Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Chris Kelly (1 yr $900,000)

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Maybe Dorion thinks he can get a better player in a trade. As long as he doesn't have to give up too much, I'm ok with it. I'm not too impressed with the defenceman who are out there in the free agent market at the moment.

This. None of the defenceman out on the market are worth crying about.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
Sure sounds like whatever money we have left is going to Hoffman and Ceci...not really sure how that's Dorion's fault...

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
Hire a guy for a few months and already time for a regime change. Has he even signed anyone over $1m yet? What cap space could he possibly be wasting?

Few months? he's held a prominent role in the organization since early TM left for Buffalo [early January 2014]. He's had his fair share of involvement and responsibility in Ryan re-signing & also the Phaneuf trade. This recent title swap isn't a new beginning/fresh start, its a continuation of the same incompetent management team.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
So who's spot does Kelly take now? Turris, Zibanejad, Pageau, Smith, Lazar

I'd assume he'd take the 4th line centre position?

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Bruins fan - and I'm not gonna pretend I know the Sens needs at center, but Kelly should be a great 4th line/PK/"locker room guy" for you. At 900K, it's a reasonable price, especially considering that he's literally fractured all 3 types of leg bones (although not all on one leg, IIRC). Don't get too mad at this signing if he winds up on the bench for some time - there's a chance it'll go good, but there's a chance it won't.

I'm happy to see him signed by Ottawa. I was actually at the Garden for his last game, and it was a strange sight to see...he took practice fine, and literally seconds after coming over the boards for his first shift, he's curled up on the ice. That's not the way anyone should leave the NHL, so I'm glad he's getting a shot in Ottawa.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
So who's spot does Kelly take now? Turris, Zibanejad, Pageau, Smith, Lazar

I'd assume he'd take the 4th line centre position?

Yeah, which means Lazar is probably going to take that 3rd line RW spot, unless they think he needs time in the minors.

MacArthur Turris Ryan
Hoffman Zibanejad Stone
Smith Pageau
Kelly Neil

That leaves 2 spots open. Lazar has the inside track for that third line spot, which means Paul, Pyatt, Puempel and Dzingel can compete for the spot on the 4th line. I imagine we will carry 13 forwards and I would think Puempel will be one of them unless he's traded.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Yeah, which means Lazar is probably going to take that 3rd line RW spot, unless they think he needs time in the minors.

MacArthur Turris Ryan
Hoffman Zibanejad Stone
Smith Pageau
Kelly Neil

That leaves 2 spots open. Lazar has the inside track for that third line spot, which means Paul, Pyatt, Puempel and Dzingel can compete for the spot on the 4th line. I imagine we will carry 13 forwards and I would think Puempel will be one of them unless he's traded.

I specifically remember Lazar saying he was most comfortable playing centre. Kind of strange that they would sign someone to push him out of his natural position, especially if we want to see him progress in his development and if he has anything else to show from what we've already seen from him.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
This is to get him back in the organization for after he retires right?

salomonster

Oct 7, 2006
Double dot
Called this one.

Great depth signing.

If he outplays one of the younger players that's fine the young guys need internal competition.

With CK22 you know what you're getting hard work, excellent skating, backchecking penalty killer, very good at faceoffs. Plays in all situations in any forward position.

Happy about this.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I specifically remember Lazar saying he was most comfortable playing centre. Kind of strange that they would sign someone to push him out of his natural position, especially if we want to see him progress in his development and if he has anything else to show from what we've already seen from him.

Was Lazar not playing on the wing of Pageau near the end of last season? I feel Lazar will well, where ever he is.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
low risk-low reward. Has an opportunity to be the experience we needed on the Sens bottom line. Has been slowed down by injuries and age but if he can provide the experience and defensive instincts we know he has then he'll be a minor but nice piece imo

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
It's hard to believe that it's already been five years since Kelly was traded. Only EK, Neil and Smith (I think) were on the roster at the time.

Very happy to have him back on the team. :handclap:

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
What you guys get from him that you need badly is more veteran leadership and integrity. What he'll give you on the ice is 4th line minutes and PK time. He's not the same guy he once was, he just had too many injuries and surgeries after the age of 30. He'll be 36 when he laces them up, so just be realistic with your expectations. And I'll be the first guy to cheer on a great season from him in your jersey. Dude is a hero in Boston.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
low risk-low reward. Has an opportunity to be the experience we needed on the Sens bottom line. Has been slowed down by injuries and age but if he can provide the experience and defensive instincts we know he has then he'll be a minor but nice piece imo

If Kelly is fully healthy again he will be a very good 4th liner and PKer. If he really is near done and can't play nearly up to his old standards... He is a savvy vet, with leadership.. That can act as a virtual assistant coach... But as a teammate and player, to help out all the young guys on the team.

I love "Battleship" Kelly. If he is near done... Low risk. If he had something left to give... That is potentially a lot of upside for $900K.

If say, Nick Paul can beat out a healthy Kelly to be the 4th line centre... That says a lot about Paul.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
What you guys get from him that you need badly is more veteran leadership and integrity. What he'll give you on the ice is 4th line minutes and PK time. He's not the same guy he once was, he just had too many injuries and surgeries after the age of 30. He'll be 36 when he laces them up, so just be realistic with your expectations. And I'll be the first guy to cheer on a great season from him in your jersey. Dude is a hero in Boston.

It's nice to hear that he was so highly thought of in Boston.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
A nice feel good movie. Not sure this tangibly gives us an edge in becoming a great hockey team relative to our opponents. But I liked kelly when he was here. But he did just break his femur.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad