Injury Report: Schmaltz won't be on Leafs/Habs road trip (upper body injury)

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I'd like to see Kampf get a shot if it's very short term. Thought he should have had a good chance to make the squad.

I don't give out likes to just anyone... you earned that. :laugh:
What is this "likes" feature? Is it like bitcoins? Is it like tickets at a carnival where we can exchange them for a prize at the end of the year? My job has too many decisions already. This "likes" button further complicates it. What if I give Fiddy a "like?" Do I get labeled an anarchist and arrested by the thought police? I'm so confused.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
My view on the "likes" feature is that it makes life easier - rather than answering a post you agree with, you simply click on like. Nothing more, nothing less.
So we're not "required" to give them? So we won't be labeled as a "scrooge" if we don't play that game. I always think a response is the biggest validation of them all. I took time to reply rather than a click.

How useless is this post? I'm debating about "likes" on an anonymous message board amongst gasbags. It's not like a lack of "likes" is going to stop us from talking. :)

Reactions: Aestivalis

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Bring up Hino, let's keep this speed thing going. He had a great preseason, deserves the call up.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Bring up Hino, let's keep this speed thing going. He had a great preseason, deserves the call up.
Just move Hayden up to the 3rd line. The kid is skilled. Sharp's speed on the 2nd line can match Kane if need be with Hartman taking face offs. With Kane, you don't really need an offensive center.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Hino should be the first wing call up but I don't want him playing center. I actually doubt anyone gets called up and Kero just slides to 3c for a couple games.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Well, at least he didn't injure the knee he almost injured against the Pens. Schmaltz is a difference maker mostly because of his speed - knee injuries to speed players is very bad.

Upper body? Watching the replay a bunch of times it looks like Johnson's shoulder may have connected with Schmaltz' jaw and then the way Schmaltz reacted when he was down looks like head injury too. He was kneeling on all fours - if it was a shoulder or collar bone he wouldn't have been putting weight on his arms like that. Definitely seems head/concussion. Q said he wasn't going on the road trip but maybe he'd be ready to play by Thursday. I think that's Q being optimistic. If it's a concussion, there's no way to predict when he will be ready to play - maybe in a few days or maybe more like a few weeks - each individual case is different.

BTW - Jack Johnson is a dirty player and always has been. I'm not saying he intentionally targeted Schmaltz' head - he probably didn't - but he intentionally plays on the edge with no concern for other players such as when he cross checked Saad head first into the post when Saad scored. That was a reckless borderline dirty play that Johnson has a career of making.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
What is this "likes" feature? Is it like bitcoins? Is it like tickets at a carnival where we can exchange them for a prize at the end of the year? My job has too many decisions already. This "likes" button further complicates it. What if I give Fiddy a "like?" Do I get labeled an anarchist and arrested by the thought police? I'm so confused.
I gave Fiddy his first like. Just wanted to see if we'd still exist or if I'd cause some sort of tear in the space time continuum.

Nothing happened. :(

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Not sure but didn't Schmaltz get concussion symptoms at Worlds last fall? Really hope it's not serious, if it's concussion again I'm worried...

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Well, at least he didn't injure the knee he almost injured against the Pens. Schmaltz is a difference maker mostly because of his speed - knee injuries to speed players is very bad.

Upper body? Watching the replay a bunch of times it looks like Johnson's shoulder may have connected with Schmaltz' jaw and then the way Schmaltz reacted when he was down looks like head injury too. He was kneeling on all fours - if it was a shoulder or collar bone he wouldn't have been putting weight on his arms like that. Definitely seems head/concussion. Q said he wasn't going on the road trip but maybe he'd be ready to play by Thursday. I think that's Q being optimistic. If it's a concussion, there's no way to predict when he will be ready to play - maybe in a few days or maybe more like a few weeks - each individual case is different.

BTW - Jack Johnson is a dirty player and always has been. I'm not saying he intentionally targeted Schmaltz' head - he probably didn't - but he intentionally plays on the edge with no concern for other players such as when he cross checked Saad head first into the post when Saad scored. That was a reckless borderline dirty play that Johnson has a career of making.
IMO, I thought it was a concussion as well. He looked dazed. Then he came back on the ice, so then I thought it was just a stinger. Unfortunately, people reminded me that our medical staff has a history of pushing the envelope a bit. If his head was dinged, it's best to give him a full week off.

I don't know why we are surprised CBUS straddles the line ... at times crossing over. Living in NYC, I witnessed the lunacy of Torts. He can coach, but he's insane.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Hes missing a couple games, what is all the fuss about? Small injury...

I don't think there's a lot of fuss, but I also don't think you can know he'll miss only two games. Q said possibly Thursday for his return but that's just a guess because he doesn't know either.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
IMO, I thought it was a concussion as well. He looked dazed. Then he came back on the ice, so then I thought it was just a stinger. Unfortunately, people reminded me that our medical staff has a history of pushing the envelope a bit. If his head was dinged, it's best to give him a full week off.

I don't know why we are surprised CBUS straddles the line ... at times crossing over. Living in NYC, I witnessed the lunacy of Torts. He can coach, but he's insane.
remember i am or have no medical experience. but i thought it could be a bruised chest, a bruise sternum. if that is possible.

Paul Allen

Oct 24, 2011
Los Angeles
remember i am or have no medical experience. but i thought it could be a bruised chest, a bruise sternum. if that is possible.

Yeah, he looked like he got the wind knocked out of him, in addition to getting sandwiched and contorted all sorts of ways on the way down.

Reactions: LDF

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Hes missing a couple games, what is all the fuss about? Small injury...

1) We don't know how many games he will actually miss. Steven Stamkos and Carey Price both in the last few seasons have had injuries where they were scheduled back within a few games.... and that status lasted for months.

2) Losing Schmaltz is bad because he's been playing well, and because the ripple effects of trying to fill that hole weakens every line below it. You could just move AA up, but leaves Cat and Sharp without a center. You move one of Wingels or Hayden up to the 3rd line to fill that void, they're out of their most optimal positions.

While I'm not as high on him as most, I do honestly think just bringing up Hino, plugging him into the 2C spot and keeping all the other lines consistent is probably the best bet. Kane is the guy that carries that line more than anybody, even if Hino isn't great, Kane can probably make it dangerous for a game or two.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs

No doubt about it.

As to a call up, it's gotta be Hino. Great opportunity to see what he can do.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
1) We don't know how many games he will actually miss. Steven Stamkos and Carey Price both in the last few seasons have had injuries where they were scheduled back within a few games.... and that status lasted for months.

2) Losing Schmaltz is bad because he's been playing well, and because the ripple effects of trying to fill that hole weakens every line below it. You could just move AA up, but leaves Cat and Sharp without a center. You move one of Wingels or Hayden up to the 3rd line to fill that void, they're out of their most optimal positions.

While I'm not as high on him as most, I do honestly think just bringing up Hino, plugging him into the 2C spot and keeping all the other lines consistent is probably the best bet. Kane is the guy that carries that line more than anybody, even if Hino isn't great, Kane can probably make it dangerous for a game or two.
and while you make a good point about hino and such, i would like to add that no one is really calling this, what it is.
1. in the past couple of yrs, the hockey teams as been less forthcoming with, lets say truthful updates from their office.
2. it is in my thankful mind set that the hawks really do have depth on this team. granted maybe Hino as player is not in the same talent spectrum as Schm , but he is still a promising prospects and maybe this will be his baptism under fire trial

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Alex DeBrincat originally was a center and is good at face-offs,just saying...
- 57% in the OHL,total of 535 face-offs taken. (2015-2016 -> 2016-2017)
,for some reason there are no fo stats from his rookie season,no sog either.

Hartman-DeBrincat-Kane would be the ideal without Schmaltz.

I think many have noticed how good actually he is in the d-zone
totally surprised me,i didn't knew he can ace that "sector" too.

Brinksy,well... hardly need to explain how good he is elsewhere :)

Call up Hino,but put him in to 3rd. -> Sharp-AA-Hino,looks good to me.
Hino would bring a lot to that line,scoring,speed...

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
So we're not "required" to give them? So we won't be labeled as a "scrooge" if we don't play that game. I always think a response is the biggest validation of them all. I took time to reply rather than a click.

How useless is this post? I'm debating about "likes" on an anonymous message board amongst gasbags. It's not like a lack of "likes" is going to stop us from talking. :)

Allow me to clarify. On the old board if I liked what a person posted and did not have anything to add, I would usually reply with a one-word post, simply "Agreed". Now it isn't necessary. I simply click "like".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad