Sarnia Sting 2022-23 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Sting released the orientation camp roster. Interesting to see the younger brother of Ty Voit on the roster at LD, anyone know if he has his brother's skill set? that would be nice lol.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Sting released the orientation camp roster. Interesting to see the younger brother of Ty Voit on the roster at LD, anyone know if he has his brother's skill set? that would be nice lol.
He's a 5'8" Dman who had some decent numbers. Couple Americans on the roster. See if any push for a spot.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Thoughts from rookie scrimmage one starting with the goalies:

- Grover was excellent. He looked way more in control & positionally sound. Was 4for4 on breakaways. He looks massive in the net. Was exactly what I wanted to see.

- Karsen Chartier ('22 5th rounder) also showed well in net. Very good positioning & looked calm, poised especially for a 16 yr old.

- Nic Surzycia was really solid. Very quick, agile goalie.

- On D, Daviault looks physically stronger & a bit faster. Same with Owen MacDonald. David Green has a lot of good tools (Size, physicality, solid skater) to work with. Gives me Dillingham vibes. Campbell is a wonderful skater & moves it really well. Of the FAs Will Posthumus was the best on D. Huge kid who skates pretty well & threw some big hits. Is an '04 tho.

- Up front, Wainwright looked fantastic. His skating looks phenomenal. He put in work & it shows. Cooksey as advertised is a lot of fun. Had a 1G/1A along with 2 breakaways & had some sweet passes for grade A looks. Lalkin was dominant in the 2nd half. Has put a lot of work in his shot. Thing was coming off his stick hot. Still would like to see him be more engaged without the puck.

- Sean Doherty showed well. Great skater who plays with creativity. Kid has a ton of upside. Cameron Fries was very good. Very small but quick, elusive & has good skill. Martone had a filthy goal toe-dragging the D then pulling it backhand on the goalie. Very good passer. Soft, soft hands.

- I think we have something in Lucas Durham. 2022 13th round pick. He just turned 16 last week, 6'3", 170 Pounds. Very good skater, solid hands, shot. Impressed me at rookie camp after the draft & was a standout today. How he fell that far I don't know but he looks like a kid who should've went MUCH higher.

- PJ Alexanader ('05) & Tyson Doucette ('04) were the best FA Fs. Doucette I liked a lot. Wanna see more of him.

- I may as well change my username to Brayden Degelas hype train cause he was brilliant. He for sure had 2G/1A & might've had another point (I looked away & his line scored). Big kid, isn't a great skater but is good enough, has soft hands, sees the ice really well & has clearly put in work to his shot as he has 7 goals in the 3 games he's played (2/w Legionnaires, then today) this week. He played w/Cooksey & they dominated the scrimmage.

Overall was an entertaining game honestly. very physical which u don't always see in these. Pace was great. Definitely drafted a good skating group of kids.

Forgot to mention that they did do some stuff inside the arena. At the 3 concessions they renamed them to Stamkos's Station, Chychrun's Choices & The international stage that has Kyrou on the wall. The Stamkos area is really cool & well done. Who knows if they actually planned it but it is on the left side of the arena & Stammer's spot/station/office was that left hashmark/face-off area.

Last edited:

Jason M

Nov 13, 2019

- Grover was excellent. He looked way more in control & positionally sound. Was 4for4 on breakaways. He looks massive in the net. Was exactly what I wanted to see.

- Karsen Chartier ('22 5th rounder) also showed well in net. Very good positioning & looked calm, poised especially for a 16 yr old.

- On D, Daviault looks physically stronger & a bit faster. Same with Owen MacDonald. David Green has a lot of good tools (Size, physicality, solid skater) to work with. Gives me Dillingham vibes. Campbell is a wonderful skater & moves it really well. Of the FAs Will Posthumus was the best on D. Huge kid who skates pretty well & threw some big hits. Is an '04 tho.

- Up front, Wainwright looked fantastic. His skating looks phenomenal. He put in work & it shows. Cooksey as advertised is a lot of fun. Had a 1G/1A along with 2 breakaways & had some sweet passes for grade A looks. Lalkin was dominant in the 2nd half. Has put a lot of work in his shot. Thing was coming off his stick hot. Still would like to see him be more engaged without the puck.

- Sean Doherty showed well. Great skater who plays with creativity. Kid has a ton of upside. Cameron Fries was very good. Very small but quick, elusive & has good skill. Martone had a filthy goal toe-dragging the D then pulling it backhand on the goalie. Very good passer. Soft, soft hands.

- I think we have something in Lucas Durham. 2022 13th round pick. He just turned 16 last week, 6'3", 170 Pounds. Very good skater, solid hands, shot. Impressed me at rookie camp after the draft & was a standout today. How he fell that far I don't know but he looks like a kid who should've went MUCH higher.

- PJ Alexanader ('05) & Tyson Doucette ('04) were the best FA Fs. Doucette I liked a lot. Wanna see more of him.

- I may as well change my username to Brayden Degelas hype train cause he was brilliant. He for sure had 2G/1A & might've had another point (I looked away & his line scored). Big kid, isn't a great skater but is good enough, has soft hands, sees the ice really well & has clearly put in work to his shot as he has 7 goals in the 3 games he's played (2/w Legionnaires, then today) this week. He played w/Cooksey & they dominated the scrimmage.

Overall was an entertaining game honestly. very physical which u don't always see in these. Pace was great. Definitely drafted a good skating group of kids.

Forgot to mention that they did do some stuff inside the arena. At the 3 concessions they renamed them to Stamkos's Station, Chychrun's Choices & The international stage that has Kyrou on the wall. The Stamkos area is really cool & well done. Who knows if they actually planned it but it is on the left side of the arena & Stammer's spot/station/office was that left hashmark/face-off area.
Voglesberg is at Flints camp

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Thoughts from scrimmage #2:

- Wainwright is a stud. He was already a strong skater & he's taken it to an entirely new level. He absolutely burned Daviault on a rush but got stopped. Had 4-5-6 points on the day. Was the best player on the day. By a lot. It's gonna be tough to keep him on that 4th line.

- Cooksey had a hatty (I believe) which included a nasty goal where he deked around a prone Dman & ripped it top shelf. Immense skill but he'll have to be willing to do the other things to make it.

- Martone was all over the ice again. Had at least 2 points, maybe 3. Unfortunately he got hurt late in the 2nd period. Needed help off. Came back in the 3rd for a shift but left again. Fingers crossed its minor & nothing serious. be a huge Debby downer to start camp.

- Doherty has a pretty lethal shot. Showed it off twice one from decently far out that went bar down. Fun, fun player with top-end speed. He'll be in tough to beat out older guys but he's gonna come real close imo.

- Lucas Durham was good once again. Ill be keeping tabs on him quite often this season. As I said earlier I think we have something with him.

- Cameron Fries is a really fun player. Bit small but really quick & a big motor who isn't scared to go to the dirty areas while possessing some good skill. Could see him becoming something in a year or two if he develops well.

- Was a much sloppier game overall. Boys looked really tired as it went on. Had 2 practices + a 60 minute game earlier so understandable.

Dougie Daryl Clark

Nov 21, 2021

- Wainwright is a stud. He was already a strong skater & he's taken it to an entirely new level. He absolutely burned Daviault on a rush but got stopped. Had 4-5-6 points on the day. Was the best player on the day. By a lot. It's gonna be tough to keep him on that 4th line.

- Cooksey had a hatty (I believe) which included a nasty goal where he deked around a prone Dman & ripped it top shelf. Immense skill but he'll have to be willing to do the other things to make it.

- Martone was all over the ice again. Had at least 2 points, maybe 3. Unfortunately he got hurt late in the 2nd period. Needed help off. Came back in the 3rd for a shift but left again. Fingers crossed its minor & nothing serious. be a huge Debby downer to start camp.

- Doherty has a pretty lethal shot. Showed it off twice one from decently far out that went bar down. Fun, fun player with top-end speed. He'll be in tough to beat out older guys but he's gonna come real close imo.

- Lucas Durham was good once again. Ill be keeping tabs on him quite often this season. As I said earlier I think we have something with him.

- Cameron Fries is a really fun player. Bit small but really quick & a big motor who isn't scared to go to the dirty areas while possessing some good skill. Could see him becoming something in a year or two if he develops well.

- Was a much sloppier game overall. Boys looked really tired as it went on. Had 2 practices + a 60 minute game earlier so understandable.
Good insight. Thanks for reports. I heard the other Doherty, a FA on D looked good as did O'Toole. Any confirmation?

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Good insight. Thanks for reports. I heard the other Doherty, a FA on D looked good as did O'Toole. Any confirmation?
Thanks guys! Gonna miss tomorrow unfortunately but hope to see THURS which is main camp.

O'Toole was solid. Don't think he has big upside but looks like a strong, solid skating defender. Not a ton of offense tho he did have one nice wrist shot for a goal. I didn't see Doherty much. Might've just missed him.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015

How were the goalies in game 2? How was daviault and lalkin in game 2?

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
How were the goalies in game 2? How was daviault and lalkin in game 2?
Goalie weren't as good. Haha. Game was like 9-5. Grover didn't play (had 7 goalies so 1 is sitting each game)

Surzycia was probably the best in game 2.

Daviault didn't play much in either game. Think they wanted to see the other guys more. Definitely looks physically stronger & a bit quicker.

Lalkin started well then faded as the game went on. He's shown some nice things but still lacks that foot speed.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Goalie weren't as good. Haha. Game was like 9-5. Grover didn't play (had 7 goalies so 1 is sitting each game)

Surzycia was probably the best in game 2.

Daviault didn't play much in either game. Think they wanted to see the other guys more. Definitely looks physically stronger & a bit quicker.

Lalkin started well then faded as the game went on. He's shown some nice things but still lacks that foot speed.

Not too sure I give Lalkin any more than an exhibition game or two. He should be an obvious stand out amongst the orientation camp roster at this point. He's going to have to fight VERY hard to find a roster spot. He isn't on my starting roster....I am betting he isn't on a lot of anyone else's either lol.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Not too sure I give Lalkin any more than an exhibition game or two. He should be an obvious stand out amongst the orientation camp roster at this point. He's going to have to fight VERY hard to find a roster spot. He isn't on my starting roster....I am betting he isn't on a lot of anyone else's either lol.
He’s not on mine either

Reactions: Ferda11

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Not on my roster either

Reactions: Ferda11

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Gotta love our 2nd Round drafting. Lol. His shot looks great but without good speed & a willingness to go to the dirty areas he'll never get to shoot.

I'd have to agree with u guys. Doherty tho a yr younger is a bit bigger & faster + can play C. Degelas is 6'2/6'3 & passes really well. Cooksey is far more skilled, creative & a better skater.

McIntyre is huge & throws the body around, sticks up for teammates which we don't have a lot of up front. + if he improved (haven't seen him yet) he would actually be a very useful B6 F who u could put net front on PP.

Even Harper who probably isn't better than him but u can count on to always work hard, forecheck, be a nuisance. See how Lalkin does Thursday & Friday with the returnees. Gonna need to show he belongs.

SpaceMan81

Oct 16, 2021

While I applaud the detailed account of the scrimmage, I think a little context is required. Half the guys you mentioned are never going to play a game in the OHL. They looked good against other fringe OHL caliber players.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
While I applaud the detailed account of the scrimmage, I think a little context is required. Half the guys you mentioned are never going to play a game in the OHL. They looked good against other fringe OHL caliber players.
No for sure I tried to more so just describe how guys were playing (there style/how they play) so others had an idea of what we have in those players. Imagine everyone else was like me & haven't seen 90% of those guys play so wanted to give insight of what I was seeing from them individually.

It would've been worrisome had the returnees not been the best guys but wanted to note the steps it looked like they've taken physically (speed, strength/size)

Real camp begins tomorrow. Be fun to see who all took steps forward in their development & how some of the rookies measure up.

honeydripper

Mar 15, 2022
1662039007323.png

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Me too. I wasn't trying to undermine @Sting updates at all. Great insights into the team
It's all good. Understand what u were saying. I should've said for a few "reports" amongst this group or vs other 16s/17s.

On another note this has to be one of the weirder pre season schedules. Usually we play LDN pretty quickly, then WSR the following weekend.

This year we don't play LDN until 9th-10th then don't play WSR until 23rd-24th. Gonna be a ton of practice time. Definitely preferred the other way but least this should be good for getting systems/structure a bit more dialed in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad