Senators removing about 1500 seat from the Canadian Tire Centre

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Kanata was forced by the government of Ontario to become part of Ottawa in 2001. This has been a common practice in Canada starting with the creation of 'Metro' Toronto in the late 50's. Killion can give us more details.

... spotted this earlier but no time to reply.... and "Killion can give us more details"?..... Not really, not so much. There were of course numerous "amalgamations" over the years, former boroughs & once distinct areas swallowed up by Boroughs & then by Metro-Toronto. Places like Leaside, Forest Hill, Swansea, Longbranch etc all annexed or merged; major Amalgamation in 1998 of course, 6 Boroughs all merging into one mega-city. Amalgamations have their supporters & their critics and Im in the latter camp. Many US cities like Chicago against it, something I wholeheartedly agree with & for all kinds of reasons.

He doesn't bother me one bit he is never going to be involved in the NHL anymore!! What is he doing now anyway? I hope that ESPN does a 30 for 30 on his lies and crooked behavior in Pittsburgh, Nashville, and Arizona. Just so everyone knows what a total jackhole he was.

I would just like the same "Valid Reasons" that Ottawa has for poor attendance to be applied to others. And I would like the ones claiming "no dirt cheap tickets" in Ottawa to acknowledge that yes they do have them.

Wheres Jimmy Lad nowadays?..... 1000's of miles from Tennessee so no worries there Buddy..... in fact, I guess the closest NHL franchise to where he's spent a lot of time over the past several years (in the high Arctic) would be Edmonton....

Balsillie formed the Arctic Research Foundation in 2011, searching for & finding the lost ships Erebus & Terror from Sir John Franklins ill fated voted voyage in 1848 from Britain in search of the Northwest Passage from the Atlantic & through the arctic to the Pacific & ultimately China & the far east. Numerous search parties, books written, movies & documentaries made over the past 150+ years but still mysteries linger. Balsillies ARF in conjunction with the Royal Canadian Navy did find both ships & both in almost pristine condition given the oceans conditions in the arctic, full scale underwater archaeological got underway, still going on. Short dive season up there.... Involved in other mostly benevolent activities, School for International Studies & so on.... I'll be sure to give him your warmest regards next time I run into him shall I?.

And hey, sure, of course..... "cheap tickets" have been available not just in Ottawa over the past 25+ years but so too in Vancouver, and the Canucks arena is urban, downtown & right on a subway line (called Skytrain). Who's claiming otherwise?.... Ha?...... You bring them to me.... We'll just see about that.... and oh, ya, before I go.... you have a Scuba Dive Ticket Gnash? I mean like "Commercial"? Hard Hat? Mebbe you'd like to spend some time with RimJim diving on the Erebus & Terror next summer... get to know the guy.... he's really not the Monster you make him out to be but if you find he is... could always just cut his air hose I suppose... visibility severely limited... no one would ever be able to ID you.... anyhoo.... sumthin to fantasi.... think about huh?... in fact, maybe we could entice Eugene Melnyk up there as well.... 2Fer.... get you to dispatch the pair of them... diving accident... happen all the time....

Last edited:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I work downtown, Right by the parliament buildings, and its 15 minutes (minimal traffic of course). Its 25K, 22K of highway (11 minutes at 120), and the last section takes about 4 minutes. You chosen a spot where very few work, they all work around. bank bank/slater.

Last year I had tickets to the season opener. I left downtown (Kent/Queen) at 6:30, I was in my seat at 7:05. If 35 minutes is way too much of a hardship for people, they are not much for fans .....

19000 average over 11 years? In the NHL thats not exceptionally strong? OK, very strong.

That was untrue in Ottawa though. They could not sell out a 10000 downtown seat stadium their second year, well within a honeymoon period

I think it is a bit illogical to say the more people that live around the arena, the worse the attendance will get. I would personally say exactly the opposite.

But people will not take it anyway. They complain it is hard to get out of, yet refuse to take the bus. The busses are there, but only 10% of people will take them.

But as for getting out, not sure why it is hard. I take the bus from downtown, its generally a 30 minute ride to CTC, certainly shorter than driving in the 3:30-5:30 timeframe.

But they have been making it for 20 years, so what has changed .......

You're trying to use the most ideal travel times as the norm. I've gotten from Milton to Spadina in Downtown Toronto in 20 minutes before. Doesn't mean I should go around telling people that's how long it takes. From anywhere in downtown, you are absolutely not getting to Kanata in 15 minutes at rush hour. Never, ever, ever. 35 minutes is also not typical, and the majority of people don't want to be rushing to barely arrive on time in the best case scenario. Most people have to budget at least an hour from the time they leave work to the time they get to the arena.

Let's not twist the numbers here. Ottawa's best stretch was from 2006 to 2013,, where they dipped below 18,000 only twice (I'll count the 18,949 as a 19,000+ attendance season). This was the years they were best marketed, where they had two huge stars (Alfredsson and Spezza), and the emergence of another one (Karlsson). It also surrounded the period they went to the finals. This 8 year stretch rode two seasons where they were one of the leagues best teams (05-06 and 06-07), and made the Finals. If we look at attendance before the lookout, despite making the playoffs eight straight seasons, the Senators never had a single season over 18,000 average attendance. This is a generally a bad sign, given the teams competitiveness (relatively speaking) and a brand new arena. I argue that these factors, in addition to evidence from around the North America sports world suggesting the problems with suburban stadiums, point to location as the problem for Ottawa. They haven't been making it for 20 years, they had some of the weakest attendance of Canadian teams up until 2006. It was always a bad location for the team.

As far as not selling out the old Ottawa Civic Centre, that was a horrible venue. Uncomfortable seats, makeshift luxury boxes, and OHL style amenities all made it a pretty ****** place. For the three years they played there, they were always above the pre-NHL capacity. It's telling attendance only increased a few thousand after moving to Kanata.

It's not illogical at all. Kanata is not Ottawa's only suburb. People won't take public transport because it's not convenient. In a downtown setting, public transport will take you to most neighbourhoods in the city/surrounding area. From Kanata, the options are more limited forcing a longer trip back. That 10% number would be higher if they played in downtown.

Ultimately, I don't know why you're defending the Kanata location. Ottawa fans are usually quick to point to the location when people bring up the low attendance. There's a reason they want to move closer to the downtown core. They're not doing it because Canadian Tire Centre is a dump. It's not. It's actually quite nice. They want to do it because they can draw more fans, and charge more for tickets/concessions/merchandise with a more in demand venue.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Ultimately, I don't know why you're defending the Kanata location. Ottawa fans are usually quick to point to the location when people bring up the low attendance. There's a reason they want to move closer to the downtown core. They're not doing it because Canadian Tire Centre is a dump. It's not. It's actually quite nice. They want to do it because they can draw more fans, and charge more for tickets/concessions/merchandise with a more in demand venue.

Its less of a defense of the location than more trying to help people understand what the dynamics are that have caused this large drop in attendance. Yes it is better downtown, but substantially?

Ultimately what has changed with the Sens since their big run on attendance? Nothing. And by nothing I mean the location and peoples salaries.

I know a lot of people who have dropped their seasons ticket and have stopped going to single games, or severely cut down and everyone says price. Its not Pheonix, location, or team performance issue. Checked a pay stub, found one from 09 and compared it to today. 4.3% gain, and that includes a .75% gain for a payout that I will miss and have to account for. So 3.5% over 8 years. Eventually the money crunch will hit, it has to. I know Ottawa tickets are pretty cheap compared to Canadian markets, but it still does not change the fact that when inflation is far outpacing pay raises and discretionary budgets are taking a huge hit, these big ticket items that are increasing well above inflation are the first to go.

Now there is finally a deal (back payed to 4 years ago) and employees will see a 4-5% increase very soon, and I think that will help, but government employees are in the same boat, the current deal expires in a few months, and if it takes another 4 years to negotiate a deal, that 4 more years without raises.

This is not as "woe is me" employee rant, I think we are payed well for what we do, but on the technical side people I know in private industry generally make 30K a year more than me (but hey the pension is worth it) and are making good raises. If the rest of the country is in that boat, then affording games on a year by year basis is not an issue. If their raises were more in line with government employees over the last decade, other smaller market teams would feel the pinch too.

And if I am right (and have ample evidence to suggest I am at least partly right), then a move downtown with a corresponding 25% increase in prices (that number has been mentioned), then also expecting a 30% increase in current attendance just seems unrealistic. I think the smaller rink is the way to go downtown.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Let's not twist the numbers here. Ottawa's best stretch was from 2006 to 2013,, where they dipped below 18,000 only twice (I'll count the 18,949 as a 19,000+ attendance season). This was the years they were best marketed, where they had two huge stars (Alfredsson and Spezza), and the emergence of another one (Karlsson). It also surrounded the period they went to the finals. This 8 year stretch rode two seasons where they were one of the leagues best teams (05-06 and 06-07), and made the Finals. If we look at attendance before the lookout, despite making the playoffs eight straight seasons, the Senators never had a single season over 18,000 average attendance. This is a generally a bad sign, given the teams competitiveness (relatively speaking) and a brand new arena. I argue that these factors, in addition to evidence from around the North America sports world suggesting the problems with suburban stadiums, point to location as the problem for Ottawa.

And how did their attendance compare to teams like Chicago, LA, San Jose and Washington in that time period?

They haven't been making it for 20 years, they had some of the weakest attendance of Canadian teams up until 2006. It was always a bad location for the team.

Categorically false. Their attendance was much better than the Alberta teams and beat Vancouver several times despite Vancouver being twice the size of Ottawa.

As far as not selling out the old Ottawa Civic Centre, that was a horrible venue. Uncomfortable seats, makeshift luxury boxes, and OHL style amenities all made it a pretty ****** place. For the three years they played there, they were always above the pre-NHL capacity. It's telling attendance only increased a few thousand after moving to Kanata.

Attendance in the last full season at the Civic Centre was 9879 and in the first full season at The Palladium it was 15377. That's a lot more than a few thousand and you should probably work on your math skills. Attendance would have been much better but the Sens were coming off their fourth straight season of being the worst team in the league with Randy "Firestone's friend" Sexton as the GM and franchise saviour Alexandre Daigle turning into a flop.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
There are. Coyotes are tarping off the upper four corners at GRA this season.

You just witnessed Del's own unique form of sarcasm, Foogs. ;)

Is that true? I was under the impression that they were back open. And just glancing at ticketmaster, against the stars in October it looks like all sections but 1 have tickets available.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Wheres Jimmy Lad nowadays?..... 1000's of miles from Tennessee so no worries there Buddy..... in fact, I guess the closest NHL franchise to where he's spent a lot of time over the past several years (in the high Arctic) would be Edmonton....

Balsillie formed the Arctic Research Foundation in 2011, searching for & finding the lost ships Erebus & Terror from Sir John Franklins ill fated voted voyage in 1848 from Britain in search of the Northwest Passage from the Atlantic & through the arctic to the Pacific & ultimately China & the far east. Numerous search parties, books written, movies & documentaries made over the past 150+ years but still mysteries linger. Balsillies ARF in conjunction with the Royal Canadian Navy did find both ships & both in almost pristine condition given the oceans conditions in the arctic, full scale underwater archaeological got underway, still going on. Short dive season up there.... Involved in other mostly benevolent activities, School for International Studies & so on.... I'll be sure to give him your warmest regards next time I run into him shall I?.
Nice to know he is keeping busy instead of interfering in team's leases and trying to sabotage them. Since he hates the USA I am glad he is far from it.

And hey, sure, of course..... "cheap tickets" have been available not just in Ottawa over the past 25+ years but so too in Vancouver, and the Canucks arena is urban, downtown & right on a subway line (called Skytrain). Who's claiming otherwise?.... Ha?...... You bring them to me.... We'll just see about that.... and oh, ya, before I go.... you have a Scuba Dive Ticket Gnash? I mean like "Commercial"? Hard Hat? Mebbe you'd like to spend some time with RimJim diving on the Erebus & Terror next summer... get to know the guy.... he's really not the Monster you make him out to be but if you find he is... could always just cut his air hose I suppose... visibility severely limited... no one would ever be able to ID you.... anyhoo.... sumthin to fantasi.... think about huh?... in fact, maybe we could entice Eugene Melnyk up there as well.... 2Fer.... get you to dispatch the pair of them... diving accident... happen all the time....
I'd pee down his air hose :laugh: His slimy actions here prove what type of person he really is. I don't want to be anywhere near him quite frankly.

Two people in this very thread not believing there are "Dirt Cheap" Tickets in Ottawa but haven't commented after I provided a link.
Get back to us when Ottawa starts offering dirt-cheap tickets and only gets 10k fans at the games and only 2k people are watching on TV... then you'll have a point. Otherwise, this is pretty minor and certainly temporary.
When were these dirt cheap ticket prices? Leafs fan in Ottawa and I'd go to sens games if tickets were cheap enough.

If the dollar was even I bet 75% of us based teams would love to be in Ottawa. (Mod)

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
... spotted this earlier but no time to reply.... and "Killion can give us more details"?..... Not really, not so much. There were of course numerous "amalgamations" over the years, former boroughs & once distinct areas swallowed up by Boroughs & then by Metro-Toronto. Places like Leaside, Forest Hill, Swansea, Longbranch etc all annexed or merged; major Amalgamation in 1998 of course, 6 Boroughs all merging into one mega-city. Amalgamations have their supporters & their critics and Im in the latter camp. Many US cities like Chicago against it, something I wholeheartedly agree with & for all kinds of reasons.

Chicago 120 years ago annexed as much as they could as did New York City Philadelphia and Los Angeles would follow. In Massachusetts the state would not allow Boston to do so which is why the core city population looks small at first glance. If you add up the population of the adjacent cities to Boston the population doubles. San Francisco was rebuffed as well.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Chicago 120 years ago annexed as much as they could as did New York City Philadelphia and Los Angeles would follow. In Massachusetts the state would not allow Boston to do so which is why the core city population looks small at first glance. If you add up the population of the adjacent cities to Boston the population doubles. San Francisco was rebuffed as well.

Massachusetts, as Kentucky and Virginia are commonwealths, as well as states.

CrazyCanucks

Jun 8, 2005
I guess Melniks ego got in the way. What a joke. How's is it a Canadian team cant sell out playoff games?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Is that true? I was under the impression that they were back open. And just glancing at ticketmaster, against the stars in October it looks like all sections but 1 have tickets available.

Over in the Phoenix thread I posted links to the season ticket seating chart from the site a week or so ago and the upper four corners on the ends were all grayed out.

Maybe they've changed their minds as the result of the ownership change, but it doesn't make sense to not make those seats available to STMs as they always have since the arena's been open.

:dunno:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Over in the Phoenix thread I posted links to the season ticket seating chart from the site a week or so ago and the upper four corners on the ends were all grayed out.

Maybe they've changed their minds as the result of the ownership change, but it doesn't make sense to not make those seats available to STMs as they always have since the arena's been open.

:dunno:

Dunno either. As of this morning, this date & time the 4 Upper Bowl Corners are blanked out. As it ties into the FanZone seats @ $12.50 per if they did decide to leave them open adjustments would have to be made to concessions & food product ordering, staffing etc. Pretty sure they'd have made some announcement if they'd decided to leave them un-tarped & open/available. I'd imagine as well that if they planned to try & sell advertising on the tarps that process would have or should have begun at the latest last spring, though maybe for this season they'll simply feature Coyotes & NHL identification on them, maybe be able to up-sell existing local sponsors. Be interesting to learn what price tag they put on them (along with other static & non-static platforms throughout the building) if indeed it is or ever was their intention to sell the tarps as giant billboards. We dont even know if its certain that was the plan. Youd think so but then, hey, its the Coyotes. They have a hard enough time as it is selling sponsorships to existing & traditional platforms in the building.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
And how did their attendance compare to teams like Chicago, LA, San Jose and Washington in that time period.

Categorically false. Their attendance was much better than the Alberta teams and beat Vancouver several times despite Vancouver being twice the size of Ottawa.

Attendance in the last full season at the Civic Centre was 9879 and in the first full season at The Palladium it was 15377. That's a lot more than a few thousand and you should probably work on your math skills. Attendance would have been much better but the Sens were coming off their fourth straight season of being the worst team in the league with Randy "Firestone's friend" Sexton as the GM and franchise saviour Alexandre Daigle turning into a flop.

Who cares how those teams did? I'm talking about Ottawa Senators attendance since they moved to Kanata, I'm not talking about those four other teams.

Not false. They were much worse than Montreal and Toronto, which is a given, and despite Ottawa being a playoff team. They beat Vancouver three times, by 1750 in 98-99, by 2000 in 99-00, and by 800 in 00-01. All three years Ottawa was a playoff team (and a good one at that), and Vancouver was one of the worst in the league. Over the past 20 years, Vancouver has had categorically better attendance than Ottawa. That's 3 of the 5 other teams that are undebatable. Ottawa beats Calgary in 98-99, 99-00, 00-01, 01-02, 02-03, and 03-04. Outside of those years, Ottawa and Calgary have similar attendance, or Calgary is better. Again, like Vancouver, Calgary was an awful year every year except 03-04, while Ottawa was a playoff team every season. Calgary, the awful team, beat them in 96-97 and had slightly more in 97-98 despite Ottawa's better success in a nicer stadium. On the aggregate, Calgary has done better than Ottawa. So that's worse than 4 of the 5 other teams.

With Edmonton, Ottawa is on paper better but their arena fitted ~16,800. Capacity wise, Edmonton beats Ottawa from 1996 till 1999. They were behind Ottawa in 95-96, and again in 99-00 and 00-01. They've been at 98-100% capacity ever since the 01-02 season. I've hyperlinked historical attendance for Ottawa in my last most, and all three in dispute Canadian teams in this. You are categorically wrong. Calgary you have the best argument for, but at best you can say they've had similar attendance to Calgary. Vancouver is indisputably better, and by capacity percentage, Edmonton is as well.

Unlike some others who discuss Ottawa's attendance, I'm not blaming it on the market or the team. So that's not there to attack. But my numbers are right, and you cannot twist them. Ottawa has most definitely had the poorest Canadian attendance over the last 20-25 years. If you continue to dispute this, you might be the one who needs to work on their math skills.

The definition of "few" when it's used to describe numbers is generally 3-5. Note that is within the increase of which I've described in the move from Ottawa Civic to Kanata. But semantics bore me. So I'll focus on facts. Ottawa's first full season in Kanata was 1996-97 season. They made the playoffs that season. Yes they were the worst team the season before, but they were still within the honeymoon period for a new arena. In their half season in their new arena, attendance is not great either. After selling out their first game in Kanata, they drop down to 14,000 the next, and can't sell out the next two games against the Penguins or Red Wings, both which had big name stars on them. They only sold out 7 games (I'll count a New Jersey game where they missed a sellout by a hundred or so tickets). With the exception of the first game in Kanata against Montreal which was on a Wednesday, every game except their final home game of the season (a Thursday) was on Friday or Saturday. Attendance for weekday games ranged from good/solid to bad. That's over the course of 25 home games. Even for a last place team, that is not good for a new venue. The fact they sold out several marquee Fri/Sat games implies location was an issue. Something that remains today; people don't want to go see a bad/mediocre team during the week with that commute.

Its less of a defense of the location than more trying to help people understand what the dynamics are that have caused this large drop in attendance. Yes it is better downtown, but substantially?

Ultimately what has changed with the Sens since their big run on attendance? Nothing. And by nothing I mean the location and peoples salaries.

I know a lot of people who have dropped their seasons ticket and have stopped going to single games, or severely cut down and everyone says price. Its not Pheonix, location, or team performance issue. Checked a pay stub, found one from 09 and compared it to today. 4.3% gain, and that includes a .75% gain for a payout that I will miss and have to account for. So 3.5% over 8 years. Eventually the money crunch will hit, it has to. I know Ottawa tickets are pretty cheap compared to Canadian markets, but it still does not change the fact that when inflation is far outpacing pay raises and discretionary budgets are taking a huge hit, these big ticket items that are increasing well above inflation are the first to go.

Now there is finally a deal (back payed to 4 years ago) and employees will see a 4-5% increase very soon, and I think that will help, but government employees are in the same boat, the current deal expires in a few months, and if it takes another 4 years to negotiate a deal, that 4 more years without raises.

This is not as "woe is me" employee rant, I think we are payed well for what we do, but on the technical side people I know in private industry generally make 30K a year more than me (but hey the pension is worth it) and are making good raises. If the rest of the country is in that boat, then affording games on a year by year basis is not an issue. If their raises were more in line with government employees over the last decade, other smaller market teams would feel the pinch too.

And if I am right (and have ample evidence to suggest I am at least partly right), then a move downtown with a corresponding 25% increase in prices (that number has been mentioned), then also expecting a 30% increase in current attendance just seems unrealistic. I think the smaller rink is the way to go downtown.

It doesn't have to be substantially, the attendance isn't that low anyways. It's just "embarrassing" because Ottawa is Canadian. To me, the team hasn't done a good job at marketing itself in the last 4-5 years. Melnyk is cheap and may or may not have any money, so I'd suspect their marketing budget has gone way done. Karlsson is a better player than Spezza or Alfredsson were, but not as a big a "star" as they were.

Price is a convenient reason, but it's a lot easier to cite when the arena is farther away. The perks many government employees get are substantial (pension, benefits, job security). Honestly I don't think the market is that different in that regard from Montreal/Vancouver. Toronto it's mostly corporate suits but I'd suspect income is comparable among Senators attendees and Montreal/Vancouver attendees. I'm not surprised cost is the cited reason, but I'd wager (I doubt anyone has done research on this) that underlying issues make the price a more compelling disincentive.

They won't got ~19,000 downtown, that's for sure. Between 17,000 and 18,000 is likely. Prices will definitely go up 25% at least, maybe even 30-40%. Still, it shouldn't be hard to sell out. History teaches us the importance and allure of downtown arenas.

Last edited:

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
I guess Melniks ego got in the way. What a joke. How's is it a Canadian team cant sell out playoff games?

They could have....easily. But they would have made less money.

As of October of last year Ottawa had the 12th priciest tickets in the league.

To sellout (honestly they should have anyway but...) they could have not bumped prices up for the playoffs as much as they did. Would have filled the place...but the ticket revenue would have been less, so why bother?

I use attendance to judge teams like Columbus, Miami, Phoenix, Raleigh, etc. that have the league's lowest ticket prices. With the lowest prices in the league....attendance counts. Once attendance rises....then ticket prices can start to inch up too.

So, long story short....the Senators could have soldout (and should have regardless) but chose to optimize their revenue (or try to anyway) instead. And this is tough for me....because I've never believed a team should have been put in Ottawa, the bankruptcy and now this issue are proving my case for me.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Not false. They were much worse than Montreal and Toronto, which is a given, and despite Ottawa being a playoff team.

Not really it was on par with toronto for many years, but has only dropped off lately (not co-inciding to a move to Kanata either). Just look at post lockout.

Year: difference
2017 : 3000
2016 : 1000
2015 : 1100
2014 : 1300
2013 : same
2012 : 100
2011 : 1000
2010 : 1000
2009 : 400
2008 : -400 (Ottawa more)
2007 : 100
2006 : -100 (Ottawa more)

8 years post lockout Toronto beat ottawa by 300 a year. Thats not far more. It has accelerated only lately.

And of course not surprising, there was no pay raise 2009 - 2011, pay raises in 2012 and 2013, then no pay raises until this year. Based on being on the groyund here in Ottawa knowing people who buy and cancel tickets, it is no surprise to me that as years go by with no raise, attendance drops, and in years when it is gotten (and usually a windfall payment) it goes up. Basic economics.

Price is a convenient reason, but it's a lot easier to cite when the arena is farther away. The perks many government employees get are substantial (pension, benefits, job security). Honestly I don't think the market is that different in that regard from Montreal/Vancouver.

Yes, but pensions (which are a drag on take home income), benefits and job security (which is the PS these days is not so high, or at least the mood is not) do not pay for tickets. If those perks were pay, then yes, but they are not.

They won't got ~19,000 downtown, that's for sure. Between 17,000 and 18,000 is likely. Prices will definitely go up 25% at least, maybe even 30-40%. Still, it shouldn't be hard to sell out. History teaches us the importance and allure of downtown arenas.

I'm not sure it does. Ottawa is a different beast. Pretty much every other city in the NHL has a downtown dominated by large corporate companies with a cadre of very well payed managers (top 5% of salaries in Canada). Ottawa does not. there is minimal corporate presence downtown, It is dominated by the government and lesser paid employees ( < top 5%) who are far less likely to buy tickets. The center of downtown where the vast majority of people work (bank and sparks) has zero nightlife, unlike every other NHL city.

Where is Ottawa private companies head quartered? Largely in the west end, in fact almost exclusively. History has shown the support in downtown was poor. Where are the highest average salaries? Largely west and south ends.

I'm not saying downtown is not a better place, only that price vs disposable income (non increasing) has been the largest factor in the loss of attendance, and a downtown arena with a much higher price cannot support the type of attendance we have seen in the west end. I'd say especially the first number of years it will be there because transit likely will not be overly efficient from the west end, and they will likely see a large drop off of their traditional support.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Price is a convenient reason, but it's a lot easier to cite when the arena is farther away. The perks many government employees get are substantial (pension, benefits, job security). Honestly I don't think the market is that different in that regard from Montreal/Vancouver. Toronto it's mostly corporate suits but I'd suspect income is comparable among Senators attendees and Montreal/Vancouver attendees. I'm not surprised cost is the cited reason, but I'd wager (I doubt anyone has done research on this) that underlying issues make the price a more compelling disincentive.

You do realize that government employees can't buy hockey tickets as a business expense, and not only that, they aren't allowed to accept them as a gift or as part of a business development activity from private sector businesses either.

This is how a lot of season tickets get sold in other cities. Whether or not the people in those other cities actually bring clients to the game, I'm pretty sure they end up as tax write-offs.

The city with the largest public sector in the country is at a disadvantage.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
These boards have this obsession with NHL attendance. At the prices the NHL charges, most people including in Canada are priced out. The challenge for the teams is having the right arena in the right location and finding the customer with the money to pay for the seats. Never had a problem with people coming late or leaving early for games in any NHL city because they are the ones paying those ticket prices.;)

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Not really it was on par with toronto for many years, but has only dropped off lately (not co-inciding to a move to Kanata either). Just look at post lockout.

Year: difference
2017 : 3000
2016 : 1000
2015 : 1100
2014 : 1300
2013 : same
2012 : 100
2011 : 1000
2010 : 1000
2009 : 400
2008 : -400 (Ottawa more)
2007 : 100
2006 : -100 (Ottawa more)

8 years post lockout Toronto beat ottawa by 300 a year. Thats not far more. It has accelerated only lately.

And of course not surprising, there was no pay raise 2009 - 2011, pay raises in 2012 and 2013, then no pay raises until this year. Based on being on the groyund here in Ottawa knowing people who buy and cancel tickets, it is no surprise to me that as years go by with no raise, attendance drops, and in years when it is gotten (and usually a windfall payment) it goes up. Basic economics.

Yes, but pensions (which are a drag on take home income), benefits and job security (which is the PS these days is not so high, or at least the mood is not) do not pay for tickets. If those perks were pay, then yes, but they are not.

I'm not sure it does. Ottawa is a different beast. Pretty much every other city in the NHL has a downtown dominated by large corporate companies with a cadre of very well payed managers (top 5% of salaries in Canada). Ottawa does not. there is minimal corporate presence downtown, It is dominated by the government and lesser paid employees ( < top 5%) who are far less likely to buy tickets. The center of downtown where the vast majority of people work (bank and sparks) has zero nightlife, unlike every other NHL city.

Where is Ottawa private companies head quartered? Largely in the west end, in fact almost exclusively. History has shown the support in downtown was poor. Where are the highest average salaries? Largely west and south ends.

I'm not saying downtown is not a better place, only that price vs disposable income (non increasing) has been the largest factor in the loss of attendance, and a downtown arena with a much higher price cannot support the type of attendance we have seen in the west end. I'd say especially the first number of years it will be there because transit likely will not be overly efficient from the west end, and they will likely see a large drop off of their traditional support.

You're looking at the numbers wrong. No one can dispute Ottawa had a great run of attendance post-lockout, but the Leafs have never had a season attendance average under capacity since moving to the ACC. The ACC fits 18,819. In Ottawa's best years, they are comparable to Toronto given they were regularly selling out. But the Leafs undeniably have a better attendance record. You have to remember, between 2005 and 2009, Ottawa was one of the best teams in the league. At this time, demand would have exceeded the supply. Other factors are at play, but high attendance is an outlier explained by the teams performance, that's how I'd analyze the figures.

Yes, for a city of Ottawa's size their corporate footprint is low (it's probably the same size if not a little lower than Kitchener-Waterloo which is half the size). Still, public employees still are paid very well, and there are an abundance of public relations, public affairs, and consulting (both policy and business) firms in Ottawa. It's not devoid of corporate support, it's just low. And we can't also forget that Ottawa has one of the smallest metro's in the NHL (ahead of only Carolina, Buffalo, and Winnipeg). Ottawa does however have one of the highest per capita incomes in the NHL (numbers are technically skewed because CAD is worth less than USD so Washington is the only American city in the top 8).

Nobody really thinks of the nightlife in Ottawa as being in the "traditional" downtown anyway, so it's kind of weird to hear someone from Ottawa refer to there being no nightlife in downtown Ottawa. To me, Byward Market is for all intents an purposes "downtown", and there is plenty of nightlife there. I think you're confusing the CBD with downtown. "Downtown Ottawa" is a neighbourhood comprising of Ottawa's CBD, but using the "general" definition of downtown, downtown Ottawa is all of the CBD, Lowertown, Sandy Hill, and Gatineau right across the river (I might be forgetting somewhere but I'm not a Ottawa native, so when I think of Downtown I mostly just think of these neighbourhoods).

Anyways, downtown is there for accessibility from all directions, not because it's necessarily an economic hotbed (not saying it isn't though). The LeBreton Flats isn't in the CBD anyway, it's just easier to refer to the new arena plan as being in downtown Ottawa given that most people not from Ottawa have never heard of the LeBreton Flats.

I recognize and understand the specific market dynamics that make Ottawa's high income less meaningful for discretionary purchases like hockey tickets. However, Ottawa doesn't have to be like Toronto or Ottawa. The tickets, which may be pricey by league standards, are not obscenely expensive like the Leafs. Ottawa certainly has an income base to support healthy season ticket sales, if the Senators are an attractive purchase. My overall point is that all else being equal, the location makes the Senators less attractive. Buffalo has had a pretty healthy attendance and season ticket figure since 2006-07, and I think it's pretty hard to argue that Ottawa isn't wealthier/doesn't have better corporate support than Buffalo. Location is a big difference in this case.

I think at this point we'll agree to disagree. I'd put money on the Senators being a more profitable franchise with an arena in the LeBreton Flats though. I guess we'll have to wait till/if that happens.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I think at this point we'll agree to disagree. I'd put money on the Senators being a more profitable franchise with an arena in the LeBreton Flats though. I guess we'll have to wait till/if that happens.

I think you are still missing my point. I have not said it will be less profitable downtown. What I have said that in the face of what is to be expected to be a 25% price hike (and you feel much higher) and my data showing the cost is a big factor in what is currently depressing attendance, expecting a 30% increase in attendance (over last years numbers) is unrealistic.

Building a 16000 seat stadium downtown with a 25% increase in ticket prices will be about 10% more profitable than the best they have done in Kanata. So yes it is more profitable, i absolutely agree. What I disagree with is that they should be building a 20000 seat stadium because it would easily fill.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I think you are still missing my point. I have not said it will be less profitable downtown. What I have said that in the face of what is to be expected to be a 25% price hike (and you feel much higher) and my data showing the cost is a big factor in what is currently depressing attendance, expecting a 30% increase in attendance (over last years numbers) is unrealistic.

Building a 16000 seat stadium downtown with a 25% increase in ticket prices will be about 10% more profitable than the best they have done in Kanata. So yes it is more profitable, i absolutely agree. What I disagree with is that they should be building a 20000 seat stadium because it would easily fill.

I understand. I just don't think the income issue is the deciding factor. At the same time as income growth has slowed, Melnyk has spent less and less on the team, and the two biggest stars in franchise history (before Karlsson) have left, and besides EK there really hasn't been anything to attract fans. Like I said, it's a lot easier to decide tickets aren't worth the money when the team isn't very fun to watch and the arena isn't very close.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Senators sold the most seats in the Conference finals of 4 teams, who cares if they were a few hundred short one night.

You hear tickets are too expensive, well the ones that weren't selling were the cheapest ones, an d those are the seats closing, last 5-6 rows in the third bowl ends.

Hopefully the govt cans solve the payroll fiasco for its employees soon.

govt employees can't accept free tickets, like they are given away like candy in Toronto, thru businesses.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
doesn't ottawa have a new stadium being built anyways?

Negotiations are going on, but it's not a sure-thing yet. The process is in place for a new stadium after they won a government bid to develop a big parcel of open land near downtown Ottawa.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
For those complaining the arena is too far away, how long does it usually take to get to the arena? Google Maps says it is about 20 mins from Parliament Hill even in rush hour?

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
For those complaining the arena is too far away, how long does it usually take to get to the arena? Google Maps says it is about 20 mins from Parliament Hill even in rush hour?

15 minutes non rush hour. Usually 45 rush hour game night. Rush hour is roughly 3:30 to 5:30. But winter weather/accident can add a lot to this commute, and it only takes one or two of those to really sour people on the drive.

Last year I did 35 minutes from roughly parliment (1 minute away) to my butt in the seat leaving at 6:30PM for the home opener (packed).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad