Prospect Info: Senators Prospects Watch 2017/2018

Which 2017 prospect will break out this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
But we signed this Danny Taylor guy. He allowed 7 goals against the worst team in the conference today but hey we've got Andrew Hammond to back him up.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Love those highlight gifs.

Bloody hell.....we've got an amazing prospect pool. If these kids all keep up this kind of pace for the season, then we'll be golden.

I appreciate the gifs from everyone too, it really is a nice addition to reading the stats.

Also love hearing from those who get to watch the kids live...it's almost hard to believe how well our prospects have done recently, no? I mean I know other teams have top prospects too but there are only so many teams and it just seems our guys are doing extremely well in any league they are in. Our 1st round pick gets the least amount of hype here because our other rounds are doing so well.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Hammond will be dealt or loaned soon enough, so the goalie situation will play out

Taylor was a great signing, he’s very talented and it’s great to have the veteran to go with prospects.

Patience on Hogberg people. Worst case, he goes back to Sweden to play out the season. Being in the ECHL gives him a new perspective and it’s a league a lot of star goalies played in

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Patience on Hogberg people. Worst case, he goes back to Sweden to play out the season. Being in the ECHL gives him a new perspective and it’s a league a lot of star goalies played in
If he goes back to Sweden I doubt he ever comes back. He's a good goalie and can play as a starter in SHL/KHL. At 24 yo you want some stability in your career.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Batherson is probably having the best draft+1 season in the Q since Mantha.
Yes, but Mantha was already a developed/known prospect. He scored 50 goals in his draft year.

What Batherson is doing (small sample size) this season in conjunction with his development from age 17-present, is quite literally, unheard of.

Here is a list of Junior A leagues, in order of talent:

BCHL
AJHL
SJHL
OJHL
CCHL
MHL(Formerly MJAHL)/MJHL/NOJHL/SIJHL

Batherson, in his NHL draft year, scored 4 goals and 19 points in 28 games in the MJAHL. That isn't enough to earn a walk-on with Q teams for the most part. That is production of non-drafted midget players.

Now, less than 18 months removed from that season, he is the best player in the QMJHL, drafted by the Senators with a contract in hand, with 15 goals through his first 13 games.

The guy has 13 more points than the next closest guy on his team....

I can't remember such a large development curve in my ~10 years involved in various aspects of junior hockey.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
If he goes back to Sweden I doubt he ever comes back. He's a good goalie and can play as a starter in SHL/KHL. At 24 yo you want some stability in your career.
he is not 24. He is under contract with the Ottawa Senators so there's no way he wouldn't come back.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Man thats not what i want to hear. They've handled this goalie situation very poorly.

Hogberg has big game potential and needed to see regular AHL starts. Now he's being thrown in the ECHL and being thrown an odd start here and there.

Hes played 2 games this year from what i can see

Well, Hogberg needs to be able to win games in the ECHL. If you guys think he should be in the AHL, he needs to prove himself. He is going to be 23 y/o in a month, goalies take time to develop, no rush

Love those highlight gifs.

Bloody hell.....we've got an amazing prospect pool. If these kids all keep up this kind of pace for the season, then we'll be golden.

But wasn't it ranked 27th this summer by "thehockeywriters"? :sarcasm:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I have no problem with Hogberg "playing" in the ECHL. The problem I have is that the Sens do not have their own ECHL team and Hogberg has to share the crease in Montreal's ECHL team with two other goalies. They need to get him more consistent playing time. If I'm Hogberg I'm po'ed

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
How would you guys rank our top prospects right now? Sounds like a lot has changed since the spring. I'm assuming Chabot, brown, and white will still be most people's top 3, but it looks like bowers, formenton, chlapik, and batherson are really making names for themselves

Mine as of today (note that I rank prospects based on several factors, upside potential and skill-set might be the most important ones) :

Graduated : Claesson (played 57 games so he is going to be fully graduated in 8 games)

1- Thomas Chabot
2- Logan Brown
3- Colin White
4- Filip Chlapik
5- Drake Batherson
6- Christian Jaros
7- Alex Formenton
8- Shane Bowers
9- Ben Harpur
10- Francis Perron
11- Nick Paul
12- Marcus Hogberg
13- Maxime Lajoie
14- Christian Wolanin
15- Andreas Englund
16- Parker Kelly
17- Gabriel Gagne
18- Markus Nurmi
19- Miles Gendron
20- Todd Burgess
21- Chris Driedger
22- Kelly Summers
23- Patrick Sieloff
24- Filip Ahl
25- Jordan Hollett
26- Joel Daccord
27- Cody Donaghey
28- Macoy Erkamps
29- Vincent Dunn

Awesome Top-15

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
Anyone seen any of Shane Bowers' games? Currently tied for 2nd in goals and 3rd in points at BU.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Hogberg has no reason to go back to the SEL & why would he if he wants to someday play in the NHL. He will bide his time wait for a move to be made with Hammond or just wait until next season when Hammond will be gone as might Taylor or Dreidger too.

He's in a great position with no pressure on him & he just has to work on his game & nothing else. It's quite likely like every other yr that a goalie could get hurt either in Ottawa or Bellville which will push him up a notch on the order or if he wins games & plays great he will move up naturally anyway. He's a 23 yr old goalie with lots to learn & lots of time to develop, no reason to worry at all with him at this point. He's much closer to the NHL where he is now than if he were in Sweden, that's for sure & he will get NHL goalie coaching here.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Hogberg has no reason to go back to the SEL & why would he if he wants to someday play in the NHL.
I wonder if he has a higher earning potential staying in Sweden until getting NHL backup duties vs ECHL/AHL assignments.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Anyone seen any of Shane Bowers' games? Currently tied for 2nd in goals and 3rd in points at BU.
I've watched a couple of his games. I have liked what I have seen. One game I watched he scored 2 goals. Playing 2nd line C behind Bobo Carpenter a jr (3rd year). I did not follow the games this past weekend. Before that he was seeing time on the PP and on the PK.

Reactions: Inf4mous0ne

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
I have no problem with Hogberg "playing" in the ECHL. The problem I have is that the Sens do not have their own ECHL team and Hogberg has to share the crease in Montreal's ECHL team with two other goalies. They need to get him more consistent playing time. If I'm Hogberg I'm po'ed

That was the point I was trying to get across. I don't mind that he's in the ECHL. The issue is with him being there and not playing.

Reactions: Panic at the Back

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Nice article.

Is it just me, or is there something with kids who have their growth spurt later than usual? Formenton and Batherson both grew up as smaller kids, and focused on the skills portion of the game....then suddenly the growth happens and they can take those polished skills and use them more effectively than bigger kids who grew up relying on size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad