TV: Saturday Night Live 40 years live? and beyond -MOD 724

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Another factor to consider is how the comedy landscape has changed from the 80's and 90's. SNL isn't the only major way for a comedian to break through anymore. The Daily Show with Jon Stewart I would argue produced for successful stars post 2005 than SNL.

This is a huge piece that gets ignored or goes unnoticed.

With the (not so recent anymore) recent rise in cable/streaming, there are tons of shows that come out every year, so SNL doesn't need to launch careers.

Donald Glover would've been great for SNL, but he was able to start on 30 Rock.

The girls in Broad City would be great for SNL, but they already have their own show.

Aziz would've been great on SNL, did the stand up without it, then parks and rec.

You could do this for days.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Another factor to consider is how the comedy landscape has changed from the 80's and 90's. SNL isn't the only major way for a comedian to break through anymore. The Daily Show with Jon Stewart I would argue produced for successful stars post 2005 than SNL.

While the show isn't as good as the past, it still gets the job done as a late night sketch show.

This is on point, in my opinion.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA

While the show isn't as good as the past, it still gets the job done as a late night sketch show.

I think the late 2000s/early 2010s will go down as one of the best eras ever. Proof that even with the current landscape a good set of writers and performers can elevate the show to the level it was back in the "good 'ol days."

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Last season was quite the 'comeback year' for SNL. Will be interesting to see if they can pick up where they left off.

Of the new featured players I'm most looking forward to Chris Redd. Saw him live at Second City Chicago a few years back and he was terrific.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Last season was quite the 'comeback year' for SNL. Will be interesting to see if they can pick up where they left off.

Of the new featured players I'm most looking forward to Chris Redd. Saw him live at Second City Chicago a few years back and he was terrific.

They've announced the next few hosts as well, and happy to see Kumail Nanjiani get selected. Had a great indie hit over the summer, but, still surprising, as he has a lower profile than most hosts.

It will be interesting to see what type of tone they take this season. Last season, the politics obviously dominated, and they received a ton of critical recognition for it, but, hard to maintain that level outside the election and early days. That said, current political environment isn't short of headlines, so, they can go heavy if they choose. The current NFL controversy seems like it's right up SNL alley.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh

It's always tough to gauge how people will perform on SNL. It's a much more character-driven entity, so if you're a cast member capable of writing and pitching your own characters, you're much more likely to succeed.

Sasheer Zamata, for instance, was by all accounts a completely hilarious improvisor while at UCB, but never really hit her stride with SNL, and I'm guessing it was a lack of personally-created characters for writers to develop throughout shows.

One of the new cast members, Heidi Gardner, is a Groundlings alum, and they put a premium on developing characters there, so I'd expect her to be able to find her way this first season. That said, my only exposure to Chris Redd is from Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping, and his scene regarding the prank was probably the best in the movie.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I didn't think Pumpkins was funny at all.

But whatever funny it had to people was based on the WTF is going on factor. It's not going to work at all as a half hour animated special. Horrible idea.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I didn't think Pumpkins was funny at all.

But whatever funny it had to people was based on the WTF is going on factor. It's not going to work at all as a half hour animated special. Horrible idea.

WTF? You didn't find David S. Pumpkins funny? Boy are you not going to like my Hawks GDT for tomorrow...

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Re: David Pumpkins animated special: 1) haha, 2) wtf?

Now the premise on its own sounds stupid, sure, BUT it could be good if the writing is solid. And why not? Used to be, anything created for TV could be good. Times are not much like that anymore, but I'll give it a shot. Now what's the over/under on whether it becomes a Halloween-themed Trump-bashing show o_O

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I turned that alien sketch off the second it came on. I can't stand that slobby, lady character.

Saying gross things isn't inherently funny.

Michael Che's Weekend Update on Trump was great though. Love seeing liberals on Twitter fawn over him though because I know his next 'problematic' joke is right around the corner.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I turned that alien sketch off the second it came on. I can't stand that slobby, lady character.

Saying gross things isn't inherently funny.

Michael Che's Weekend Update on Trump was great though. Love seeing liberals on Twitter fawn over him though because I know his next 'problematic' joke is right around the corner.

I watched it on Youtube and you really should watch it to the end. Kate killed it and Gosling couldn't keep a straight face. Plus the AoS references.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I must say I enjoyed the pizza hut sketch. Partly because I hate commercials where people say they think it's one thing and then it turns out it's not. It's way overused

donkshow

Aug 19, 2007
Kate McKinnon is awesome. She's my favourite female on SNL since Kristin Wiig left.

Petrouth

Its not my time
Apr 23, 2013
East York, Toronto
Havent watched SNL in a few years but just watched this one. God damn did that papyrus Avatar sketch kill me. Loved the whole show so I think ill be back this season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad