Scoreboard watching - or - the pursuit of the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumbus

Nov 25, 2016
I must admit that I all very shocked at the Detroit attendance. That is pitiful with the new arena.

CBJ fan in Detroit here. Been to a couple games so far this year. Detroit is somewhat surprisingly 3rd in average attendance this year (2017-2018 NHL Attendance - National Hockey League - ESPN). The main driver for the appearance of empty stands is that a huge chunk of fans are watching the game not from their seats, but rather from the large number of restaurants and bars and other concourses throughout the arena.

I was at the 9 (?) round shootout win last November where JJ got the game winner. The stands were ~50% full for most of the game, then suddenly close to full capacity when OT started. Thousands of fans appeared out of nowhere. Everyone had left the bars/restaurants and finally returned to their seats to watch the OT/SO.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
"Hockeytown" too. Few U.S. cities will fill seats with crappy teams. There's can be other reasons of ticket pricing and arena location, but on ice performance still matters most.

red_wings_empty_seats.png
That's what so impressive about the Columbus market. No city has had as demoralizing of a team over the years as we've had, but we've always been able to fill the arena at least 3/4's.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
CBJ fan in Detroit here. Been to a couple games so far this year. Detroit is somewhat surprisingly 3rd in average attendance this year (2017-2018 NHL Attendance - National Hockey League - ESPN). The main driver for the appearance of empty stands is that a huge chunk of fans are watching the game not from their seats, but rather from the large number of restaurants and bars and other concourses throughout the arena.

I was at the 9 (?) round shootout win last November where JJ got the game winner. The stands were ~50% full for most of the game, then suddenly close to full capacity when OT started. Thousands of fans appeared out of nowhere. Everyone had left the bars/restaurants and finally returned to their seats to watch the OT/SO.

Thanks for explanation...always looks empty. Glad Wings fans are enjoying their nice shiny new arena. Sounds cool to have bars to hangout and still see the ice.

Reactions: Lumbus

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Thanks for the explanation. I had just figured there was a huge percentage of corporate no-shows. I understood that there are other areas from which people could watch the game at the new arena but I was unaware of the magnitude of those places. I thought the Joe was a great arena and was sorry to see it go.

Reactions: Lumbus

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I'm praying for a pitt 1st round series. Pens fans need a reality check it's rediculous. Reading over their thread about the playoffs apparently Guenzal and Brassard would be on our first line, our D is average because JJ/Cole will be an anchor that pulls us down, Murray is 100x the goalie Bob is, we are the weakest team in the east that's going to make it, and our 13-1-1 record over the streak is not impressive because have you even seen who we have beat?

They also said we had to split up Jones and Z because they tore them apart... not because Z nearly lost an eye. I've never seen a group of fans talk so much shit without even knowing what lines we have. They think JJ has been playing 3D for f*** sakes. I am pretty sure they don't know who Nuti is.

And all but 2 fans (who have said they looked in here and seen us say we want them) have said we are afraid of them and want absolutely no piece of them with a big chunk claiming sweep.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
So I’m going to be home next weekend. My understanding is that some rather notable games might be starting then. I’d be much obliged if we could score home ice because I’d love to find a way to get to a game. It’s my (sadly misguided Penguins fan) best friend’s birthday and what a helluva trip that would make. I’d love to meet up with some of y’all if possible. Put some faces to the screen names I’ve been talking to for 10 years.

I know all the stars are going to have to align here but this is my dream.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm praying for a pitt 1st round series. Pens fans need a reality check it's rediculous. Reading over their thread about the playoffs apparently Guenzal and Brassard would be on our first line, our D is average because JJ/Cole will be an anchor that pulls us down, Murray is 100x the goalie Bob is, we are the weakest team in the east that's going to make it, and our 13-1-1 record over the streak is not impressive because have you even seen who we have beat?

They also said we had to split up Jones and Z because they tore them apart... not because Z nearly lost an eye. I've never seen a group of fans talk so much **** without even knowing what lines we have. They think JJ has been playing 3D for **** sakes. I am pretty sure they don't know who Nuti is.

And all but 2 fans (who have said they looked in here and seen us say we want them) have said we are afraid of them and want absolutely no piece of them with a big chunk claiming sweep.
Went and took a look myself, and I get the impression that the folks you're talking about are decidedly in the minority - indeed, the overwhelming majority of what you're pointing out here came from posts by one poster, and much of that from a single post. Most of the posts I'm seeing suggest that they think we'd be a tough, if winnable matchup. And I didn't see the word "sweep" once.

Reactions: BobVEZINAsky 110

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Went and took a look myself, and I get the impression that the folks you're talking about are decidedly in the minority - indeed, the overwhelming majority of what you're pointing out here came from posts by one poster, and much of that from a single post. Most of the posts I'm seeing suggest that they think we'd be a tough, if winnable matchup. And I didn't see the word "sweep" once.
I saw people saying stuff like is Cole's inside information going to continue being huge when they are down 3-0 and similar comments to that. What thread.were you in and how far.nack did you look. I was in a couple and went back.and read.everything with our.name. I couldn't stop hate reading haha. To be fair.i.didnt look for user.names could have.been the same poster over and over making it look like a few people.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I saw people saying stuff like is Cole's inside information going to continue being huge when they are down 3-0 and similar comments to that. What thread.were you in and how far.nack did you look. I was in a couple and went back.and read.everything with our.name. I couldn't stop hate reading haha. To be fair.i.didnt look for user.names could have.been the same poster over and over making it look like a few people.
The "who is our opponent going to be" thread, and yes, it was the same poster saying things like that over and over.

Reactions: mikeyp24

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
So I got the email from Ticketmaster about playoffs tickets, so I was like well maybe I'll go to a game. Logged in just to see what the prices were. Highlighted club level and laughed (238 I think). Highlighted the "ghetto" portion of the lower bowl and laughed. Nose bleeds were 80 a pop. Closed brower.

I'm assuming the season ticket holder prices are a bit better. I'll just enjoy the game(s) from home. Kind of a shame as this will be the first time I miss our first home game of a playoff series. Not that there was a long history to go by, :laugh:

Represent us well Columbus.

Reactions: Inglewood JMFJ

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
So I got the email from Ticketmaster about playoffs tickets, so I was like well maybe I'll go to a game. Logged in just to see what the prices were. Highlighted club level and laughed (238 I think). Highlighted the "ghetto" portion of the lower bowl and laughed. Nose bleeds were 80 a pop. Closed brower.

I'm assuming the season ticket holder prices are a bit better. I'll just enjoy the game(s) from home. Kind of a shame as this will be the first time I miss our first home game of a playoff series. Not that there was a long history to go by, :laugh:

Represent us well Columbus.
I think ours (223 row E) we're like 160 for all 3 seats for one game. I'm not positive that's how much it was, but I remember being shocked because I thought it was per seat lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad