1st
3rd
17th
26th
2nd
29th
5th
3rd

These are league ranks of Cup winners going back to 2010. The first set is hits, the second set is goals.

38% of Cup winners since 2010 have been in the top third in hits, while 46% have been in the bottom third.

69% of Cup winners since 2010 have been in the top third of goals scored, while 15% have been in the bottom third.

Physicality only matters if your guys can still play hockey. Adding physicality just for the sake of physicality provides literally nothing.

Reactions: Aurinko and TaLoN

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Last year he showed a pulse there, this year he turned back into a pumpkin.
He was bouncing back in the three games prior to being injured.
Fun fact regarding physicality:

First set of data:
23rd
9th
7th
24th
14th
8th
12th
29th
2nd
30th
2nd
21st
25th

Second set of data:
4th
9th
1st
15th
9th
1st
3rd
17th
26th
2nd
29th
5th
3rd

These are league ranks of Cup winners going back to 2010. The first set is hits, the second set is goals.

38% of Cup winners since 2010 have been in the top third in hits, while 46% have been in the bottom third.

69% of Cup winners since 2010 have been in the top third of goals scored, while 15% have been in the bottom third.

Physicality only matters if your guys can still play hockey. Adding physicality just for the sake of physicality provides literally nothing.
Physicality doesn't just mean hits. It's winning board battles, clearing the crease, fighting when necessary, net front presence (screen) on shots.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Physicality doesn't just mean hits. It's winning board battles, clearing the crease, fighting when necessary, net front presence (screen) on shots.

Yeah, so playing hockey, which we should all agree Reaves can't do.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I’m trying to separate Hartman from Hartman playing with Kaprizov.
I view it more as he was given an opportunity and he ran with it. Obviously he was the worst player on the top line, but I think he would be a decent 2nd liner on a lot of teams. Can't imagine he wouldn't at least be a 50 point player next to Boldy.

Yeah, so playing hockey, which we should all agree Reaves can't do.
See:
He was bouncing back in the three games prior to being injured.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Whatever you need to tell yourself.
The truth. His game was turning around while playing with Ek on a grinding line, where he's shown most of his career that he belongs.

He had a one year wonder playing center with Kap, but he isn't the first, nor will he be the last who finds that they can play above themselves for a season, with high quality players, only to come crashing back to earth the rest of their career.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I view it more as he was given an opportunity and he ran with it. Obviously he was the worst player on the top line, but I think he would be a decent 2nd liner on a lot of teams. Can't imagine he wouldn't at least be a 50 point player next to Boldy.

See:
We have a mountain of evidence, both from tonight and games/years prior, that Reaves is not good at hockey. He does not contribute to wins. I have no problem with wanting physicality in the lineup for fighting when necessary, winning board battles, and standing in front of the goalie, but there are dozens of players who can do it just as well as Reaves without sacrificing hockey ability.

For a guy who has been as militant against Middleton lately as you for his lack of any hockey skill, I would expect that's something you can agree with.

Reactions: TaLoN

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
We have a mountain of evidence, both from tonight and games/years prior, that Reaves is not good at hockey. He does not contribute to wins. I have no problem with wanting physicality in the lineup for fighting when necessary, winning board battles, and standing in front of the goalie, but there are dozens of players who can do it just as well as Reaves without sacrificing hockey ability.

For a guy who has been as militant against Middleton lately as you for his lack of any hockey skill, I would expect that's something you can agree with.
I wouldn't have a problem with Middleton if he was on the 3rd pair. Similar to how I don't have a problem with Reaves as the worst forward on the 4th line.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Remember Chris Stuart? Excellent fighter, strong- couldn't win a board battle to save his life. Not a good player, overall. Weirdly nice hands, though....some talent there.

Reaves is like that, without the weirdly nice hands.

Either Guerin is trying to distract fans with this move about the fact that he made a big mistake in the off season, or, he is stupid.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Either Guerin is trying to distract fans with this move about the fact that he made a big mistake in the off season, or, he is stupid.

2-Input-OR-Gate-Truth-Table.jpg

The "or" should be an "OR gate" (and/or function in non-technical terms) in the statement; that way both parts of the equation can be true and the results will still be valid.

I really need to stop looking at the forums when I'm making system schematics for new equipment installs.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
That's something that is justifiably annoying. He should be a 4th liner at most.
It’s weird that they felt the need to play him over 12 against a team like Toronto… zero rivalry there, see them twice a year and a team that’s highly skilled and fast. Reaves isn’t a good defender and by Evolving Hockey’s metrics show him as the WORST player in the league this season (of qualified players)

He has no role in a game like this, yet Dean played him one less shift 5v5 shift than Matt f***ing Boldy. That’s fireable.

We’ll see if this was, “shiny new toy” or how he’ll actually be utilized going forward. I don’t care about the asset of a 5th, have some sort of vendetta against the cap increase but the fact of the matter is he does not make this team better in any capacity.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
If we're looking for positives here, at least Guerin was smart enough to not sign Deslauriers for 4 years at 1.75mil like Fletcher did.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
This may not be a popular opinion. And, it's not one that I wanted to have. I've been resisting this for a long time...but....

Guerin...

Hasn't made even one move yet which cannot be described from the perspective of "I want guys to think the RIGHT way and play the game the RIGHT way." By which is meant, 'don't take chances', 'be physical', 'do as you are told, even from the GM', 'be tough'.....etc. Every single move comes down to this. He wants 'old school' guys because that is how he thinks.

However, that is completely the WRONG way to go in the present day NHL. And, thus we have an old goalie (who replaced another old goalie), and we have an enforcer (even though we were already the most penalized team in the league, or nearly), and the construction of our squad has no future-thinking in it.

Every move Guerin has made can be thought of as "This is right because it feels right and I want to do it, and I'll figure the rest out later."

In other words, he is an ex-dumb-hockey-player, and is completely over his head in the GM role.

Reactions: Artemia

Wabit

May 23, 2016
No... but I remember Chris Stewart.

Stewie was more like Bjugstad than Reaves: big guy that doesn't use his size (well or often) and tries to play a skill game.

Reaves doesn't even pretend to have a skill game, and actively looks for physical play.

This may not be a popular opinion. And, it's not one that I wanted to have. I've been resisting this for a long time...but....

Guerin...

Hasn't made even one move yet which cannot be described from the perspective of "I want guys to think the RIGHT way and play the game the RIGHT way." By which is meant, 'don't take chances', 'be physical', 'do as you are told, even from the GM', 'be tough'.....etc. Every single move comes down to this. He wants 'old school' guys because that is how he thinks.

However, that is completely the WRONG way to go in the present day NHL. And, thus we have an old goalie (who replaced another old goalie), and we have an enforcer (even though we were already the most penalized team in the league, or nearly), and the construction of our squad has no future-thinking in it.

Every move Guerin has made can be thought of as "This is right because it feels right and I want to do it, and I'll figure the rest out later."

In other words, he is an ex-dumb-hockey-player, and is completely over his head in the GM role.

I mostly agree with this. MarJo and Addison don't fit this mold though (imo).

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
It’s weird that they felt the need to play him over 12 against a team like Toronto… zero rivalry there, see them twice a year and a team that’s highly skilled and fast. Reaves isn’t a good defender and by Evolving Hockey’s metrics show him as the WORST player in the league this season (of qualified players)

He has no role in a game like this, yet Dean played him one less shift 5v5 shift than Matt f***ing Boldy. That’s fireable.

We’ll see if this was, “shiny new toy” or how he’ll actually be utilized going forward. I don’t care about the asset of a 5th, have some sort of vendetta against the cap increase but the fact of the matter is he does not make this team better in any capacity.
Boldy's line did not have a great game. In fact, Boldy's line was statistically the worst line against the Leafs.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think/hope that they just wanted a minimal lineup shakeup after a 6-1 win. The opening was on the Eriksson Ek line, so that's where Reaves went.

We'll see if I think/hope correctly.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I think/hope that they just wanted a minimal lineup shakeup after a 6-1 win. The opening was on the Eriksson Ek line, so that's where Reaves went.

We'll see if I think/hope correctly.
Probably true. I assume it's Duhaime's spot whenever he gets back. Or they put Greenway back with Ek and Foligno and Duhaime with Boldy? Meh. Boldy still gets the short end of the stick.

Last edited:

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Boldy's line did not have a great game. In fact, Boldy's line was statistically the worst line against the Leafs.
I’m aware, but in a close game you find ways to get 12 on the ice with 97. I called out Boldy individually as he’s our 2nd best forward, not the entire line. Getting him on the ice more in close games with non-AHLers should be a priority

Reactions: TaLoN

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Boldy's line may not have had a great game on the advanced stats sheet, but they were the only line to score an even strength goal, so I'm not really sure how you can say they were the worst statistically.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad