Post-Game Talk: Avs 6 - Jets 2, Avs lead series 2 -1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
It does feel a bit unfair to finish 4th in the entire league and have these guys as your first round opponents. When complaining about a first-round exit, just keep in mind how different things would have been if the Jets had been playing the Kings like the Oilers got to, or the equivalent of the Wild team that the Jets played in 2018.
I don't know if this is quite the same as the 80s Jets consistently running into an all-time dynasty. With the way things have looked so far, I'm not sure that the Jets could have handled any Western Conference team in the first round other than the Kings.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
It's also up to the coach to use pieces appropriately. Perfetti was a bigger reason for our success this year then those two and brings way more to the table then Toffoli and is forgotten by the coach.
It's time for Koal to get back into the lineup, maybe Barron is good to go to, you can't keep running out the same lineup when it's not working

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Perfetti - 19 goals :popcorn:

yet we play the Gusbus over him.

I have not been the biggest fan of Perfetti's play at times this season, and I even predicted that he wouldn't play towards the end of the season / playoffs if the Jets had enough healthy bodies, but that was more based on who is coaching this team and not just his play...

But at this point, not putting a healthy 19 goal scorer in the lineup, and instead playing a career AHLer.... that's just coaching insanity.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
What's done is done. Bitching about it won't change anything, but I understand the frustration

The next game is it. Win, and we have momentum heading back home. Lose and it's over

Regardless of the outcome of this series, I'm thankful for the great regular season we had... from helle and shief re-signing to the 111 points this team put up. When you look at our roster vs other top teams, it becomes pretty apparent that we may have punched above our weight for much of the year

There is more to cheering for a sports team than winning championships and expecting to win/dominate every game. As is with life, it's impossible to truly appreciate the highs without experiencing the lows

I realize that not everyone will agree with my outlook, and that's cool. I'm trying to be more tolerant of the negativity and doom and gloom posts

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
If Perfetti continues to sit he may ask for a trade rather than sign with this team.

Dillon has probably played his last game as a Jet. Hope his hand is not as bad as it looked. Team will miss him.

3 other UFA's might be playing their last 2(?) games as well.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
There is more to cheering for a sports team than winning championships and expecting to win/dominate every game.
That's more or less by necessity... at 32 teams and growing, the number of NHL fans who will never get to witness their team winning a Cup in their lifetimes is only going to grow. There is an entire generation in Southern Ontario, Western New York and Lower Mainland BC approaching its senior years that has never seen their team win it all.

But even if you adjust your expectations, well, we're 13 years into Jets 2.0 and only one season has ended without disappointment. Maybe two if you count the season where we exorcised the ghosts of Jets 1.0 by sweeping Edmonton before getting swept ourselves. But that's it.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Looks like Dillon has probably played his last game as a Jet, at 33 he will looking at his last contract someone will overpay for him as a UFA wont be the Jets though
if it is, i loved dillon's game here. brought the size & physicality but still real good defensively & showed some offense this year. he was tasked with the most chaotic partner in the league in their own zone.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I do wonder… does Bowness just not make adjustments and hopes his team out wills the other? I haven’t seen much of any changes..

Reactions: JetsUK and Hobble

Ponds

ꮯꭺꭲꭺꮯꮮꭹꮪꮇ!
Nov 2, 2023
Anacita
What's done is done. Bitching about it won't change anything, but I understand the frustration

The next game is it. Win, and we have momentum heading back home. Lose and it's over

Regardless of the outcome of this series, I'm thankful for the great regular season we had... from helle and shief re-signing to the 111 points this team put up. When you look at our roster vs other top teams, it becomes pretty apparent that we may have punched above our weight for much of the year

There is more to cheering for a sports team than winning championships and expecting to win/dominate every game. As is with life, it's impossible to truly appreciate the highs without experiencing the lows

I realize that not everyone will agree with my outlook, and that's cool. I'm trying to be more tolerant of the negativity and doom and gloom posts
Great post, I agree. It made me think of this short documentary I watched recently, about Leeds United. You'd probably enjoy it, it's largely relevant to the bolded part of your post. I'd recommend that anyone here who has 20 minutes to spare check it out, actually. Their situation is different considering the way football leagues are structured compared to the NHL, and the culture around supporting a football club compared to an NHL team. But it's an inspiring look at going from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows, and embracing the journey throughout it all. Might help alter one's perspective.

Reactions: kanadalainen

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I do wonder… does Bowness just not make adjustments and hopes his team out wills the other? I haven’t seen much of any changes..

I think it's partly that. He's a systems coach, he was brought here to be a systems coach.

What's most concerning for me thus far, and it's been a theme, is that the team apart from maybe Lowry doesn't seem to think that the playoffs are a different style of game. They keep playing the regular season stuff that works in December or January but not in April or May.

Also, they're extremely easy to wind up. The Appleton penalty was questionable maybe but they just let that get in their heads and collapsed. Not an easy offseason fix.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
if it is, i loved dillon's game here. brought the size & physicality but still real good defensively & showed some offense this year. he was tasked with the most chaotic partner in the league in their own zone.
Yup that dude grew on me as a player a ditch digger that you need on d, team guy. Try to get rid of Schmidt and Pionk and it might be easier to get him back here but I think he is gone. To bad he said he was having a blast playing here.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I highly suspect Dillion is done for the year after seeing that cut and the size of it, I would be shocked if he played anymore games this year. Even if we won this series, I don't think he would be able to play anymore.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
If Perfetti continues to sit he may ask for a trade rather than sign with this team.

Dillon has probably played his last game as a Jet. Hope his hand is not as bad as it looked. Team will miss him.

3 other UFA's might be playing their last 2(?) games as well.
You're likely going to be shat on for this take, but it's hard to disagree. The list of the top 12 players allowing the most xG against has six Jets on it, including the entire first line. What's Perfetti eating popcorn for?

And as many knowledgeable hockey fans have already pointed out, Pionk.

Neal Pionk.

I recall us spending assets on Miller at the deadline. Would be an awful shame to see him play instead of the absolute worst defenseman of the playoffs thus far.

Last edited:
Reactions: ello and Bigfish

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
To me those two late goals for the Avalanche in game 1 set the tone for the whole series. They turned what should have been a demoralizing loss for them into something that looked more like a fluke for the Jets. The whole thing is feeling like watching the Jets-Oilers in the 1980s when they’d always be losing 6-4 and 7-5. There is a lot to like about our team but the other side is undeniably just better.

It does feel a bit unfair to finish 4th in the entire league and have these guys as your first round opponents. When complaining about a first-round exit, just keep in mind how different things would have been if the Jets had been playing the Kings like the Oilers got to, or the equivalent of the Wild team that the Jets played in 2018.

On the other hand, they’re only 2-1 down!

The Wild in 2018 had 101 points. The Jets that year were just that good.

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
It's comical hearing people actually blame the refs... Vilardi DID high stick someone and that dude was bleeding heavily. What do you think they should do there? Pionk DID clear the puck over the glass... It's a no brainer. The Jets choked.

Helle has been beat five hope from range in the last two games... Normally routine adjustments to make a controlled save are the norm for him but I'm seeing a lot of flopping, diving, double pad stacks... Things we never seen from him and it's now over 5 gaa. This is simply not elite goaltending at all, it's clear he's lacking the mental strength to withstand his play during the playoffs. This is pretty glaring scar on Hellebuyck, great regular season goalie. Terrible playoff goalie.

The Parise goal was just strange. Massive rebound right into the slot. And a terrified flop reaction from Helle... Normally we see him on his knees a minor adjustment and he's got the bottom and top of the net covered. Parise shoots it right at Helle, in all reality staying still and holding his ground gets him a save.

The nichushkin goal you see Helle look that direction where nichushkin has the puck on his stick. Helles head moves away from the post he needs to get to and attempts a double pack stack... Has he practiced that before? It looks like the first time he's attempted it based of the fish out of water result he got.

How about this... Play your game. If you get beat playing YOUR style then so be it. Attempting to be Hasek isn't the answer.

Some other glaring issues here... Iafallo looks extremely tired. Sit him for Kupari who has the wheels to skate with the Avs. Kupari is another guy you can match against Mack with his speed and defensive approach to the game. There is no need to play Iafallo when he's not able to keep up with the play at all

Next game bring in Miller, and Stan. Have Samberg sit, his hot and ready Pizzas are a killer.

We need our forwards to work 50% harder. Absolutely everyone needs to work harder to make this work.

And for god sakes Helle... Relax.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Toff's goal was pure fluke. One lucky play doesn't change game performance from putrid to good. Nino needs to show up on the game sheet at some point any way he can. At least Apples looks like he is trying.
AHL Apples always looks like he's doing something while accomplishing nothing, every play dies on his stick......really why is he in the NHL, Jets let better players go.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
I think it's partly that. He's a systems coach, he was brought here to be a systems coach.

What's most concerning for me thus far, and it's been a theme, is that the team apart from maybe Lowry doesn't seem to think that the playoffs are a different style of game. They keep playing the regular season stuff that works in December or January but not in April or May.

Also, they're extremely easy to wind up. The Appleton penalty was questionable maybe but they just let that get in their heads and collapsed. Not an easy offseason fix.
There are many reasons as to why the Jets are down 1-2 in this series and many posters have stated them and I would be just repeating them. I strongly agree with your statement that the playoffs are a different style of game. The Avs' forecheck has been the most intense that I've seen from a Jets' opponent this season. Sure, in the regular season a team or two will notch up the forecheck intensity sporadically but they usually don't sustain it game after game for obvious reasons. But, as you've stated, the playoffs are different. The Jets D isn't used to that pressure and it showed. Morrissey is great and he's playing relatively well but even he was having some issues with the pressure last night. Can they (players and coaches) adjust? Three games in and they haven't so I am really concerned. However, in spite of those concerns and a few negative posts that I've thrown out there over the season, I'll be putting the yardwork on hold tomorrow afternoon and will be cheering on my team. Go Jets Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad