OT: Sens Lounge LXXXVIV - Roman Numerals!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Baby #1.

The great adventure.

Wife is ready for baby to come. Not sleeping well at all at this point.. understandably.

Yeah, every day past the expected due date is worse than the one before it. Baby keeps getting bigger, pains on the mom get worse, and just the anticipation can cause stress.

Hope it comes soon!

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
I like that game too. I don't have a commercial set so I just use regular cards. I also teach people that suits are irrelevant and that there is no trump (if two or more cards of the same value are out the one laid earliest is highest) because I think it makes for a more fun game.

Truly inspiring words in this US election season.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Baby #1.

The great adventure.

Wife is ready for baby to come. Not sleeping well at all at this point.. understandably.

Oh for sure! I'm always shocked at how my coworkers run around all day at 8.5 months pregnant. It doesn't look fun! Plus having to pee all the time! And being uncomfortable (babies are not small when shoved inside your abdomen) and it's hot out!

So good luck and early congrats! I'm a baby fan. Stupid internal clock has got me baby dreaming like crazy.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Canada post might use drones in the future. Sweet, now a flying robot can deliver the piece of paper letting me know I wasn't home and I can get my mail tomorrow at the Canada Post outlet that is 15 kilometres away.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
A new proposal from the European Parliament calls for working robots to be classified as "electronic persons," and for their owners to pay social security on their behalf. The draft motion, published online this month, aims to address the new challenges that Europe's robotic workforce will present as robot technology becomes more pervasive and intelligent. The proposal says growing automation will require new frameworks for taxation and legal liability, but as Reuters reports, it faces opposition from some robotics companies.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/22/11999458/eu-proposal-robots-electronic-persons-liability

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Canada post might use drones in the future. Sweet, now a flying robot can deliver the piece of paper letting me know I wasn't home and I can get my mail tomorrow at the Canada Post outlet that is 15 kilometres away.

Amazon and Walmart are testing the same thing,
all it takes is one downed drone and an injured/dead person and drones are banned, so they better get it right.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Do you like the S7?

My dad got one with the virtual reality goggles (whatever those are actually called). And my nephews were playing with it. Totally freaked out my niece though.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
It's Pat's birthday, he's a nurse now. HAWT is a prof. Omni no longer has 300 posts per OT thread. Where has the time gone?

Don't tempt me.

That's actually.. something progressive I can agree with??

:amazed:

edit: Also decided to finally turn in the old S3 for the S7.. figured having a sweet camera for all the baby pics was a.. decent rationalization for the upgrade.

I can't wait to get rid of my S4... 1 more year! :cry:

Congrats on the kido, Lewler!

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Last edited:

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Do you like the S7?

My dad got one with the virtual reality goggles (whatever those are actually called). And my nephews were playing with it. Totally freaked out my niece though.

I'm just setting it up now.

I just went to our local Telus dealer since there is no Bestbuy or anything unless I drive to Kingston/Ottawa, so I didn't get the VR goggles.

So far the smart switch program crashed on the ole Mac twice.. so we'll see how it goes.

But already.. lol.. I can see how much things have changed in.. 3-4 years of tech. Wow.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
This is going to be a big issue going forward. Millions of jobs are going to be lost to automation.

Already is an issue, Foxconn (largest consumer electronics manufacturer in the world) has reportedly removed 50% of it's workforce in the last 3 years through the use of advancements in automation

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Don't tempt me.

I can't wait to get rid of my S4... 1 more year! :cry:

Congrats on the kido, Lewler!

This is going to be a big issue going forward. Millions of jobs are going to be lost to automation.

Everyone got lives (except me :sarcasm:)

And tomorrow is my last day of highschool(exam ugh)! :scared:

We're all grown up.

For **** sake, Sask is on a different continent. You're graduating collegehigh school.

AND...

CH is doing well at army, apparently he received some awards.

latest

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Amazon and Walmart are testing the same thing,
all it takes is one downed drone and an injured/dead person and drones are banned, so they better get it right.

I really don't see how it would be feasible. Birds, windstorms, humans with nets (or guns) looking for freebies....too many ways those drones can be knocked out of the sky.

There's going to be one hell of change in the educational system...otherwise, you'll have a handful of middle class and wealthy people, and a massive amount of destitute. They will have no choice but to open the doors to free college/university to anyone who meets basic standards, and also to have a lot fo money put into retraining programs.

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
Already is an issue, Foxconn (largest consumer electronics manufacturer in the world) has reportedly removed 50% of it's workforce in the last 3 years through the use of advancements in automation

It will affect every job in the future, if you want to know if your job is safe, ask yourself if your job requires a certain level of creativity, those jobs that do not require any will be taken over by a.i.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It will affect every job in the future, if you want to know if your job is safe, ask yourself if your job requires a certain level of creativity, those jobs that do not require any will be taken over by a.i.

It's always amusing to see these self-proclaimed experts come on to business channels to talk about how "new jobs will appear elsewhere".

I always think to myself - what kind of fantasyland is this person living in?

Yes new jobs will be created but if you replace 50 jobs with 1... unemployment is going to rise.

Over the next several decades - countries and the world as a whole is going to have to come up with ideas to deal with the loss of jobs.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
It's always amusing to see these self-proclaimed experts come on to business channels to talk about how "new jobs will appear elsewhere".

I always think to myself - what kind of fantasyland is this person living in?

Yes new jobs will be created but if you replace 50 jobs with 1... unemployment is going to rise.

Over the next several decades - countries and the world as a whole is going to have to come up with ideas to deal with the loss of jobs.

Well, more machines means more technicians, mechanics, operators, inspectors, supervisors, parts stores, ect... All of which we are already lacking to begin with. This may lead to the end of general labourers and entry level office positions, but there will be may more demand for maintenance type jobs.

I think there will be 3 types of jobs that will always remain: People who make stuff, people who fix / maintain stuff, and people who shoot the **** for a living (businessmen, lawyers, politicians)

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
If traditional school isn't up your alley I think you'll start to see re-focus on the trade skills, like plumbers, electricians, etc. One side of my family is basically a plumber and heating and cooling family and you don't see many people wanting to follow in their foot steps.

You'll make good money at it even though it isn't a "glamorous" job like social media expert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad