OT: Sens Lounge XCVII: "Zorf; 21 times!" Edition

What is more satisfying?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I'll stick with Sports TV (even though I think it's like this across the board for most entertainment jobs), but I think the balance between physical requirements for male and females is ridiculous, and borderline hilarious. All female sports TV people are young and good looking. It's basically a job requirement without actually being an official requirement.

Then you have dudes like Gord Miller and Elliot Friedman who look like a horse kicked them square in the face and you realize that there's no chance in hell that a woman who is as ugly as those guys would ever get a job on TV.
yeah very good point the different standards are there for sure. but the poster i replied to sounded like he was taking a dig at guys WATCHING. im saying girls do the exact same thing.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
yeah very good point the different standards are there for sure. but the poster i replied to sounded like he was taking a dig at guys WATCHING. im saying girls do the exact same thing.
I would think that anyone, whether dude or dudette, who watches a show based on the TV personality’s looks is a little sad.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I would think that anyone, whether dude or dudette, who watches a show based on the TV personality’s looks is a little sad.
well then lots of people are sad then. i honestly dont think its neccessary in sports media. ive never watched sportsnet for a girl, im there to get my sports news. actually i dont watch sportsnet at all but you get my point

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
well then lots of people are sad then. i honestly dont think its neccessary in sports media. ive never watched sportsnet for a girl, im there to get my sports news. actually i dont watch sportsnet at all but you get my point

I don’t feel it’s necessary for anything really, as long as the person is efficient.

On the flip side, any given time I’m at home, I have the radio on (CBC radio 2) - they have the news on every hour, on the hour and most often the newscaster is this guy Tim (something... I can never make out his last name). It’s never quite the same report obviously as there will be updates. But the guy messes up at least once in every single report, each hour, whether it’s someone’s name, fumbles on words, or goes: uhh, uhmmm, uh... I find it amazing that he hasn’t been thanked for his services. It’s appalling.

The funny part is, at the end of each newscast he finishes with: “And this is the world this hour, I’m Tim...”, and always seems to say that phrase with great comfort and immense relief that he’s finally done. I always have a visual of him sweating like crazy...

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I don’t feel it’s necessary for anything really, as long as the person is efficient.

On the flip side, any given time I’m at home, I have the radio on (CBC radio 2) - they have the news on every hour, on the hour and most often the newscaster is this guy Tim (something... I can never make out his last name). It’s never quite the same report obviously as there will be updates. But the guy messes up at least once in every single report, each hour, whether it’s someone’s name, fumbles on words, or goes: uhh, uhmmm, uh... I find it amazing that he hasn’t been thanked for his services. It’s appalling.

The funny part is, at the end of each newscast he finishes with: “And this is the world this hour, I’m Tim...”, and always seems to say that phrase with great comfort and immense relief that he’s finally done. I always have a visual of him sweating like crazy...
i dont know looks count for something... and in some industries theres a lot more money for good looking people. cest la vie. been that way for ever

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
i dont know looks count for something... and in some industries theres a lot more money for good looking people. cest la vie. been that way for ever
Yes, you’re right,
I just find it unfortunate.

Perhaps that Tim guy is still around (on the radio) due to his looks... ;)

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Without getting too deep into my armchair psychology, I remember reading that a significant group of society subconsciously judges a person's trustworthiness at least partially on their attractiveness. It's the same reason why the first televised debate for the US presidency saw a split opinion – TV viewers lent Kennedy more credibility because he was more attractive than Nixon and judged him to have won the debate, while radio listeners perceived Nixon as the winner.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Wow. I just hit 10 years on hf. Daaaamn.

WHOA! I hit 10 years back in January!

I feel old. I started on HF at my first government job. Hahaha. Good ol' Measurement Canada. No one has ever heard of Measurement Canada. Even some of the people who work there haven't heard of it.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The Ontario Dental Society provides a guide to all dentists in the province that details price ranges for every service. They don't really have they authority to enforce it, but as far as I can tell, damn near all dentists stick to the guidelines. The thing is, nothing has a set price. There's a range for everything. Some dentists choose to stick to the top of the range for everything. Other's don't.

source: My father was a dentist and was on the board for the Ontario Dental Society.

fun fact: He didn't like the dentists who charged at the top of the range for services.

Most insurance policies likely only cover up to that top amount on the guidelines (I can only speak to my own provider where that's definitely the case), and by charging more, they'd lose a lot of patients who get a return from their insurer saying a portion wasn't being covered because their dentist is charging too much.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

I feel old. I started on HF at my first government job. Hahaha. Good ol' Measurement Canada. No one has ever heard of Measurement Canada. Even some of the people who work there haven't heard of it.
I hear you, to use to Google hockey rumours, and ended up making an account living away in Saskatchewan when I was 16/17. Here I am 13 years later, only started posting regularaly since finishing University 7 years ago, I think I had 800 posts from 2005-2011...

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Without getting too deep into my armchair psychology, I remember reading that a significant group of society subconsciously judges a person's trustworthiness at least partially on their attractiveness. It's the same reason why the first televised debate for the US presidency saw a split opinion – TV viewers lent Kennedy more credibility because he was more attractive than Nixon and judged him to have won the debate, while radio listeners perceived Nixon as the winner.
is it really that subconscious. i mean attractiveness brings on a whole host of societal(?) advantages.. one being people want to be arround you/associated with you much more. if you dont trust someone youre not going to be their friend or in their social circle.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
is it really that subconscious. i mean attractiveness brings on a whole host of societal(?) advantages.. one being people want to be arround you/associated with you much more. if you dont trust someone youre not going to be their friend or in their social circle.
I'd guess a lot of people out there don't consciously think "This person's good looking so they must just be better at what they do" outside of the context of modelling or stripping or something else equally looks-driven. Case in point, this whole discussion started with "why's it always gotta be about looks?"

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I'd guess a lot of people out there don't consciously think "This person's good looking so they must just be better at what they do" outside of the context of modelling or stripping or something else equally looks-driven. Case in point, this whole discussion started with "why's it always gotta be about looks?"
it is what it is.. is my answer

edit: concerning the bolded.. No but they definitely this "this person is really good looking i want to be around them and talk to them and be associated with them more, relative to someone much less good looking"

the post indicated peopel trusted a good looking candidate more than a not so good looking one. im saying.. makes sense and its not all that subconscious

Last edited:

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008

As an official lifetime member of the "Derek Zoolander Group of Really Really Good Looking People Who Look Good Group," I can confirm all of this. #bluesteel

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

I'd go one further and say that I find myself judging people's attractiveness based on how attractive their friends are too.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Wow. I just hit 10 years on hf. Daaaamn.

Was pretty sure I was right there with ya, but apparently I need to wait until the fall.

I was around for the Sportsnet Forum days too though, so have definitely been posting online about the Sens for 10+ years as well.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa

Haha! Only reason I know of Measurement Canada is because of the sticker on the gas pumps. I always ask myself every time I see that sticker if that's all they do.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
OK then, I'll vote for the party!
I'd actually argue that if you like your mpp, then vote for them. Obviously they've been doing something you like locally. They don't always follow party lines and they do still try to make some difference for their riding if they're good.

Reactions: CanadianHockey

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

Not true. You guys are part of Industry Canada and put stickers on gas pumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad