Sarnia Sting 2022-23 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougie Daryl Clark

Nov 21, 2021
That is one hell of a win. I did not see that coming. Outplayed & outworked them all night.

I thought Fischer & Young were absolutely fantastic. Very very impressed with them. Daviault continues to play some awesome defence. Ritchie as always great but now he's out 2 games.. hate that rule. Should be if you jump the guy. 3 straight games a player has stuck up for another. Real good sign they are a close group.

96-93-36 were downright dominant. Toyed with MIS all night. Pastujov was super enthusiastic tonight. He was the only one to notice Young got his 1st point & grabbed him the puck. Was hugging & firing guys up in the final minute on the bench. Then obviously offensively he is sweet. exactly what this team needed. Game changer.

Another rock solid game from Gaudreau who's had 5-6 good starts in a row. Looks totally locked in. This is the guy we expected & he's in rhythm now.

Big ups to Filak too. 2 more Assists tonight, back2back multi-point games. 12 points in 18 games. 45 point pace is fantastic for a 3C who rarely plays PP. He works his tail off every single game.
Very solid win. Love how they closed out that win w boring defensive hockey. Dump and trap. I agree, when someone is defending a blindside hit you should not get an instigator. The instigator is the blindside hit. Top line was a force tonight. I like Pasta, looks like a sniper and good team guy.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I can't give this group enough credit/praise. They've been ravaged by injuries but they don't let it discourage them. They keep their head down & keep working.

12-6-4. 3rd in the OHL. They might lose a bit in the coming weeks with who's out & who will be out but when this team is healthy & playing how they can I'm telling yah they are a force that not many teams will wanna play. These young kids can play, too.

Can play any style a team wants to. Fast, physical, skillful, gritty, etc. Just gotta get some luck on the injury front & get back some of our horses.

Go get us another T6 F Seca along with a backup goalie & watch them roll.

Reactions: Ferda11

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Also, we gotta talk about Voit more. This dude is unbelievable. EIGHT Assists in his last 2 games. He has more ASSISTS than the 2nd leading point getter (Barlow) HAS POINTS. Lunacy.

8 point lead in the point race. Kids a superstar & an absolute treat to watch. He very well might be the best playmaker to ever come thru here. He's downright silly. Might get 80+ Assists.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Awesome game tonight! Outside of the few lapses in the back half of the first period that game was pretty much perfect. Top line dominated. Scored four of our six goals and drew a few penalties. After the game got to 3-2, the team played so well defensively. They gave up the one high danger chance to Karmiris late in the 3rd but the rest we're all from the outside. Gaudreau seems to be getting comfortable with seeing less shots. He has a .916 save percentage over his last 4 starts. Stupid by Ritchie at the end though, out for the rest of the weekend when you're already down five regular d-men. Oh well, next man up like it's been all year. We'll be in tough again on Friday night against Saginaw

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Very solid win. Love how they closed out that win w boring defensive hockey. Dump and trap. I agree, when someone is defending a blindside hit you should not get an instigator. The instigator is the blindside hit. Top line was a force tonight. I like Pasta, looks like a sniper and good team guy.
Right?? I'm fine with it if he had jumped him but both dropped them & it was a fair, equal fight.

This mouth guard stuff is a joke too. Daviault got it for sitting on the bench talking to his D partner.. Voit took it out to speak to the ref... like what are we doing here. It's one thing if it's out during play while your on the ice. But between whistles or while on the bench??

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Vilmanis was good but missed on a few non passes. Seems like he’s trying to do a bit too much. Still finds a way to pull off some crazy shit tho lol.
He seems like a really mellow/chill guy but at the end he was rather frustrated. Slammed the door & was shaking his head. Pastujov patted him on the head & said some stuff.

He's still playing good hockey. He's just missing the net after all the work he does haha. Kid has a sick set of hands & is fearless. Just needs to hit the damn net !! With how this L1 works wonder if he & Burke become a duo on L2. Could be fun.

Flyers 1st

Oct 12, 2015
Right?? I'm fine with it if he had jumped him but both dropped them & it was a fair, equal fight.

This mouth guard stuff is a joke too. Daviault got it for sitting on the bench talking to his D partner.. Voit took it out to speak to the ref... like what are we doing here. It's one thing if it's out during play while your on the ice. But between whistles or while on the bench??
Daviault carried the puck up the ice into Steelhead's zone ,got knocked down . I could see his mouthguard hanging out his mouth like a cigar. I'm sure he was warned before . Matt Tkachuk could never play in this age with his propensity for gnawing on the rubber

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Daviault carried the puck up the ice into Steelhead's zone ,got knocked down . I could see his mouthguard hanging out his mouth like a cigar. I'm sure he was warned before . Matt Tkachuk could never play in this age with his propensity for gnawing on the rubber
I couldn't see that from my spot. Just saw him on the bench talking when the ref came over & said #17 violation misconduct.

Haha no kidding. It's practically Patrick Kane's trademark. Auston Matthews does it a ton too. See if they stick to it or if it fades after a few weeks.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
8 point lead in the point race. Kids a superstar & an absolute treat to watch. He very well might be the best playmaker to ever come thru here. He's downright silly. Might get 80+ Assists.
As a Leaf fan gotta ask, is his game getting more projectable? He's struggled in camps prospect tourney's when every one is good/great OHLer.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
It'll be a tough decision for Letang when Burke returns. You can't go wrong reuniting him with Voit, but man this line with 93/96/36 is looking unbelievable.

I haven't seen a line for Sarnia put on a display like they did last night in years. It was complete domination vs a really good team. Some of the passing plays they were doing were spectacular to watch.

Pastujov is more creative than Burke & you pair that with Voit's otherworldly skill, creativity & it feels like teams have no clue how to guard them. They just completely overwhelmed MIS. In 2 games together they've put up 18 (!) Points as a trio.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
As a Leaf fan gotta ask, is his game getting more projectable? He's struggled in camps prospect tourney's when every one is good/great OHLer.
I won't lie he plays a style that'll be really god damn hard to replicate at the NHL level. He's pretty close to a boom or bust player.

The good thing is he has gotten better & better every single season. And not by little bits by a lot.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Won't lie i'm starting to do the thing you should never do when you support this team.. Believe/have hope, optimism... In part due to their play & aggressiveness to add but what teams around us are doing..

Saginaw is gonna sell off guys who won't be back as they hope to host next year. Windsor has fallen off a bit & will have a real decision to make. Could add & go for it again or build around some really promising 1st&2nd year guys. Their GM has stated a few times he doesn't like going all-in or setting themselves up for bad seasons.

Owen Sound is legit, but their GM today did an interview where he pretty much said the hell with trading draft picks & that he doesn't feel they need to add or go against their 2-3 year plan. Could change & he could be bluffing but that's how OS has sort of runs things for awhile.

KIT still has star talent but if this continues they surely have to sell. especially when they have two 1sts in the coming draft. GUE been the disappointment of the league. LDN, ER won't be adding. If anything might sell off to bolster their young crop.

could leave us & Flint as the 2 teams that are truly all-in or going for it. The door is wide fricken open for us.

Can't wait for the heartbreak!

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Dillingham back on the ice yesterday practicing with the team. I hope that means he is back in this weekend. Also hope they aren't rushing anyone back either. Curious what they do tonight for the blueline. Looking pretty scary. Think tonight's game will be an offensive showdown. SAG does not have much structure to their blue line and Sarnia's is completely devastated by injuries to top guys. Good ol' barnburner in the making!

Sting4ever

Sep 1, 2022
Dillingham back on the ice yesterday practicing with the team. I hope that means he is back in this weekend. Also hope they aren't rushing anyone back either. Curious what they do tonight for the blueline. Looking pretty scary. Think tonight's game will be an offensive showdown. SAG does not have much structure to their blue line and Sarnia's is completely devastated by injuries to top guys. Good ol' barnburner in the making!
That back end has been working their asses off! We have expectations from our vets but Fischer, Campbell, Young and MacDonald have given absolutely everything that has been asked of them, hopefully that continues tonight

Dougie Daryl Clark

Nov 21, 2021
Was
It'll be a tough decision for Letang when Burke returns. You can't go wrong reuniting him with Voit, but man this line with 93/96/36 is looking unbelievable.

I haven't seen a line for Sarnia put on a display like they did last night in years. It was complete domination vs a really good team. Some of the passing plays they were doing were spectacular to watch.

Pastujov is more creative than Burke & you pair that with Voit's otherworldly skill, creativity & it feels like teams have no clue how to guard them. They just completely overwhelmed MIS. In 2 games together they've put up 18 (!) Points as a trio.

IMO Voit and Pasta are too similar to play on the same line although Pasta is more of a shooter than Ty so could work. Sliding Burke back w Ty and having Sasha w Vilmanis and maybe Angus might make for a sick top 2 lines. A nice problem to have no matter what they do.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Fairly low expectations for this weekend, unfortunately. It's one thing to be down a few guys but we are quite literally gonna be down 5 of our 6 regular D tonight & tomorrow.

As Ferda said Wednesday, it's gonna be 2 rookies (who've been here under a month) & 2 sophomores as our only 4D. Outside shot Dilly is in but last thing we need is him to go right back out again.

Can honestly say I've never seen anything like it. Feels almost impossible to be down pretty much your entire defense core but here we are.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
forgot to post here following the Sting signing Fischer. So here it goes.

Sting have a first/early second round quality talent here. Obviously if it were known that he was thinking OHL (It was made clear at the time he was not going to come, and there were zero indicators he possibly would) he would have gone MUCH, MUCH higher in the draft.

Has good size, very good offensively, good skater that has good top end speed, can work a bit on his east-west mobility - has a cannon of a shot most notably and the will be a threat on the power play in due time. (We have already seen his shot in action lol) He needs some refinement with his defensive game - however most kids his age do - his size will give him an advantage going forward. He is going to be a VERY good defender in this league and will garner NHL draft interest next year.

Nonetheless - a massive get for the Sting - and it was without a doubt overshadowed by the Pastjuov trade that went down the same day.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Well we had the game well in control until those penalties. That Doucette call was absolute trash. MacDonell tho, idiot. Then he takes another idiotic one. Should be benched in the 3rd.

Gaudreau needed to save one of the 2. Neither bad but he just had too, especially when Oke is making some amazing ones.

Reactions: Ferda11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad