Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Nine Mile Skid on a Ten Mile Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
We don't have enough unflawed ones to start handing them out unless we really need to :laugh: I don't know what Montreal's prospect needs are well enough to make any further suggestions.

Any Pens cap dumping starts and ends with Hagelin. 1 year left at 4m, still NHL worthy just producing nowhere near enough for justifying his cap hit. And while I understand that Montreal would want payment for a cap dump, it does also make me wanna see who else is selling where we don't have to.

Well, okay, some people are going to say Hunwick. 2 years at 2.25m, current forum whipping boy (haven't watched enough recently to know how deserved it is). But I'm not sure dumping him moves enough salary.

So at the TDL it's about a quarter of the season left.

On Pleks that is $1,5M in salary, but we retain 50% so your cost is $ 750 000.

We take Hagelin we take $1M remaining on his contract so you guys are $ 250 000 to the good , and can afford Pleks. We then carry Hagelins $4M next season.

So what is your best offer on Pleks ?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
How much for Pleks(50%) plus Byron? I know you would rather keep Byron but your GM is kinda...Pejorative Slured. Byron would replace Hagelins speed and we eat 1M.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
How much for Pleks(50%) plus Byron? I know you would rather keep Byron but your GM is kinda...******ed. Byron would replace Hagelins speed and we eat 1M.

We don’t need Byron. We have plenty of small wingers.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, I asked about FA though.
Do we need Jack Johnson though? We have Dumoulin, Maatta, and hopefully Oleksiak is moved to LD next year. But if JJ comes at a cost effective contract after we've finally dumped Hunwick, I'd be all for it. Like a 3.5m/yr for 3yrs type of deal. Then Crosby has his BFF and our D is pretty nuts on paper - Letang, Dumoulin, Maatta, Oleksiask, Schultz, Johnson, Ruhwedel/Corrado.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
We don’t need Byron. We have plenty of small wingers.
Byron is a Center as well, a very solid one at that. Byron is 5'9" but the guy plays bigger than that and he's a pretty nifty player at that. He can play LW/C, remember when people wanted Desharnais and he's even smaller? I'd be all for Byron, kid is fast and he would be a good C for the 4th line.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
How much for Pleks(50%) plus Byron? I know you would rather keep Byron but your GM is kinda...******ed. Byron would replace Hagelins speed and we eat 1M.

Either or. Not both. Then you have to waive someone you don't want to waive or the team doesn't want to waive (they love Kuhnhackl and won't want to lose Simon and don't want to move Reaves either).

I honestly am curious what they do when Rust and Rowney are back. Do you send Simon and Sprong down while they have rejuvenated Crosby? Do you move Rowney and rotate Rust in?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Do we need Jack Johnson though? We have Dumoulin, Maatta, and hopefully Oleksiak is moved to LD next year. But if JJ comes at a cost effective contract after we've finally dumped Hunwick, I'd be all for it. Like a 3.5m/yr for 3yrs type of deal. Then Crosby has his BFF and our D is pretty nuts on paper - Letang, Dumoulin, Maatta, Oleksiask, Schultz, Johnson, Ruhwedel/Corrado.

Is he a need? nope. But he would be a pretty good 3rd pairing guy under this team. Not a Schultz type, but he would get 25 points from the backend probably. The more puck movers that can contribute to going up the ice the better.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Either or. Not both. Then you have to waive someone you don't want to waive or the team doesn't want to waive (they love Kuhnhackl and won't want to lose Simon and don't want to move Reaves either).

I honestly am curious what they do when Rust and Rowney are back. Do you send Simon and Sprong down while they have rejuvenated Crosby? Do you move Rowney and rotate Rust in?

I'd waive Kuhn and send him to the AHL, would probably get claimed on waivers. Rowney can be used as an extra for injuries and when playoffs come. Byron as a 4C with Rust as an LW and Reaves as an RW would be ideal. Would leave Shea with Simon/Sheary and Horns. Malkin with Kessel and Jake? Crosby with Simon/Sheary and Sprong. Hagelin can be scratched, but probably wont.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Is he a need? nope. But he would be a pretty good 3rd pairing guy under this team. Not a Schultz type, but he would get 25 points from the backend probably. The more puck movers that can contribute to going up the ice the better.

It's a salary thing. His money issues are well publicized thanks to his terrible parents. I'm not sure where he stands right now in that regard, but the guy will probably play as long as he can in the NHL then KHL. But he's still a very solid player that can probably get around 4-5m/yr from some team (leafs if they have the cap next year, etc).

Cbj won't trade him to us unless they get Rust, we all know they really want Rust given the Expansion draft (and no, I would not do that trade) hoopla with Fleury, VGK, CBJ, and Pens.

Unless he really wanted to be a Penguin, I think even JR could make 4m work with some finessing and some shorter term contracts with some of our RFA's. But not if adding JJ means we lose Horny, which would be a horrible trade off.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'd waive Kuhn and send him to the AHL, would probably get claimed on waivers. Rowney can be used as an extra for injuries and when playoffs come. Byron as a 4C with Rust as an LW and Reaves as an RW would be ideal. Would leave Shea with Simon/Sheary and Horns. Malkin with Kessel and Jake? Crosby with Simon/Sheary and Sprong. Hagelin can be scratched, but probably wont.

Why don't you put the lines together and look at where the dust settles. Because something doesn't add up for me with that roster.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Why don't you put the lines together and look at where the dust settles. Because something doesn't add up for me with that roster.
Simon-Crosby-Sprong
Jake-Malkin-Kessel
Sheary-Sheahan-Hornqvist (probably this line, looks gross!)
Rust-Byron-Reaves (because Reaves is staying here no matter what)
Hagelin
Rowney

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Simon-Crosby-Sprong
Jake-Malkin-Kessel
Hagelin
Rowney
Sheahan isn't a 3C though, he's a 4C.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If the past few games have shown us anything it’s that Crosby, Malkin and Kessel playing well on separate lines is the best incarnation of this Pens team.

We control the puck, draw penalties for our insane PP to capitalize on and scare teams away from taking more of them.

I don’t care if it’s a center or winger or both, but find a way to make that feasible for a playoff run.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Byron is a Center as well, a very solid one at that. Byron is 5'9" but the guy plays bigger than that and he's a pretty nifty player at that. He can play LW/C, remember when people wanted Desharnais and he's even smaller? I'd be all for Byron, kid is fast and he would be a good C for the 4th line.

He hasn’t been a centre in the NHL. He’s taken 274 face offs (ever) for a 37% win. He’s listed at 162 pounds. If you’re bringing him in to be the 4C he’s not going to be cheap to get for that role (and he’s not a centre) and it means Sheahan is 3C.

They want Kessel on L3 but they don’t want it to be with Sheahan.

Last edited:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If the past few games have shown us anything it’s that Crosby, Malkin and Kessel playing well on separate lines is the best incarnation of this Pens team.

We control the puck, draw penalties for our insane PP to capitalize on and scare teams away from taking more of them.

I don’t care if it’s a center or winger or both, but find a way to make that feasible for a playoff run.

A lot of Kessels point total is derived from the PP. And his ES assist today was when he was out there with Malkin. Points are points, but our current third line isn't really producing.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

He's taken 36 faceoffs in 185 games with Montreal. In 130 games with Calgary, he took 168 faceoffs. He's a leftwing and not a center.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Sheahan isn't a 3C though, he's a 4C.
Doesn't matter how often you repeat it... the numbers say otherwise.
Simon-Crosby-Sprong
Jake-Malkin-Kessel
Hagelin
Rowney

Why? That line the few times they've been played together looked great.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
A lot of Kessels point total is derived from the PP. And his ES assist today was when he was out there with Malkin. Points are points, but our current third line isn't really producing.

Kessel was gunning the puck all over the place. Had a breakaway as well.

Find him a center who isn’t learning the position on the fly maybe.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
No as has been deminstrated to you ad naseum he is producing as a 3C just we have a giant hole at 4C that he would fill fantastically wihich would grant us an even better 3C

Agreed. The biggest legitimate point is that Sullivan doesn't seem interested at all in having Sheahan and Kessel playing on the same line. For that reason we need to find someone at least as good as Sheahan so that Sullivan will be more willing to put Kessel on his own line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom Hanks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad