Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Nine Mile Skid on a Ten Mile Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017

Three scouts are in attendance. Former Penguins coach Rick Kehoe, who is based in Pittsburgh is here (and is often here). The Chicago Blackhawks have a scout in attendance, but the interesting team here are the Buffalo Sabres.

The Red Wings play the Blackhawks tomorrow, so consider that a likely advance-scouting mission.

The Sabres, however, do not appear on either team’s schedule in the near future.

Reactions: SirBrad

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't really see anyone on Buffalo that the Penguins would be interested in. Buffalo has a ton of really unattractive pieces, whether it be due to the players being bad or the players being insanely overpaid. The closest thing that the Sabres have that the Penguins would be interested in is probably Reinhart, and he hasn't been able to play center in the NHL yet. Kane isn't a realistic target at all IMO, Pouliot doesn't bring anything the Penguins don't have already and the rest of the team just blows.

Reinhart is the only guy that makes sense to me for the Penguins to target. Thinking about how Rutherford liked Galchenyuk as a 3C option, I could see Rutherford also liking Reinhart as a 3C. He is very good defensively, so that's not a problem with him.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't really see anyone on Buffalo that the Penguins would be interested in. Buffalo has a ton of really unattractive pieces, whether it be due to the players being bad or the players being insanely overpaid. The closest thing that the Sabres have that the Penguins would be interested in is probably Reinhart, and he hasn't been able to play center in the NHL yet. Kane isn't a realistic target at all IMO, Pouliot doesn't bring anything the Penguins don't have already and the rest of the team just blows.

Reinhart is the only guy that makes sense to me for the Penguins to target. Thinking about how Rutherford liked Galchenyuk as a 3C option, I could see Rutherford also liking Reinhart as a 3C. He is very good defensively, so that's not a problem with him.

You know what they say about opinions . . . :faq:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You know what they say about opinions . . . :faq:

I honestly see nothing that makes me think Kane is a realistic target for the Penguins. From the attitude issues to the Penguins lack of trade assets and cap space to the Penguins need to add another center, I just don't view it as realistic at all. It doesn't seem like it's a Penguins kind of move.

Reactions: ncm7772

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I honestly see nothing that makes me think Kane is a realistic target for the Penguins. From the attitude issues to the Penguins lack of trade assets and cap space to the Penguins need to add another center, I just don't view it as realistic at all. It doesn't seem like it's a Penguins kind of move.

quote-you-see-things-as-they-are-and-ask-why-i-dream-things-as-they-never-were-and-ask-why-not-george-bernard-shaw-351305.jpg

Reactions: Shaffer

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

They’ve offered something for him (allegedly)

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I just hope if they're trading for Kane that they don't give up a lottery first and/or Sprong...too much

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

JR has been chasing Kane for awhile. People are obviously free to convince themselves he hasn't been if they don't like Kane, but JR apparently doesn't have that concern.

Reactions: KIRK

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Source for this or was this from KIRK?

Cole mentioned a protected 1st. Not sure where he got it from but he wouldn’t post it if he didn’t think it was somewhat legit.

They wanted unprotected.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Both . . . if you've been paying attention.

No I meant has someone else said this or was this just from you.

JR has been chasing Kane for awhile. People are obviously free to convince themselves he hasn't been if they don't like Kane, but JR apparently doesn't have that concern.

I basically won't buy it until it happens, that's the way I'm looking at it. It doesn't seem like a move I see the Penguins making, so I'm going to assume it's not happening until it would. I just don't see how it would work, unless Botterill is dumb.

ZAR, a 1st and a conditional pick seems reasonable for Kane, but I just don't see how you both make the cap work there and also add another center.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I'm not sure which would be more entertaining . . . Kane with today's Sid or Kane with today's Geno . . . :popcorn:

I basically won't buy it until it happens, that's the way I'm looking at it. It doesn't seem like a move I see the Penguins making, so I'm going to assume it's not happening until it would. I just don't see how it would work, unless Botterill is dumb.

I was going to comment on the logic behind this statement, but . . .

tenor.gif

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

ZAR, a 1st and a conditional pick seems reasonable for Kane, but I just don't see how you both make the cap work there and also add another center.

Most stuff doesn't happen that you end up hearing about, so that's just the nature of it and why I don't say much when I catch wind of something. The Pens trading Neal was about the only thing I hinted to the board about before hand TBTH because I was 99% sure...

But JR definitely has an interest in Kane, I can assure you of that. Having an interest and making a deal are entirely different things, and people should keep that in mind.

Reactions: KIRK

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I wouldn't mind if they give up Sheary for Kane. Haven't liked his game a whole lot this year so far....would kinda be interesting to see

Simon-Sid-Sprong
Rust-G-Horny/Phil
Kane-Jake-Horny/Phil

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I just see too many issues with acquiring Kane, and I'm not even referring to his attitude issues. I'm referring to everything else. How are you acquiring him? Based on past trades (mainly the Iginla and Hanzal trades), something like ZAR, a 1st and either another prospect or a conditional pick is probably close for Kane. However, that doesn't work with the cap. You can include one of Cole, Sheary or Hagelin, but that also requires Buffalo to retain salary. I also don't think anyone would want Hagelin and Buffalo wouldn't want Cole or Sheary that much. Sure, you can trade Cole or Sheary elsewhere and then use those picks for Kane, but adding those additional trades just makes any deals more complicated.

Botterill is the real wildcard here. On paper, I don't think many teams would be very interested in Sheary. He's not overpaid or anything like that, he's just an undersized complementary winger who is very streaky and very well could be a product of Crosby. However, Botterill was the guy that signed Sheary and Botterill saw what Sheary developed into. Botterill also has a liking for players he was familiar with, seeing how he added Wilson earlier this year. I could see Botterill liking Sheary, but I wouldn't say a deal could happen based on that. I could totally buy the Penguins wanting to start the playoffs with:

Guentzel-Crosby-Sprong
Kane-Malkin-Hornqvist
Rust-3C-Kessel
Hagelin-Sheahan-Reaves

My question is how do you actually accomplish that? I think to pull off Kane, Botterill needs to like Sheary and be willing to move Kane at $3 million for a package starting with Sheary. I don't see any other situation that would work. If Botterill likes Sheary, I could totally see something like Sheary, ZAR and a 1st for Kane at $3 million working. I think that's a perfectly reasonable deal and you still have the ability to use Cole as a trade chip for a center. If Botterill doesn't like Sheary? I don't see it working.

Reactions: ncm7772

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I think E Kane will end up a Pen.

Bjorkvist+2018 1st(protected+2019 3rd(becomes 2019 2nd if Kane reigns).

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Sheary, ZAR and a 1st would be for a signed Kane. Not a UFA one...

I could easily see a smaller deal for a Pouliot or Larsson tho...

But like i've been saying, Kane's the guy for me IF i'm JR, i strike while the irons hot here.
What i mean by that is, if other teams are wary of the guy and you believe you can turn him into a very important part of the team like JR did with Phil...I quite easily pony up whatever as long as Sprong or Jarry isn't involved.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I think the biggest issue of course is 3C. I really think Guentzel is being wasted there. He's has one goal in the last 17 games, lost seven of 11 draws and just isn't being afforded many scoring chances. We need to get him back on wing.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think the biggest issue of course is 3C. I really think Guentzel is being wasted there. He's has one goal in the last 17 games, lost seven of 11 draws and just isn't being afforded many scoring chances. We need to get him back on wing.

Agree....he's just not a NHL center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad