Pre-Game Talk: SENS in the (US) Capital, Wed. 7:00 pm on SportsNet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Ryan and Duchene together have a combined 16 games with ZERO goals and 6 assists.

If you want to a win, look no further then this line. It has to produce

Combining the games Ryan didn't play with Duchene with the ones he did seems like a very questionable analysis, imo.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Is he though? Seems like Pyatt/Pageau were the duo until Mr Boucher decided that Pyatt deserved to be a top 6 forward and Hoff did not.

Pyatt was moved because he's not part of the duo.

Boucher clearly likes to spread the offence around, rightly or wrongly.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Neither have scored a goal for the Ottawa Senators in the 17/18 season. That’s the bottom line.

Combined in 3 games together they are a -6 with zero points.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
My frustration with Boucher is growing. I still think he is a good coach and has been good for the Sens, but he really needs to show the ability to adapt.

1) Give Hoffman top 6 linemates and minutes.

2) Stop being so forgiving of vets mistakes and give the rookies a chance to play and learn from their mistakes.

3) Change D zone coverage. We are collapsing far too low and allowing too much time and space for point shots.

4) Adapt system to personnel to play to their strengths. Having Chabot play his off side is indefensible.

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
My frustration with Boucher is growing. I still think he is a good coach and has been good for the Sens, but he really needs to show the ability to adapt.

1) Give Hoffman top 6 linemates and minutes.

2) Stop being so forgiving of vets mistakes and give the rookies a chance to play and learn from their mistakes.

3) Change D zone coverage. We are collapsing far too low and allowing too much time and space for point shots.

4) Adapt system to personnel to play to their strengths. Having Chabot play his off side is indefensible.

1. He's getting 19 mins a night, that's pretty clearly top 6 mins. When he does start the game playing with Pageau on the third line, he typically gets double shifted here and there with the top 6 as well.

2. I don't disagree so much with this one, I'd like to see Chabot and to a lesser extent, Harpur get more icetime. Not worried about how Brown/Forementon were handled, as they are at a different stage in their careers.

3. We've had some bad luck with deflection goals lately, but I don't really think the shots from the point have been causing all that much in terms of issues. Time will tell on that one.

4. Playing Chabot on the right side is literally being done to play him to his strengths. I'd have no issues with playing him on the left side and the role it entails, but I really don't think it's wise to adjust your system for a single player (rookie at that). Also worth pointing out, at the end of the day, we only have 2 RD up with the big club right now. Somebody has to play their off-side. Unless Boucher splits Ceci and Phaneuf in order to move Phaneuf to the right (my preference tbh), Chabot seems like the best option imo to fill Wideman's role.

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
Heard Boucher is going with 11/7 format again tonight.
Starting to understand why he was let go in Tampa.
He’s an overly intellectual control freak with no street sense.
He will wear out his welcome here soon enough.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
1. He's getting 19 mins a night, that's pretty clearly top 6 mins. When he does start the game playing with Pageau on the third line, he typically gets double shifted here and there with the top 6 as well.

2. I don't disagree so much with this one, I'd like to see Chabot and to a lesser extent, Harpur get more icetime. Not worried about how Brown/Forementon were handled, as they are at a different stage in their careers.

3. We've had some bad luck with deflection goals lately, but I don't really think the shots from the point have been causing all that much in terms of issues. Time will tell on that one.

4. Playing Chabot on the right side is literally being done to play him to his strengths. I'd have no issues with playing him on the left side and the role it entails, but I really don't think it's wise to adjust your system for a single player (rookie at that). Also worth pointing out, at the end of the day, we only have 2 RD up with the big club right now. Somebody has to play their off-side. Unless Boucher splits Ceci and Phaneuf in order to move Phaneuf to the right (my preference tbh), Chabot seems like the best option imo to fill Wideman's role.
1. He needs a better C than Pageau and better linemates on a consistent basis, not just once in a while.

3. Unchallenged point shots have been a problem and it is getting worse. The team can collapse without the forwards going so low they can't pressure the point.

4. Forcing Chabot to play his offside is the opposite of playing to his strengths. And yes, coaches can (and do) adapt their system to fit the personnel, even rookies. It is a tough enough jump to the NHL without having to play a new position.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
1. He needs a better C than Pageau and better linemates on a consistent basis, not just once in a while.

3. Unchallenged point shots have been a problem and it is getting worse. The team can collapse without the forwards going so low they can't pressure the point.

4. Forcing Chabot to play his offside is the opposite of playing to his strengths. And yes, coaches can (and do) adapt their system to fit the personnel, even rookies. It is a tough enough jump to the NHL without having to play a new position.

No he is actually making it easier by letting him have the puck on his stick more than his defense partner which is where he excels

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I'd like to see these lines:

Hoffman Brassard Stone (It works... keep it together)
Pageau Duchene Ryan (Pageau add responsibility to this line and grit)
Dzingel Thompson Didomenico
Paul Pyatt Burrows

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

honestly 11-7 is not the worst idea, as much as i want to run 12-6

its not like paul is making a huge impact as a 4th liner(even though it would be hard for him to do so with limited minutes) it does give us the flexibility to be more picky on who pks for us and who doesnt.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
No he is actually making it easier by letting him have the puck on his stick more than his defense partner which is where he excels

Playing his offside makes it way harder. Just let him use his skill set in the position he's played his whole life.

There is more than one d system and it might give our opponents something to think about instead of being the most predictable team in the NHL.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Yeah, I said at the begging of the season that I thought he'll be fired by November 2018. Feeling pretty comfortable with that prediction right now but he might be bumping that up with how much pressure there is to win now after the Duchene trade. The Sens cheap nature will probably force them to stay the course for this season.

It could be a year to the day where he's let go.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Hoping we get back in the win column tonight. Will be difficult, Ovie has 2 pts. in 6 games, he's due for a bounce back game.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

1. Hoffman to me mostly creates his own chances, much like Kessel. I don't think linemates are as important for him to be honest.

3. Disagree. Most of the time, teams really don't get a lot of quality chances from the points on us. The issue has been more imo with not tying up the guys getting the tips than contesting the shot from the point.

4. The coaches explained their rational; get the puck on his stick as much as possible, which is what playing the RD position does in our system. You may not agree, but that's exactly why they chose to do it; to take advantage of his skill set and allow him to start the breakout as frequently as possible.

Playing your offside has advantages and disadvantages. Playing the off side opens up better lanes for shots and passes in the OZ, plus much easier for one timers, but makes it more difficult to chip the puck up the boards (but can open up the bank passes a bit), or seal the play at the OZ blue line.

Some find it easier to keep rushes to the outside playing on their off-side as your stick is in better position to prevent them from cutting across in front of you,

Reactions: Alex1234

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Ironically Boucher's replacement in Tampa is also very fond of the 11/7 lineup these days.

Reactions: Alex1234

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
If you’re going to fire Boucher then blow it all up. Get the best returns you can for Karlsson, Stone and company.

You’re not going to magically win with some other coach, sorry.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
honestly 11-7 is not the worst idea, as much as i want to run 12-6

its not like paul is making a huge impact as a 4th liner(even though it would be hard for him to do so with limited minutes) it does give us the flexibility to be more picky on who pks for us and who doesnt.
Paul is still in the lineup tonight as a part of the 11-7

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I believe that GB is trying Paul with Duchene & Ryan tonight, how long that lasts is another question. IMO Dumont was brought in to find a compliment player to go with the Hoffman & Pageau line since DiDo has lost whatever mojo he may have had. Hoffman must be very difficult to play with since Pyatt, DiDo, Burrows & Dzingel have all been tried with him & have not worked. I assume White would be next if Dumont doesn't work out but they could bring up White to play centre & give Thompson a shot too. Or just put Hoffman back in the top six, we know that kinda works.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If you’re going to fire Boucher then blow it all up. Get the best returns you can for Karlsson, Stone and company.

You’re not going to magically win with some other coach, sorry.
It's not as if coaching changes have never turned a team around.

Not like Mike Sullivan didn't completely turn Pittsburgh around and win a cup? Johnston being fired in Deember certainly never led to a change in style with the exact same players.....

Come on
I believe that GB is trying Paul with Duchene & Ryan tonight, how long that lasts is another question. IMO Dumont was brought in to find a compliment player to go with the Hoffman & Pageau line since DiDo has lost whatever mojo he may have had. Hoffman must be very difficult to play with since Pyatt, DiDo, Burrows & Dzingel have all been tried with him & have not worked. I assume White would be next if Dumont doesn't work out but they could bring up White to play centre & give Thompson a shot too. Or just put Hoffman back in the top six, we know that kinda works.
I highly doubt they brought in a 27 year old with 7 points in his career to compliment our top goal scorer of the last 3 years...He was brought in to sit in the pressbox or be the grocery stick.

Putting 4 guys who are 4th liners and AHLers (with respect to Dzingel) that are not offensive oriented guys never worked with a purely offensive guy? Who'd have thunk it??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad