Scoreboard watching - or - the pursuit of the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I'm happy for our team to take all comers. Having said that I can see how people are kind of tired of the Pens.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
So I got the email from Ticketmaster about playoffs tickets, so I was like well maybe I'll go to a game. Logged in just to see what the prices were. Highlighted club level and laughed (238 I think). Highlighted the "ghetto" portion of the lower bowl and laughed. Nose bleeds were 80 a pop. Closed brower.

I'm assuming the season ticket holder prices are a bit better. I'll just enjoy the game(s) from home. Kind of a shame as this will be the first time I miss our first home game of a playoff series. Not that there was a long history to go by, :laugh:

Represent us well Columbus.
I got the tickets for my quarter season plan cheaper but I paid those same prices with no discount for any additional tickets I bought for other games. Upper bowl is 80, lower was 140. I think club was 150. This was before the TM fees.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm anybody but Tampa group. I don't think we can beat Pittsburgh or Washington in a 7 game series, but I know we can't beat Tampa. I'd rather have a chance. I think our best bet is in Washington, but part of me wants the challenge against Pittsburgh.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Tomorrow night in Smashville is a must lose (feels weird saying this)

Be careful what you wish for. Depending on what Philly & the Devils do we really want to play Tampa Bay or Boston?

Tampa Bay's D has been terrible lately but they win 7-5, 6-5. Boston is a tough matchup.

I guess my preferences are :

Washington
Pittsburgh
Tampa Bay
Boston

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJWennberg10

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Be careful what you wish for. Depending on what Philly & the Devils do we really want to play Tampa Bay or Boston?

Tampa Bay's D has been terrible lately but they win 7-5, 6-5. Boston is a tough matchup.

Washington
Pittsburgh
Tampa Bay
Boston

We need Philly to lose and the Jackets to either lose or win in a s/o while NJ gets a ROW. I think that is the only way we get Washington. There may be others but coffee hasn't completely kicked in so I'm not looking further.

We’ll get Washington if we lose in regulation or OT, Philly loses in regulation or OT, and a NJD win of any kind.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I want WC1. If Philly wins, Jersey wins and we lose in reg we are WC2. It's a good thing that Philly game is early, if they lose don't bother. But still 1 point is more secure than no points.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I say bring on the Caps. They have a bigger monkey on their back in the playoffs than Bob does and Holtby is not having a good year that could start turning into a goaltending controversy if struggles with how Grubauer has played.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I don't really care. On the one hand, it would be refreshing to play a team other than the Pens. But I don't think the Pens would be bad, and something in the numbers makes me feel like Jackets could come out of that series on top.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I got the tickets for my quarter season plan cheaper but I paid those same prices with no discount for any additional tickets I bought for other games. Upper bowl is 80, lower was 140. I think club was 150. This was before the TM fees.

Pretty brutal... I love hockey, but I have no interest paying those prices even if it was the finals.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio

Washington
Pittsburgh
Tampa Bay
Boston

Interesting. I'd figure Boston would be the preference for most:
  • CBJ regular season record was 2-1 vs BOS including the recent win in Boston starting Korpisalo and injured Seth and Josh
  • CBJ were 1-6-4 vs. the other potential 1st round matchups (Caps/Pens/Lightning)
  • BOS limping in with only 4 wins in last 10 and three losses in a row including to Panthers and Flyers
  • Rick Nash vs. Columbus intrigue
  • Possibly less rest for their key players: If TB loses today and Boston wins, Bruins can get 1st overall in East Conference with win tomorrow, so their players are still going today and potentially tomorrow when other teams are resting their top players. Especially a big deal because the Bruins are already banged up.
  • Physical style of play - Both teams play physical, and would be fun to watch them go at each other.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
  • CBJ regular season record was 2-1 vs BOS including the recent win in Boston starting Korpisalo and injured Seth and Josh
  • CBJ were 1-6-4 vs. the other potential 1st round matchups (Caps/Pens/Lightning)
  • BOS limping in with only 4 wins in last 10 and three losses in a row including to Panthers and Flyers
  • Possibly less rest for their key players: If TB loses today and Boston wins, Bruins can get 1st overall in East Conference with win tomorrow, so their players are still going today and potentially tomorrow when other teams are resting their top players. Especially a big deal because the Bruins are already banged up.
  • Physical style of play - Both teams play physical, and would be fun to watch them go at each other.

Mainly for me, I’d prefer not to have to stare at Marchand’s toucan nose for a 7 game series

And don’t forget their lovely fans here on HF

Reactions: Sore Loser

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I was at the Boston Panthers game. Boston outplayed them and probably deserve to win. The last Boston jackets game may have been Won by the jackets but the Bruins outplayed Columbus by a substantial margin. I think the jackets would win one game at a seven game series against Boston.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
I was at the Boston Panthers game. Boston outplayed them and probably deserve to win. The last Boston jackets game may have been Won by the jackets but the Bruins outplayed Columbus by a substantial margin. I think the jackets would win one game at a seven game series against Boston.

Another good point....Boston seems to have trouble finishing games. Probably because they have the least amount of playoff experience between the four teams. I think people are over rating them in thinking they'll win any series in 5 games.

Mainly for me, I’d prefer not to have to stare at Marchand’s toucan nose for a 7 game series

And don’t forget their lovely fans here on HF

You'll have to deal with DBs on at least the Caps (Wilson) and Pens (Hornqvist) too. But Marchand seems like a hot head...I bet CBJ could get him off his game. Only negative is league will let him put someone in the hospital before they suspend him.

Easier to deal with their fans on HF than Pens fans in NWA.

In reality, I don't think Boston will pass Tampa because Tampa should beat Carolina today. I expect CBJ & NJD take losses. Flyers win because they are feeling heat from FLA and need to guarantee their spot, then it's WAS/CBJ, PENS/FLYERS, TB/NJD, BOS/TOR.

Reactions: DJAnimosity

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
One thing to note...

The Flyers need a win to get in. Or at least, a point. They are desperate and hungry, and are playing an AHL team at home today. If they win, there is likely zero chance we play Shittsburgh in the first round. They will pass us and I see no way for us to win tonight.

We need to cheer hard for the Caps tonight. Big time. If NJ loses in this scenario, we get our most favorable first round matchup, against a team who has never had playoff success, with a goalie who has had playoff struggles.

That's why I think it would be our best draw.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Of all of the potential first-round opponents, Washington will certainly have the most pressure on them. I still can't believe they hired Humpty Dumpty to be their coach after all the trouble he had Nashville in the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad