Scoreboard watching - or - the pursuit of the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Not really sure how you came up with we were the better team. I've seen this a few times from you. Even if you make the argument, you certainly can't use the term "clearly".

As far as this season goes, it's pretty much a 50/50 chance we'll be playing Washington or the Pens in the first round (as far as making it and who we play). I don't really care who it is to be honest. Having said that I'm kind of bored with the Pens.

The Metro took a step back this season and I'm not really sure there real favorite. I guess you'd go with the Pens for experience. Seems like it's Tampa's year to lose in the East.

I'm not with Mikey on everything he says, but he's spot on in regards to the playoffs and Bob. Some of you guys need to go back and watch some extended highlights of the games. Or just watch the goals he let in. The only thing worse than the goals he let in, was the TIMING of WHEN they were let in. Bob LOST the series for us.

And we came very close to changing "reality" substantially, with Calvert and Dubinsky ringing pucks of the crossbar during very critical times.

"Too Much Pressure" Bob gets 2 games this year, hopefully.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I rarely post here but you are 100% correct. I don't know how anyone makes an argument for Cbus being the better team in their series last year when it was 4-1 and total goals was 21-13.

Watch the games/highlights/goals Bob let in.

Quite simple, really.

Where does the term "Playoff Bob" come from?

Not just the Bob "haters".....

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
This isn't Bob and his merry men. They win as a team and they lose as a team.

Actually, according to the people here (who ironically are DOWNPLAYING the team AGAIN) Bob wins games, while the team loses games.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I Some of you guys need to go back and watch some extended highlights of the games. Or just watch the goals he let in.

Do you have a memory? At all? It's so damn comical around here. I'm not even sure people remember one thing from the threads around here. I'll give you two hints:

1. I get thrashed around here all the time for suggesting Bob isn't goaltender we think he is and that we should do what we can to avoid signing him to a long term deal.
2. The common thread was how much better everyone thought their forwards were and that is what made the series.

I really am bored. I don't think people can read beyond the post that is sitting in front of them and if it fits their agenda.

I'll make this f'ing clear. We didn't outplay the Pens in the playoffs.,

At any rate, all of this is OT. I'm done responding to all this silliness.

Reactions: Cowumbus

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
The scoreboard is what actually matters. Just because we played well enough to win that series doesn't mean we're inherently better.

But because THEY LITERALLY played just "well enough to win", THEY were inherently "better"?

I wonder sometimes just how many of you guys DO wear Pens jerseys when they come to Nationwide....

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
But because THEY LITERALLY played just "well enough to win", THEY were inherently "better"?

I wonder sometimes just how many of you guys DO wear Pens jerseys when they come to Nationwide....
That's a false dichotomy. I don't think we're better. I don't think we're worse. I think we had a competitive team and things just didn't go our way. I suspect the same is true this season as well.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
They were clearly better, not just than us, than everyone. They carried the friggin Cup. Do I think we can beat them this year, I don't know but I always liked the saying to be the best you have to beat the rest. Our Cup goes through Pittsburgh that is the only sure thing I see

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Does Pittsburgh have the defense corps to make a run this year? My good friend who is a Penguins fan -- and their play since the deadline will back this up -- says that they have looked horrible and will get burned in the playoffs.

I have yet to watch them since we played them last. I do know that an incompetent defense can burn a team. Even with their talented forwards... if you can't get the puck out of your zone, what good are you?

I don't care who we play. I just hope the iteration of the CBJ that we have gotten over the last two weeks shows up. Not the one from January.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
You remind me of the knight in Monty Python’s Holy Grail who despite losing all his limbs still thinks he’s right there in the fight

It IS just a flesh wound. At least homeboy was confident to the ACTUAL END.

I'd rather be him than what you people remind me of..

The Knights who till recently said Ni

How many shrubberies do you need?

You people want Ryan Murray and Brandon Dubinsky (and the team) to cut a tree down with a herring!!

IT is unreasonable.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
It IS just a flesh wound. At least homeboy was confident to the ACTUAL END.

I'd rather be him than what you people remind me of..

The Knights who till recently said Ni

How many shrubberies do you need?

You people want Ryan Murray and Brandon Dubinsky (and the team) to cut a tree down with a herring!!

IT is unreasonable.

In rereading my post, I realized I didn't convey my intent very well. The analogy using Monty Python wasn't it in reference to you; rather your interpretation of the series with the Black Knight's limbs symbolic of the scoreboard.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Does Pittsburgh have the defense corps to make a run this year? My good friend who is a Penguins fan -- and their play since the deadline will back this up -- says that they have looked horrible and will get burned in the playoffs.

Of course, the Pens fans whined about how horrible they were last year too....Letang was out for playoffs...Murray was hurt....the Pens had all kinds of injuries during the season...they weren't going to survive both Washington and Columbus...etc. As long as they have Malkin, Crosby and Kessel they aren't getting burned.

Reactions: Bumpus

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
VGK crumbling down the stretch, not surprising. They were the UMBC of Hockey going into the season but are starting to fade just before playoffs.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
rolf, alright.
Literally go look it up because I could have Jesus tell you this and you would go teeheee and post nothing relevant. Every one in a management spot acknowledged that that series score board was insanely deceptive to the actual play of the games. All but 1 game we dominated in the fancy stuff which is all you guys care about on a normal game using that cf% or corsi or rel or whatever the dumb numbers are but in this instance when I say use those numbers people ignore it because they refuse to accept how well we did in the playoffs because it ruins their ability to blame torts or Fligs or attack or system for not being offensive enough. We dominated time in their zone, possession, shot attempts, all of that but 1 game. But no bow down to daddy Crosby so we can always follow that narrative.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
The scoreboard is what actually matters. Just because we played well enough to win that series doesn't mean we're inherently better.
No but it means people can stop pretending last year we were a fluke or undeserving or torts system didn't work. How many times did people say Torts needs to change his system especially against the pens it clearly doesn't work then mock his Adams all while IT WORKED!!! BOB JUST DIDN'T!! Facts should still matter instead of hate with blinders always on.

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
No but it means people can stop pretending last year we were a fluke or undeserving or torts system didn't work. How many times did people say Torts needs to change his system especially against the pens it clearly doesn't work then mock his Adams all while IT WORKED!!! BOB JUST DIDN'T!! Facts should still matter instead of hate with blinders always on.

Last years Blue Jackets don't make the playoffs without Bob and his VEZINA.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Last years Blue Jackets don't make the playoffs without Bob and his VEZINA.
Agreed. 100%. Imo he deserved the Hart too he was the definition of MVP. Without him the CBJ are a different team. The award should go to the player who is the most valuable to his team and without him your team would be bad. Doesn't change the fact we were the better team and only lost the series because Bob. When you dominate the series in every facet except GA then you can only blame Bob.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
They were clearly better, not just than us, than everyone. They carried the friggin Cup. Do I think we can beat them this year, I don't know but I always liked the saying to be the best you have to beat the rest. Our Cup goes through Pittsburgh that is the only sure thing I see

That they went on to win the Cup doesn't mean that the stats Mikey is talking about aren't relevant. It could just as well mean that if Bob had played better and the Jackets get past the Pens in the first round, that the Jackets could have gone on to win the Cup.

It's funny how these boards are full of posts dissecting many angles and minutia of the game, but the round one loss to the Pens it's back to being zero-sum. Mikey can speak hyperbolically, but I don't think the series record reflects the quality of the two teams quite as succinctly as it's being presented here by his critics.

Reactions: thebus88

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Florida is hosting the Oilers right now, they have to expect to win that one

Devils are at the Kings at 4pm. They've won their first two west coast games, and the game is equally huge for the Kings

Flyers are in Carolina

Could be a very good day of scoreboard watching or a very bad one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad