Sarnia Sting 2022-23 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
When MacDonell scores it comes in bunches lol. Great to see. Voit & Pastujov are dancing today. Toying with Oshawa at times.

Lengthy 5on3 might get OSH back in it to start the 3rd.
Apparently the best tipper in the OHL. He had 3 goals today before he shot a puck himself lol. Also had 2 breakaways but didn’t look great on either of those. One lost the handle of for no shot and the other just put it right into Leavers pad

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Blatant Moore pushes the net off before we score. Not only should that count it should be a penalty. Awful call. Horrendous. A joke they didn't even review it. Was incredibly obvious.

And they tie it. Brutal. Need to go get a backup goalie. Surzycia ain't it. 2nd straight stop vs a bad team where he can't make a pivotal save in the 3rd.

Last edited:

optional22

Nov 20, 2022
Isn't it basic goalie training to have your stick on the ice.
Surzycia never has it down especially on face offs.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Have a game MacDonell!!! 4 Goals! Wow! Voit 4 Assists, Pastujov 3 Assists, Filak clutch goal + Assist.

Take 5/6 on the weekend. Deserved all 6 but definitely take it. Hopefully Burke & Campbell are alright. Campbell had to be taken to the hospital but returned to the rink later.

Definitely need to go & get a backup. He battles but Surzycia unfortunately isn't up to snuff in a yr when we wanna win.

Nice to see the PP look really dangerous today. Voit, Pastujov looked so dynamic together on it. Now they'll get some practice time on it, too.

Reactions: deeferg and Jason M

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Isn't it basic goalie training to have your stick on the ice.
Surzycia never has it down especially on face offs.
He's a really bizarre goalie for that stuff lol. Has a lot of odd tendencies. Seems like a great kid & he really battles but I hope they go add a better guy for this year.

Reactions: Jason M

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
well that was something lol.

MacDonnell are you kidding me? What a monster game. I really hope we don’t trade him, he is breaking out before our eyes.

We 100% need a back up. Gaudreau would have handled that easily I think, even if it meant 3 in 3. Obviously you have to go with Surzycia, but holy crap…make a timely save! Just one! Do we know what’s going on with Grover?

We really need Dillingham, Romeo and Hoover back. I truly believe this game would have ended in the 2nd period if we did. It’s a lot to ask of these young rookies. Now Campbell will likely be out as an option going forward. Broadcast said he went to hospital but did return to the building before the end of the game. Mast looked like he was beaten up all game too. That puck to the face probably didn’t feel great.

Good to see the power play click a few times. We really need that to be our catalyst. Voit with a few points was good to see after a few slow last games. Pastujov was struggling a bit even with the points. He looked a bit frustrated at times. Full week of practise with the new squad should help a lot.

5 of 6 points is pretty good considering all the injuries.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019

MacDonnell are you kidding me? What a monster game. I really hope we don’t trade him, he is breaking out before our eyes.

We 100% need a back up. Gaudreau would have handled that easily I think, even if it meant 3 in 3. Obviously you have to go with Surzycia, but holy crap…make a timely save! Just one! Do we know what’s going on with Grover?

We really need Dillingham, Romeo and Hoover back. I truly believe this game would have ended in the 2nd period if we did. It’s a lot to ask of these young rookies. Now Campbell will likely be out as an option going forward. Broadcast said he went to hospital but did return to the building before the end of the game. Mast looked like he was beaten up all game too. That puck to the face probably didn’t feel great.

Good to see the power play click a few times. We really need that to be our catalyst. Voit with a few points was good to see after a few slow last games. Pastujov was struggling a bit even with the points. He looked a bit frustrated at times. Full week of practise with the new squad should help a lot.

Agreed. Asking so much of Young & Fischer. Lukas has one practice under his belt & had to play a 3in3. Young one week of practice. All things considered I'm very happy with their play. Promising players.

As u said we just miss that stabilizing guy with Dilly out. Calm it down, move guys out of the way & all that good stuff. Romeo was playing good too. His length is missed for denying zone entries & breaking up passes

Missing Hoover's snarl down low too. Unfortunately he won't be back for some time. Was a good weekend for Daviault I thought. Played some really solid D. Ritchie was a stud. Mast still ailing but played well.

Love to see this weekend from L3. They played awesome & got rewarded. Let's hope this is the start of a really good line for us.

Also, hats off to the Sting bus! Looked like a great turnout & u could hear them over the TV. Love to see it!

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

Never seen an easier 4 goal game in my life watching OHL. 3 tips and a baseball style swing on the rebound. He scored 4 gaols and in total the puck wasn't on his stick for 1 second lol.

Here's the hit McIntyre got thrown out for. Campbell was fine when the hit happened but then ended up going to the hospital and the word at the arena was he had a seizure? Wasn't even supposed to play but drew in when Burke was a last second scratch.

Maybe both guys have gotten a million times better since they were in the East last year but if you're relying on Romeo and Hoover to be relied upon guys against good teams in a playoff run, I don't see that ending very successfully. Romeo is a good bottom pair guy. Hoover is a good 7th D-man who slots in if someone gets hurt. SAR should be very active in the D trade market if you ask me.

Reactions: HkyBeegs3

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Never seen an easier 4 goal game in my life watching OHL. 3 tips and a baseball style swing on the rebound. He scored 4 gaols and in total the puck wasn't on his stick for 1 second lol.

Here's the hit McIntyre got thrown out for. Campbell was fine when the hit happened but then ended up going to the hospital and the word at the arena was he had a seizure? Wasn't even supposed to play but drew in when Burke was a last second scratch.

Maybe both guys have gotten a million times better since they were in the East last year but if you're relying on Romeo and Hoover to be relied upon guys against good teams in a playoff run, I don't see that ending very successfully. Romeo is a good bottom pair guy. Hoover is a good 7th D-man who slots in if someone gets hurt. SAR should be very active in the D trade market if you ask me.

Romeo has improved rather drastically since arriving. Played really well in the playoffs & was playing steady & simple pre injury.

Hoover was playing really well. Lead the team in +/-. Realistically is a 3rd pair guy if our D is healthy. Just a typical physical defensive defenceman.

Reactions: dirty12 and Ferda11

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019

I'd say this was MacDonell's best game in the league. What a force he was today. 4G, 8 shots. Multiple breakaways including all the other things he does so well.

There's no chance I'd be trading him. He's exactly who u want in the playoffs. Heart & soul, gritty, fearless. 11 Goals in 21 games.

After starting his rookie year scoreless in his first 17 he now has 21 goals in his last 60 games primarily playing L3, limited PP. Easily one of my favorite players on the squad. His line w/Filak, Wainwright was our best this weekend.

I also thought this was Lantz best weekend in awhile. 2G/2A, +5. Stuck up for Burke, too which was nice.

Last edited:

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Echoing about Lantz….he does so many little things defensively and on the forecheck that help this team so much. He always makes that little extra effort to get a stick in the lane to deflect a shot or pass. Had a few really good defensive plays today that imo, saved some high quality scoring chances. What a pleasant surprise he has been.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Echoing about Lantz….he does so many little things defensively and on the forecheck that help this team so much. He always makes that little extra effort to get a stick in the lane to deflect a shot or pass. Had a few really good defensive plays today that imo, saved some high quality scoring chances. What a pleasant surprise he has been.
Yep. Does nothing flashy & doesn't stick out on the surface but he's just such a smart player. Great on draws, good on the backcheck, downlow/board battle & he does have some skill.

18 points in 21 games. I had some expectations but he's surpassed them so far. Been awesome. Who knows where we'd be at without him down the middle.

Reactions: Ferda11

Dougie Daryl Clark

Nov 21, 2021

I guess you've stood in front of a net before trying to tip a puck with someone cross checking you for two hours. So yes easy 4 goals

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Big ups to Fischer this weekend though. Got one practice in then plays some tough, good teams in WSR/BAR & OSH at the end.

Could not have been easy & he played legit minutes, especially FRI/SAT. Defended rather well & even got his first goal.

He has a lot of tools to work with. Doesn't seem to have one glaring weakness other than he needs to add some muscle. Skates well, moves it well & defended well. Played with a lot of composure which is what impressed me the most.

You look at who played this weekend & u have Daviault (17), Young (17), Fischer (16) all playing minutes then Campbell (16) today before getting hurt. The future looks bright on the backend & this experience with guys hurt will be really big for them.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Fischers speed looks like it needs some work. Maybe he was just tired, but I noticed a few times he was beat handily in a foot battle. Just appeared an tad extra slower than what I thought he would be. Definitely agree it was a tough spot for him to be put in. He handled it very well.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Fischers speed looks like it needs some work. Maybe he was just tired, but I noticed a few times he was beat handily in a foot battle. Just appeared an tad extra slower than what I thought he would be. Definitely agree it was a tough spot for him to be put in. He handled it very well.
Think that's why he played the least he did all weekend today. Maybe got a bit fatigued. He reminds me of Mast a bit at 16. More refined than Mast was at that age tho IMO.

Young has shown himself well too. Looks a bit timid offensively which I guess is expected. Not a great defender but seems solid at it. Really quick, fast skater & solid puck skills, passing ability. Don't think his upside is super high but could see him being a 2nd paid, 2nd PPQB as he ages. Definitely was worth a 6th rd pick.

Reactions: The Howler

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Wouldn't be surprised if they deal for a backup sooner than later. Small part due to Surzycia's play, but more so Gaudreau would be leaving DEC 7th or 8th for Canada camp.

We play Flint-Flint-Peterborough that weekend followed by Erie & Flint again before the break.

Unfortunately, Flint & Erie very likely lose nobody to the tournament. PBO likely just 2 guys (1 being Othmann) while we will probably be without Voit, Pastujov, Vilmanis, Gaudreau & Letang. Not ideal whatsoever we play 2 elite teams (one being a rival) 4 times out of 5 games we are without them pre break. Not like Erie is dreadful either.

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia
Never had a chance to watch the past three Games, can someone give me a scouting report on two new defenceman young and Fischer.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Would anyone entertain upgrading one of our OA spots? Obviously it would be either Dillingham or Ritchie. With the recent signings on D, it could be a possibility depending on how they progress over the next 1.5 months leading up to Christmas break and into the trade deadline early Jan.

Team still needs another bonified top 6. Logan Morrison from Hamilton would fit in real nice and knows a thing or two about championships.

Reactions: Jason M

Jason M

Nov 13, 2019
Would anyone entertain upgrading one of our OA spots? Obviously it would be either Dillingham or Ritchie. With the recent signings on D, it could be a possibility depending on how they progress over the next 1.5 months leading up to Christmas break and into the trade deadline early Jan.

Team still needs another bonified top 6. Logan Morrison from Hamilton would fit in real nice and knows a thing or two about championships.
I think someone else to consider is McConnell-Barker

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Never had a chance to watch the past three Games, can someone give me a scouting report on two new defenceman young and Fischer.
Still gotta see them a few more times to fully understand what/who they are at this level, but I'd call Fischer a complete defenceman. Big kid, moves it well & with confidence, played solid D in his 3 games. Rarely was the reason for a scoring chance. His top speed is solid but he needs to work on his acceleration/foot speed & overall strength. Just recently turned 16. Said this the other day but I get a lot of Mast vibes when he was a rookie for us but he's a bit father ahead than Mast was at 16 imo. A lot of upside/promise.

Young is a fantastic skater. Probably our fastest D in a straight line. Very quick feet & really solid puck skills. You can see his confidence growing with every game. Has started trying to generate more offensively. Defensively I'd just say he's average. He's been beat a few times. I don't see super high upside with him, but I can certainly see him becoming a solid 2nd pair, point producing Dman.

Both should be proud of how they've done. Each on short notice got signed to play legit minutes because of our injuries & have done so quite well. Each have some work to do, but their play has left me fairly confident that our defence is in a good spot for years to come with them, Daviault, Campbell as 4 youngsters already playing solid minutes.

Slow down there Dubas ! lol
hey now im not giving 10 mill out like candy 😂

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019

Certainly an idea. I'd absolutely love Morrison. him between Vilmanis & Pastujov would be better than most teams 1st line. Dude is a stud. I would not be trading Ritchie. No way no how. Dillingham depends on his status & Hoovers. With him gone our D would be~

Mast-Romeo
Hoover-Ritchie
Daviault-MacDonald/Fischer

That wouldn't be awful, but I wouldn't be anywhere near as confident as I would with Dillingham in it. If he had no injuries for me I wouldnt really put much thought into it, but with this reoccurring shoulder issue it definitely makes you pause & consider it. I'd still be leaning Zhilkin, Harrison, Arcuri & a guy I'm really starting to wonder about is Pinelli in KIT. They are a disaster right now & have two 1sts in the coming draft. Might be wise to just rebuild. I LOVE to get him though he'd cost a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad