GDT: SENS in Vancouver, Tuesday night 10:00 pm on TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Was impressed with most of the defenseman last night.

Thought Jaros had a lot of jump and was pretty good in his limited ice time. Claesson was obviously fantastic.
Really good to see Brass line continue to light it up. Their stat lines easily reflect their play so far. Too bad Hoffman hasn't had a point yet, in my opinion he has been playing pretty well overall.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Just because the team disagrees doesn't mean they are correct.
But if a team who has been hyping Chabot and a team who would like to sell more tickets puts a guy like CHabot in the AHL, you know he needs some tuning. Otherwise they'd just easily appease the casual fans and put him in the lineup right away.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Bobby looking real good through three games, Stone always getting better isn't a surprise anymore, appears he is going off ice this year and working his leadership.

I thought Ceci had a real strong steady game, that's the most life I have seen from Burrows since his first game here, we need more of that.

Loved the shootout snipe, but Turris looks off, could be a slow start, contract on the mind, injured or just mailing it in but it is concerning.

I need to see more of Jaros at the NHL level but all signs point to a guy destined to be a regular in the show!

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Might be in the minority but am I the only one who doesn't like what Wideman brings, at all? The guy cheats and in a 3rd pairing role I really like what I see from Jaros, might sound like Aragorn here but Jaros has a lot more size and I really think his puck skills are underated... Boro got schooled on the Sedin goal.

Ryan's overpaid a little but man the guy can play. Happy I stuck by his side last year when 80% people around here were trashing him non stop, I remember how many plays he created that people wouldn't finish, 25pts, like a guy skilled like him would only put up 25pts, he's easily a 50+pts player IMO. High five to myself. Also, Pageau is a center, stop trying to put him on the wing for Thompson, he's at his best when he can skate, you neglect his speed by stucking him along the boards. Not a coach but man it's clear to me. Stone Brassard Ryan is a great line but you can really see we're missing a threat with Turris, should be Hoffman but for some reason they prefer him with Pageau and Pyatt...

Hoffman has actually played more 5v5 with Turris than Pageau so far this year. They seem to be splitting his time between the two fairly evenly

Aurilius

Nov 12, 2015
Hostage in Canada's Basement
Hoffman lately, guys gotta be gettin frustrated. I think he needs to change his sticks curl just a touch, if he's shooting at posts, he's too accurate.

12_C56_BD3-_DB66-4_F6_B-90_A0-95_C275_C29451.gif

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
This is an endless debate. We have multiple D-men that have bad habits that need cleaning up. IMO, Chabot should be here.

Defenseman like Boro and Wideman make mistakes for sure. The difference is that a huge part of our future doesn't depend on Boro and Wideman cleaning up their games. It does with Chabot. Moving forward it's important that Chabot develops a more rounded game where his decision making reflects his talents. In essence sending him down allows the team to take its lumps with Boro and Wideman in the short term so that Chabot can become the best player he can in the long term.

At any rate I don't think Chabot is going to be buried in the minors for very long. He seems to be a quick learner. It showed last night.

Reactions: aragorn

DDT

Aug 18, 2008
Boucher's System is built around Karlsson ........... so now he should change the System (that took them to within one goal of the Finals) to accommodate Chabot?

So you're suggesting we build around Chabot, and funnel the Opposition to the Right Side, and have Karlsson, Ceci and Wideman deliver the big hits in the Neutral zone, and have Boro, Phaneauf and Chabot retrieve the puck and start the breakout?

A Coach cannot "maximize the value and usefulness of every player they have" .......... it's impossible, and the System Boucher brought in has proven that it works, it's built around Karlsson.

Are you Suggesting that Pittsburgh stop using their system, built around Crosby, to accommodate some Rookie they brought in this season?
Where does this misconception that the LD spot in Boucher's system is all about big hits come from? Did we see all that many big hits from Methot and Phaneuf at the blue line or in the neutral zone last year?

The system is about the LD preventing the opposing player from gaining the blue line with speed, and creating turnovers. One would have to be pretty dense not to realize there are many different ways to accomplish this.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I see the team playing a lot more aggressively this year. It looks like they've tweaked the system a little bit to put more pressure on players and on the puck.

Reactions: Xspyrit

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Really like that the coach relented,and allowed our two young defenders to play on their natural side.I know, I know. It shouldnt matter and iam the most vocal about this.

But not having to watch our kids try and make plays off the boards on their backhand,in the defensive zone.Has made a difference

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Bobby looking real good through three games, Stone always getting better isn't a surprise anymore, appears he is going off ice this year and working his leadership.

I thought Ceci had a real strong steady game, that's the most life I have seen from Burrows since his first game here, we need more of that.

Loved the shootout snipe, but Turris looks off, could be a slow start, contract on the mind, injured or just mailing it in but it is concerning.

I need to see more of Jaros at the NHL level but all signs point to a guy destined to be a regular in the show!

Brassard has the luxury of playing with Ryan & Stone so far this season, two good play makers & two good scoring forwards while Turris being the better overall centre IMO is playing with Smith & Dzingle two less offensive forwards. I imagine GB will play Turris with Hoffman, Stone & Ryan from time to time to improve his pt totals unless of course this is done on purpose to reduce his contract demands. Conspiracy Theory? They could use another top 6 scoring forward to add to Turris & Hoffman like James Neal who would really help this team in so many areas IMO.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Why did Claesson get the most time on ice?
I think there could be several reasons for that. First, Wideman seemed to get benched last night & therefore his minutes needed to be used up, they are also still trying to divide Karlsson's 25 to 30 minutes a game. IMO Boro is a defensive defenceman who plays a very physical game which takes a toll throughout a game & as a 3rd pairing defenceman shouldn't be playing more than 15 to 18 minutes per game. Phaneuf is an older & slow skater & at his age shouldn't be worn out this early in the season & should probably be kept around 20 - 24 mins or so. I don't imagine this coach trusts the two rookie defencemen to increase their ice time dramatically although they got more ice time last night than most expected.

This leaves Ceci & Claesson & while I would have given more ice time to Ceci the coach decided to give it to Claesson which is fine. He is a decent skater & puck handler but needs to quicken his decision making in the defensive zone. I don't think ice time relates to being a better defencemen necessarily since he had more ice time than Phaneuf & Ceci but to role & strengths he provides at a given time, who is going better in the game & what is required at the time based on score & time left. Ceci had more ice time than Karlsson last yr in a few games. Next game things could very easily change in favour of someone else getting more ice time but I doubt it will ever be Boro based on the kind of game he plays, the toll it takes on him & the role he plays for this team.

Sidebar: Going into this season both Boro & Wideman were UFAs. Given that Boro received an extension indicates to me that Boro is more valued to this organization & has more attributes this management team value than Wideman. It also indicated to me that Wideman will probably not be re-signed & most likely traded even though a lot of people on here believe Wideman to be the better hockey player, the Sens management team obviously prefer Boro's atrributes & what he brings to this team.

With the number of good young defencemen coming it also makes me wonder who the Sens will keep or not keep in the coming months or seasons. Most likely Oduya is only here for this season opening up a roster spot & could be replaced as well by one of the young guns. I also wonder how long Phaneuf & Claesson & even Boro once his contract is ending have on this team with Englund, Harpur, Chabot, Jaros & maybe even Lajoie at some future point. Of course, anyone can be traded & anything can happen at any time. Should be interesting to watch what happens on defence with this team.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Chabot on the Right side vs The System... I really don't know what to think about that.. I understand the system... I just don't get why Chabot is being pushed to the right side unless there is a plan to move Ceci which I doubt... A year or two down the road, do they foresee Chabot on the bottom pair right side behind EK and Ceci? They have Jaros coming on the right side and Chabot coming on the left...To me Chabot can replace anyone on the left side within 2 years. Chabot is learning the D game at the Pro level.. I don't agree that they should force learning to play RD at the same time. IMO it would be much easier for an experienced D to move to the right side than a rookie. Claesson has struggled on the right side... Can Oduya play there? We know Phaneuf can at least to some respectable degree. The whole step up on the left and retrieve from the right rational is overblown and lathered with a good helping of BS imo. Chabot would have to learn the reads and timing to step up , but he could do that easier imo than learning and battling in his own zone on the right side, plus it takes away some prowess at the opposition blueline. How often do we get hemmed in vs .. the left d stands up and in that sequence the right d retrieves the puck with speed and finesse and makes a clean exit?

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I agree, wanted to mention this also. It seems that two players will put pressure on the puck carrier, whichever two are closet, centre, D or winger. The extra guy will swing back or find an open spot depending on what happens. It's just a small change but it seems to be generating more chances so far.

Some folks seem to be describing the left D stepping up as if it's the only play in the toolbox, far from it, it's maybe only used a couple of times per game.

I see the team playing a lot more aggressively this year. It looks like they've tweaked the system a little bit to put more pressure on players and on the puck.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Chabot on the Right side vs The System... I really don't know what to think about that.. I understand the system... I just don't get why Chabot is being pushed to the right side unless there is a plan to move Ceci which I doubt... A year or two down the road, do they foresee Chabot on the bottom pair right side behind EK and Ceci? They have Jaros coming on the right side and Chabot coming on the left...To me Chabot can replace anyone on the left side within 2 years. Chabot is learning the D game at the Pro level.. I don't agree that they should force learning to play RD at the same time. IMO it would be much easier for an experienced D to move to the right side than a rookie. Claesson has struggled on the right side... Can Oduya play there? We know Phaneuf can at least to some respectable degree. The whole step up on the left and retrieve from the right rational is overblown and lathered with a good helping of BS imo. Chabot would have to learn the reads and timing to step up , but he could do that easier imo than learning and battling in his own zone on the right side, plus it takes away some prowess at the opposition blueline. How often do we get hemmed in vs .. the left d stands up and in that sequence the right d retrieves the puck with speed and finesse and makes a clean exit?

I too am wondering about Chabot's longer term usage. I think we will see Chabot on the left side in the not too distant future, maybe even with Karlsson when he returns. This could be all about rounding out Chabot's game in the early going, let him earn his stripes. He will get there soon enough, from what we hear it sounds like he's a sponge and wants to learn and develop.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Did Jaros get a penalty on that hit? So ridiculous and a reason why I don't cheer for Canada at all. Perfect legal hit then get cross-checked in the back and he is the one getting the penalty?

Agreed that this team needs another top 6 forward.

They need a prime MacArthur but like I said this boat has sailed and now we have been waiting for too long that he comes back on top of his game, which won't happen anymore.

That being said, who should they target? If they get a long-term guy, then how will Brown, White, Chlapik and Formenton (maybe Perron) will get an opportunity?

IMO it's go big or don't acquire anyone for now. My opinion is to upgrade on Turris. Just replace Turris by Tavares or someone like Getzlaf and this team becomes really dangerous.

We have picks and a lot of good prospects. Unfortunately, I don't have much faith in Dorion to do what's right

ok ok im not saying that Methot isnt a good d-man. but he was getting Team Canada summer camp invitations hype and has like a 5 million contract.

Methot in his prime for 4.9 for 4 years is perfectly fine.

The expansion draft really screwed the Sens (only behind Anaheim and Nashville maybe) but we're lucky of the timing since we have several good D prospects coming up

Boucher was asked about using Hoffman and said he was not good at shootouts

This is weird as Hoffman has the speed, shot and skill to be good at it.

And cut the crap about the "system" taking this team to within one goal of the finals. Boston having an AHL blueline, Lundqvist playing like an ECHL scrub, and Pittsburgh dealing with injuries are what brought us that far way more than any system could.

So the same could be said about Pittsburgh? They only bet us because Karlsson was one foot, Brassard was injured, etc, etc.

I dunno if any team dealt with more adversity than the Sens dealt with last year.

Well we do have a top 3 player on our team that makes us look better than we actually are...

Yet we sit here with the lowest HDCA/60 of all the NHL after 3/4 games, without Karlsson.

Sidenote: X, nice to see you back in action, i always enjoy your posts!

Is that me X? lol thanks if

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad