Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Nine Mile Skid on a Ten Mile Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
And Boninos numbers last year were terrible! Can't we aim a bit higher? Seriously?

Let me be clear, relative to what we gave up Sheahan was a nice acquisition. I like him believe it or not. But I like him as a 4c.

Really? He had 18 goals and 19 assists.

We can aim higher but what we are not in a position to dictate what happens. Goals are good, realistic goals are better. You can keep looking to improve on a Plekanac up until the deadline. If we can’t at least we have decent centre depth.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Johansen and Drouin have 5 goals so you’d probably not want them either. ;)
Well, five is more than four, and because I want to be silly for a moment, I would suggest that they're scoring goals at a 25% higher clip.:thumbu:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I agree, but because we have Sheahan already in the fold I would imagine that Plekanec would complete our search in that regard. That's why when I see names such as that I get very skeptical as to what kind of team we'll have for the stretch run. We got to do better than such players.
I still don't think we're going to see anything significant until the summer. I just hope JR doesn't panic and spend assets on knee-jerk reaction type guys. Be patient and make the right moves as opposed to thinking a move here or there for guys like Sheahan and Plekanec is enough to fix this team. It's not, and thankfully, I think he knows that despite his mediaspeak recently.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Really? He had 18 goals and 19 assists.

We can aim higher but what we are not in a position to dictate what happens. Goals are good, realistic goals are better. You can keep looking to improve on a Plekanac up until the deadline. If we can’t at least we have decent centre depth.

But didn't Bonino start of the season really bad? Because I was speaking to that more than the end total. For most of the season he was MIA.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Well, five is more than four, and because I want to be silly for a moment, I would suggest that they're scoring goals at a 25% higher clip.:thumbu:

:laugh: Well at least you still have your sense of humour. We all would love a better centre but it’s unlikely so let’s get something now and if we can improve do it. If we can’t at least we’ll be solid.

I don’t want Rowney as a centre. He can be a wing (although not much room) and be a centre on the PK. He’s a #13

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I still don't think we're going to see anything significant until the summer. I just hope JR doesn't panic and spend assets on knee-jerk reaction type guys. Be patient and make the right moves as opposed to thinking a move here or there for guys like Sheahan and Plekanec is enough to fix this team. It's not, and thankfully, I think he knows that despite his mediaspeak recently.

I don't want JR to overpay all that much myself. I just hope that he's not gonna think a guy like Plekanec is the answer so to speak. I doubt he would but if we're slumming for such players that's a concern. TBH I'd rather stand pat.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
But didn't Bonino start of the season really bad? Because I was speaking to that more than the end total. For most of the season he was MIA.

He had 18 points in the first half of the season and 19 points in the second half

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I don't want JR to overpay all that much myself. I just hope that he's not gonna think a guy like Plekanec is the answer so to speak. I doubt he would but if we're slumming for such players that's a concern. TBH I'd rather stand pat.
I'd rather "overpay" for the right guy than spend less (but still part with assets) for the wrong guy.

The only asset I'm really concerned with losing is Sprong. I'd rather not move our 1st either, but if the deal is right I wouldn't put anyone outside of Sid and Geno off limits. That being said, it'd have to be a ridiculous return for me to move Sprong, Guentzel or Murray (out of the young, valuable assets).

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
He had 18 points in the first half of the season and 19 points in the second half

I don't remember him being much of a factor last season. The thing that sticks out to me is his 15=16 playoff performance, beyond that he was just ok.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
What about a package deal from Edmonton? Sheary, a 1st, and 2nd tier prospect like Bjorkvist or Lauzon for Maroon and Letestu? They get a winger signed more long term, plus some rebuilding blocks?

Then we can run:
Guentzel Sid Sprong
Maroon Malkin Kessel
Simon Letestu Hornqvist
Hagelin Sheahan Rust

It's not quite getting Matt Duchene, but we get two pieces that we're needing for relatively cheap: a scoring 3c and a righty at that, and a left wing with size.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
He wasn't all that effective until the playoffs.

He was at a new club to start then got injured and had a crap coach. When Sully took over Bonino had 23 points in 35 games.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
He wasn't all that effective until the playoffs.

He put up 29 points in 63 games. That's a 37pt pace - which incidentally is what he put up in 16/17. If that's not "effective" for a #3C then you have some incredibly unrealistic expectations for that position in general. But then we already know that. We also know that he spent the latter half of 15/16 with Kessel as his main winger and I'm fairly certain that when things were all said and done, Kessel was his #1 winger for the 15/16 RS. We know that was the case for 16/17.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'd rather "overpay" for the right guy than spend less (but still part with assets) for the wrong guy.

The only asset I'm really concerned with losing is Sprong. I'd rather not move our 1st either, but if the deal is right I wouldn't put anyone outside of Sid and Geno off limits. That being said, it'd have to be a ridiculous return for me to move Sprong, Guentzel or Murray (out of the young, valuable assets).

I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment and premise. It would have to be a ridiculous offer to give up Sprong, Guentz or MM. I can't see any viable trade for those three that I'd entertain.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
He was at a new club to start then got injured and had a crap coach. When Sully took over Bonino had 23 points in 35 games.
So in the latter part of the 15-16 he caught fire. I guess that's what I was speaking to. That's also when Kessel played quite a few games with him leading into the playoffs AKA HBK.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I agree, but because we have Sheahan already in the fold I would imagine that Plekanec would complete our search in that regard. That's why when I see names such as that I get very skeptical as to what kind of team we'll have for the stretch run. We got to do better than such players.

cygnus47 asked for some names. Care to provide any?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
He put up 29 points in 63 games. That's a 37pt pace - which incidentally is what he put up in 16/17. If that's not "effective" for a #3C then you have some incredibly unrealistic expectations for that position in general. But then we already know that. We also know that he spent the latter half of 15/16 with Kessel as his main winger and I'm fairly certain that when things were all said and done, Kessel was his #1 winger for the 15/16 RS. We know that was the case for 16/17.

Yeah Kessel played with him, and?

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
So in the latter part of the 15-16 he caught fire. I guess that's what I was speaking to. That's also when Kessel played quite a few games with him leading into the playoffs AKA HBK.

Yeah for sure. Bonino is a good 3C. Good history of production in both regular season and playoffs (outside of Pitt) Smart, can play with talent, goes to the net, good defensively, scores goals (clutch ones too).

I’m not sure why we are talking about him anymore :laugh: let’s move on.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
What about a package deal from Edmonton? Sheary, a 1st, and 2nd tier prospect like Bjorkvist or Lauzon for Maroon and Letestu? They get a winger signed more long term, plus some rebuilding blocks?

LOL what the f***!? I wouldn't move Sheary alone for both of t hose players... or the 1st, let alone both of them AND a 2nd AND a prospect.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah for sure. Bonino is a good 3C. Good history of production in both regular season and playoffs (outside of Pitt) Smart, can play with talent, goes to the net, good defensively, scores goals (clutch ones too).

I’m not sure why we are talking about him anymore :laugh: let’s move on.

Fine with me, I don't think I'm the one who brought him up. lol

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

Then we can run:
Guentzel Sid Sprong
Maroon Malkin Kessel
Simon Letestu Hornqvist
Hagelin Sheahan Rust

It's not quite getting Matt Duchene, but we get two pieces that we're needing for relatively cheap: a scoring 3c and a righty at that, and a left wing with size.

I’d want Strome with Maroon. I’d do Sheary with a 2nd. Not the 1st though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad