What is more satisfying?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
What is a good hobby to get into that you can do daily (or at least close to and at home)?

I have a friend who has gotten really into music and plays guitar every day. He owns multiple guitars of different types, he is learning to play the keyboard, and is taking free music lessons online. I'd like to have something I can focus on and commit too, but I don't know what.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Really. If their friends are super attractive does it impact them in a negative way?

Haha, no. it's like if someone I think is attractive has unattractive friends I start to think there must be something wrong with them. I try not to be superficial in my conscious life but it's like something going on at a basic level

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
What is a good hobby to get into that you can do daily (or at least close to and at home)?

I have a friend who has gotten really into music and plays guitar every day. He owns multiple guitars of different types, he is learning to play the keyboard, and is taking free music lessons online. I'd like to have something I can focus on and commit too, but I don't know what.
lol video games

Reactions: branch

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

As far as a practical skill, coding is very easy to learn from home, especially with the help of tools like Codecademy and online Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs.) Cooking is also a good hobby, albeit with the side effect that you end up with a lot of food. Music, obviously, though it can be difficult if you don't have that creative spark or an ear for it. Writing. Working out, if you want to build a home gym.

If you're looking for something more impractical or just fun, take a look around your area to see what kind of "quirky" stuff is around. I joined an axe-throwing league on a whim in March of last year and it's been one of the best hobbies I've ever thrown myself into. You could also check if there's a nearby Dungeons & Dragons group – or run one yourself with some friends – which can help you build on your improv skills, thinking on your feet, and is just generally a fun way to kill a couple hours. And if all else fails, there's always craft beer drinking.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

Probably doesn't exactly fit the category of hobby you're talking about, but I highly recommend fermenting!

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Now for my question of the day: I remember a while back there being a discussion here about gin - I'm looking for recommendations: favourite gins, interesting ones to try...

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Since you all have been asking, and just itching to know, Measurement Canada (I no longer work there) is responsible for testing and certifying all measuring devices that are involved in transactions. So gas pumps, scales at grocery stores, and so on.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Now for my question of the day: I remember a while back there being a discussion here about gin - I'm looking for recommendations: favourite gins, interesting ones to try...

I'm not a gin drinker, but my friends swear by Botanic. I don't know if it's much of a secret sauce or anything though.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I suggest trying board gaming. Very sociable activity. Join a group that meets regularly (e.g., weekly). There is a great site for everything you may want to know at boardgamegeek.com

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008

Many many many years ago I really got into diddle fiddling. It's a great way to kill 25-30 seconds every day.

#ErikCondraStamina

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I'm going to take a week off this summer and go somewhere. Well-travelled of HFSens Lounge, where would you guys suggest? I don't want to do any bullshit like rock climbing or windsurfing. I just want to chill and take it easy. Wander around etc. I like history. USA or Western Europe I guess. Thoughts?

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I'm going to take a week off this summer and go somewhere. Well-travelled of HFSens Lounge, where would you guys suggest? I don't want to do any bull**** like rock climbing or windsurfing. I just want to chill and take it easy. Wander around etc. I like history. USA or Western Europe I guess. Thoughts?

I just got back from Southern France. Flew form Montreal direct to Marseille and then stayed in a rented place about 45 mins south-east of Marseille near the town of Carpentras. If you treat your place as a home base, you can do lots of day trips in the area. If you like Roman history, Orange has the theatre (still in use), Nimes has one of the only remaining Coliseums that you can still go into. The Pont de Gard is in the area too, and you can walk across that.

Avignon is a beauty of a city for any history buff as well. And you can dance on the famous bridge...which is actually only half a bridge...

From there you're about 1 hour to the mediteranean towns, and if you're feeling ambitious for a day, about 2.5-3 hours drive to places like Nice, Cannes, St. Tropez and Monaco.

If you bring your credit card, you can catch one of the high speed trains in Avignon that goes direct to Paris, non-stop. you`ll be there in 2.5-3 hours, and you only need to get to the train station about 20 mins before the train leaves. If you do go to Paris, you need to see the Eiffel Tower. I know everyone has seen 1 million pictures of it, but they don't do it an ounce of justice. In person it's magnificent. Everyone looks at me like I'm a dolt when I say that, but everyone comes back and says they get it. I don't know why, but it's just amazing.

We also went to Northern Italy and stayed near Rapallo. Picturesque as all get-out, but not as much of a sense of history, which bummed me out a bit. My wife has been dying to go there, so we did. I'm not complaining. I loved it there, but if you're into history, I didn't get much from that region.

I would also recommend Ireland to anyone. So much fun there!

Greece is great for history, but getting around Athens was a bit of a pain. Had to go by cab and they are notorious for ripping off tourists.

If you want more info on any of these places (especially in France), I can DM to you.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Also, I'm a bit biased because I have family from there, but if a trip south is being considered, Belize is fantastic. There's been a lot of major hotel development along the coast since my last visit there, but if Mayan history tickles your fancy, there's a few really neat Mayan ruins that you can visit. You can climb to the top of most of the pyramids too (at least you could when I visited there). The country is so small that it's not a long drive to get anywhere, and it's kind of neat going from palm trees and white sand beaches to being in dense tropical rain forest 30 mins later.

If you like the scuba/snorkelling, Belize is the best place I've ever been for that. They have coral areas that are designated national parks, so they are just bonkers to swim in.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Sorry for the long messages...I just got back. The memories are still fresh in my brain.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I just got back from Southern France. Flew form Montreal direct to Marseille and then stayed in a rented place about 45 mins south-east of Marseille near the town of Carpentras. If you treat your place as a home base, you can do lots of day trips in the area. If you like Roman history, Orange has the theatre (still in use), Nimes has one of the only remaining Coliseums that you can still go into. The Pont de Gard is in the area too, and you can walk across that.

Avignon is a beauty of a city for any history buff as well. And you can dance on the famous bridge...which is actually only half a bridge...

From there you're about 1 hour to the mediteranean towns, and if you're feeling ambitious for a day, about 2.5-3 hours drive to places like Nice, Cannes, St. Tropez and Monaco.

If you bring your credit card, you can catch one of the high speed trains in Avignon that goes direct to Paris, non-stop. you`ll be there in 2.5-3 hours, and you only need to get to the train station about 20 mins before the train leaves. If you do go to Paris, you need to see the Eiffel Tower. I know everyone has seen 1 million pictures of it, but they don't do it an ounce of justice. In person it's magnificent. Everyone looks at me like I'm a dolt when I say that, but everyone comes back and says they get it. I don't know why, but it's just amazing.

We also went to Northern Italy and stayed near Rapallo. Picturesque as all get-out, but not as much of a sense of history, which bummed me out a bit. My wife has been dying to go there, so we did. I'm not complaining. I loved it there, but if you're into history, I didn't get much from that region.

I would also recommend Ireland to anyone. So much fun there!

Greece is great for history, but getting around Athens was a bit of a pain. Had to go by cab and they are notorious for ripping off tourists.

If you want more info on any of these places (especially in France), I can DM to you.

My man Zorf. How long were you there, did you pack this into a week? If so you're an absolute animal my friend. My grandparents are from Marseille, I would like to go one day but I probably am doing this solo and the south of France is pretty sexy so the missus might not be too pleased if I go without her. I forgot to mention that I would need somewhere with good Airbnb selection. Huge Airbnb guy here.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Also I forgot to add. I've never been to New York or Boston or Chicago, or pretty much any major American city. Shouldn't I try one of them before going right to the gonads and heading for Marseille?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The thing about the south of France is that it can get hot as absolute balls in the summer.

Nothing like getting back to your car after a day in Carcassonne and seeing 51 degrees on the temp gauge on your dashboard.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Also I forgot to add. I've never been to New York or Boston or Chicago, or pretty much any major American city. Shouldn't I try one of them before going right to the gonads and heading for Marseille?

Boston is definitely a cool city to visit. People are really friendly in most places you go to, for the most part, they seemed to really like Canadians. Tons of history there and tons of things to do. Watch out though, it is an expensive city.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
The thing about the south of France is that it can get hot as absolute balls in the summer.

Nothing like getting back to your car after a day in Carcassonne and seeing 51 degrees on the temp gauge on your dashboard.

That is inhospitable

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
My man Zorf. How long were you there, did you pack this into a week? If so you're an absolute animal my friend. My grandparents are from Marseille, I would like to go one day but I probably am doing this solo and the south of France is pretty sexy so the missus might not be too pleased if I go without her. I forgot to mention that I would need somewhere with good Airbnb selection. Huge Airbnb guy here.

I've been to that area of France twice, for a grand total of 24 days. I've been to most of the places I listed, and many other smaller towns. Nice, Cannes, St. Tropez are a bit further out, so I haven't been there. Drove by them though. I also learned about Nimes late in this recent trip, so I haven't been there to see the coliseum. Kind of wish I did though. Oh well, that's just a reason to go back. Yay!

You should definitely bring the missus there. I would recommend early to mid June though. That's when the lavender and sunflowers bloom and when the cherries are harvested. Sweet dang, those cherries. Unreal. Late May is before most of the produce is harvested, but the poppies are in full bloom, so it still looks good.

Bonk has a good point about the weather. Both of my trips there were around this time. Late may and early June, so the weather was pretty much perfect.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008

I really like New York. I'm taking Mrs. Zorf there in late September to see a show. Not much out there that beats a good Broadway show.

I also like cities where you can just walk around. New York and Paris have this in spades.

Plus, if you go solo, you can check out a Yankees/Mets game.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm going to take a week off this summer and go somewhere. Well-travelled of HFSens Lounge, where would you guys suggest? I don't want to do any bull**** like rock climbing or windsurfing. I just want to chill and take it easy. Wander around etc. I like history. USA or Western Europe I guess. Thoughts?

Eastern Europe. It is way more fun and interesting than Western Europe except maybe Rome which is just nuts.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

No, not really.

But I really don't think much of North America in general. Definitely not terrible, just nothing really special.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
No, not really.

But I really don't think much of North America in general. Definitely not terrible, just nothing really special.

North America does wilderness and nature tourism an infinite number of times better than almost all of Europe.

Europe has the urban travel down and North America is streets behind.

It all depends on what you're looking for, really.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad