Confirmed with Link: Ryan Reaves for a 2025 5th Round Pick

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
It's a personal thing. The people who love toughness more than good hockey are going to love this deal regardless of how bad Reaves is. The people that like good hockey over toughness are going to hate it regardless of how bad Reaves is.
Well that's unfair. Your definition of good hockey may not match everyone. I don't see why one can't get tough and skilled.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Well that's unfair. Your definition of good hockey may not match everyone. I don't see why one can't get tough and skilled.

One can get tough and skilled, but Ryan Reaves isn't the way to do it

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
5D053828-15F0-4CF0-8CE2-98F18A26D8A9.jpeg

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It's a personal thing. The people who love toughness more than good hockey are going to love this deal regardless of how bad Reaves is. The people that like good hockey over toughness are going to hate it regardless of how bad Reaves is.

With the lineups MN has put on the ice this year, I don't see the quality of play for the 4th line changing with or without Reaves. None of Jost, Rossi, Beckman, Cramarossa, Petan, etc. have not played good hockey. Reaves at the very least isn't another clone.

Reaves isn't the spot (12/13 FWD) I would have "upgraded" when the team has Sam Steel is the 1C. I'm meh about the trade. If he plays like junk I'll be fine with replacing him with someone better. I just can't say any of the other fringe players are outright better than Reaves at this point and time.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
With the lineups MN has put on the ice this year, I don't see the quality of play for the 4th line changing with or without Reaves. None of Jost, Rossi, Beckman, Cramarossa, Petan, etc. have not played good hockey. Reaves at the very least isn't another clone.

Reaves isn't the spot (12/13 FWD) I would have "upgraded" when the team has Sam Steel is the 1C. I'm meh about the trade. If he plays like junk I'll be fine with replacing him with someone better. I just can't say any of the other fringe players are outright better than Reaves at this point and time.

I'm not mad about bringing a different element to the fourth line/press box (still won't call Reaves an upgrade on anybody). Maybe Guerin will still bring in some talent later on. But Reaves isn't a skilled hockey player by any definition. That's why it's a personal thing. Some people don't care about the toughness, they'd rather see skill. Some people like the toughness, they think it helps. To each their own. This deal ultimately doesn't move the needle at all for the team.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
It's also lacking the talent you see from good teams.
I agree but the FO clearly doesn’t so the tank that many of us desire probably isn’t happening. I’m just glad we didn’t give up a 1st or a good prospect for a Boeser type

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Does anyone really think that we are losing because we aren't tough enough, or that we need more "swag" in the locker room?

We need a talented forward to play with Boldy, that will help take the pressure off the Kap line, and for our "good" physical players (not Reaves, who is a "Bad" physical player, cause he's old, slow, and untalented) to get healthy. I mean, Fiala had plenty of swag. Was it the wrong kind of "swag"? Did he not "play the right way"? Was he not a "North, South" player?

I am confused. What's the plan, again?
It’s naive to think that attitude and synergy aren’t important in any sport, but especially so in an emotional sport like hockey. This year’s team is sorely lacking in both departments and as a team with Addison, Boldy, Rossi etc it is clear the FO wants them exposed to leadership and intensity that guys like Reaves provides.

The downside is minimal so why all the doom & gloom? It’s hilarious people act like this is a massive trace that prevents us from adding a scorer.

Reactions: P10p

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Fiala thing is annoying. Of course he is going to be good now, he’s still in his prime. But he is a speed-oriented winger who disappears in the playoffs. Let’s see how that contract looks when he loses a step and has a few more disappearing acts in tight games.

Bdub

Mar 27, 2021
Its gonna be fun watching Reaves running his mouth and throttling people lol.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
Fiala thing is annoying. Of course he is going to be good now, he’s still in his prime. But he is a speed-oriented winger who disappears in the playoffs. Let’s see how that contract looks when he loses a step and has a few more disappearing acts in tight games.

I have him as my early favorite to win the Conn Smythe 🤭🤭🤭

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I like it. Nothing wrong with a tough guy for a 5th. Full tank for Bedard.
They will likely end up in the 10-20 pick range regardless.

People are getting so worked up over this trade, like a 5th round pick should return a skilled guy that can pot 20-30 goals a year :laugh: :help:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
They will likely end up in the 10-20 pick range regardless.

People are getting so worked up over this trade, like a 5th round pick should return a skilled guy that can pot 20-30 goals a year :laugh: :help:
It's not the pick, it's the player. This is like getting cheap shot artist Matt Cooke. If you hate a player because he plays dirty, you don't want him on your team. You don't want to have to be seen as condoning his antics.

Same reason everyone hated getting Chris Simon for a 6th rounder in the Risebrough days. It was never about the pick.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
It's not the pick, it's the player. This is like getting cheap shot artist Matt Cooke. If you hate a player because he plays dirty, you don't want him on your team. You don't want to have to be seen as condoning his antics.

Same reason everyone hated getting Chris Simon for a 6th rounder in the Risebrough days. It was never about the pick.
As far as I am concerned, Reaves gets a clean slate start with me. Why? Cause he's on my team.

Can't wait to see who he screws with first.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
As far as I am concerned, Reaves gets a clean slate start with me. Why? Cause he's on my team.

Can't wait to see who he screws with first.
A Zebra can't change his stripes.

Ryan Reaves has been a dirty ass player no matter which jersey he's worn, there's zero reason to believe he's suddenly going to have an epiphany this late in his career and start playing with a level of respect for other players that he has never shown.

I will tolerate him during games, because I have to, but I will never like him as a player.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Who cares, he is going to play like 8 minutes a night. Reaves will never be in the Cooke territory for me.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Ahh Matt Cooke, another former teammate of GMBG.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Reaves will put us on the PK a lot, according to Rangers fans.
Sounds like the refs don't like him. Great.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
A Zebra can't change his stripes.

Ryan Reaves has been a dirty ass player no matter which jersey he's worn, there's zero reason to believe he's suddenly going to have an epiphany this late in his career and start playing with a level of respect for other players that he has never shown.

I will tolerate him during games, because I have to, but I will never like him as a player.
Oh I don't think he's changing his stripes :laugh:! Like I said, he's on my team now. He's my guy now.

Excited to see what chaos ensues. Hopefully he picks the right times to do it, and it doesn't go against us. That's pretty much the only thing that concerns me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad