TV: Saturday Night Live 40 years live? and beyond -MOD 724

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Last thread is nearing a thousand

Just watched the show and if taped it or tvod it, streamed it, stol---- legally dowloaded like me in London Eng--Onterio (yeah yeah Ontario)

rewatch the Chris Rock introducing Eddie Murphy-- as he walk off stage--it is almost like he goes "I can believe I had to say all this ****"--

I think they got Eddie back on the show--by doing such a hard sell of how he saved the show--tthe build up was better then the actual thing Murphy did

https://tvline.com/2016/09/28/saturday-night-live-alec-baldwin-donald-trump-cast-season-42/

Last edited:

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
This show made me really nostalgic for what the show used to be, and it made me sad that all of these greats are getting old and passing away. I think seeing Jack Nicholson up there at his age was really sobering... also seeing Chevy Chase in his condition.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I absolutely loved that special last night. So many mark-out moments when you'd see an appearance by somebody who hadn't been there for years. The Lovitz joke at the end of the song was hilarious.

I could have done without the musical numbers (none of them were very good) and wish they would have used that time to show a long montage of all the bands who appeared on the show, but that's a minor complaint.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Boy, some writer/reviewer at Yahoo! (at least that's where I read it this morning, but now I can't find the damn link on that site!) doesn't seem to understand the concept of "just having a good time".

They singled out Emma Stone's nod to Gilda Radner's 'Rosanne Rosannadanna' as being "the worst" on Weekend Update...really? I had zero problem with it. One of Stone's Bumper Pictures from when she's hosted in the past is her in the Rosannadanna get-up, she's a big fan of the character.

The writer/reviewer obviously missed the point of those little bits with Stone, Norton and McCarthy, which was to pay homage to Weekend Update characters (though I do not remember if Foley started out on WU, or had some time there in the past). And Stone did a perfectly fine 'Rosanne Rosannadanna' on top of that.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I think they got Eddie back on the show--by doing such a hard sell of how he saved the show--tthe build up was better then the actual thing Murphy did

But he did and it's widely acknowledged by everyone who had anything to do with the show at the time, so it's not like they were kissing his butt for no reason.

Anyone who has any interest in the history of SNL should check out the book "Live From New York: An Uncensored History Of Saturday Night Live". It contains candid interviews from just about everyone that had anything to do with SNL from when it started up until it was published (except Eddie Murphy).

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
But he did and it's widely acknowledged by everyone who had anything to do with the show at the time, so it's not like they were kissing his butt for no reason.

Anyone who has any interest in the history of SNL should check out the book "Live From New York: An Uncensored History Of Saturday Night Live". It contains candid interviews from just about everyone that had anything to do with SNL from when it started up until it was published (except Eddie Murphy).

I have the book and strongly recommend it. It gives the reader a nice behind the scenes look at SNL.

Boy, some writer/reviewer at Yahoo! (at least that's where I read it this morning, but now I can't find the damn link on that site!) doesn't seem to understand the concept of "just having a good time".

They singled out Emma Stone's nod to Gilda Radner's 'Rosanne Rosannadanna' as being "the worst" on Weekend Update...really? I had zero problem with it. One of Stone's Bumper Pictures from when she's hosted in the past is her in the Rosannadanna get-up, she's a big fan of the character.

The writer/reviewer obviously missed the point of those little bits with Stone, Norton and McCarthy, which was to pay homage to Weekend Update characters (though I do not remember if Foley started out on WU, or had some time there in the past). And Stone did a perfectly fine 'Rosanne Rosannadanna' on top of that.

Some people just take things too seriously, I thought Emma Stone did a great job. She nailed it as far as I'm concerned.

Arthur*

When Chevy was walking down the stairs, I was thinking he'd take a fall like back in the day, then I realized he'd probably break a hip.

About Eddie Murphy, the whole segment was just bad. I think whoever said they had to sell him to come back with all this praise (deserved, yet not keeping in with the tone of the show) to have him come back was right. I'm not sure what the root of Murphy's beef with Lorne Michaels is(some of it is getting out of his contract in the 80s, but it must go deeper), but for that they might as well have had him stay home.

As for Emma Stone, I found that uncomfortable. I hate watching amateurs try to do other people's characters, especially when they're dead. I couldn't even watch when the fat girl was trying to be Matt Foley. Cringeworthy.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Steve Martin is the GOAT host! RIP Lovitz! The Dan Akroyd opener was kind of rough, partly because I always hated that sketch.

Celebrity Jeopardy had me dying when Norm drove his podium to the set. I think Jim Carrey flubbed his line

missed the rest of the show though

I absolutely loved that special last night. So many mark-out moments when you'd see an appearance by somebody who hadn't been there for years. The Lovitz joke at the end of the song was hilarious.

I could have done without the musical numbers (none of them were very good) and wish they would have used that time to show a long montage of all the bands who appeared on the show, but that's a minor complaint.

I marked out for Bill Murray doing the Jaws theme song

People did whatnow?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Some people just take things too seriously, I thought Emma Stone did a great job. She nailed it as far as I'm concerned.

Exactly! She was really good in her bit last night, I thought she did a tremendous job playing it.

I mean really, all-in-all, it was a really fun night to watch. I could have done with out Cyrus and West (I'm a big Beatles fan so I didn't mind McCartney myself) and then they could have had more time for some other stuff, but even with them in the Live show, they still did a great job I thought.

It was truly meant to be just a "sit back and enjoy the show" type of event, and if you were able to do that, then I think you had fun. I also loved how Steve Martin introduced Tom Hanks as "America's Tom Hanks"...made me chuckle...actually, Steve's whole bit made me laugh pretty well--after all these year's, he's still got it.

Definitely popped for Sandler's "Opera Man" and I thought the Digital Short with him and Samberg was pretty good as well. I knew that once it was about "breaking" in a sketch that it would hardcore poke fun at Fallon (and Sanz).

I'm hoping that NBC and SNL were smart enough to capture some interviews from all/most of the guest list this past week and compile that and put it and the show from last night on a Blu Ray and/or DVD release and I think it would sell...if anything because how often are those people going to be in the same room again?

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
It was truly meant to be just a "sit back and enjoy the show" type of event, and if you were able to do that, then I think you had fun. I also loved how Steve Martin introduced Tom Hanks as "America's Tom Hanks"...made me chuckle...actually, Steve's whole bit made me laugh pretty well--after all these year's, he's still got it.

Yeah, Steve Martin's bit was easily one of my favourite parts! It reminded me of all those 5-timers club skits he did/does.

Edit: I just re-watched the Tom Hanks' 5-timers club and just realized Conan O'Brien played the role of the doorman :laugh:

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA

Well said Rock.

And I agree. Those tributes were well done. As that's what they were. I thought Stone did a very fine job.

I thought the show also showed how hard it is to do comedy. As a couple of the very painful cringe worthy moments were Taylor Swift, and to a lesser degree Bradley Cooper trying to be funny in that soap opera skit. Swift really came up short, imo, to the point of being a sore thumb in that skit. And Cooper, a good actor, was definitely better than Swift, but not very good. Just some nitpicking things, but yeah, I thought the show was great.

Last edited:

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Last thread is nearing a thousand

Just watched the show and if taped it or tvod it, streamed it, stol---- legally dowloaded like me in London Eng--Onterio (yeah yeah Ontario)

rewatch the Chris Rock introducing Eddie Murphy-- as he walk off stage--it is almost like he goes "I can believe I had to say all this ****"--

Hmm...I didn't get that. But I didn't really notice when he was walking off.

I thought it was sincere, especially since I saw a recent interview with Chris Rock, and he stated that it was Eddie Murphy who got him his start into the business.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Hmm...I didn't get that. But I didn't really notice when he was walking off.

I thought it was sincere, especially since I saw a recent interview with Chris Rock, and he stated that it was Eddie Murphy who got him his start into the business.

Yup. Murphy saw him in a club and flew him out to be in Beverly Hills Cop 3. I think he had to ask Rock's parents for permission because he was like 16 years old.

edit: Beverly Hills cop 2

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
Taylor Swift should stick to making music, she ruined that whole sketch for me.
That and seeing Kanye's stupid face again....
But I enjoyed everything else.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I always crack up when Hammond screws up the titles of the categories on the Jeapardy sketches. That sketch was so great last night. So many good memories come flooding back on these retrospective nights. As a teenager me and my brother would watch the Cheeseburger sketch, then after the show, go to an all night Greek burger restaurant about 15 minutes away that could have been the model for that sketch. We would order a cheeseburger and Pepsi and just sit and howl as we ate watching these guys.

It is sad to see the originals getting so old. It will be the end of an era when they pass. Now I know how my dad felt watching his goat's die off from the golden age of Hollywood.

I have watched since the beginning, some years I stopped watching, but as long as Lorne Michaels is in charge, you know they bounce back.

(Also...yellow snow written in your moms handwriting :))

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Kanye West I could have done without for good reason. Other than that, it was a spectacular show. Really, really well done and SNL always seems to do stuff like this very well.

They covered every era, well, they emphasized some better than others. The 1980-'86 era is often considered the worst. Eddie Murphy of course being the only thing that kept it going. Lorne Michaels leaving the show from 1980-'85 was a big reason too. Let's face it, Lorne does have a touch with that show, it's his baby.

But they did this show with class. They really pulled out the stops to get almost all of the major players back. It really made me miss guys like Phil Hartman - literally. Chris Farley as well. Man, those guys really epitomized SNL. So did Dana Carvey, thankfully still with us. In fact, the 1986-'94 era was the best era of the show in my mind. None other can top it.

I didn't see Rob Schneider, Dennis Miller, Victoria Jackson, Julia Louis-Dreyfuss there last night to name a few. Except of course in old skits and clips they showed. But I mean I didn't see them live on the show last night.

I also liked how they honoured the hosts. Steve Martin, Alec Baldwin, etc. John Goodman showed up too and it might surprised people he hosted 13 times. He did it pretty much every year back in the day when he was on Roseanne.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->