GDT: SENS in Vancouver, Tuesday night 10:00 pm on TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Right, but they keep going up along his side of the ice right? If he was such a deterring factor the opposition would channel their breakouts to the opposite side

But Boucher's "System" funnels them to the left side ............. try as they like, but the majority of rushes end up on the (attacking) left.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Exactly!!! This was so obvious last year, and when Boro was knocked out of the playoffs after a couple a games, this component of the "System" took a huge hit, and may have played a bigger factor than the average fan would care to admit.
So take our brightest prospect and put him somewhere else might not belong just so boro can try to hit people.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I believe (could be wrong) that it's less about the "stepping up part" and more the puck retrieval part that is important when looking at the LD vs RD in GB's system. As it pertains to TC anyway. We want EK and TC to have the puck, the RD in this system gets the puck. It's worth trying because if it works we'd potentially have one of our two studs on the ice basically all game. Ceci could be moved for an asset or we ride all three as a position of strength for a year or two while TC eats "baby food" and improves the PP a bit.

Boucher dressed 7 d men vs Vancouver ......... so yes, a lot of D men ended up playing a few shifts on their opposite side of the ice ................ until Wideman was benched, and Chabot played RD for the rest of the game.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Furthermore I think it would be beneficial for Chabot to be the guy that steps up as it forces him to be aggressive against nhlers.

Not in the sense of hitting but in the sense that he will have to make aggressive plays on the puck knowing that he is covered.

It should do wonders for his timing and confidence.

So using that logic, Boucher should move Karlsson to LD, let him "step up" and let Odyua retrieve the puck, and start the transition to offense ............right???

C'mon, let's think about it. Chabot's primary skill set is puck retrieval, breakouts and making "the first pass" ........... just like Karlsson ............ that is why he's going to end up playing RD in Boucher's System, once he make the team for good.

Playing a few shifts vs the Canucks on LD is not a signal that "Boucher is coming to his senses" or that he's completely overhauling the System that almost took the Sens to the Stanley Cup Finals last spring.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I believe (could be wrong) that it's less about the "stepping up part" and more the puck retrieval part that is important when looking at the LD vs RD in GB's system. As it pertains to TC anyway. We want EK and TC to have the puck, the RD in this system gets the puck. It's worth trying because if it works we'd potentially have one of our two studs on the ice basically all game. Ceci could be moved for an asset or we ride all three as a position of strength for a year or two while TC eats "baby food" and improves the PP a bit.

That is not walse, but both role are very important. Chabot is a very good puck mover nobody will say otherwise. But ''the system'' argument is overblown in a sense that ''the system'' isn't perfect every back check. It is impossible because hockey is a quick game and you transition from offence to defence in a matter of seconds and you don't have the time to get to the same place every play. It is not football or baseball where every play is separate 1 by 1. Or basket that when the pointguard get the ball he wait for his player to get to place because the opponent cannot stole the puck easily without taking a fault.

Every offensive play you make, you are at a certain place on the ice and you have to know how to maximise your time to get on D at the nearest position that is ask, but then there is also 4 other guys who have to think the same way depending of were others are. It is a very complicated sports when you think about it.

And depending on the offensive time you just had, the puck will go to a certain place and an opponent will get the puck and depending of where his teammate are he will move the puck a certain way to the right side, left side or center.

The point i'm trying to make, and it is going way too long i Know :laugh:, is that saying : Oh the LD are asked to broke the play in the neutral zone so they dump the puck and the RD get it back, that's the system GB want them to play is almost kinda bullcrap when it come to deciding where player should be. In an ideal game, all opponent's rush would came from that left side but in reality, the puck enter from left, to center, to right almost equally.

So the LD and RD have to be good at puck retrieval, protecting puck, braking out the puck out of the zone, stepping up when needed. The RD are trying to lock the opponent just as much as the LD.

Last year:
LD-RD
Methot-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci
Boro-Wideman

LD all have attribute about hitting hard. RD all have the attribute of moving the puck well ( maybe not Ceci, but we thought so at the beginning of the year, granted he can skate with it, at least )

GB's system was done for the player he had on D, and if his best puck mover would be LD, that system would be reverse.

All in all, Chabot will play LD at some point, and i understand why he might try him at RD, but it isn't optimal right now.

Sorry for the long essay, but it had the be said, at least that's my opinion.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Yes, opposing players know the guys to avoid, when they're on the ice. Would you come down Boro's side of the ice, without thinking of the numerous hits he's handed out in the past, or treat him like any other D man?
I'd treat him like a player who goes out of his way to hit you while compromising his position. Dump it to his side of the ice and you're almost certain to get a cycle going.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think people put too much emphasis on our left side hitting people. It's meant to dislodge the puck. Chabots speed to get to the position. Probably would have those forwards in his side in more of a panic and more prone to make a mistake.

DDT

Aug 18, 2008
Yes, we did, and you forgot about the NHL's Hits Leader last year, Mark Borowieki ....... someone would have to be blind not to have seen those hits, as one method of the LD preventing the opposing player from gaining the blue line with speed, and creating turnovers.

Yes, we saw it a lot from Boro, but not nearly as much from Phaneuf, and even less from Methot, despite more minutes played.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'd treat him like a player who goes out of his way to hit you while compromising his position. Dump it to his side of the ice and you're almost certain to get a cycle going.

Except the speedy RD in the 1-3-1 retrieves the puck, no? I mean, if it were as easy as you've drawn it up to be, wouldn't opposition coaches be doing this already?

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I think people need to stop looking at it as if Boro is playing LD cause he is better than Chabot. Boucher wants Chabot on RD so that Chabot can play to his strengths within the system.

If anything Boucher is making it easier for Chabot to succeed

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think people need to stop looking at it as if Boro is playing LD cause he is better than Chabot. Boucher wants Chabot on RD so that Chabot can play to his strengths within the system.

If anything Boucher is making it easier for Chabot to succeed

I think that's how Boucher see's it, but I'm not sure what would be harder for Chabot; playing his offside in a puck retrieval role, or playing his natural side in the stand up at the blueline role.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
Exactly!!! This was so obvious last year, and when Boro was knocked out of the playoffs after a couple a games, this component of the "System" took a huge hit, and may have played a bigger factor than the average fan would care to admit.
I mean Boro was hurt in game 2. We managed to play 17 more games just fine without him

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
So take our brightest prospect and put him somewhere else might not belong just so boro can try to hit people.
]

So every season, change the "System" to accommodate the newest prospect that make the team?

Or let the Coach place the players, where he wants, to optimize the system, for the teams' success?

Boro is NOT a puck retrieval, breakout starting D man......... therefore he plays LD in the "System" .......... Chabot IS a puck retrieval, breakout starting D man, therefore in Boucher's "System he'll play RD.......... that is the best role for Chabot, once he make the team........... using his best hockey abilities where it helps the team succeed.

Chabot's strength is with the puck, not without the puck.......

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I mean Boro was hurt in game 2. We managed to play 17 more games just fine without him

So NOT having the NHL hits leader in the lineup for the last 17 games was a "plus" or a "minus"?

Would one solid hit, per game, by Boro, on a Penguin forward would have NOT been an advantage?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think that's how Boucher see's it, but I'm not sure what would be harder for Chabot; playing his offside in a puck retrieval role, or playing his natural side in the stand up at the blueline role.

The position where he doesn't have to be an important line of defense, considering he has very little pro experience, is certainly the best one.

Play to your strengths, build your confidence.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
So NOT having the NHL hits leader in the lineup for the last 17 games was a "plus" or a "minus"?

Would one solid hit, per game, by Boro, on a Penguin forward would have NOT been an advantage?
Probably, but most people jump to the conclusion that we made it that far because Boro wasn't playing, which of course is ridiculous.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

It's impossible to know whether that one solid hit would be counter-balanced with a missed hit and an odd-man rush or a poor defensive play in his own zone.

There's a reason he's on the bottom-pairing despite leading the NHL in hits.

I like the guy but I don't think he should be playing 82 games a season on a contending team.

At the same time, I don't think it's fair to hurl all of Ottawa's defensive issues at this feet. He only plays so much.

Reactions: Boud

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Probably, but most people jump to the conclusion that we made it that far because Boro wasn't playing, which of course is ridiculous.
The only series I thought where he could've contributed in a positive manner is against the Penguins. Their lineup was so depleted with injuries that a healthy Boro could've helped but the Sens did manage 1 goal away from the SCF without him

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The only series I thought where he could've contributed in a positive manner is against the Penguins. Their lineup was so depleted with injuries that a healthy Boro could've helped but the Sens did manage 1 goal away from the SCF without him
Presumably he could have handled Neil's role in going after Glass. That would have helped.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Presumably he could have handled Neil's role in going after Glass. That would have helped.
I don't know. Boucher would have probably used him as a regular the entire series and the way the Rangers were able to penetrate our blue line would've caused him issues. Pittsburgh was decimated with injuries.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't know. Boucher would have probably used him as a regular the entire series and the way the Rangers were able to penetrate our blue line would've caused him issues. Pittsburgh was decimated with injuries.
Boston was also decimated with injuries (some of which he caused). Could he not have helped wear down that team as well?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It seemed like Harpur was doing fine as a fill in but he kind of petered out near the end, might have been a nice change to have gotten Boro back and making a change in the Pitt series.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Harpur was exposed by the Rangers and the Pens' speed.

To be fair, asking him to keep up with those teams considering where he was at in his development wasn't fair.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Boston was also decimated with injuries (some of which he caused). Could he not have helped wear down that team as well?
Well Boston and Pittsburgh are 2 different animals. I wasn't worried one bit in the Boston series. We've had troubles for the past few playoffs against Pitts

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well Boston and Pittsburgh are 2 different animals. I wasn't worried one bit in the Boston series. We've had troubles for the past few playoffs against Pitts
But the question isn't whether or not you are worried, it's about whether or not he'd have helped. Does wearing down an already depleted Boston team not help?
I guess you could argue that his lack of offense, or defensive play would hurt us more than wearing down the opposition would help, but the Pens are a better offensive team, and probably a better defensive one at that point too, so why would it help there and not in Boston.

In the end, it's all academic, as you can't say one way or the other for sure. Harpur and Claesson both did fine jobs stepping in, so any loss was certainly mitigated.

For all the criticisms Boro gets though, I find his perceived poor defensive play vastly overstated. Sure, he makes mistakes, but his second effort is second to none; the guy has save many more goals against than given credit for in his limited icetime. The numbers also suggest that despite all the complaints about his play, we don't actually allow many more quality scoring chances when he's on the ice, in fact, it's typically the opposite.

He's far from a perfect player, but gets far too much flak imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad