GDT: SENS in Vancouver, Tuesday night 10:00 pm on TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Chabot deserves to be here. He does not need AHL time as he is already better than half of our defense. The only reason he is playing "scared" and passing up prime shooting chances is because he would probably get stapled to the bench if he looked like he was playing selfishly.

What he can potentially bring to our terrible power play is good enough reason to keep him around. I would much rather he play on the PP than Phaneuf or Ceci.

Being one of the top 6 D for this team, and needing time in the AHL are not mutually exclusive. Chabot offensively is probably our second or 3rd best dman, but there are bad habits in his game that need cleaning up. The AHL is ideally where he can do that quickest, because it doesn't cost the team, and he'll get more icetime to work on it.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Being one of the top 6 D for this team, and needing time in the AHL are not mutually exclusive. Chabot offensively is probably our second or 3rd best dman, but there are bad habits in his game that need cleaning up. The AHL is ideally where he can do that quickest, because it doesn't cost the team, and he'll get more icetime to work on it.

This is an endless debate. We have multiple D-men that have bad habits that need cleaning up. IMO, Chabot should be here.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
That was a pretty good game by most of our players last night. We probably deserved a regulation win, but against a western team, any win is great.

Definitely been impressed by Ryan this year and as a continuation from the playoffs, you can definitely tell he's 100% in all aspects of life, hockey and mental makeup. He is flying out there and really looking the player we all want him to be.

I thought our defence held up pretty good considering all the changes. Chabot is looking real good, still needs a bit of work in our end, but you can tell that's just a matter of time before he puts it all together, he's gonna be lights out soon. Didn't see much of Jaros but I liked what I saw when I did.

The team looks to be holding up quite good with EK out. Once he comes back, we should be in a good spot. The division is up for grabs this year, go get it Sens!

Reactions: IWantMyParade

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
This is an endless debate. We have multiple D-men that have bad habits that need cleaning up. IMO, Chabot should be here.

The bad habits that Chabot has are the kind that all young defencemen have - learning how to play against bigger, stronger and more experienced professional hockey players, learning that a lot of what used to work in Junior won't work in the pros, etc... The AHL is the best place for someone his age to work through those issues, in an atmosphere where mistakes aren't punished as hard which allows young players to keep their confidence while figuring this stuff out.

The defencemen we have on the roster who have bad habits, a stint in the AHL won't solve that.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Perhaps those guys could use time in the AHL too. In Chabot's case, the argument is his issues are CHL habits that should be able to be cleaned up relatively quickly if given the icetime at the pro level.

Either way, the overall point is that he still has aspects to his game that are 'junior plays'. He can work them out here, or in the AHL, but they need to be addressed. Ideally, those are the types of things you address in the minors, but you can certainly make the argument that if he helps the team win despite those bad habits, he might as well work his way through them here.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ryan's assist was underrated.

Great to see him carry on from where he left off in the playoffs last year.

The guy is an emotional person and the criticism clearly got to him. He finally spent the summer with at least one eye on the upcoming season and it shows.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Ryan has been fantastic.

Burrows was great last night for the first 2 periods before I fell asleep anyway lol

Have to be happy with the first 3 games. As long as we can keep picking away those points and cruising around .500 we can let EK rest up. The longer he is out the better, because that means the rest of the group is pulling their weight. Had we lost in regulation last night I'm certain Karlsson would be back Saturday at the latest.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Have to be happy with the first 3 games. As long as we can keep picking away those points and cruising around .500 we can let EK rest up. The longer he is out the better, because that means the rest of the group is pulling their weight. Had we lost in regulation last night I'm certain Karlsson would be back Saturday that the latest.

We're going to lose the game where Karlsson comes back because everyone will just breathe a sigh of relief. ;)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
So you want the forwards to always be aware of which Dmen are behind them and funnel the play accordingly? Sorry, that's just asking for problems.

I have no problems with Chabot playing the left side; he can step up and break up plays without throwing thunderous hits. The idea is just to disrupt the flow of the oppositions rush, that's why even missed hits can have a positive effect. But I'm not sold on changing the system to conform to one player. Let him play out of his comfort zone, whether it's by playing him on the right side, or by having him be the guy stepping up to disrupt plays in the NZ, it will make him a better player in the long run.
Like others I have also wondered why GB's system couldn't be adapted to either side of the ice allowing players to play their strong side. Having said that, it seems that their are more NHL players who are left handed than right handed for some reason & because of that teams navigate their play up the left side, their stronger side more often than the right side. If that is correct, it seems like a smart strategy to clog up the left side of the ice forcing some puck carriers to navigate on their weaker side & with the puck more often on their back hand. This should result in less defensive zone time; fewer chances & goals against; potentially more turnovers & more offensive chances & goals for.

This system seems to have been taken from basketball, where a team after scoring a basket would go into a 1-3-1 prevent defence or press situation when behind to create turnovers. The first point defender would force the ball carrier to his weak side meaning if the ball carrier was right handed he would force him to go left & dribble with his weaker hand. The middle defender would also not allow the ball carrier up the middle & he would be forced to his weak side & as soon as he got close enough the wing defender would step up creating a pinch on that side hoping to turn the ball over. It's basically the same strategy only that GB only plays it on one side & probably because he has some statistic that most teams navigate up the ice 60 or 70 % (that's a guess) of the time on the left side.

That would make sense, however, the weakness is if the puck carrier gets the puck past or behind that wall of three people than they would end up with an odd man rush & we have seen that happen often enough. I imagine he is taking a risk that this strategy breaks up more plays, turns the puck over more often & creates more offensive chances & although it allows the occasional odd man rush they don't score as often. When the play is on one side than the opposite side winger is playing much further back to try & prevent these breakaways against also reducing these chances against.

I believe this system can be adapted for either side but GB may be playing the odds that teams navigate the ice up the left side more often than the right side would be my guess although I have no stats to back this up. If this strategy is used against them Ottawa has their puck carriers on the right side & the system would have to be used on the other side against Ottawa while using on the other side against other teams. The key is when to clog up that left side puck carrier & a experienced defencemen I would expect probably knows when to do that better. I have also always wondered why right shot defencemen & even right wingers seem to be rarer in the NHL when in society they are more prevalent. And if there are more left shot hockey players & they navigate the left side more than clogging up the left side makes sense. Just a theory.

Last edited:
Reactions: IWantMyParade

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

CorrectOpinion

Mar 8, 2016
Speaking of Ryan it was good to see him get a chance on 3v3 where I think he handled himself well and even stood out. Hopefully this the beginning of a trend.

CorrectOpinion

Mar 8, 2016
Also Chabot got more time than Wideman which is cool. I'd really like to see Chabot play with us this season.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
As I've made my thoughts clear before, we are a better team when we dress our best players.

Catering to "the system" by dressing worse players due to the type of player (Left side D = bangers) is the dumbest thing I've seen, and its coming from a very smart mind in Boucher.

Ride your thouroughbreads, don't rely on your mutts.
But this system is what has made GB successful as a coach & in his first yr returning to the NHL. I wrote that IF there are more NHL players who are left shots & because of that they navigate the ice up the left side more often, than it makes sense to clog up the left side, their strong side. This forces them to carry the puck on their weaker side with the puck mostly on their back hand. This system reduces the defensive zone time therefore reduces chances against & goals against & it has done exactly that given the goals against before GB got here. I would guess that GB has some statistic that teams carry the puck most often up the left side & came up with this basketball strategy of a full court press as a way to reduce goals against in a league that mostly carries the puck up the left side is my guess. I have no stats to back that up but it would make sense to break up plays at the other end of the ice from your own as often as possible which should result in more turnovers & more chances & goals for. I would guess that as a good coach he has adapted his system to this team & who he considers most important for this system to work is playing in the position or role he needs for this system to work & could explain why he likes certain players & vets so much. Chabot is a smart player who should adapt fast enough to the system.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Chabot deserves to be here. He does not need AHL time as he is already better than half of our defense. The only reason he is playing "scared" and passing up prime shooting chances is because he would probably get stapled to the bench if he looked like he was playing selfishly.

What he can potentially bring to our terrible power play is good enough reason to keep him around. I would much rather he play on the PP than Phaneuf or Ceci.

The team disagrees with you as they started him in the AHL. He does need work on his defensive game.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Might be in the minority but am I the only one who doesn't like what Wideman brings, at all? The guy cheats and in a 3rd pairing role I really like what I see from Jaros, might sound like Aragorn here but Jaros has a lot more size and I really think his puck skills are underated... Boro got schooled on the Sedin goal.

Ryan's overpaid a little but man the guy can play. Happy I stuck by his side last year when 80% people around here were trashing him non stop, I remember how many plays he created that people wouldn't finish, 25pts, like a guy skilled like him would only put up 25pts, he's easily a 50+pts player IMO. High five to myself. Also, Pageau is a center, stop trying to put him on the wing for Thompson, he's at his best when he can skate, you neglect his speed by stucking him along the boards. Not a coach but man it's clear to me. Stone Brassard Ryan is a great line but you can really see we're missing a threat with Turris, should be Hoffman but for some reason they prefer him with Pageau and Pyatt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad