Sarnia Sting 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Chartier makes all those big saves for that to go in. Damn. Not generated nearly enough offense this period either.

Would've been nice to get a single PP today. 4-0 the PPs.

Well nvm I guess lol. I do think his feet crossed before the puck but that's a tough sell to say u see it conclusively. My cries of the ref can be shut up I guess haha.

Fischer what in the ever living F*** was that..Jesus what a dumb penalty. Costs them the game.

3rd straight good appearance for Chartier at least. Multiple high danger saves on their best guys. Reason they got a point. Solid debut for Kostuch & Cajkovic I thought. Cajkovic gives me major Malyavin vibes lol. Ridiculous Brown didn't see a shift in OT but Way, Moses did. Stupid. PPs finish 5-0 which is wild but whatever. I think it's better (?) If we lose anyway lmao.

Onto the slaughter Wednesday.

Last edited:

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Couple of big nights for prospects. Chris Soares with 1G/2A for the Toronto Jr. Canadiens. Now up to 32 points (16G, 16A) in 40 games this season. D-man Carter Timmins had 3A for Welland in the GOJHL. 14 points (4G, 10A) in 33 games this season
Obviously most of the attention goes to Barr, Hurt, Bridgewater but Sarnia was pretty thrilled where they got McNally (big bruising Dman), Andersen (physical but offensively competent) & Timmins (good skating puck mover). Got them in rounds 9-10-11.

If just one pans out this class will be one to remember on D at least. Let alone Brown as the top pick. And if they ever got Quinlan or Kosiba over...

Keep saying it but really hope after Wednesday we see Beamish, Soares or Denney signed and brought up. Not worried yet but the more you let them keep lighting league's on fire the higher the chance someone takes notice elsewhere.. don't gotta be up full time either. Just get them signed. Then bring them up in spurts like they've done before. Especially Beamish.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Obviously most of the attention goes to Barr, Hurt, Bridgewater but Sarnia was pretty thrilled where they got McNally (big bruising Dman), Andersen (physical but offensively competent) & Timmins (good skating puck mover). Got them in rounds 9-10-11.

If just one pans out this class will be one to remember on D at least. Let alone Brown as the top pick. And if they ever got Quinlan or Kosiba over...

Keep saying it but really hope after Wednesday we see Beamish, Soares or Denney signed and brought up. Not worried yet but the more you let them keep lighting league's on fire the higher the chance someone takes notice elsewhere.. don't gotta be up full time either. Just get them signed. Then bring them up in spurts like they've done before. Especially Beamish.
Yeah this draft class is looking quite good so far. I'm with you on Beamish. Really hope they get him signed. Although the problem would be getting him into the lineup. If I remember correctly you can only have five 16 year old players (07's in this case) on your game day roster. The Sting already have Brown, Kostuch, Barr, Hurt, and Sim playing most of the time. So if Beamish signs he would likely only get a few games in the O this year. Back to bigger picture though Sarnia has to be excited with the amount of prospects that are playing well in Jr. A or Jr. B. Having Andersen, Beamish, Bridgewater, Denney, Maillet, Soares, and Timmins playing well creates some really great organzitional depth. Should be a very competitive training camp next season. Some of the lower level guys on this team will have to fight to keep their spot

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
In the observers interview with Seca he says Kostuch they had rated right next to Brown. They are beyond thrilled to have gotten him & incredibly excited about their '07 core.

They didn't plan to trade the twins but NB offer was to good to pass. Vilmanis had tons of interest.

They don't plan on any more moves. They're goal is to make the playoffs & let the kids play & get that experience. Hard to be mad at that I suppose but man I'd much prefer a top 4 pick than an absolute butt-whooping from LDN/SAG/KIT. To be fair to them we all thought the same 2 years ago. They gave WSR a serious push then got Martone at 5.

Part I disagree with the most is on Cajkovic. They like him & think he'll be a good piece for a "couple seasons". You'll have to convince me why keeping him is logical. You have Fischer, Young, Hurt, Barr, Bridgewater, Schneider, Omeri & whoever else develops, you draft etc on D next yr.

You still lack top end F talent. Your gonna pass on a top 10-15 import pick to keep a solid not elite player at position your deep at? Pray he's just saying that cause he can't really say oh yah we r done with him in 2 months.

But clearly they think quite highly of the '07s. Can see why to be fair. Including the ones not here yet. Gonna need another good draft here to really build something nice!

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Well if what Seca says is true & they are done I do piggyback a bit off his optimism (not so much for next year tho).

Next year's depth chart IMO.

Forward:
(17 yr) (19 Yr) (?)
Brown-Wainwright-Import (?)

(17 yr) (OA) (19 yr)
Kostuch-Filak-Kukumberg

(16 yr) (17 yr) (19 yr)
2024 1st RD-Beamish-Moses

(17 yr) (17 yr) (18 yr)
Sim-Luecke-Hall

(18 yr) (18 yr) (16 yr)
X: Denney, Soares, 2nd/3rd/4th rounder, Doucette (?) (OA)

Defence:
(18 yr) (17 yr)
Fischer-Hurt

(17 yr) (19 yr)
Barr-Young

(17 yr)
Bridgewater

(OA) (18 yr) (19 yr)
X: MacDonald, Omeri, Cajkovi, Schnieder (19 yr), 2nd/3rd/4th rounder (16 yr)

G:
(18 yr)
Chartier

(18 yr)
Maillet

(18 yr)
Gillis

(OA)
Surzycia (?)

Gonna be a really young group again. Up to nine/ten 17U players (Brown, Kostuch, Beamish, Luecke, Sim, Barr, Hurt, Bridgewater, new rookies)

Filak to me is the only "lock" OA. Realistically you're hoping Surzycia isn't one as that would mean Chartier & Maillet aren't it. MacDonald is just an ok depth D not sure I'd say OA worthy. Doucette has gone ice cold. If he doesn't pick it up I'd rather Denney/Luecke/16 yr old get those minutes.

Gets you excited for the following (25-26) season tho, as they could return both goalies, every Dman & 10 of the 12 Fs (Filak, Kukumberg) which is awesome. Especially because not like those guys are game breakers/super dynamic producers. You could end up replacing them with even higher scoring, more dynamic Fs. Wainwright will be an elite OA, Young will be a damn good OA Dman, Fischer should be a monster at 19, recent draft class all 18 & in year 3. Upcoming class 17 & in yr 2.

And for once maybe just maybe they could string dare I say two (!!!) Good seasons in a row as the following year (26-27) you'd have Brown, Sim, Kostuch, Barr, Hurt, Bridgewater, Beamish, Luecke all being 19 with Chartier as OA with 2 more OA spots (Assume Fischer goes pro) open & the upcoming class which picks high all being 18 + whoever else they add by then.

Probably the best they've been set up for back2back good years probably since I started going (2008) truthfully.

Obviously tons of ?/ifs with how do guys develop, how they draft etc but it's pretty promising at least. Will start preparing for pure disappointment & heartbreak!

Last edited:

Jason M

Nov 13, 2019
In the observers interview with Seca he says Kostuch they had rated right next to Brown. They are beyond thrilled to have gotten him & incredibly excited about their '07 core.

They didn't plan to trade the twins but NB offer was to good to pass. Vilmanis had tons of interest.

They don't plan on any more moves. They're goal is to make the playoffs & let the kids play & get that experience. Hard to be mad at that I suppose but man I'd much prefer a top 4 pick than an absolute butt-whooping from LDN/SAG/KIT. To be fair to them we all thought the same 2 years ago. They gave WSR a serious push then got Martone at 5.

Part I disagree with the most is on Cajkovic. They like him & think he'll be a good piece for a "couple seasons". You'll have to convince me why keeping him is logical. You have Fischer, Young, Hurt, Barr, Bridgewater, Schneider, Omeri & whoever else develops, you draft etc on D next yr.

You still lack top end F talent. Your gonna pass on a top 10-15 import pick to keep a solid not elite player at position your deep at? Pray he's just saying that cause he can't really say oh yah we r done with him in 2 months.

But clearly they think quite highly of the '07s. Can see why to be fair. Including the ones not here yet. Gonna need another good draft here to really build something nice!

I really hope Seca's interview was just lip service. Because if not his statement makes it sound like we're going to pull a Sarnia and try to go for next year. I really hope we make more moves with this being a sellers market it would be stupid to just sit pat now. I kinda hoping we move NS because if we don't I don't see Malliet getting in any games. Which would be dumb because what was the point of signing him then. Plus why not try and get a top 4 pick because we still lack any high end talent out side of Brown. And the way it's going were going to have the same issue next year unless we get a top 4 pick.

Reactions: honeydripper

honeydripper

Mar 15, 2022
I really hope Seca's interview was just lip service. Because if not his statement makes it sound like we're going to pull a Sarnia and try to go for next year. I really hope we make more moves with this being a sellers market it would be stupid to just sit pat now. I kinda hoping we move NS because if we don't I don't see Malliet getting in any games. Which would be dumb because what was the point of signing him then. Plus why not try and get a top 4 pick because we still lack any high end talent out side of Brown. And the way it's going were going to have the same issue next year unless we get a top 4 pick.
I agree, I'd much rather see a top 4 pick than 2 home playoff games at this point. Same sentiment as last year, you don't half ass "all in", so don't half ass the lottery this year. They were way too close to getting 2 points yesterday, good job Fischer.

stinger94

Jan 8, 2024
Well if what Seca says is true & they are done I do piggyback a bit off his optimism (not so much for next year tho).

Next year's depth chart IMO.

Forward:
(17 yr) (19 Yr) (?)
Brown-Wainwright-Import (?)

(17 yr) (OA) (19 yr)
Kostuch-Filak-Kukumberg

(16 yr) (17 yr) (19 yr)
2024 1st RD-Beamish-Moses

(17 yr) (17 yr) (18 yr)
Sim-Luecke-Hall

(18 yr) (18 yr) (16 yr)
X: Denney, Soares, 2nd/3rd/4th rounder, Doucette (?) (OA)

Defence:
(18 yr) (17 yr)
Fischer-Hurt

(17 yr) (19 yr)
Barr-Young

(17 yr)
Bridgewater

(OA) (18 yr) (19 yr)
X: MacDonald, Omeri, Cajkovi, Schnieder (19 yr), 2nd/3rd/4th rounder (16 yr)

G:
(18 yr)
Chartier

(18 yr)
Maillet

(18 yr)
Gillis

(OA)
Surzycia (?)

Gonna be a really young group again. Up to nine/ten 17U players (Brown, Kostuch, Beamish, Luecke, Sim, Barr, Hurt, Bridgewater, new rookies)

Filak to me is the only "lock" OA. Realistically you're hoping Surzycia isn't one as that would mean Chartier & Maillet aren't it. MacDonald is just an ok depth D not sure I'd say OA worthy. Doucette has gone ice cold. If he doesn't pick it up I'd rather Denney/Luecke/16 yr old get those minutes.

Gets you excited for the following (25-26) season tho, as they could return both goalies, every Dman & 10 of the 12 Fs (Filak, Kukumberg) which is awesome. Especially because not like those guys are game breakers/super dynamic producers. You could end up replacing them with even higher scoring, more dynamic Fs. Wainwright will be an elite OA, Young will be a damn good OA Dman, Fischer should be a monster at 19, recent draft class all 18 & in year 3. Upcoming class 17 & in yr 2.

And for once maybe just maybe they could string dare I say two (!!!) Good seasons in a row as the following year (26-27) you'd have Brown, Sim, Kostuch, Barr, Hurt, Bridgewater, Beamish, Luecke all being 19 with Chartier as OA with 2 more OA spots (Assume Fischer goes pro) open & the upcoming class which picks high all being 18 + whoever else they add by then.

Probably the best they've been set up for back2back good years probably since I started going (2008) truthfully.

Obviously tons of ?/ifs with how do guys develop, how they draft etc but it's pretty promising at least. Will start preparing for pure disappointment & heartbreak!
I think this is a fairly realistic looking depth chart (barring any major moves) and may be an exciting team to watch, but I don't necessarily see them competing with a core that young. Wish Letang & Co would give some of the younger guys more chances. Don't understand why someone like Way was being played on PP1.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Niagara is the biggest joke in the OHL. How do you even justify this to the fans? Give up two 3rd's and a 4th to London then 3 months later trade him for a 6th....

Attachments

• IMG_0409.JPEG
    IMG_0409.JPEG
    43.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0410.JPEG
    IMG_0410.JPEG
    56.1 KB · Views: 2

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I think this is a fairly realistic looking depth chart (barring any major moves) and may be an exciting team to watch, but I don't necessarily see them competing with a core that young. Wish Letang & Co would give some of the younger guys more chances. Don't understand why someone like Way was being played on PP1.
Oh I'm with you. I think next yr projects as another mediocre year at best. To young and we have no clue what the G position could be or how Beamish, Denney etc play at this level. But at least they should be much more exciting with all that youth compared to this team.

Niagara is the biggest joke in the OHL. How do you even justify this to the fans? Give up two 3rd's and a 4th to London then 3 months later trade him for a 6th....
I used to chuckle at some of the conspiracy theories or what not but u can't tell me London wasn't throwing Niagara some money.

Those deals between LDN/NIA are straight up embarrassing for the league. It's like Niagara is making it as obvious as humanly possible to by then trading guys they gave up great value for 15 games later for nothing

TheRailBird2

Oct 4, 2023
Oh I'm with you. I think next yr projects as another mediocre year at best. To young and we have no clue what the G position could be or how Beamish, Denney etc play at this level. But at least they should be much more exciting with all that youth compared to this team.

I used to chuckle at some of the conspiracy theories or what not but u can't tell me London wasn't throwing Niagara some money.

Those deals between LDN/NIA are straight up embarrassing for the league. It's like Niagara is making it as obvious as humanly possible to by then trading guys they gave up great value for 15 games later for nothing
You mean it is not normal to give up 3-3-4 for a player with 2 points in 12 games, get him on your team where he proceeds to get 7 points in 11 games, and then after those 11 games, he is only worth a 6th rounder? Well you do not qualify to be the IceDogs GM then.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
You mean it is not normal to give up 3-3-4 for a player with 2 points in 12 games, get him on your team where he proceeds to get 7 points in 11 games, and then after those 11 games, he is only worth a 6th rounder? Well you do not qualify to be the IceDogs GM then.
And there's actually ppl out here defending them. Biggest joke in the OHL currently.

Reactions: Ferda11

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Nice to see Saginaw take inspiration from us & go get every big name haha. Thank god we only have 1or2 games left vs them. They aren't gonna be pretty.

Speaking of not pretty. We have 30 games left. We play SSM X5, SBY X2, MISS X2, LDN X2, NB X2, GUE X2, SAG X1, OS X1, KIT X1 in 18 of those 30.

Left out games vs OSH who's been playing well, KGN who added, two vs Erie who's a solid team. That's 22 of the 30 lol.

6 vs FLT/WSR. Flint won't win much either so might come down to the 4 games vs them for the 8th spot lol.

Jason M

Nov 13, 2019
Nice to see Saginaw take inspiration from us & go get every big name haha. Thank god we only have 1or2 games left vs them. They aren't gonna be pretty.

Speaking of not pretty. We have 30 games left. We play SSM X5, SBY X2, MISS X2, LDN X2, NB X2, GUE X2, SAG X1, OS X1, KIT X1 in 18 of those 30.

Left out games vs OSH who's been playing well, KGN who added, two vs Erie who's a solid team. That's 22 of the 30 lol.

6 vs FLT/WSR. Flint won't win much either so might come down to the 4 games vs them for the 8th spot lol.
If that's r schedule why r we even trying to make the playoffs. Full sell Seca quit half a$$ing things.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020

Obviously Saginaw had to go all in since they're hosting the Memorial Cup but I do wonder if not upgrading in goal will hurt them this year. Oke's numbers (.891 SV%) are very similar to Gaudreau's last season (.889 SV%). They've put themselves in the same position as Sarnia last year where anything less than an OHL championship is a disappointment

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Only player that I'm mad at them not dealing is Sikic. The OA market is insane with guys routinely going for three picks in the first five rounds. I fully understand not trading more guys other than Sikic because they still need veterans to guide the young players and still have to have enough players to ice a full team

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Obviously Saginaw had to go all in since they're hosting the Memorial Cup but I do wonder if not upgrading in goal will hurt them this year. Oke's numbers (.891 SV%) are very similar to Gaudreau's last season (.889 SV%). They've put themselves in the same position as Sarnia last year where anything less than an OHL championship is a disappointment
I do question if they have the grit/size as well. Ton of skill. Just like us. Who's gonna win the board battles, screen the goalie, block shots etc.

Only player that I'm mad at them not dealing is Sikic. The OA market is insane with guys routinely going for three picks in the first five rounds. I fully understand not trading more guys other than Sikic because they still need veterans to guide the young players and still have to have enough players to ice a full team
End of the day who knows if he had interest. Part of his production has come cause he plays so much for a bad team. And I can reason with not trading him if it's not a fair offer (more then a 5th).

Realistically on an elite team he's a 3C. Do teams wanna spend a top 4 Rd pick or two on a OA 3C?

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
End of the day who knows if he had interest. Part of his production has come cause he plays so much for a bad team. And I can reason with not trading him if it's not a fair offer (more then a 5th).

Realistically on an elite team he's a 3C. Do teams wanna spend a top 4 Rd pick or two on a OA 3C?
Always really hard to judge when you don't know what was offered for Sikic. I agree that if he wasn't getting good value in return it's more worth it to keep him as a leader on a very young team

Reactions: StingUpdates

Jason M

Nov 13, 2019
As of now I could possibly see the Sting make 1 more trade with a forward. As it sit now I still think we need to move 1 of ZF TD or MS if we want Kostuch and Kukumberg playing top 6 mins. And I could see a team like OS call about NS who would be a slight upgrade from Votary. Plus I can't see Maillet getting any game unless we move NS. one I was thinking about the other day that I wouldn't mind seeing. Would be ZF,NS to OS for Waddick. Waddick is a proven goal scorer which is something we really need he's an 05 and he a local kid. Plus he hasn't done great in OS so a change of senory may be good for him. Plus we apparently tried to pick him up in the off-season before we got the twins.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Well before the year we talked about what we hoped they could recoup. We mostly hoped they could get one maybe two 2nds & maybe a couple 3rds & 4ths with Gaudreau, Vilmanis & we assumed Filak.

They come away getting
Carter Kostuch ('07 LW)
Alex Cajkovic ('05 import D)
Daylen Moses ('05 F)
Duncan Schneider ('05 D)
Kai Schwindt ('OA F)
Evan Maillet ('06 G)
2nd 2027
3rd 2024
3rd 2026
4th 2024
4th 2025
4th 2026
5th 2024
5th 2025
5th 2026
5th 2026
6th 2027
8th 2026

Out
7th 2027
9th 2024
7th 2025
Cond 12th (Maillet)
Cond 12 (2025 Moses)
Nolan Lalonde (Sting legend)
Ben Gaudreau
Carson Campbell
Sandis Vilmanis ('04 import)
Andrew LeBlanc ('04 F)
Jacob LeBlanc ('04 D)

That's 10 top 5 round picks + Moses who looks like a top 9 F for us now & up to 2 more years. See what Maillet becomes. I don't mind Schneider as a gritty depth Dmen.

Overall gotta be pretty thrilled. Never thought they'd get an '07. Thought they did very well in all the deals really, especially Gaudreau, Twins+Vilmanis deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad