Player Discussion Ryan Getzlaf

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
8 goals 31 assists 39 points 47 games. Would really like Getzlaf to step up we need him to be better and produce better.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Step up? He's been our best forward over the past couple of weeks. He's scoring at a 68 point pace per 82 games which is tops on the team. He's also scoring more with 3 goals his past 8 games and 4 in his past 12.

If you think he's been disappointing you may want to readjust your expectations. The days of him being an 80 point forward are over. He's 32nd among forwards in points per game which puts him in the top 35% of production in terms of first liners. He's still our best offensive player although Rakell is closing the gap fairly rapidly which is a good thing.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Step up? He's been our best forward over the past couple of weeks. He's scoring at a 68 point pace per 82 games which is tops on the team. He's also scoring more with 3 goals his past 8 games and 4 in his past 12.

If you think he's been disappointing you may want to readjust your expectations. The days of him being an 80 point forward are over. He's 32nd among forwards in points per game which puts him in the top 35% of production in terms of first liners. He's still our best offensive player although Rakell is closing the gap fairly rapidly which is a good thing.

Maybe I am expecting too much of him but I think he can be better.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005

I kind of agree with what you're saying, but he doesn't have the 32nd highest salary.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Of forwards that have played at least 500 minutes this year Getzlaf is 103rd in 5-on-5 points per 60 minutes. Was at 154 last year. In 14/15 he and Perry were both top 20 and 13/14 they were 1st and 2nd.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Of forwards that have played at least 500 minutes this year Getzlaf is 103rd in 5-on-5 points per 60 minutes. Was at 154 last year. In 14/15 he and Perry were both top 20 and 13/14 they were 1st and 2nd.

Points per 60 minutes isn't a great thing to look at when you're playing as many minutes as Getzlaf is. Generally there are diminishing returns when you get up to the 20 mins plus mark especially when you're a few months away from your 32nd birthday.

I kind of agree with what you're saying, but he doesn't have the 32nd highest salary.

No but when you sign a guy to an 8 year deal that kicks in when he's 28 years old you're generally only going to get great value for the first few years. You've got that choice between giving him a contract he's not going to be worth during the second half of it or not re-signing him at all and missing out on 2 of the best years of his career when we are in a championship window.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Such a dominate force lately almost getting to a point per game on the season. Hopefully he can remain healthy and dominate in the playoffs.

DuckDude

Mar 16, 2017
This is Geztys time. I always believed Getz was among the best players in the league, though he never gets the recognition. He has to be a huge force this postseason for us.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Regular season stats: 74 GP, 15 goals, 58 assists, 73 total points. 1 short of a point per game. If he was healthy the entire season, he trended toward still being an 80 point player. Not too shabby (thanks Raks & Eaves, no thanks to Perry).

He's got plenty of life left to be a solid/elite player for the next couple of years, IMO.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Yeah he really was late in the season. I just wish he was scoring more goals during the season making him more of a goal scoring threat making it harder to defend his line.

He doesn't need to be scoring goals though. Getzlaf is a playmaker, not a sniper. In fact, if Perry can pick up the pace in the playoffs, that's a very solid top 9 with 2 scoring lines and a hybrid scoring/checking line. Our forward depth is not something I'm really worried about. What worries me is our blueline (with Cam being out and Bieksa getting more ice time as a result), but that's a different topic.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He doesn't need to be scoring goals though. Getzlaf is a playmaker, not a sniper. In fact, if Perry can pick up the pace in the playoffs, that's a very solid top 9 with 2 scoring lines and a hybrid scoring/checking line. Our forward depth is not something I'm really worried about. What worries me is our blueline (with Cam being out and Bieksa getting more ice time as a result), but that's a different topic.

Agreed about Getzlaf. You ask for more goals from him and you're just going to end up taking away goals from Rakell and Eaves. Getzlaf has some of the best vision and passing ability in the game. His shot is very good but he's much more effective playing to his biggest strength which is his passing ability. He's also miles better at creating space for others than he is creating space for himself.

And Yeah the Bieksa situation will be key to us going far. The more Carlyle can keep him off the ice, the better our chances will be to advance. I'm far less worried about the rookies than I am Bieksa (unless Theodore is paired with Bieksa in which case I'm extremely worried, Theo is a different player without #2 on the ice at the same time as him).

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
I think what Ducks in a row is trying to say is that if Getzlaf was a bigger threat to shoot and score a bit more, it just opens up potentially more room for his teammates since they'll be worried about scoring coming from any of them. As it is, he passes up what we see as clear scoring opportunities, and if Calgary plays him that way, either he'll HAVE to shoot more, or his teammates will have to be even craftier to get in a position to score.

eternalbedhead

Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
I think what Ducks in a row is trying to say is that if Getzlaf was a bigger threat to shoot and score a bit more, it just opens up potentially more room for his teammates since they'll be worried about scoring coming from any of them. As it is, he passes up what we see as clear scoring opportunities, and if Calgary plays him that way, either he'll HAVE to shoot more, or his teammates will have to be even craftier to get in a position to score.

The thing is, his goals column has nothing to do with any of this. Playmakers still have to be shut down, even if they're not a direct goal-scoring threat. Getzlaf still sees the ice and passes about as well as anyone in this league. The other team can either focus on defending him and leave holes for him to pass through or defend his linemates and leave Getzlaf an opportunity to get in close. You don't need 3 snipers on one line. Rakell and Eaves are more than capable of picking up goals and Getzlaf is more than capable of getting the puck to them.

Sure, Getzlaf still passes while in prime shooting position, but that's been Getzlaf ever since he's come into the league. He's still a center who's playing at an elite level and has really been coming through with Kesler slowing down as of late. If he maintains the way he's been playing into the playoffs, I don't think anyone could be unhappy.

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
Getzlaf after Game 1 is the Samwise to Frodo. They can do 75% of the work, but Getzlaf will put the team on his back and take them to Mordor on his own damn will.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Getzlaf with 2 goals so far tonight against the Oilers. In his 8th playoff game he has 7 goals 5 assists 12 points. I love seeing him produce so well especially in the goal scoring department.

eternalbedhead

Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Only worry is his ice time. How much longer is he going to hold playing 25 minutes a night?

He's been incredible, though. He's looked so dominant all throughout these playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad