Post-Game Talk: #ScheifeleDown Wins it for the Jets 2-1 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
that actually isn't a great photo though ... not worth it tbh . there will be better images from that sequence:)
Slightly better one I've come across.
i6WmSXN

MadMen88

Oct 19, 2011
Glad the boys are still in the conversation after that roadie, things could've gone much worse, but alas, we're a game above .500. With upcoming games against the Blues, Avalanche and Stars...all in Peg City...LOOOOKOUT! Is it time? Is it our time?? Big wins at home would put us on quite the streak...let's go jets go, go jets go, go jets go, cause this could be the steak we neeeeeeeed!!

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I was at a work party so I missed the game. Had it on PVR and was going to watch it tomorrow until some guy at the table behind us spoiled it for me. I just watched the highlights. Happy for Marky Mark. :D

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
Before I go to bed tonight, I have to give credit where credit is due. Scheifele took the bull by the horns tonight, and wrestled him to the ground.

The clownfeet thing...whatever...very clever...made me laugh, but in the real world he never lost focus, got up, made a behind the back pass most of us could ever dream of, and dug himself into a spot that may weld Wheeler onto the US olympic team.

Epic. That's all I'm sayin'.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Coach-Noel-post-game-December-7-2013-300x169.jpg

Coach Noel - – Assessment of the game. Big difference between a 4/2 roadtrip vs. 3.3. 1st period a good response by the group. Thoughts on Montoya’s game. Did he consider calling a timeout as 2nd was concluding after the icing?

To listen click here.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Wheeler didn't have a good game except for his goal and an assist on the game winning OT goal.:D

Sadly this game could easily gone the other way, post by the Lightning in OT, Jets took the night off around the mid point of the second period, no one on the Jets really stood out except for Man-toya who played well. Though Little, Ladd and Joki were non existent for the most part.

I've been hesitant to say it, but I thought he really was awful. No back check, lost most of the one on one battles, weak driving to the outside. Had two points though, so I guess people are happy with that. We're pretty fortunate that they only had one good player in the line up.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Great to see Scheif scoring the GWG. He's really getting things started lately. He'll be an offense-producer by the end of the season, no doubt.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
nothing's more rewarding than seeing your team outplay the home team for 1 period and then sit back on it's hefty 1 goal lead for the next 2 periods.
TB had some pretty darn great goaltending that made great saves during those moments when the Jets actually put a puck on the net.

great to see our rookie of the year contribute again and grow as an NHL player. and great to see Scheifele contribute as well.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Jets are 9-5-2 in the last 16 games. 1.25pts per game, which is around the pace they need to stay at to have any chance of competing for that last wildcard spot. Unfortunate they couldn't have gone 5-1 on this trip, as 10-4-2 in the last 16 would have put us 3pts out of a wildcard spot (not counting games in hand, etc)

Really impressed with Scheifele's tenacity on that GWG - turned what could have been a terrible fumble into a scoring chance, drove the net hard, and executed on a nice redirect. More please! :nod:

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
This was a game hat the Jets deserved the two points but Tampa almost stole them.
The game really shouldn't have even been close.

Thorburn was really solid and impressed me. Obviously he isn't going to stay on the second line but he has made some great passes where spectacular saves were needed or they would have been assists.
At the end of the game when he was the last person on the ice joking and celebrating the the team leaving the ice you could tell that he is a very well liked team mate.
Same for Scheifele, when he scored the celebration was massive because people were happy the he scored.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Thorburn was really solid and impressed me. Obviously he isn't going to stay on the second line but he has made some great passes where spectacular saves were needed or they would have been assists.

Good eye. I've felt the same way since he was bumped up to play with Jokinen. As you stated, doubt he sticks in that spot but he has been working his ass off lately, and often is in deep and heavy on the forecheck, has been battling hard down low and making plays to teammates. Thor has proven an under the radar contributor of late for sure.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Thor is definitely very happily and pretty capably doing the dirty work for Olli and Gooch. His work ethic has been great, and he's tackled the job with enthusiasm and kept it simple. Get in on the forecheck, retrieve pucks, and get it to the scorers.

I said it half jokingly before, but what would be wrong with putting Kane with Wright at centre and ?? on the other wing? Keep their job simple - get Kane the puck and forecheck. :dunno:

fergiesbeak

Aug 26, 2008
The Peg
A win is a win and 2pts are never easy in this league. Also great to see a 20 and 19 year old on the ice for the OT winner. Wheeler had a good game very nice to see. Same for Montoya. As for the mighty Thor not so sure i'd move him anytime soon off that second line.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Soooooo

Bright eyes in his rookie year but 3rd year after his draft:

31GP 3G 7Ast 10Pts

Burmi last season in his 3rd year after the draft and 3rd year in the NHL

44GP 4G 6Asts 10Pts

Not fancy stats but Mark is hangin in as a point getter.

And 1/2 of Scheifele's points have come over the last 7 games where he has gone 2G - 3A - 5P as he appears to have gotten more comfortable and confident in his game. The thing the kid does possess his very good offensive insticts. I wouldn't be surprised to see him maintain close to his current production over the rest of the season which would put somewhere in the mid 40's for the season.

Tdoe42

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Thor is definitely very happily and pretty capably doing the dirty work for Olli and Gooch. His work ethic has been great, and he's tackled the job with enthusiasm and kept it simple. Get in on the forecheck, retrieve pucks, and get it to the scorers.

I said it half jokingly before, but what would be wrong with putting Kane with Wright at centre and ?? on the other wing? Keep their job simple - get Kane the puck and forecheck. :dunno:

You might be on to something... Since Wright is a offensive black hole Kane can't drag him down anymore :laugh:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
You might be on to something... Since Wright is a offensive black hole Kane can't drag him down anymore :laugh:

:laugh: Very good point. :D

TBH, I preferred Wright at centre as he seemed to play a stronger game from that position, and I think truck and garret have shown the stats agree. What's the harm in trying?

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
i've been pleasantly surprised at how Thor has fit in with Olli and Seto. The line has looked more like a line than when Kane is there. Which reinforces that Kane and Olli are just not good together. I really wish we'd try to go back to Kane and Scheif, especially now that Schief's finding his legs in the NHL.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
i've been pleasantly surprised at how Thor has fit in with Olli and Seto. The line has looked more like a line than when Kane is there. Which reinforces that Kane and Olli are just not good together. I really wish we'd try to go back to Kane and Scheif, especially now that Schief's finding his legs in the NHL.

For now while things are working for Mark I am all for keeping him as far away from Kane as possible. I love having a 3rd line and depth scoring. One of the things that worked well on this road trip was that the 2nd line was going and the 3rd line was chipping in.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

That is what I suggested too! We keep worrying about getting Kane some big talent to play with but in fact I think it's wasted on him. Put him with guys who grind it out and will go into the corners and fish it out. Put him with a centre who is defensively sound and will go to the net for garbage.

That is what he really needs with his playing style.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Good eye. I've felt the same way since he was bumped up to play with Jokinen. As you stated, doubt he sticks in that spot but he has been working his ass off lately, and often is in deep and heavy on the forecheck, has been battling hard down low and making plays to teammates. Thor has proven an under the radar contributor of late for sure.

A win is a win and 2pts are never easy in this league. Also great to see a 20 and 19 year old on the ice for the OT winner. Wheeler had a good game very nice to see. Same for Montoya. As for the mighty Thor not so sure i'd move him anytime soon off that second line.

:laugh: Very good point. :D

TBH, I preferred Wright at centre as he seemed to play a stronger game from that position, and I think truck and garret have shown the stats agree. What's the harm in trying?

For now while things are working for Mark I am all for keeping him as far away from Kane as possible. I love having a 3rd line and depth scoring. One of the things that worked well on this road trip was that the 2nd line was going and the 3rd line was chipping in.

That is what I suggested too! We keep worrying about getting Kane some big talent to play with but in fact I think it's wasted on him. Put him with guys who grind it out and will go into the corners and fish it out. Put him with a centre who is defensively sound and will go to the net for garbage.

That is what he really needs with his playing style.

I don't keep track of who is who on here, but doesn't Noel get slaughtered on here day after day for mixing up the lines. Nothing like a win in this fickle ol' world I guess.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don't keep track of who is who on here, but doesn't Noel get slaughtered on here day after day for mixing up the lines. Nothing like a win in this fickle ol' world I guess.

Surely you can see there is a difference between constructing strong lines and relentlessly juggling them in-game?

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg

Putting Thor on the second line wasn't line juggling though.
Kane was hurt so someone had to go there.
Further Noel put Thor there and left him, and DIDN'T juggle the lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad