TV: Saturday Night Live 40 years live? and beyond -MOD 724

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Havent watched SNL in a few years but just watched this one. God damn did that papyrus Avatar sketch kill me. Loved the whole show so I think ill be back this season

Papyrus was my favorite from the first episode as well. SNL (and sketch in general I suppose) is at its best when it keeps things simple. So often they try to cram multiple joke threads into a sketch and it just loses some punch. The Pizza Hut sketch is a good example of that. It was just fine having people being mad they were misled, but then they kept throwing in new things that made out the couple to be crazier and crazier, and it took a way the simplicity of the initial bit.

The OJ sketch from the most recent episode was another good example of the benefits of keeping the premise simple and just hitting it harder and harder over again.

I'm starting to think they are intentionally frequently making Leslie Jones the "angry black woman" just to annoy everyone

To be honest, I'd rather her do that if she's going to be on. She's uncomfortably cringeworthy trying to do literally anything else.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Admittedly my POV is from that of a visible minority, but I thought Kumail Nanjiani killed the monologue last night. Cold open was great too (Baldwin's Trump is in midseason form) though the rest of the sketches were hit and miss.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Admittedly my POV is from that of a visible minority, but I thought Kumail Nanjiani killed the monologue last night. Cold open was great too (Baldwin's Trump is in midseason form) though the rest of the sketches were hit and miss.

Monologue was really good. Although, given that he's among the lesser known hosts that they have come through, I wonder how it was received by people who don't know who he is, or have seen his stuff before.

He was very good, especially as a first time host, but really doesn't do a lot of characters, so, it limits what they could really do. It would have been nice if they could have written at least one sketch that was a little more out there.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It was a pretty poor episode all around.

The "alien abduction" sketch and the "female actor studio" sketch are essentially the same.

Monologue was good, but nothing as good as papyrus or OJ sketches as others have outlined.

I felt the news wasn't as funny either and it's usually pretty strong.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Monologue was really good. Although, given that he's among the lesser known hosts that they have come through, I wonder how it was received by people who don't know who he is, or have seen his stuff before.

I thought that too, but then the ratings for his episode were actually higher than Gosling and Gadot (though just barely).

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I only got through update but I was pretty underwhelmed. I know they have to do the Trump stuff, because he dominates the headlines but it's rarely funny to me anymore.
Celebrity Price is right was alright and I liked the advertising skit.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
I found the Lawyer at the party with his wife/fiancée/gf who happened to be a gay club singer to be funny. It read a bit like a lesser Stefon sketch where they just introduced more and more ridiculous clubbing/gay terms. Larry David was losing it about halfway through the sketch. I also liked the Trump brothers impressions.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I found the Lawyer at the party with his wife/fiancée/gf who happened to be a gay club singer to be funny. It read a bit like a lesser Stefon sketch where they just introduced more and more ridiculous clubbing/gay terms. Larry David was losing it about halfway through the sketch. I also liked the Trump brothers impressions.
I'm so out on them. There's nothing new there. It's beating a dead horse.

In the same vein, is there anything funny about how they use Leslie Jones on update?

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Leslie Jones has basically repeated the exact same lines on WU for like 3 years.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Yeah this ep was definitely a letdown. The ad sketch was the only decent one I thought. I did really enjoy the movie boxer's girlfriend character during Update though.

I know they have to do the Trump stuff, because he dominates the headlines but it's rarely funny to me anymore.

I'm just over Baldwin's impression. Anthony Atamanuik on Comedy Central (The President Show) is the de facto trump impressionist right now, IMO. Especially since Baldwin was actually very dismissive towards him when asked about it, which makes it that much easier to just tune out Baldwin's trump.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Baldwin is such an awful Trump. All he does is paint himself orange and scrunch his face up. Its pathetic.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I can't even take this show anymore. Looks like it hasn't gotten better this season, though that was expected. Remember when the presidential skits used to be clever and anyone could laugh at them?

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Strong episode from the entire cast last night. Once again the women led the way, though Kenan's Lavar Ball was my favourite spot of the show.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Yea, that was probably the best episode so far in an otherwise weak season. Haddish was pretty funny.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
No idea who that Haddish chick is but she was gorgeous and I loved her energy!

Was Taylor Swift in any sketches at all?

And I love anytime Colin Jost drops a "dad" joke on Weekend Update. This week's was great.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Pete Davidson killed it on Update.
Yea, that was by far the best piece he's ever done on the show. "That's a death threat! In the newspaper!"

Probably going to be some fans of this one

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
That's the best hockey skit since "Little Hockey" appeared on update. "Hey guys!" "Hey, Little Hockey!" Probably the only one since then, too.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Was wondering if anyone else PVRed last night's episode.

Chance was ok but it was another good episode for the writers and the cast.

Loved the hockey sketch of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad