TV: Saturday Night Live 40 years live? and beyond -MOD 724

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Blah episode. Kevin Hart just isn't that funny to me. Franco episode was much better.

The Trump stuff is so stale. My favorite was probably the pandora commercial.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
It's a pretty good bit, although he needs to work on the timing. Some of the lines are missed because he's going to fast.

It's rapid fire though. I can forgive the occasional flub because every sentence has at least two jokes in them.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Just caught up. Two fairly strong episodes to end the year. Love the Christmas tradition of SNL bidding adieu for the year on the Rockefeller Center skating rink.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Just caught up. Two fairly strong episodes to end the year. Love the Christmas tradition of SNL bidding adieu for the year on the Rockefeller Center skating rink.

Probably wasn’t Kevin Hart’s favourite part of the night. He didn’t look too comfortable on those skates.

The show has been ok so far this year, but the sketches are really not great. Like last year, it’s the cold opens that have been the most memorable part of the show.

Kate as Jeff Sessions is one of the funniest things right now for me. She is so much better than anyone else they have there right now.

I don’t know why the cast needs to be so big. Why not just have 10 people or so? Most sketches never have more than 5 people in them anyway. Some people never seem to get on. That Luke Null guy. Is that his name? You never see him. I’ve never understood why they need so many cast members.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Probably wasn’t Kevin Hart’s favourite part of the night. He didn’t look too comfortable on those skates.

The show has been ok so far this year, but the sketches are really not great. Like last year, it’s the cold opens that have been the most memorable part of the show.

Kate as Jeff Sessions is one of the funniest things right now for me. She is so much better than anyone else they have there right now.

I don’t know why the cast needs to be so big. Why not just have 10 people or so? Most sketches never have more than 5 people in them anyway. Some people never seem to get on. That Luke Null guy. Is that his name? You never see him. I’ve never understood why they need so many cast members.

there is a few good books and essays on just how insane the back of SNL is.

A few years ago both Sarah Silverman and janeane garofalo did a round table discussion on their time on the show and it was eye opening to see just how chaotic the show is and how if Lorne likes you--you get favorite "boy" status, janeane garofalo said straight out that when she was on the show, no matter how bad of an idea certain male cast members had(one of the other female comics piped in Sadler, Spade and Farley) they would get their sketch on and so many good sketches never got on due to how the show was structured. During the Wil Farrell and the Wig years it was reported by numerous cast members who had left that no matter how bad their sketches were--there were on the show. To keep them happy.

Reading the articles on the back stage mayhem was eye opening to realize how cut throat that the show has been. In 90's there was one actor who, when he felt threatened by other newer actors--would convince them doing a line of coke before a sketch run through would help their performance--when the "deciders" realized they were on drugs--their sketch was not getting on

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
lol

Was it Chris Kattan?

I think McKinnon's Jeff Sessions is terrible. McCarthy as Spicer is the only Trump-era impression I have liked. The rest feel so forced and ham-fisted.

To be honest I almost never find McKinnon funny. She is always playing the same 'creepy eccentric' character and its very boring. She must have "favourite boy" status.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
To be honest I almost never find McKinnon funny. She is always playing the same 'creepy eccentric' character and its very boring. She must have "favourite boy" status.

I think she's pretty good - I think the writers write those characters for her at this point. It's a bit like what happened with Kristen Wiig.

One of my favourites is still the alien abduction lady who always gets the rest of the cast going:

I like this one as well:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
McKinnon is so much better than anyone else in that cast right now, and I mean no disrespect to the rest of the cast. She is just better.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I'm surprised Beck Bennett doesn't get more talk as a break out star. The Putin impression is tremendous, probably the best one in this political cycle outside of Baldwin's Trump. But, he's able to be funny regardless of the role in the sketch.

Regarding the competitiveness of the show over the years, the stars do get the airtime, but, from what I've read, a lot of that is that the writers are also competing, and they tend to write sketches around the big stars, as that's what's most likely getting to air, so it just creates a challenging cycle.

The key for newcomers seems to be to get laughs in the small roles. The show will also usually let newcomers get a decent showcase on a weekend update at some point. Making those appearances count seems to be way to get airtime.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Bennett is good too. Quite good. I like Kyle Mooney too. They should use him more.

Leslie Jones has grown on me. I really couldn’t stand her for a long time, but she has done some funny stuff on the show, so credit where credit is due.

Am I the only one who doesn’t really care for Pete Davidson? I mean he seems like a nice enough guy, but he doesn’t really make me laugh much. I wouldn’t be sad if he left after this season.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Am I the only one who doesn’t really care for Pete Davidson? I mean he seems like a nice enough guy, but he doesn’t really make me laugh much. I wouldn’t be sad if he left after this season.

He's more of a stand-up so his best segments tend to be his Update bits.

His latest bit about Staten Island was great. Colin Jost is also from Staten Island.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
He's more of a stand-up so his best segments tend to be his Update bits.

His latest bit about Staten Island was great. Colin Jost is also from Staten Island.

I don’t particularly enjoy him on weekend update either. Just not a fan.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I agree. Don't like basically anything Pete Davidson has ever done.

He has a great New York story though; I think thats a big reason why he is where he is.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Regarding Davidson, isn't he dealing with some severe mental health issues.

I think being a very young hire, they didn't want to push him out, but, he needs to show a bit more to justify the spot.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
McKinnon is the best the show has, but Sessions doesn't do anything for me. I'm pretty much over all the political stuff as it's too repetitive.

I find Davidson funny, but he basically only plays himself, as others say, which limits what he can do on this show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad