Pre-Game Talk: SENS in Detroit, Wed, Jan 3, 7:30 pm on SportsNet

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Trade Karlsson talk.

Our fanbase deserves Melnyck and his $20 parking.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I was a bit disappointed in Erik's turnover in OT, he was a bit lackadaisical about chipping that puck through the Wings player. But TSN's game coverage really made a point of blaming the first goal on him. It was a simple kick-to-the-centre play off the wall and ended up bouncing to the Wings player, and yeah, it was a turnover. They are really making the story of the night his defensive play.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Trade Karlsson talk.

Our fanbase deserves Melnyck and his $20 parking.

I don't think it's a black and white issue. Is he willing to stay? Does the price point at which he's willing to stay make sense for the team long term? If either of those questions is 'no', you absolutely start wondering about when it makes sense to move him.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Cody Ceci ......TOI... 25:55.... plus 1
Erik Karlsson TOI... 27:00....minus 2

Must get rid of Ceci.......... right?

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Cody Ceci ......TOI... 25:55.... plus 1
Erik Karlsson TOI... 27:00....minus 2

Must get rid of Ceci.......... right?

Does anyone really care about the +/- stat anymore though? Cody Ceci is now at over 300 NHL games played, I feel like what you Ceci is what you get. I am not opposed to trading him at all. He might be one of the guys we could get a good return on.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Does anyone really care about the +/- stat anymore though? Cody Ceci is now at over 300 NHL games played, I feel like what you Ceci is what you get. I am not opposed to trading him at all. He might be one of the guys we could get a good return on.

Also, it's one game, though I though Ceci played well.

Karlsson clearly isn't right since the surgery though, and until he is, we're in trouble.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
EDIT - One Sec. It got cut off part way through.

There we go:

If it doesn't play properly, try directly from Twitter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

In a game that ended 2 to 1, and one d man was a plus one, and the other was a minus 2 ........ I think it is relevant ............ just watch the replay(s), if you think it does not matter.

What I see in Ceci, is a D man that has played in the "Shutdown pairing" role, since he arrived full time in the NHL .......... his role is not to drive the offense, run the PP because that's Karlsson's role.

I also see that Ceci is almost always out, on the ice, when the opponents top offensive forwards are on the ice........... and so far this season he is a minus 7, vs Karlsson who is now a minus 22 on the season.

I see that Ceci plays the second most ave. per game TOI this season and last season, only behind Karlsson....... who gets way more TOI on the PP than Ceci does.

All I'm saying, if you're looking to Ceci to score points, you're not going to see it, that is not his role, and he plays a lot of minutes, and if "fans" think trading him is going to benefit the team ......... I would ask them who is going to take his minutes, and will he, or they, do any better in the role than he does.

Did I mention he's also a RH shot, that is another reason to keep him in Ottawa, as they are rare in the league at this time.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015

I always thought that using +/- is trash without watching the game but can be use when you understand and watch the game.

Karlsson -2 from last night is telling because he was responsible or partly responsible for those goal. Just like his -22 is very telling of his season. Not so much offence and bad in the dzone. We can tell because we watch him. Other fanbase won't know how those goal actually occured.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
In a game that ended 2 to 1, and one d man was a plus one, and the other was a minus 2 ........ I think it is relevant ............ just watch the replay(s), if you think it does not matter.

What I see in Ceci, is a D man that has played in the "Shutdown pairing" role, since he arrived full time in the NHL .......... his role is not to drive the offense, run the PP because that's Karlsson's role.

I also see that Ceci is almost always out, on the ice, when the opponents top offensive forwards are on the ice........... and so far this season he is a minus 7, vs Karlsson who is now a minus 22 on the season.

I see that Ceci plays the second most ave. per game TOI this season and last season, only behind Karlsson....... who gets way more TOI on the PP than Ceci does.

All I'm saying, if you're looking to Ceci to score points, you're not going to see it, that is not his role, and he plays a lot of minutes, and if "fans" think trading him is going to benefit the team ......... I would ask them who is going to take his minutes, and will he, or they, do any better in the role than he does.

Did I mention he's also a RH shot, that is another reason to keep him in Ottawa, as they are rare in the league at this time.

Ceci is garbage. No need to rehash why or to counter argue how good he is. He is a 5-6 d-man tops who should only be playing about 10 minutes a game. Most people agree, some don't, lets trade him and be done with this silly debate.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I don't think it's a black and white issue. Is he willing to stay? Does the price point at which he's willing to stay make sense for the team long term? If either of those questions is 'no', you absolutely start wondering about when it makes sense to move him.

Fans actively talking of trading EK after we are 2 weeks out from EK saying he loves Ottawa, wants to stay and wants to win here is treasoneous fan talk.

Fans can throw jerseys, hate the owner, not buy tickets, but to talk of trading EK 30 games after recovering from new ankle surgery after he was the best player in the NHL makes me hang my head in shame of being a Sens fan.

I was at the Boston game and saw the jersey throw and I dthink don't care. But fans actively calling EK lazy, EK selfish, EK unprepared - it makes you wonder what they like about the Ottawa Senators, if you can't like EK, why are out a fan of Ottawa?

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
His defensive game hasn't been a problem outside most of 13-14 (even then he was the best D-man in the Olympics by a country mile when he played alongside OEL) since 10-11. Last season he was the best D-man at both ends of the ice. In 15-16 he was very good defensively but the team defense was abysmal. In 14-15 once Methot returned he was the best player in the league.

He's had a bad season and he's more error-prone than some of the other top D in the league but let's not act like he's the only one that makes errors - or that he usually makes great plays on a regular basis. Almost every other top D doesn't have to be the offensive catalyst for their team, either.

Sorry but I'm seeing it completely different. Last year was the first time I saw EK being the best offensive and defensive version of himself. It could have been because he was supported by Methot but he was simply the best player out there on the ice. In years past he has shown some significant issues with his defensive game. He can move the puck nicely out of the zone, he can make crisp passes to others around him for them to move the puck out of the zone and he can even defend using only positioning very well. The problem is he has a tendency to float around way too much. Maybe he is tired from playing all the minutes he plays/perhaps its his ankle/perhaps he's trying to force plays too much...whatever it is, he looks brutal defensively when he plays like that. Not captain calibre.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
What are you trading him for? It will neve be better than Karlsson.
I'd trade him for a signed Tavares or high end prospects/picks especially if we are going to handy cap ourselves by paying him $12-$14 million dollars a year that he will demand.

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Ceci is garbage. No need to rehash why or to counter argue how good he is. He is a 5-6 d-man tops who should only be playing about 10 minutes a game. Most people agree, some don't, lets trade him and be done with this silly debate.

Yes there is, no one has ever explained why he is "garbage" ........ and they've never ever been able to explain why so many other GMs are calling about Ceci, if he's "garbage".

So go ahead, try and explain why he is "garbage" ...... I'll wait .......

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Fans actively talking of trading EK after we are 2 weeks out from EK saying he loves Ottawa, wants to stay and wants to win here is treasoneous fan talk.

Fans can throw jerseys, hate the owner, not buy tickets, but to talk of trading EK 30 games after recovering from new ankle surgery after he was the best player in the NHL makes me hang my head in shame of being a Sens fan.

I was at the Boston game and saw the jersey throw and I dthink don't care. But fans actively calling EK lazy, EK selfish, EK unprepared - it makes you wonder what they like about the Ottawa Senators, if you can't like EK, why are out a fan of Ottawa?
This isn't quite fair. I like Ottawa because of how Mark Stone plays his heart out, I like how a spark plug like Pageau brings it almost nightly, I like how Craig Anderson stands on his head like yesterday when our defensive zone coverage is swiss cheese. There are many things to like about the Sens. A lot of fans loved and hated Spezza too. EK is the same. He's high risk and high reward. Games where he's just awful defensively makes you wonder if he is part of the pieces that can delivery you a cup. If it's his ankle that has caused him to look bad this year, does it make sense to throw all the money at him that he will demand next year?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Yes there is, no one has ever explained why he is "garbage" ........ and they've never ever been able to explain why so many other GMs are calling about Ceci, if he's "garbage".

Go through the Ceci thread, more than enough reasons for you there. Also, check Garrioch's piece from yesterday, not too many GMs calling for Ceci anymore.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
This isn't quite fair. I like Ottawa because of how Mark Stone plays his heart out, I like how a spark plug like Pageau brings it almost nightly, I like how Craig Anderson stands on his head like yesterday when our defensive zone coverage is swiss cheese. There are many things to like about the Sens. A lot of fans loved and hated Spezza too. EK is the same. He's high risk and high reward. Games where he's just awful defensively makes you wonder if he is part of the pieces that can delivery you a cup. If it's his ankle that has caused him to look bad this year, does it make sense to throw all the money at him that he will demand next year?

Comparing Spezza to EK is like comparing Turris to Jonathan Toewes.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

How about explaining why he's good?

Only arguments I've seen in his favor is that he is young, defenceman take longer to develop and he is deployed like a top 4 defender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad