Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Talk 2014-2015 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
Cowen is a below average fighter for his size kinda like Gryba. Gryba, Cowen and Harpur would do well to just play the game and avoid fighting heavy weights. Maybe below average for their size is the wrong term but Cowen and Gryba both have the potential to get their ass kicked by smaller players boro would do well against. Against guys who consistently fight i dont like their odds

Im going to assume Englund cant fight

This shouldnt be an issue though. We shouldnt need fighters its merely something that adds something to guys who can play. If worst comes to worst and the sens are being pushed around call up kramer. Not the biggest dude but he can hold his own against anyone. He led the AHL in PIMS. Another option is to sign some cheap fighter heavy weight for the AHL as insurance.

Guillaume Lepine was good in bingo and he can fight too. Pretty big guy. Not sure what his contract situation is but he should be retained

Tinordi is not an issue. Hes not that good plus the highlights of him fighting have been him being embarrassed.

McAaron is a better fighter although hes still in junior.

Sens potentially becoming a soft team is of zero concern or at least near the bottom of the list

Apparently Dunn made rascist remarks to Trey Lewis. I never heard that story

Brian Murray won't let us become a soft team, he loves the gritty players. We can't sacrifice skill for fighting ability, I'd rather guys like Pageau than fighters. I don't want someone who goes out looking for a fight, I want someone who will say "I don't care if you're bigger and an actual fighter, we don't get pushed around because we are a team." I don't care of we lose every fight, we just need the feistyness.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Cowen is a below average fighter for his size kinda like Gryba. Gryba, Cowen and Harpur would do well to just play the game and avoid fighting heavy weights. Maybe below average for their size is the wrong term but Cowen and Gryba both have the potential to get their ass kicked by smaller players boro would do well against. Against guys who consistently fight i dont like their odds

This shouldnt be an issue though. We shouldnt need fighters its merely something that adds something to guys who can play. If worst comes to worst and the sens are being pushed around call up kramer. Not the biggest dude but he can hold his own against anyone. He led the AHL in PIMS. Another option is to sign some cheap fighter heavy weight for the AHL as insurance.

Guillaume Lepine was good in bingo and he can fight too. Pretty big guy. Not sure what his contract situation is but he should be retained

Tinordi is not an issue. Hes not that good plus the highlights of him fighting have been him being embarrassed.

Sens potentially becoming a soft team is of zero concern or at least near the bottom of the list

Guy is an intriguing player. Hopefully he learn to stay on the line and not act like an idiot. Hope he comes into bingo with a chip on his shoulder after being ditched a few times in the Q and then having the ultimate insult of being kicked off his team

When? Like two years ago? He got suspended on Val'dor at the start of last season, but I thought Trey was playing in Mirimichi at the time (brother played with him)

I never heard anything about his suspension this year, even being around a few rinks

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Did I just read that Derek Grant's abilities as a pugilist could replace Chris Neil? :facepalm:

Sorry I totally thought the article was about the Sens needing to make cap space to sign some key RFAs. I must have missed the point. Not sure how well Grant can or cannot fight but my money would be on Neil if it came to that.

They probably need to clear about 4-5 million bucks to sign Stone, Zib, Pageau, Hoffman, Chiasson no matter how well Grant can fight.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Quite the goal by Lindberg last night. Guy is going to make Binghamton better next year.

Wonder if Paul is a centre or wing prospect in Senators minds. Paul could end up as his centre.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Quite the goal by Lindberg last night. Guy is going to make Binghamton better next year.

Wonder if Paul is a centre or wing prospect in Senators minds. Paul could end up as his centre.

Paul and Lindberg together would be amazballs. Now picture them developing to eventually play with Lazar ;) (that would be a great/perfect 3rd line)

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Paul-Lazar-Lindberg 1st line for Bingo to start next year?

Btw, Derek Grant is anything but Neil. Imagine a subtle 2 way defensive minded puck possession 4th line C who can finish his checks... uh Brian Boyle?

Lazarrr

Apr 10, 2010
Ottawa
Is Lindberg signed yet? Because doesn't he re-enter the draft if he's not signed before June 1st? Or would he be included for the new rules for European players.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

Guy is an intriguing player. Hopefully he learn to stay on the line and not act like an idiot. Hope he comes into bingo with a chip on his shoulder after being ditched a few times in the Q and then having the ultimate insult of being kicked off his team

IMHO Cowen is a significantly better fighter than Gryba. He's fought much tougher opponents, more often and had much more success than Gryba has with the gloves off.

Borowiecki is very game, will take on all comers and has a very aggressive style but his lack of balance and defense in fights expose him to the risk of getting smoked by pretty much any opponent he faces. He's had some success against scrappy guys but tends to end up on the losing end against experienced guys. He also had some success this year catching guys by surprise with the flurries of lefts which is an advantage he won't have next season. As boring as it sometimes is, he could really use some grappling lessons from Neil before he gets KO'ed. Neil is one of the best at protecting himself in a fight. It sure is fun to watch him go but you don't want him to end up with concussion issues.

I agree on Dunn. Looks like a bit of a loose cannon but he has potential to be useful if he keeps his head on straight. Hopefully he takes being released as a wake up call and like you suggested comes to camp with a major chip on his shoulder. Does anyone know if he'll be invited to camp?

I also agree on McCarron and Tinordi, they're ok but not intimidating guys like Lucic.

I do think Tinordi is better than McCarron. McCarron hasn't shown much unless he's had massive size advantage on his opponent.

I see a lot of Habs fan excited to see McCarron come up and neutralize Lucic, I think they'll be dissapointed.

Sorry I totally thought the article was about the Sens needing to make cap space to sign some key RFAs. I must have missed the point. Not sure how well Grant can or cannot fight but my money would be on Neil if it came to that.

They probably need to clear about 4-5 million bucks to sign Stone, Zib, Pageau, Hoffman, Chiasson no matter how well Grant can fight.

Don't worry, I agree that given the cap situation and his declining abilities, it might be time for Neil to move on, but saying Grant could replace the fighting part of what Neil brings is just a terrible argument to support it.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

I've posted this before, but I was very impressed by how Dunn looked in the rookie tourney of Sept 2013. I think it was shortly after that the Sens signed him to his ELC? Or maybe it was tail end of that season.

He clearly did not look as good in the games I watched in last years rookie tourney.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Nice goal too.

Still not blown away by these Lindberg goals that are being hilighted.

I mean, I like Lindberg as a prospect, but none of this is translateable at the pro level.

Trying not to be a Debbie Downer here on Lindberg, but I see a guy who still has a lot of work to do, and is far from a sure thing.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

I mean, I like Lindberg as a prospect, but none of this is translateable at the pro level.

Trying not to be a Debbie Downer here on Lindberg, but I see a guy who still has a lot of work to do, and is far from a sure thing.

For a late pick there's lots to be excited about... But lets not bet the farm or anything...

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
For a late pick there's lots to be excited about... But lets not bet the farm or anything...

Oh yeah, for sure. I think he's a great example of getting value with a later pick.

All I'm trying to say is that I'm looking at these "hilight" goals over the past two weeks (this one, the one where he has an entire weekend to score in front of the net), and I don't see them as "pro" goals. Good for the CHL, but not the kind of goals you can expect to score with any regularity once you're out of Major Junior.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Oh yeah, for sure. I think he's a great example of getting value with a later pick.

All I'm trying to say is that I'm looking at these "hilight" goals over the past two weeks (this one, the one where he has an entire weekend to score in front of the net), and I don't see them as "pro" goals. Good for the CHL, but not the kind of goals you can expect to score with any regularity once you're out of Major Junior.

Yeah, it will definitely be interesting to see how he does in the AHL, can he go next year?

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
No ones calling him a saviour or anything. If you look closer people are pencilling him into their third lines. Guy has the tools to be a good NHL player that can play on your third line and substitue into your power play or penalty kill when someone goes down.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

Stone, Hoffman and Lazar also scored goals like this. I think its more that he has a scorers mentality and projects well physically.

Lots of what happens in junior doesnt look transferable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad