Pre-Game Talk: SENS in Detroit, Wed, Jan 3, 7:30 pm on SportsNet

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
We’ve only traded one player with close to the value of EK and his name was Yashin. How did that one work out for us? An injury prone, no contract Spezza doesn’t lick EK’s jockstrap in value
I said since Mike Milbury. Mad Mike gave the Sens the Spezza pick , Redden and others. Those were golden days.
But since he left alas the Sens have not got anything near full value. In fact all they got back for the most part is dreck.
Havlat left at the top of his game and he was a great player. And we got nothing.
It is true however that we've never had a player like EK and we never will again.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Okay. This year he’s been bad. He’s been the best d man in the game for yeeeeeaaarrrrsssssss. His defensive game hasn’t been an issue since his first couple seasons.

Not true. He was awful after coming back from the Achilles injury. Why were so many people asking the team to make him a forward?

He’s had too major setbacks in his career so far with injuries. It took time to get back to normal the first time, and the same thing is happening now.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I said since Mike Milbury. Mad Mike gave the Sens the Spezza pick , Redden and others. Those were golden days.
But since he left alas the Sens have not got anything near full value. In fact all they got back for the most part is dreck.
Spezza was traded past his prime though

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I'm more cheesed off at the 2 useless #1 centres that Dorion got us than I am at EK. What a waste those 2 guys are!!!!!

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
He's been the best OFFENSIVE defensive in the league for years. Don't mistake him for even a top 10 defensive dman. There are plenty of defensemen that are better than EK in playing actual defense. His defensive game has been an issue in plenty of years past and a topic of conversation on these very boards.

His defensive game hasn't been a problem outside most of 13-14 (even then he was the best D-man in the Olympics by a country mile when he played alongside OEL) since 10-11. Last season he was the best D-man at both ends of the ice. In 15-16 he was very good defensively but the team defense was abysmal. In 14-15 once Methot returned he was the best player in the league.

He's had a bad season and he's more error-prone than some of the other top D in the league but let's not act like he's the only one that makes errors - or that he usually makes great plays on a regular basis. Almost every other top D doesn't have to be the offensive catalyst for their team, either.

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
Dude, how much time to you spend on here? You joined after I did, and you have over twice the amount of posts. Do you ever get tired of eating potato chips?

Ha! Dude, maybe you should listen to the people who post here all the time. Maybe then we could enjoy the slightest bit of validity in your posts.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
And Hossa. And Redden. And Alfie before the 07 run.

Its weird how hard this city is on its star players.

No, I mean the poor defensive plays part. Everything in that post read like someone was describing Spezza.

I know Redden had it rough here, and Alfie before the 2007 playoffs, but Hossa? I don’t remember him having too many critics. He shouldn’t have either. Great two way player that worked his ass off.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I want him traded so we can build a dynasty. That’s not being idiotic it’s looking at the long game.

Being idiotic is holding on to him for so long that his value is diminished. Imagine a future of Thomas, Kyrou, Fabbri, Dahlin, Batherson, Formenton, Brown, Chlapik, White, Chabot, etc, etc, etc. And those first 3 are probably just part of what EK returns, then add in Hoffman, Brassard, Pageau and we’d have an insane prospect pool. Enough blue chippers that we’re set for many moons

Put that controller down.

Reactions: coladin

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Every Canadian city is like that.

This city also has a love affair with Alfie as well. People get down on bended knee whenever he walks by...

Yes, but he had his critics for a long time. It wasn’t always like that. People liked him initially when he won the Calder and helped get us in the playoffs in 97 and 98. Then when he became captain and we got bounced in the first round a few times, people were hard on him. He got a lot of heat in 2006 when we lost to Buffalo. Plus Pominville walked him on the winning goal.

He wasn’t always a god here.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Yes, but he had his critics for a long time. It wasn’t always like that. People liked him initially when he won the Calder and helped get us in the playoffs in 97 and 98. Then when he became captain and we got bounced in the first round a few times, people were hard on him. He got a lot of heat in 2006 when we lost to Buffalo. Plus Pominville walked him on the winning goal.

He wasn’t always a god here.
I know but my point was that every Canadian city is hard on their star players.

Question, has any other NHL team let alone Canadian club worshiped a player like Sens fan do Alfie?

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Put that controller down.
No controller here, you want continued mediocrity while I want a long term winner. Keeping EK keeps us a bubble team for years, just like that Price contract with the Habs. You are Bergevin here while I’m Shannaban

If we tear it down around EK and Stone then EK walks as a FA for nothing. A full rebuild unfortunately starts with the captain. P.S. I own 3 game worn EK jerseys

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
I want him traded so we can build a dynasty. That’s not being idiotic it’s looking at the long game.

Being idiotic is holding on to him for so long that his value is diminished. Imagine a future of Thomas, Kyrou, Fabbri, Dahlin, Batherson, Formenton, Brown, Chlapik, White, Chabot, etc, etc, etc. And those first 3 are probably just part of what EK returns, then add in Hoffman, Brassard, Pageau and we’d have an insane prospect pool. Enough blue chippers that we’re set for many moons

Been watching the World Juniors I take it?

It's not idiotic to sign Karlsson long term. Risky? Yes, all long term, big money deals are. But when he's on his game, he's one of the most influential, most valuable, and very best players in the world. The best defensemen of his generation. To think that he can overcome this rough patch and continue to be one of the very best in the world is not unreasonable. And the chances of getting fair value for him in a trade is slim.

Reactions: pepty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad