Scoreboard watching - or - the pursuit of the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
CBJ ushers aren’t exactly friendly on allowing fans to move around. Some aren’t as overzealous as others, but most keep an eye on people trying to move down.

We even tried to move up once and got told to go back down to our seats. We were in Row E of 116 and those are probably the worse seats in the arena due to looking through top of glass at an angle. Moved up to a few rows to top of 117 because it was completely empty and usher left his post to come to us and tell us to go back to our ticketed seats.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Obviously speaking for a different level of hockey here...

We were able to get cheap seats for a WHL game last week. Wound up sitting six rows back from the glass. About 3500 fans in our almost 12000 seat arena... nobody cared.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I used to have my season ticket rep on speed dial for moving around the arena. Of course once I had ticket in the club level, I never bothered to move around. Ahh the good old days, maybe I'll get a partial again someday. The days of full season tickets are over I think.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'm at BT&T in sunrise. Maybe 10 minutes before the puck drops and the arena is at most 20% full. Got here before the gates open and couldn't find a scalper from my life. I'm gonna miss this team when it moves.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'm at BT&T in sunrise. Maybe 10 minutes before the puck drops and the arena is at most 20% full. Got here before the gates open and couldn't find a scalper from my life. I'm gonna miss this team when it moves.

They could probably have a fighting chance there if they played in Miami. Sunrise is the equivalent of Marysville in comparison to Miami.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
They could probably have a fighting chance there if they played in Miami. Sunrise is the equivalent of Marysville in comparison to Miami.
I don't know. I don't think the demographics of the area are good for hockey. But it is true about the location. It's right up against the swamp

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
This is wild. The idea of one loss feels like the season would be over for the Jackets.
Of course, for the Panthers that's true.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Although not technically eliminated yet, the Panthers are done.
As for the arena, I remember when we were driving from Tampa to Sunrise and we saw a building that looked like an arena in the distance. My wife was saying that it was the arena. I said no way because we were in the middle of the Everglades. For once in her life :) she was right. The arena is between the Everglades and a mall. There are a million better places for this franchise to be located and they probably will move there at done point.
Same goes for our local Hurricanes. The attendance is so low that I don't see how they can survive. Bottom line is that except for Tampa and Nashville the NHL does not work in the southeast.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
As for the arena, I remember when we were driving from Tampa to Sunrise and we saw a building that looked like an arena in the distance. My wife was saying that it was the arena. I said no way because we were in the middle of the Everglades. For once in her life :) she was right. The arena is between the Everglades and a mall. There are a million better places for this franchise to be located and they probably will move there at done point.
Same goes for our local Hurricanes. The attendance is so low that I don't see how they can survive. Bottom line is that except for Tampa and Nashville the NHL does not work in the southeast.
"Except for" the two most successful teams on the ice in the area. I also remember when Columbus and Nashville were supposedly just-can't-possibly-work-out markets as well. And if bad attendance during hard times is enough to disqualify a franchise, well, then, Pittsburgh and Chicago and St. Louis can all go as well.

Daisy Ridley

Feb 28, 2018
Reminds me of the Coyotes in terms of arena location :mad:

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
"Except for" the two most successful teams on the ice in the area. I also remember when Columbus and Nashville were supposedly just-can't-possibly-work-out markets as well. And if bad attendance during hard times is enough to disqualify a franchise, well, then, Pittsburgh and Chicago and St. Louis can all go as well.

I wouldn't consider FL as having hard time right now. They have been in playoffs contention for quite some time and made a great run at it.
Carolina is just too small of a market with nobody interested in hockey.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio

"Hockeytown" too. Few U.S. cities will fill seats with crappy teams. There's can be other reasons of ticket pricing and arena location, but on ice performance still matters most.

red_wings_empty_seats.png

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
I wouldn't consider FL as having hard time right now. They have been in playoffs contention for quite some time and made a great run at it.

Florida has been a very late surge and I don't think taken seriously by most of making playoffs. They were below all of the Metropolitan teams until late February with only around a 20% chance of making the playoffs beginning in March. They just peaked at 65% a week or so ago and falling fast. I'm not even sure they've gotten into the top 8 of conference during this surge, just always a few points out with the promise of "games in hand". If Florida had been running with Tampa/Boston/Leafs all year, their fans would deserve more bashing.

Florida Panthers Playoff Chances - Sports Club Stats

Reactions: CPTN71

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Not necessarily. I think they could still end up tied in points, ROW and H2H, which would mean goal differential would determine. But Jackets do not clinch just because Philly loses.

Actually I think they Jacket are in then, assuming their loss isn't in OT (didn't pick up a point and max is 96).

1. If two or more clubs are tied in points during the regular season, the standing of the clubs is determined in the following order: The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).The greater number of games won, excluding games won in the Shootout. This figure is reflected in the ROW column. The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing. The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season. NOTE: In standings a victory in a shootout counts as one goal for, while a shootout loss counts as one goal against.

At that point you have 3 teams at 96 and it looks like the Jacket would have the most points between the tied clubs. Florida would get in because the would have the largest RoW and we we get in on both number of points in game between the teams or by goal differential. I think the first would kick in assuming that they didn't go down to the two team rules after Florida gets their invitation. Basically we got all the points against Florida (Florida got a point), we were tied in points with Phi, and for the sake of tiebreakers Phi/Florida both got two points.

I could be overlooking something, but that looks right.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Actually I think they Jacket are in then, assuming their loss isn't in OT (didn't pick up a point and max is 96).

1. If two or more clubs are tied in points during the regular season, the standing of the clubs is determined in the following order: The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).The greater number of games won, excluding games won in the Shootout. This figure is reflected in the ROW column. The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing. The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season. NOTE: In standings a victory in a shootout counts as one goal for, while a shootout loss counts as one goal against.

At that point you have 3 teams at 96 and it looks like the Jacket would have the most points between the tied clubs. Florida would get in because the would have the largest RoW and we we get in on both number of points in game between the teams or by goal differential. I think the first would kick in assuming that they didn't go down to the two team rules after Florida gets their invitation. Basically we got all the points against Florida (Florida got a point), we were tied in points with Phi, and for the sake of tiebreakers Phi/Florida both got two points.

Lone Star gif.gif

Lumbus

Nov 25, 2016

Really puts the “magic” in magic number. Thank you for the breakdown sir

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad