Prospect Info: Senators Prospects Watch 2017/2018

Which 2017 prospect will break out this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It's Ceci's brain, not his hands, that hold him back. He thinks the game a second too slow.

In the 40+ games I've seen of Dobson the past 2 years, hands have never been an issue, nor has it been brought up by the dozen or so of scouts I've chatted with this year alone.

I mean he doesn't have hands like Boqvist or Hughes, that's definitely true. There is nothin better concerning about them whatsoever though, no matter how many times the puck has bounced and bobbled these 3 nationally televised Mem Cup games.

The Sens won't be drafting Dobson regardless, so the point is moot.
Dog youve been implying that hes up on their list.. kinda

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Why are we using SBNation basement blogger lists as anything?

It is because main stream scouts generally do not trash players skill set. They use generic code like lacks dynamism to demonstrate a player doesn't have high offensive upside.

There are many, many mainstream scouts who see Dobson as more of steady two way D-man.

Find a mainstream scout who argues high ceiling.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It is because main stream scouts generally do not trash players skill set. They use generic code like lacks dynamism to demonstrate a player doesn't have high offensive upside.

There are many, many mainstream scouts who see Dobson as more of steady two way D-man.

Find a mainstream scout who argues high ceiling.
So rather than listen to the dozen or so, actual NHL scouts, that I have spoken with this season, I should listen to these guys?

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
So rather than listen to the dozen or so, actual NHL scouts, that I have spoken with this season, I should listen to these guys?

It is pretty simple I watch the games and express an opinion. It happens to match what other have said, including mainstream scouts.

You act as if Dobson's offensive skills are above reproach, while at bare minium, there is a debate.

Mainstream scouts are also the victims group think. They often miss the mark on D-men. I am not comparing Dobson to Ceci, but take a look at the latters scouting reports during his draft year. They are terribly inaccurate.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It is pretty simple I watch the games and express an opinion. It happens to match what other have said, including mainstream scouts.

You act as if Dobson's offensive skills are above reproach, while at bare minium, there is a debate.

Mainstream scouts are also the victims group think. They often miss the mark on D-men. I am not comparing Dobson to Ceci, but take a look at the latters scouting reports during his draft year. They are terribly inaccurate.
No, I'm doing the exact same as you, but instead of using "mainstream" or bloggers, I'm using a much bigger (safe assumption) sample size of games viewed, and actual NHL employed scouts viewes.

I'll drop it though, opinions are opinions, nothing to change that.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Is it even fair to use Memorial Cup games as a barometer when scouting kids? These are what, around the 100th game those kids have played this season? By this time, they usually don't have anything left in the tank, and are running on fumes.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Is it even fair to use Memorial Cup games as a barometer when scouting kids? These are what, around the 100th game those kids have played this season? By this time, they usually don't have anything left in the tank, and are running on fumes.

Or they haven't played in a month and are shaking the rust off.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
No knock really, could side him in anywhere from 8-10. Don't see him ever being a true top pairing guy other than offense.
Lets be fair here. We all thought the same thing about Karlsson.

(Not that'll he'll become the next Karlsson like every offensive minded defenseman from Sweden is being labelled as these days)

R2010

May 23, 2011
Lets be fair here. We all thought the same thing about Karlsson.

(Not that'll he'll become the next Karlsson like every offensive minded defenseman from Sweden is being labelled as these days)

Karlsson was a big riser throughout the year. Boqvist seems to be falling a bit. Usually the guys who end up being stars are ones who show a fair amount of growth in their game. Boqvist does not appreciably seem like his game grew like Karlsson's did in his draft year. Might happen next year though - who knows. All depends on his commitment to getting stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad