Injury Report: Schmaltz won't be on Leafs/Habs road trip (upper body injury)

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
In the post-game interview, Q did say that 8 looked good in practice. If he looked good, why didn't he play? You gotta take those comments with a grain of salt I suppose but fingers crossed that Schmaltz is back Saturday.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
In the post-game interview, Q did say that 8 looked good in practice. If he looked good, why didn't he play? You gotta take those comments with a grain of salt I suppose but fingers crossed that Schmaltz is back Saturday.

Likely concussion protocols. He can be cleared for skating, but still not be cleared for contact.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Likely concussion protocols. He can be cleared for skating, but still not be cleared for contact.
i am not disputing your opinion, but could it be something else ?? i mean if it was a concussion protocol, would he be out for a longer time ??

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
i am not disputing your opinion, but could it be something else ?? i mean if it was a concussion protocol, would he be out for a longer time ??

No. Concussions are different for every person. I've seen guys in both football and hockey come back in a week. I've also seen it take months.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
exactly, but with the players union taking more of an interest in these kind of injury and preventing the org from rushing the players back. i just wanted to step back and wonder if this injury was something else.

Last edited:

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
How sure are we that he had a concussion? I am thinking more chest rib/shoulder... He wouldn't have come out to the ice if it was concussion and players don't go back on the ice to test for concussion symptoms but usually to test out if something that is giving them some kind of pain or discomfort and can/can't play trough it...

Reactions: LDF

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
How sure are we that he had a concussion? I am thinking more chest rib/shoulder... He wouldn't have come out to the ice if it was concussion and players don't go back on the ice to test for concussion symptoms but usually to test out if something that is giving them some kind of pain or discomfort and can/can't play trough it...

I think you are correct.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
excellent logic.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Nothing is for sure but he had a black eye and a beat writer asked if it had anything to do with him being out and Schmaltz basically said yes. I thought it was ribs too but it looked like Johnson may have got him in the head. I can try to find the tweet after my errands.

Last edited:

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Nothing is for sure but he had a black eye and a beat writer asked if it had anything to do with him being out and Schmaltz basically said yes. I thought it was ribs too but it looked like Johnson may have got him in the head. I can try to find the tweet after my errands.

Can confirm that his eye looked bad. Could theoretically just be a swollen eye making it hard for him to see, but at this point, with the information we have available, it looks like another concussion for him.

Reactions: BrianE

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI

Can confirm that his eye looked bad. Could theoretically just be a swollen eye making it hard for him to see, but at this point, with the information we have available, it looks like another concussion for him.

Well this is great news, looking for Kane & Hartman to come back from the closet, maybe Schmaltz will kick them in the rear and say "let's get going boys"

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Well this is great news, looking for Kane & Hartman to come back from the closet, maybe Schmaltz will kick them in the rear and say "let's get going boys"
That was from the other day when Schmaltz was looking like a real possibility to play against the Preds. It's been confirmed that he's out tonight. I posted that tweet just to show the interview Schmaltz did that showcased his shiner.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
That was from the other day when Schmaltz was looking like a real possibility to play against the Preds. It's been confirmed that he's out tonight. I posted that tweet just to show the interview Schmaltz did that showcased his shiner.

So the concern that he's concussed will go on for another 4 days.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
So the concern that he's concussed will go on for another 4 days.
Yep. Though I am admittedly one of those concerned posters. I wasn't originally (I thought it was more likely a shoulder issue), but the fact that he has a huge shiner is a big giveaway that it was having to do with his head.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
It would be great to have him back, but one player shouldn't be making THIS much of a difference.

The makeup of that line needs to change without Schmaltz there. If he's not ready to go, then one of Hartman or AA needs to be moved off. You can't have only one play-maker on that line, it's too easy to shut down.

Sometimes a player goes down, it's as easy as swapping in another guy to fill the hole. Sometimes it requires a realignment of the skillsets on that line, and that means moving more than one player around.

I liked the idea @BobbyJet had of calling someone up and keeping the lines as similar as possible. There was some good chemistry going, more important than who is Kane's center in the short term.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Meh, this is no big deal at all because its just a few games into the season. He's practicing, its clearly not a serious injury, and he'll be back very soon. And when he does come back in these next handful of games there will be plenty of time to get the lines flowing and for everyone to form chemistry. No rush, no need to PaniK!

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Draisaitl out with similar injury...hit to eye with concussion symptoms.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->