Saginaw Spirit 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Here is Connor Bedard waltzing over the blueline with his head down... result... broken jaw... clean hit.

Was he targeted by Bredan Smith??? What do you think..., but a penalty was not called. And forbid what went on after?

The problem is he has played non contact junior hockey and has received a broken jaw as the result of... lack of "dinasaur play" in the OHL today. Welcome to the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: HF92

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Pin is totally on board with whatever the Spirit do. He and Bsc have "Pride" in the team. been down that road with both of them..

Last edited:

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby

2 games like most thought. Hope he learns to be better than this.

Agree, we all have done stupid crap on the ice. He has to be accountable for his actions and learn, he is very talented hope he can move on and continue to work on his game.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Here is Connor Bedard waltzing over the blueline with his head down... result... broken jaw... clean hit.

Was he targeted by Bredan Smith??? What do you think..., but a penalty was not called. And forbid what went on after?

The problem is he has played non contact junior hockey and has received a broken jaw as the result of... lack of "dinasaur play" in the OHL today. Welcome to the NHL.

I’d bet that hits illegal within 10 years tops in the NHL. Fans pay to watch players like Bedard. No one’s spending thier hard earned money watching players like Smith. NHL is a business after all. CTE lawsuits and further science on concussions is only going to eliminate contact faster when it costs the NHL money.

We don’t have to agree, but the writings on the wall.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
The problem is he has played non contact junior hockey and has received a broken jaw as the result of... lack of "dinasaur play" in the OHL today. Welcome to the NHL
I can't connect these dots. Lindros grew up playing in the "old" OHL n received several conkys playing pro.
I'll wager players from the 70s/80s OHL also received broken jaws, head injuries ect even after playing in the dinosaur league under Wayne Maxner ;)
I'm not a big fan of fights anymore, used to be but that's not my point here.
Just hard to see the correlation in the statement in this post.

Carry on all.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
I’d bet that hits illegal within 10 years tops in the NHL. Fans pay to watch players like Bedard. No one’s spending thier hard earned money watching players like Smith. NHL is a business after all. CTE lawsuits and further science on concussions is only going to eliminate contact faster when it costs the NHL money.

We don’t have to agree, but the writings on the wall.
So in your view all contact is going to be out of the game?

Does that mean slapshots are eventually going to be out of the game because if someone takes a slapshot, hits someone in the head and it causes a career ending concussion (Bryan Little/Scott Stevens) they'll be able to sue the NHL?

The fact is hockey is a contact game - injuries are going to happen. Should we try and limit them and take as many precautions as we can? Absolutely, but you can't protect everyone from everything.

FrontalLobe

Feb 23, 2023
Exactly what most rational people were assuming he’d get. I said all along a couple of games was deserved.
Suspension should have been longer and enforced immediately. That act says a lot about a person's character.

Can you imagine if the situation was reversed and a Front's player had spit on Parekh???? There would be an inquest resulting in a lengthy suspension and subsequent sensitivity training. And the Saginaw fans passing it off as "just a dumb kid mistake" would want the book thrown at the Fronts player.

And is spitting on a person not considered a gross misconduct?

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
I can't connect these dots. Lindros grew up playing in the "old" OHL n received several conkys playing pro.
I'll wager players from the 70s/80s OHL also received broken jaws, head injuries ect even after playing in the dinosaur league under Wayne Maxner ;)
I'm not a big fan of fights anymore, used to be but that's not my point here.
Just hard to see the correlation in the statement in this post.

Carry on all.

I cite one example to prove the point that nothing has change,..Bedard.
The problem is simple. You all want to see talented offensive hockey played. We love the slick moves and passes, and so do I. BUT!!! The fans want contact.

Playing that style of game exclusively in Juniors and the NCAA leads to bad habits, looking down, assuming that you won't get hit, not being totally aware of where you are going.
Every year young players fortunate to enter the NHL suffer injuries because they have been groomed to a style of play non condusive to the realities of physical play.

A concussion knows no physical boudaries having had one in a simple fall into the boards in a rec league. Many will say that is why I rant...

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
So in your view all contact is going to be out of the game?

Does that mean slapshots are eventually going to be out of the game because if someone takes a slapshot, hits someone in the head and it causes a career ending concussion (Bryan Little/Scott Stevens) they'll be able to sue the NHL?

The fact is hockey is a contact game - injuries are going to happen. Should we try and limit them and take as many precautions as we can? Absolutely, but you can't protect everyone from everything.

My guess is will be any contact to the head on a check equals penalty, not just principle point of contact. With stiffer penalties for repeat violators. Similar Rules are already being implemented in juniors and will trickle upwards. CHL is a developmental league of course, so they will test rules there first. I remember not that long ago there was a Windsor player who wanted to fight 100 times in a season. So the OHL limited to 10 fights now 3. Now the Q has banned fighting all together and that’s all in the last few years. So contact will be allowed but will be limited

Funny you mention slap shots though, just read an article that they are at like an all time low because the data shows they are one of the worst shots you can take statistically and a slower more accurate wrist shot/snap shots is where the games heading. Further evolution of the game

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Can you imagine if the situation was reversed and a Front's player had spit on Parekh???? There would be an inquest resulting in a lengthy suspension and subsequent sensitivity training. And the Saginaw fans passing it off as "just a dumb kid mistake" would want the book thrown at the Fronts player.
FYI there was one (1) Saginaw fan bcsprague who downplayed it a little but still said he should be suspended 1-2 games. Every other Saginaw fan said it was bad and he should be majorly punished.

I am not a Zayne fan...he's immensely talented but I don't appreciate his style on the ice. That said, while Zayne does a lot of stupid stuff on the ice, he's never been disciplined for it so while it may seem like he's done a lot, he's a first-time offender in the eyes of OHL discipline.

Oh, and it actually is "just a dumb kid mistake" but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be punished. It will be up to him if he decides to do this (or something like this) again and if he does (I'm guessing he will) the Saginaw fans will be just fine with a longer suspension.

I've said that I think we should trade him in the offseason which won't happen but he should be traded after Christmas because he'll bring back a huge return and we don't have to put up with his antics anymore. Again, huge talent but I just don't like the baggage that comes with it.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
The problem is simple. You all want to see talented offensive hockey played. We love the slick moves and passes, and so do I. BUT!!! The fans want contact.

Playing that style of game exclusively in Juniors and the NCAA leads to bad habits, looking down, assuming that you won't get hit, not being totally aware of where you are going.
Every year young players fortunate to enter the NHL suffer injuries because they have been groomed to a style of play non condusive to the realities of physical play.

A concussion knows no physical boudaries having had one in a simple fall into the boards in a rec league. Many will say that is why I rant...

Again I can't connect dots. "You all want to see"....lol I like physical hockey. So you're assumption is wrong. But whatever fits your narrative.
One example doesn't prove a point. We could go back n forth with single examples. Game has changed.
Again people that played 20/30 years ago also got caught on the tracks in the past. Fighting did clothing to stop it. Nor did physical play at lower levels. Revionist, false thinking.
Players have always got injured and not exclusively because of your reasoning.
Yes kids could learn to take a hit better in lower leagues but Bedard is a bad example cause the opponents st lower levels couldn't skate, anticipate........the game at his level. Kids tried and hurt their team looking to run him. It happens , always have. Game also had "rats, shift disturbed, pests"....even with the old school rules kids don't assume they can't get hit, and that's coming from being on benches with kids.
If ya think not, no worries here. Agree to disagree.
Just can't connect your dots based on watching the game as you have for years

Last edited:

rve24

Oct 26, 2022

Fans want contact?......fans wanted death in bull fighting and gladiator games as well. Should we appease their wants at the sacrifice of the participants. Odd.
I preached standing up for yourself, battling, playing hard and as a trainer, and still do now, but things change.

Anyhow, spitting at an opponent is weak IMO and this player has walked the line on suspect plays previously. Hopefully he learns without vigilanty justice.

Reactions: Section 103

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
And is spitting on a person not considered a gross misconduct?
Can’t argue with that point as l agree it is gross misconduct in my books. It’s a done deal and Zayne has to mature and prove as others have it is very possible to change.
No hitting in the NHL in10 years is a game l don’t want to watch. Love to see talent but hockey is an emotional game that will always have contact, cement heads, aggressive coaches and l don’t know if that would ever change?
Bottom line Parekh must learn self discipline to control his obvious issues. With the proper guidance l can see him concentrating on his off the chart talent he possesses. Just cut the BS out of his game

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
FYI there was one (1) Saginaw fan bcsprague who downplayed it a little but still said he should be suspended 1-2 games. Every other Saginaw fan said it was bad and he should be majorly punished.

I am not a Zayne fan...he's immensely talented but I don't appreciate his style on the ice. That said, while Zayne does a lot of stupid stuff on the ice, he's never been disciplined for it so while it may seem like he's done a lot, he's a first-time offender in the eyes of OHL discipline.

Oh, and it actually is "just a dumb kid mistake" but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be punished. It will be up to him if he decides to do this (or something like this) again and if he does (I'm guessing he will) the Saginaw fans will be just fine with a longer suspension.

I've said that I think we should trade him in the offseason which won't happen but he should be traded after Christmas because he'll bring back a huge return and we don't have to put up with his antics anymore. Again, huge talent but I just don't like the baggage that comes with it.

And the entire time I said it was dumb to do and he deserves the suspension. Just disagree it’s worse than things like headshots that can end careers and that people wishing him physical harm for doing that were Neanderthals

Reactions: DWI Dale

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
And the entire time I said it was dumb to do and he deserves the suspension. Just disagree it’s worse than things like headshots that can end careers and that people wishing him physical harm for doing that were Neanderthals

Maybe a bit worse than ‘euro’? Spitting is a physical indignity.
The recipient will not believe the punishment of two games and being allowed to showcased in the CHL prospects game is sufficient.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Again I can't connect dots. "You all want to see"....lol I like physical hockey. So you're assumption is wrong. But whatever fits your narrative.
One example doesn't prove a point. We could go back n forth with single examples. Game has changed.
Again people that played 20/30 years ago also got caught on the tracks in the past. Fighting did clothing to stop it. Nor did physical play at lower levels. Revionist, false thinking.
Players have always got injured and not exclusively because of your reasoning.
Yes kids could learn to take a hit better in lower leagues but Bedard is a bad example cause the opponents st lower levels couldn't skate, anticipate........the game at his level. Kids tried and hurt their team looking to run him. It happens , always have. Game also had "rats, shift disturbed, pests"....even with the old school rules kids don't assume they can't get hit, and that's coming from being on benches with kids.
If ya think not, no worries here. Agree to disagree.
Just can't connect your dots based on watching the game as you have for years
Now, don't take this the wrong way, but your post is a nonsencical disjoited ramble on this topic. I can't dig through the weeds of it.
But...totally wrong my friend. In the past , those were marginally skilled players who lacked necessary skills to do anything other than the role that was handed to them. I have first hand knowledge to have played with some of these "role" players and their skills would blow away anything that you could comprehend, yet that was their position. Todays enforcer / tough guy would blow away in talent alone those of the past...I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad