Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Nine Mile Skid on a Ten Mile Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I understand that but Cole to me doesn’t seem like a quality player this season though. I’d have him as our #7 right now (Hunwick #8)

Cole is the kind of player than gets better in the playoffs because referees stop calling penalties for anything short of attempted murder.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It’s even instead of gaining an asset when they could.

The Penguins aren't going to trade Cole for a 2nd and then do nothing else. It's either trade Cole and bring in Plekanec (or someone else) or not trade Cole. Purely selling at the deadline is something the Penguins never do. Just trading Cole and bringing nothing in to help now is almost an impossible scenario. It just won't happen. They're not going to trade Cole for a 2nd just to sit on that 2nd for a mythical "long term solution" that would somehow be available for a 2nd rounder.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Cole is the kind of player than gets better in the playoffs because referees stop calling penalties for anything short of attempted murder.

I read penalties went up slightly last off season compared to regular season.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
But who is going to give up a more long term solution for a 2nd round pick? There's like no one available right now, especially not for just a 2nd.
I'd use it as part of a package. I'd imagine a 2nd is more attractive to more teams than Cole anyway. Less difficult to manage cap-wise, roster-wise, more teams would want the raw asset as opposed to those who simply need depth d-men, etc.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I'd use it as part of a package. I'd imagine a 2nd is more attractive to more teams than Cole anyway. Less difficult to manage cap-wise, roster-wise, more teams would want the raw asset as opposed to those who simply need depth d-men, etc.

Yes, but then you're not "sitting on/saving it till the summer when you can get a long term solution" either - which was what the post was responding to.

Personally, if Montreal said they wanted a 2nd for Pleks or Danault at 50% and I knew I could get Cole moved for a 2nd+, I'd ship Cole out tomorrow (ideally to the West, or at least not TB/WSH), and then send the picks off to Montreal for the C. If we end up with an extra pick/asset out of it, so much the better... but I care much more about bringing in another quality center (aka someone close to Sheahan's ability at the low end) then I do about having an extra pick or two come June.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Not a big fan of Plekanec, but, would make the deal under two circumstances....1. 50% retention and 2. Habs get Hunwick in return.

Plekanec is not my first choice. But out of all who is realistically available at a semi reasonable cost... who do you like better? I mean if you're looking at a rental, you do not have too many options... and Pleks is likely in the top 3-4 of those.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If we can't do better than Plekanec then we are in a hell of a lot of trouble! Dear God in heaven!

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Not a big fan of Plekanec, but, would make the deal under two circumstances....1. 50% retention and 2. Habs get Hunwick in return.

I might actually do that because Hunwick would scare even the bravest of souls! He's so bad I get physically sick watching him play defense.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Yes, but then you're not "sitting on/saving it till the summer when you can get a long term solution" either - which was what the post was responding to.

Personally, if Montreal said they wanted a 2nd for Pleks or Danault at 50% and I knew I could get Cole moved for a 2nd+, I'd ship Cole out tomorrow (ideally to the West, or at least not TB/WSH), and then send the picks off to Montreal for the C. If we end up with an extra pick/asset out of it, so much the better... but I care much more about bringing in another quality center (aka someone close to Sheahan's ability at the low end) then I do about having an extra pick or two come June.
It's not about having the picks to take guys in the draft, it's about the availability of a wider range of players, typically of better quality, during the summer. Teams aren't worried about potentially making the playoffs, so moving a significant guy is more likely in the off-season.

I'm not getting the 2nd to use at the draft, I'm getting the 2nd to use as part of a package to land a better, more long-term solution than Plekanec. I'd rather get the 2nd to trade when better guys are available than to simply flip it for Plekanec just because. I'd like Plekanec, I think he's about as close to Cullen as we're gonna get for a 4C, but I think we can (and should) do much better for that 3C spot--specifically with regard to a guy who is going to be around for a while.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
If we can't do better than Plekanec then we are in a hell of a lot of trouble! Dear God in heaven!

Not really, solves our centre issue and the minimum I think we’d need is a physical LW as well. Trading has been hard this season

If we can make upgrades at the deadline sure but we certainly do not want Rowney playing centre with Kuhnhackl and Reaves. Sully will hardly play them because together they aren’t good.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Not really, solves our centre issue and the minimum I think we’d need is a physical LW as well. Trading has been hard this season

If we can make upgrades at the deadline sure but we certainly do not want Rowney playing centre with Kuhnhackl and Reaves. Sully will hardly play them because together they aren’t good.

What are you doing Tom? Are you trying to kill me? I believe that might be the case.:mad:

Plekanec? Is he better than nothing? I guess, but damn, we got to do better than that I mean, what the hell is going on. Sheahan 4 goals this season, Plekanec 4 goals this season, is this what you want? Really?:confused:

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
It's not about having the picks to take guys in the draft, it's about the availability of a wider range of players, typically of better quality, during the summer. Teams aren't worried about potentially making the playoffs, so moving a significant guy is more likely in the off-season.

I'm not getting the 2nd to use at the draft, I'm getting the 2nd to use as part of a package to land a better, more long-term solution than Plekanec.

We already have a 2nd for that. A second won’t be the difference. If a trade can be worked out it will be worked based on other stuff.

What if there are no deals again next off season for a centre?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If these are the types of players we might be topping out at then I do believe most NHL teams hate us. I mean they must really hate us!

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
What are you doing Tom? Are you trying to kill me? I believe that might be the case.:mad:

Plekanec? Is he better than nothing? I guess, but damn, we got to do better than that I mean, what the hell is going on. Sheahan 4 goals this season, Plekanec 4 goals this season, is this what you want? Really?:confused:

He's on the exact same ES goal pace Bonino had in 16/17 and is on a better pace then NB had in 15/16. Didn't hear any complaints about that being an issue - especially after the fact when most of this board cried about needing someone who at the bare minimum could replicate Bonino's numbers. Sheahan is - while not having Kessel stapled to his wing AND while getting much harder zone starts.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008

To be fair, I think it's less about Plekanec's stats and more about his potential fit with this team. If we could land him with a hefty amount of his salary retained, I would welcome the guy's speed, ability in the faceoff circle and two-way play. But again, I would want him to be our 4C, so we'd still need to find that elusive 3C as well as another left winger with scoring punch for the top-6.

We already have a 2nd for that. A second won’t be the difference. If a trade can be worked out it will be worked based on other stuff.

What if there are no deals again next off season for a centre?
Assets are assets. A 2nd may not be a hugely valuable asset, but it's something, and the more assets we have the better our chances at landing significant players who can right the issues this team's facing.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
To be fair, I think it's less about Plekanec's stats and more about his potential fit with this team. If we could land him with a hefty amount of his salary retained, I would welcome the guy's speed, ability in the faceoff circle and two-way play. But again, I would want him to be our 4C, so we'd still need to find that elusive 3C as well as another left winger with scoring punch for the top-6.

But if we brought in Plekanec I don't think we'd bring in another player for 3C.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
But if we brought in Plekanec I don't think we'd bring in another player for 3C.
That's a problem then. Plekanec fits the mold of someone like Cullen pretty well, but he's also rapidly declining in effectiveness and is already north of 35. He can still be very effective here, I think, but he's going to need sheltered, specific minutes in order to get the most out of the guy. You don't get that sort of player to be your 3C imo.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
He's on the exact same ES goal pace Bonino had in 16/17 and is on a better pace then NB had in 15/16. Didn't hear any complaints about that being an issue - especially after the fact when most of this board cried about needing someone who at the bare minimum could replicate Bonino's numbers. Sheahan is - while not having Kessel stapled to his wing AND while getting much harder zone starts.

Let me be clear, relative to what we gave up Sheahan was a nice acquisition. I like him believe it or not. But I like him as a 4c.

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

Johansen and Drouin have 5 goals so you’d probably not want them either. ;)

Like coach and rip say it’s about fit and cost to (potentially) acquire. Plekanac is not my first choice not because he’s not good but he’s a UFA we won’t re sign. His caliber of C might be all we are able to get.

He’s around the same level as Sheahan. I think Plekanac would fit better on our third (Sully will probably trust him more offensively too). Sheahan has been great on the 4th line actually helping them get scoring chances and maintain O zone time. If they can do that regularly, minutes could be shared a little more and at least they can put pressure on the opposition.

I think Plekanac is a better fit with Kessel. With another LW, Plekanac and Phil on L3 we can stretch the opposition and actually make life tough on them again.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
That's a problem then. Plekanec fits the mold of someone like Cullen pretty well, but he's also rapidly declining in effectiveness and is already north of 35. He can still be very effective here, I think, but he's going to need sheltered, specific minutes in order to get the most out of the guy. You don't get that sort of player to be your 3C imo.

I agree, but because we have Sheahan already in the fold I would imagine that Plekanec would complete our search in that regard. That's why when I see names such as that I get very skeptical as to what kind of team we'll have for the stretch run. We got to do better than such players.

Reactions: Coach John McGuirk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad