year. This is certainly lower than what anyone cheering for the team would like but there is no "mess". A mess would be what happened in Edmonton or Toronto for the last decade. Let's not freak out for nothing in a Chris Kelly 1 year at 900K$ thread lol

Excellent depth signing. Does anyone remember what our roster looked like towards the end of the season when the injury bug hit? Yikes. Guys like Buddy Robinson, Puempel, Dzingel and especially Gomez are not taking shifts on contending teams. (I still cringe at Gomez - he simply couldn't play at the NHL level anymore, and his fancy stats were off-the-charts awful.).

What is wrong with Dzingel exactly?

Don't you think PD would make sure he is at 100% before signing him? Of course, you have no garanteed that it's not going to come back.

I hope PD did his research and ask Kelly and his agent how was the injury coming along.

Of course, NHL teams (multi-millions businesses) do some due diligence on their investments and likely get some sort of clearance by doctors but nothing is garanteed. Like with Pascal Leclaire lol, the guy was 100% healthy when we got him but it seems like he was destined to get injured again and again

Last edited:

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
This does nothing positive for the Sens and it's a testament to where the team is at right now. It hurts that from the list of remaining FAs, who are average but still much better than Kelly, this is the best we could do. It's a minor, feel good PR move in lieu of something real. Maybe he helps the kids, but it's a big maybe. More often than not bringing in an old guy, especially a moderately skilled one, disrupts the dynamic - the young guys just can't relate. I guess on some level I'm happy for Kelly and the move hits a nostalgia nerve, which is precisely what it's designed to do, but I'd trade that in a second for a smart hockey signing.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
This does nothing positive for the Sens and it's a testament to where the team is at right now. It hurts that from the list of remaining FAs, who are average but still much better than Kelly, this is the best we could do. It's a minor, feel good PR move in lieu of something real. Maybe he helps the kids, but it's a big maybe. More often than not bringing in an old guy, especially a moderately skilled one, disrupts the dynamic - the young guys just can't relate. I guess on some level I'm happy for Kelly and the move hits a nostalgia nerve, which is precisely what it's designed to do, but I'd trade that in a second for a smart hockey signing.

It doesn't have to be one or the other. Kelly's a smart signing that brings more defensive-mindedness and extra PK efficiency while sheltering the younger guys until their skills are more fully developed, at best. At worst, he's a healthy scratch and is far from breaking the bank.

The doom and gloom around here bugs me, although I can understand it. But on a signing like this? Absolutely feels like complaining for the sake of it.

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
The kids don't need sheltering, they need to play. Chris Kelly doesn't belong on the team.

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
The kids don't need sheltering, they need to play. Chris Kelly doesn't belong on the team.

We threw Lazar to the wolves and didn't shelter him, look how that went. Lazar wasn't able to fully blossom and that had an affect on his development. So if we give the younger guys more time to develop their skills and adjust to pro hockey in the AHL it's for the best and we are more likely to get full value out of them.

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
Guys, I love your enthusiasm, but in no universe is signing a beat up, 35 year old Chris Kelly the sign of a competitive team. When I read Dorion say "he helps us win now", I wanted to cry. If he believes that, than yes, I think a doom and gloom outlook is appropriate.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Guys, I love your enthusiasm, but in no universe is signing a beat up, 35 year old Chris Kelly the sign of a competitive team. When I read Dorion say "he helps us win now", I wanted to cry. If he believes that, than yes, I think a doom and gloom outlook is appropriate.

I laugh at some fans they wanted Ottawa to sign a beat up Milan Lucic to a multi year massive contract but signing Kelly to $900,000 is awful.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON

No, it's about not handing candy out to the younger guys anymore.

Exhibit 1 : Lazar

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I guess not being remotely related is funny to you?

Confused at the seemingly hostile tone – it's absolutely related. A spot being filled by a veteran on a cheap contract is a spot that's not available to a guy like (but not necessarily) Lazar, who could benefit from a dominant year in the AHL. Or not forcing Dzingel to punch above his weight. Or giving Paul a chance to further grow into his frame.

If you AT ALL COSTS want to push for a Stanley Cup this year, yeah, it might look like a bad signing. But despite whatever lip-service the team is paying at the moment, I'd put very good odds on the focus being the near future, not the here-and-now. Truth is we'll be hard-pressed to compete with the Tampas and Floridas of the world this year.

kex

Apr 4, 2012
Who did we lose so far? Volchenkov and Gonchar were let go because it was the decision. Spezza was traded because he didn't want to re-sign and asked to be traded. Alfredsson left at 40 y/o...
Chara?

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
Confused at the seemingly hostile tone – it's absolutely related. A spot being filled by a veteran on a cheap contract is a spot that's not available to a guy like (but not necessarily) Lazar, who could benefit from a dominant year in the AHL. Or not forcing Dzingel to punch above his weight. Or giving Paul a chance to further grow into his frame.

If you AT ALL COSTS want to push for a Stanley Cup this year, yeah, it might look like a bad signing. But despite whatever lip-service the team is paying at the moment, I'd put very good odds on the focus being the near future, not the here-and-now. Truth is we'll be hard-pressed to compete with the Tampas and Floridas of the world this year.

Sorry, the tone was meant for the poster who said he laughs at fans for wanting to sign Lucic but not Kelly, or some nonsense. I hit reply instead of quoting.

However, I still disagree with you:

I don't think management made this move with much/any intention of protecting a prospect. I think they did it to send a message to players that they take care of their own and to hit a nostalgia cord with some fans.

It reminds me of Detroit signing a well-past-his-prime Cleary or even Helm's new contract. Like Ottawa, Detroit has a hard time attracting free agents so they big up the loyalty factor. It's possible some players take notice, but I highly doubt it makes much of a difference to where they sign.

As far as the fans are concerned, of course there's some joy in the throwback, but I'd personally rather focus on the present or future rather than the past.

While I agree Lazar was rushed, he was 19 with the pressure of being a first round pick. Dzingel and McCormick are 24 with no such pressure and I'm sure you agree, they've looked great in their rolls. You might be right about Paul needing a little more time but he's 21 and awfully close in my opinion. I just don't see the need to protect all of these guys when one of them can easily fill the roll Kelly's been hired to do.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I for one am outraged at the audacity that Chris Kelly has for signing a cheap deal, to fill a role as a 4th line player, in a place where he wants to play.

My outrage at Kelly is only exceeded by my outrage at Pierre Dorion, for the unmitigated brash and contemptuous gall he has to sign a veteran 4th line player to fill a 4th line role on the 4th line, on a no-risk contract, and then have the flippant and impudent nerve to offer the press a throwaway, generic hockey-speak "say nothing" quote to the press about the signing.

By gods, if heads don't roll over this signing, then the team might as well move to Mexico.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Matt Cullen and Eric Fehr say hey.

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
I for one am outraged at the audacity that Chris Kelly has for signing a cheap deal, to fill a role as a 4th line player, in a place where he wants to play.

My outrage at Kelly is only exceeded by my outrage at Pierre Dorion, for the unmitigated brash and contemptuous gall he has to sign a veteran 4th line player to fill a 4th line role on the 4th line, on a no-risk contract, and then have the flippant and impudent nerve to offer the press a throwaway, generic hockey-speak "say nothing" quote to the press about the signing.

By gods, if heads don't roll over this signing, then the team might as well move to Mexico.

There he is! Funny that I was chided for my tone when you offer these gems.

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
While I agree Lazar was rushed, he was 19 with the pressure of being a first round pick. Dzingel and McCormick are 24 with no such pressure and I'm sure you agree, they've looked great in their roles. You might be right about Paul needing a little more time but he's 21 and awfully close in my opinion. I just don't see the need to protect all of these guys when one of them can easily fill the roll Kelly's been hired to do.

I say McCormick is Neil's replacement after this year, and Dzingle is a our 4th line winger. but I believe that Kelly deal is a bridge year for the remaining centers and give players like Paul an extra year to master his skill and improve on both ends of the nice, Kelly also bring plenty of veteran experience and that is great since we have one of the youngest teams in the league. He is also able to play on the PK considering we did terribly on special teams last year it could be a great boost.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
While I agree Lazar was rushed, he was 19 with the pressure of being a first round pick. Dzingel and McCormick are 24 with no such pressure and I'm sure you agree, they've looked great in their rolls. You might be right about Paul needing a little more time but he's 21 and awfully close in my opinion. I just don't see the need to protect all of these guys when one of them can easily fill the roll Kelly's been hired to do.

I don't know how this signing can be taken as anything but a small positive.

Strength down the middle is important. The club had a choice to make with regard to 3RW/4C in terms of Lazar's role moving forward. They appear to have made it and determined that his short term future at least is on the wing. This could be better for his development as a 3rd liner instead of a 4th liner.

Kelly over the others as a center. They have little to no experience and 4th line center is much more important than 4th line LW. Not only that, we do need more options for the PK and the rookies probably aren't the best suited until proven otherwise.

If we carry 3 youngsters to fill the last 4 forward spots with Neil, do we have sufficient call up depth? Are those kids getting enough playing time? Are they ready to come up? Does the organization even believe in all of them?

Kelly with probably be the 9th or 10th forward in ice time. I'd seen somebody call him the 12th or 13th, but 4th C / PK'er is a pretty important role.

How will Kelly do? Probably pretty well. Before last season, his offense and possession stayed relatively stable as a solid 3rd liner. Sure, he's gotten older and struggled with injuries last season... but we're demoting him a line and reducing his responsibility. He should easily be able to handle that with an off-season to recover.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $185.00