Saginaw Spirit 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Reactions: HF92

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Any major sporting event in the area gets sponsored by Dow (headquartered in Midland 20 mins away). Dow event center, Dow Diamond, LPGA event, tennis tourney.

Yeah it is definitely odd that they advertised the event as Kia at first though, no?

I think this is what @SSMHoundsFan is alluding too.

1920x1080.png

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Was Mastercard, then Kia, now Dow, and next year it will something different. Just the nature of sponsorships.

What? The nature of sponsorships?

Mastercard sponsored the Memorial Cup for 20 years.

Not one single host team has ever had their own sponsor.

I'm not saying good or bad here just simply applying context to his post above and why maybe he feels that way.

Last edited:

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
What? The nature of sponsorships?

Mastercard sponsored the Memorial Cup for 20 years.

Not one single host team has ever had their own sponsor.

I'm not saying good or bad here just simply applying context to his post above and why maybe he feels that way.
The only context that needed to be added was that Dow sponsors everything in the area. I called this before Saginaw even got the bid. It was always going to be the case. They just chose to announce it right before the season opening up is all.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
The only context that needed to be added was that Dow sponsors everything in the area. I called this before Saginaw even got the bid. It was always going to be the case. They just chose to announce it right before the season opening up is all.

Screenshot_20230928_183600_Chrome.jpg

No it wasn't always going to be the case...

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
curious why Kia backed out....I guess money talks..
Maybe their contract was up or maybe it was on a one-year renewal. The Dow sponsorship is only a one year deal and while it sounds like they'll have the option to renew, I'm thinking this is a one and done situation and it will be back to Kia or whomever else next year. Dow sponsors a LPGA Tournament, a tennis tournament (that recently had both Jessica Pegula and Coco Gauff), has a NASCAR car and now is venturing into hockey. The other two tournaments are in the region which is why I think this is one and done but the Nascar sponsorship makes me wonder if they could be more long-term with the Memorial Cup.

Reactions: Roadhog

Slap Shot Rick

Apr 1, 2015

BThumme

Oct 2, 2023
Finally decided to cave in and make an account here after lurking for years.

I really like what I saw from Saginaw over the weekend. The loss to Kitchener stung, especially with the way that last goal went in, but it was a nice bounce back against Sarnia.

-Special Teams looks great, especially the penalty kill
-Oke played well both games, I think we stick with him for the season
-I felt Saginaw had sustained pressure in both games as well.
-Loved the move from Cloutier on his goal against Sarnia,
-All this considering we had a good chunk of players at camp who just came back this week.

One of the things that I need to know right know, is who is going to step up to take over a game when we need to. I think Saginaw is incredibly balanced on offence, but I would really like to see someone who is going to lead the charge on offense. I'm not quite sure if that's going to be Sapovaliv, or Willis, or Misa, but I would really like to see someone be "that guy".

Can't wait for the rematch with Kitchener on Saturday.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Finally decided to cave in and make an account here after lurking for years.

I really like what I saw from Saginaw over the weekend. The loss to Kitchener stung, especially with the way that last goal went in, but it was a nice bounce back against Sarnia.

-Special Teams looks great, especially the penalty kill
-Oke played well both games, I think we stick with him for the season
-I felt Saginaw had sustained pressure in both games as well.
-Loved the move from Cloutier on his goal against Sarnia,
-All this considering we had a good chunk of players at camp who just came back this week.

One of the things that I need to know right know, is who is going to step up to take over a game when we need to. I think Saginaw is incredibly balanced on offence, but I would really like to see someone who is going to lead the charge on offense. I'm not quite sure if that's going to be Sapovaliv, or Willis, or Misa, but I would really like to see someone be "that guy".

Can't wait for the rematch with Kitchener on Saturday.
Score by committee seems to always be what Lazary goes for. During the last run Tippett should have been “the” guy but IDK if he was. If I had to pick a guy for this year, I’d take Haight.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Score by committee seems to always be what Lazary goes for. During the last run Tippett should have been “the” guy but IDK if he was. If I had to pick a guy for this year, I’d take Haight.
Sapovaliv and Misa with Haight should be one Hell of a committee. Maybe he doesn’t lead the league in scoring but I’d consider Sapovaliv to possibly be the premiere C in the league this year. Such a well-rounded game.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Big things for Saginaw this year. Clearly the class of the West. No reason to not sweep Flint or come close. Their “D” and goaltending is really bad. Keep staying consistent Spirit.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Got to check them out live on Saturday. Despite the score, there are still things to work on but that's to be expected in game 3 of 68. Kitchener was really keying in on shutting down the top line early. And they did a good job of it. Kept up playing in our own end mostly for the first five minutes. Thankfully other guys stepped up to take some pressure off. I like Zhugin. He's got a nice set of wheels. Just powered by the defender for the first goal. Also good to see Young get a couple points. Right place right time off a Parekh drive to the net and wrap around. Still think they need another puck moving defenseman sooner rather than later. Guys had a bit of a tough time clear the zone at times. Some times it was panicking with the puck and some times they just made the wrong play. Also need to watch guys cutting to the net. They can get caught puck watching below the line. Overall though, nice to get back a W after a tough road loss to Kitchener the week before.

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Will be interesting to see what they say behind closed doors to Oke...he's played very well so far this year and now he has someone breathing over his shoulder. I'd hate to see him suddenly feel like the team doesn't have any faith in him when he's looked so comfortable in the first three games.

EDIT: After seeing we got a 7th rounder too, I guess this is a no-brainer...we basically got him for free.

Last edited:

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
How are you going to know?
Won't know...was more curiosity or a figure of speech...felt the same way with T-Bone being the odd-man out with the OA's this year and how the team would keep him motivated but he obviously handled his own business getting signed.

I'm a big college football fan and I've watched coaches have QB competitions and neither guy gets the full reps and fans are always pining for the backup and you end up with 2 mediocre QB's instead of one really believing in themself. Other times, even if it's not clear cut (to the fans at least) a coach will come out and name a guy the starter and the team can rally around the QB and the QB seems to play really confidently because they know they're the man.

I want a clear-cut #1 in Saginaw just like we had last year with Lennox. Oke was a talented goalie sitting on the bench but we were riding Lennox until he couldn't go anymore and that was absolutely the right move. If you're not going to do that, Lennox should have been traded. Now that he's the #1, Oke seems really confident and I'm sure he's getting all the reps in practice...with LaLonde coming in, do those reps decrease and how does that affect Oke's play. Again, I won't know because I don't go to practice but it's a curiosity for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad