Injury Report: Schmaltz won't be on Leafs/Habs road trip (upper body injury)

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I'm obviously happy to have Schamltz back ASAP, but I'm a little uneasy about how many people (not just here, twitter et al as well) seem to be building expectation that his return is going to magically light-switch this team back to the team we saw in the first two games, performance wise.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I'm obviously happy to have Schamltz back ASAP, but I'm a little uneasy about how many people (not just here, twitter et al as well) seem to be building expectation that his return is going to magically light-switch this team back to the team we saw in the first two games, performance wise.
It should help Kane and Hartman which will be a major help. Then the 1st line can see better match ups ... and Anisimov can center Cat and Sharp which gives more fluidity. Kero belongs on the 4th line and no higher. Schmaltz will force Q to be more stable with his lines.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
It should help Kane and Hartman which will be a major help. Then the 1st line can see better match ups ... and Anisimov can center Cat and Sharp which gives more fluidity. Kero belongs on the 4th line and no higher. Schmaltz will force Q to be more stable with his lines.

Oh he'll obviously help, no question. The domino effects of losing him hurt all 3 lines from 2-through-4. I'm just not sure the problems we're seeing the last several games are all fixable on the forwards corps.

Rooh

GENERATIONAL TANK COMMANDER
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2017
Oh he'll obviously help, no question. The domino effects of losing him hurt all 3 lines from 2-through-4. I'm just not sure the problems we're seeing the last several games are all fixable on the forwards corps.
Good thing we have Corey Crawford.

Reactions: JaegerDice

zac

Apr 29, 2009
I'd feel alot better if Q said Schmaltz is going Wednesday, rather than he's "optimistic". He's been optimistic since game 3.

Why would anyone cite Q on an injury? He downplays EVERYTHING and his words are rarely accurate.

Until Schmaltz is announced to be back I'm assuming he isn't.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
All coaches do it.

Q is one of the biggest offenders.

Quite frankly injury disclosures in sports are a joke. If you aren't going to make teams disclose the nature of the injury, why make them have a generic disclosure at all? Can you be any more vague than an upper body injury or a lower body injury. If it's to "protect the player's health" then don't disclose it at all. If it's not then, then what's the point of a vague policy?

Of all the coaches I've heard Q is the worst. I mean, there is absolutely no point in not being honest about the expected duration. He goes in front of the camera, says it's nothing serious, then the guys misses several weeks. After a while it's apparent he's lying out of his ass and by the time the player returns its obvious that it was at least semi-serious.

Not point to these shenanigans whatsover.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Hope he can come back for the next 2 games. I really miss him on that Kane line. Kero shouldn't be that high on any line, Anisimov with Hartman doesn't seem to work in a offensive line and ideally we can pick up ´Center depth during the Season.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Like what? That he's full of **** 99% of the time?
Special = the highest of praise. Best guy on the ice some nights
Good = usually very good to good
I didn't mind him = actually pretty good. Average to above average.
Fine = below average. Not fine at all.
OK = bad.
He should be OK = he's fine or he'll miss a few games.
We'll see = guys going on ltir at some point.

If a fringe guy was "ok", he's sitting the next night.

If a regular player had a bad game, they had "tough nights". They're never fine or OK.

Just my experience.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Special = the highest of praise. Best guy on the ice some nights
Good = usually very good to good
I didn't mind him = actually pretty good. Average to above average.
Fine = below average. Not fine at all.
OK = bad.
He should be OK = he's fine or he'll miss a few games.
We'll see = guys going on ltir at some point.

If a fringe guy was "ok", he's sitting the next night.

If a regular player had a bad game, they had "tough nights". They're never fine or OK.

Just my experience.
Bill Belichick used to report half his roster as questionable. One year, Tom Brady was on the injury report the entire year and never missed a game. Injury reports are for the gamblers. For that reason, I'm surprised the NHL hasn't formalized how teams report injuries.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I sure hope Schmaltz is aware that he is now going to garner more attention from opposing teams and don't doubt for a moment that they didn't notice games 1 and 2 with Schmaltz and games 3 - 6 without and that he can be handled with some physicality. He will need to learn some lessons from Kaner on how to keep his head up and avoid the big hits.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I sure hope Schmaltz is aware that he is now going to garner more attention from opposing teams and don't doubt for a moment that they didn't notice games 1 and 2 with Schmaltz and games 3 - 6 without and that he can be handled with some physicality. He will need to learn some lessons from Kaner on how to keep his head up and avoid the big hits.
If his last hit didn't teach him to keep his head up, I don't think Kane will help. Schmaltz needs to avoid big hits ... but if opponents are keeping an eye on him, they will leave Kane open which would be dumber than dumb. And if opponents put their shut down line against Schmaltz, the Toews' line will destroy. We really need our 1st and 2nd line healthy. They dramatically impact the game with their matchup possibilities.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
If his last hit didn't teach him to keep his head up, I don't think Kane will help. Schmaltz needs to avoid big hits ... but if opponents are keeping an eye on him, they will leave Kane open which would be dumber than dumb. And if opponents put their shut down line against Schmaltz, the Toews' line will destroy. We really need our 1st and 2nd line healthy. They dramatically impact the game with their matchup possibilities.

Is it his improved skating itself or his aggressiveness? I do remember thinking a number of times, man, he's really playing a lot more in the middle of the ice, and by that I mean the slot. Maybe his stick handling hasn't quite caught up with his newfound speed so he's looking down more? IDK

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Well put. But for the Hawks to have two dangerous lines they need all six healthy.
I don't tend to worry about Toews, Panik and Saad nor about Hartman or even Kane but Schmaltz ... I do worry. So please Schmaltzy keep your head up!!

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Well put. But for the Hawks to have two dangerous lines they need all six healthy.
I don't tend to worry about Toews, Panik and Saad nor about Hartman or even Kane but Schmaltz ... I do worry. So please Schmaltzy keep your head up!!
OT ....but I am more concerned about Cat in that regard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad