OT: Sens Lounge LXXXVIV - Roman Numerals!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Brexit:

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-22%20at%207.35.44%20PM.png

It blows my mind that the vote is going to be as close as it is.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Well, more machines means more technicians, mechanics, operators, inspectors, supervisors, parts stores, ect... All of which we are already lacking to begin with. This may lead to the end of general labourers and entry level office positions, but there will be may more demand for maintenance type jobs.

I think there will be 3 types of jobs that will always remain: People who make stuff, people who fix / maintain stuff, and people who shoot the **** for a living (businessmen, lawyers, politicians)

Yeah there will be more demand for maintenance. But one person can provide maintenance for a large number of machines. Each machine is replacing several laborers.

I think in an ideal world - we move people to Research and Development, Healthcare, Maintenance, Technology and Arts/History/Culture.

But you have to somehow do that without putting gigantic downward pressure on wages.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Voting leave would have me lose some faith in democracy.

Talked to one Brit who said as a construction worker it would be easier to get a job if they left (although strangely he said it was easy to get work there). Also was convinced that if they left the UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand would set up a single market with freedom of movement.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Most of the younger Brits I know are voting stay. It's just silly how much of it is turned into a 'the poles and romanians are stealing our jobs!'
But really if England votes leave, they'll fracture the UK since Scotland wants to stay and N. Ireland doesn't want a hard border with the Republic of Ireland.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Voting leave would have me lose some faith in democracy.

Talked to one Brit who said as a construction worker it would be easier to get a job if they left (although strangely he said it was easy to get work there). Also was convinced that if they left the UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand would set up a single market with freedom of movement.
At the same time, one argument for wanting to leave is to claw back some democratic power for the country. (I realize I am taking your sentence and using it for a different context)

I am not pro leaving, and I am not an economist, and so I don't know what the economic consequences will be either way, but I can understand why some people might be against leaving critical decision making in the hands of un-elected people in Brussels.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Watching BBC live coverage.

Their political analysis is so much more fun to watch than our analysis here in Canada for our election coverage.

Edit: ROFL, they interview a member of the SNP (Scottish National Party). "Does the result of this vote matter change the goals for Scottish independence?" "No, Scottish independence is always on the table no matter what the results are!"

I love the SNP, they are even more delusional than Quebec separatists.

Last edited:

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Watching BBC live coverage.

Their political analysis is so much more fun to watch than our analysis here in Canada for our election coverage.

Agree.

But I prefer how we get the results as soon as the ballot box is counted instead of having to wait for the entire constituency.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Good for the economy vs unelected rulers with powers above countries

Im anti-EU but im also not a fan of a recession.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Baby boomers, man.

The "ME" generation from the cradle to the grave.

Blaming Boomers?, LOL. If there was anything the Boomers were good at, it was implementing change. Didn't always work but it cracked the establishment wide open. Today's youth seem to worship celebrities and want them in powerful positions.

I'm half kidding, but what's the attraction to have bureaucrats in Brussels dictate pretty much everything? Belgium is a really whacked society/country (personal experience), the only reason to support it is because lots of people relish having one of those jobs one day.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Wow.

The Pound has gone done 6 cents against the US Dollar since the results have started coming in.

That's a ridiculously large drop.

Blaming Boomers?, LOL. If there was anything the Boomers were good at, it was implementing change. Didn't always work but it cracked the establishment wide open. Today's youth seem to worship celebrities and want them in powerful positions.

I'm half kidding, but what's the attraction to have bureaucrats in Brussels dictate pretty much everything? Belgium is a really whacked society/country (personal experience), the only reason to support it is because lots of people relish having one of those jobs one day.

Baby boomers are responsible for the ridiculously large national debts (that are unrepayable) of almost every single developed nation state in the world. Me first, let other people pay for my luxuries is biggest legacy that generation will leave in history.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary

Brussels doesn't dictate everything. Many EU laws are around things like product regulations. Major laws are still determined by national governments.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Baby boomers are responsible for the ridiculously large national debts (that are unrepayable) of almost every single developed nation state in the world. Me first, let other people pay for my luxuries is biggest legacy that generation will leave in history.

OOh, are you going to post another one of those stupid memes where everything is blamed on the previous generation? You know, like every previous generation ever?

You slack-***** are about to inherit the biggest chunk of financial wealth in history, your clout will come to you despite the biggest contribution being really good at video games and claiming to be depressed, or the wrong gender, or complaining that life is really hard.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
OOh, are you going to post another one of those stupid memes where everything is blamed on the previous generation? You know, like every previous generation ever?

You slack-***** are about to inherit the biggest chunk of financial wealth in history, your clout will come to you despite the biggest contribution being really good at video games and claiming to be depressed, or the wrong gender, or complaining that life is really hard.

Actually it's the boomers who are inheriting the largest amount of wealth ever. And posts you're whining about come about because boomers working for their dying newspapers write articles like the last half of your last sentence.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

:popcorn:

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Brussels doesn't dictate everything. Many EU laws are around things like product regulations. Major laws are still determined by national governments.

I agree, it very much is too restrictive though. Believe it or not, I'd love to see some kind of unified world government eventually. We'll get there for the good of everyone but we need to figure out how to gut the bureaucracy first.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
If traditional school isn't up your alley I think you'll start to see re-focus on the trade skills, like plumbers, electricians, etc. One side of my family is basically a plumber and heating and cooling family and you don't see many people wanting to follow in their foot steps.

You'll make good money at it even though it isn't a "glamorous" job like social media expert.

The trades are great to go into. Very good money, not insane amount of schooling and people will always need it.

Sometimes the not so glamorous jobs are really some of the most gratifying.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary

I'm not touching this post without getting banned.

--

About Brexit though, it's just another part of the world revolting against "the establishment". The Trump (and to a lesser extent the Bernie Sanders) campaign is probably the most obvious one, but it's happening all over the world. It started with the extreme right wing anti-immigration parties in Europe that people dismissed as nut jobs, but people around the world seem to be getting more and more angry at the powers in charge.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Actually it's the boomers who are inheriting the largest amount of wealth ever. And posts you're whining about come about because boomers working for their dying newspapers write articles like the last half of your last sentence.

Lol.

I ***** at my dad all the time his generation sucks ass aka the boomer generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad