Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Nine Mile Skid on a Ten Mile Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Well, BJUG use to play center and did so rather well. I mean he's not even getting much ice time in FLA. Not even 15 mins per game. Doesn't get much PP time, 55% on faceoffs and is a plus 11 on takeaways.

Bjugstad isn't playing center this season because his lateral skating is awful. They are limiting his skating to north-south by playing him on the wing.

I agree with what Florida is doing with him. He needs to work better at his skating before he becomes a center again and until then he's best to play on the wing.

Keep searching for the 3C. The perfect fit from Florida would be Trocheck.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Didn’t think he was even mentioned. Only remember Kane and Max Pac.

I'm gonna make a prediction because I'm old, bored and tired. I'll predict we'll make a trade with two of the following teams. EDM, ARI and FLA. Not that those teams aren't logical, but I'll just throw it out there to pass the time.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Bjugstad isn't playing center this season because his lateral skating is awful. They are limiting his skating to north-south by playing him on the wing.

I agree with what Florida is doing with him. He needs to work better at his skating before he becomes a center again and until then he's best to play on the wing.

Keep searching for the 3C. The perfect fit from Florida would be Trocheck.

I can possibly see Bjugstad being available but no way could we get Trocheck. We'd have to give up the farm.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I'm gonna make a prediction because I'm old, bored and tired. I'll predict we'll make a trade with two of the following teams. EDM, ARI and FLA. Not that those teams aren't logical, but I'll just throw it out there to pass the time.

I’d scratch out Florida of any significant deal.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
This is what is happening. Expect it across the board for teams that are close or downright out of the playoff hunt.

It's proper asset management.

NHL Rumors: Detroit Red Wings and the Trade Market

This is why a deal with a team in the same circumstances makes the most sense.

The difference between Detroit and the Penguins is that Detroit has no real expectations of trying to win a cup this year. Not sure we should either... however with Crosby, Malkin and the depth we have, not to mention that we're the defending champs, we're in a very different place then Detroit.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Do prices at the deadline actually go up or by that much? Or does it just depend on the year?

Honestly? I don't think so. I mean it's all a gamble. Prices start really high, simply because the sellers have time on their hands. Right now Botts is asking for a 1st++ for Kane. Why? Because he has between now and the TD, and isn't under any pressure to sell now, and thus is free to ask for a sky high price in hope that some desperate GM will pay it. Where as the team buying is (in theory) under pressure to acquire that high end talent asap to try and win more games. However the closer you get to the TD... Botts loses the advantage that he has now (aka time), and his only play then is to play GMs off against one another. If he has multiple bidders bidding, and bidding seriously, he can use that to keep the price high. But I think the ask for Kane today will be less then what Botts receives when Kane is finally traded.

But then that's all dependent on supply and demand. Remember when Cammy was a Flame and Burke couldn't even get a 2nd for him? So instead of selling him cheap (I think the best offer he said he'd received was a 3rd+) he said FU to everyone and kept him. That year there were a bunch of quality forwards on the rental market, which drove down the prices for everyone. Anyone who sold before the TD would have received better prices then those who sold at/near the TD.

Bottom line? Prices can be all over the place. They'll start high, but there's zero guarantee that they'll stay there. And on the flip side... there's zero guarantee that they'll come down. It changes every year based on supply and demand and how desperate the buying GMs are.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm not buying the whole "prices go up at the deadline" bullshit. I remember JR saying he paid a little bit more because he didn't have time to wait for the deadline in trying to get some defenders we needed due to injury.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Are we going to be competing with anyone for a good bottom 6 centre? That might help the cost of acquisition stay down if/when they become available. More assets to get a better LW possibly a better bottom pair D man too. I’d try to clear Cole and Hunwick’s for picks to accomodate salary coming in.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Are we going to be competing with anyone for a good bottom 6 centre? That might help the cost of acquisition stay down if/when they become available. More assets to get a better LW possibly a better bottom pair D man too. I’d try to clear Cole and Hunwick’s for picks to accomodate salary coming in.

NYR and CBJ could both use a #3C. Less certain about the teams out west, but it wouldn't surprise me if at least one of them wanted one as well.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
NYR and CBJ could both use a #3C. Less certain about the teams out west, but it wouldn't surprise me if at least one of them wanted one as well.

I though CBJ had a bunch of 3C’s. That being the problem, less top 6 quality centres

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
How long are we going to sit around? I was in the glass half full category, but man JR has to speed some things up.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I though CBJ had a bunch of 3C’s. That being the problem, less top 6 quality centres

They have 2 players capable of playing as top 6 centers - Wennberg and Dubinsky. Wennberg was a 60pt center last year, and for years Dub was a 50pt two way guy. Both are struggling mightily this year. I also think Foligno has been playing center... however I haven't been paying enough attention to know how permanent that is, or how desirable that is. Same goes for Jenner (who's also struggled a lot this year). I think based on some of the struggles some players are having, they'd prefer a 2C vs a 3C... however based on cost to acquire and overall ability, I could see them cheaping out and just getting a 3C and hoping that between Dubois taking another step and some of their existing centers getting back to their previous levels, that they'll be fine going forward (next season and beyond).

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Do prices at the deadline actually go up or by that much? Or does it just depend on the year?

It depends.. the ask gets higher at times, and topend ufa talent is pricy... but if you don't get tunnel vision tgere are always cheap viable players that get buried by bigger names and get panic moved for a lot less than expected

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
It's around that time where we have to remind everyone that hacks are going to start putting Penguins in every rumour they can make up to get hits. Pretty much only the espn and cbc insider guys put out legit information. Almost everyone else is just making up whatever will get them the most hits. That includes supposed "pens insiders".

I think Bozak is an interesting case. Toronto is ready to move on from him, but I don't think they would want to help us out, and I'm not sure we have anything they need. They need a high end defenseman that can push everyone down their depth chart and that's about it. They have enough Cole's and the last thing they need is futures. I think they probably just hold on to the depth this season and let him walk rather than trading him.

Chiarelli and Bergevin should be sick of JR calling them by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad