Player Discussion Ryan Getzlaf

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Unless I'm mistaken, Getzlaf was pretty damn close to being a PPG player after that poor start from the team last season.

Like I said, I think you're making mountains out of molehills. If teams decide he isn't a threat to shoot, he'll start finding the back of the net more. Guaranteed. That just means he'll have that much more time and space. That isn't how you shut down a Ryan Getzlaf. They'll continue to play him like they always do. You're reading way too much into it.

Edit: Kesler has been great, but I don't agree that he's been better than Getzlaf. Getzlaf, with the puck, drives the play. He creates. He opens the ice up for his linemates. Kesler is a skilled grinder, who plays hard-nosed hockey, but he doesn't have the ability to make things happen the way Getzlaf does. And he does it while seeing the very best the opposing team can throw at him. That's why Getzlaf is an elite #1 center, and Kesler is an elite #2 center.

Getzlaf had 63 points in 77 games last season that is 2nd worst point per game average since being #1C.

Kesler is playing 21 min a game almost winning 60% of faceoffs he takes has been producing well and is being used to shutdown other teams best scorers. Kesler has been better. Getzlaf isn't as good as he once was.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Getzlaf had 63 points in 77 games last season that is 2nd worst point per game average since being #1C.

Kesler is playing 21 min a game almost winning 60% of faceoffs he takes has been producing well and is being used to shutdown other teams best scorers. Kesler has been better. Getzlaf isn't as good as he once was.

Did you miss the part where I pointed out I was referring to his total after the bad start from the team? That was an important point. The team was scoring at a historically bad rate. Of course that's going to have a negative impact on his overall totals.

But once the team turned things around, Getzlaf started putting up very good numbers.

And I very much disagree with the statement that Getzlaf isn't as good as he once was. Is he as good as his peak? No. Is he as good as his career average? I think so. Getzlaf has been pretty beastly.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Getzlaf definitely creates more for others but I think Keslers been better overall thus far

Yea that is a good way to put it.

Did you miss the part where I pointed out I was referring to his total after the bad start from the team? That was an important point. The team was scoring at a historically bad rate. Of course that's going to have a negative impact on his overall totals.

But once the team turned things around, Getzlaf started putting up very good numbers.

Yea after getting Perron and having a 3rd line with Rakell and Perry he did start producing better but he still hasn't been as good as he used to be I don't think we will ever have that Getzlaf again.

Oct 18, 2011
i just dont want carlyle running him into the ground he's playing alot of hard minutes, he's not 25 anymore but randy doesn't seem to know any other way to coach

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
i just dont want carlyle running him into the ground he's playing alot of hard minutes, he's not 25 anymore but randy doesn't seem to know any other way to coach

You can thank Murray for that. Anaheim isn't deep enough for it to be any other way.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

Getzlaf is averaging under 20 min a game it is Kesler with over 21 min a game that should be worried about. If Thompson wasn't injured our 4th line would be getting more mins.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Kesler is producing right now (not nearly at the same rate as Getzlaf mind you) but he doesn't create offense and keep opposing defensemen on their toes the way Getzlaf does. He's producing because he's getting the bounces and he's benefited from playing with Getzlaf and Perry a fair bit on the PP.

Yes Kesler is better defensively but Getzlaf is in a different league offensively. You keep saying Getzlaf needs to score goals as if he's not even trying, he's getting shots and is setting up Perry perfectly, with those two the goals are going to come so long as they're getting chances.

It's like you're foreign to the concept that players shooting percentages fluctuate greatly over the course of a season but they very rarely stray too far from their average. I certainly wouldn't expect Getzlaf to shoot at a ridiculously low rate two years in a row.

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
Yes Kesler is better defensively but Getzlaf is in a different league offensively. You keep saying Getzlaf needs to score goals as if he's not even trying, he's getting shots and is setting up Perry perfectly, with those two the goals are going to come so long as they're getting chances.

That is right but what I miss is that they take the game in those game 7 situations. They have to step up in those games and every time I'm disappointed because they have the ability to do so, especially Getzlaf.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Kesler is producing right now (not nearly at the same rate as Getzlaf mind you) but he doesn't create offense and keep opposing defensemen on their toes the way Getzlaf does. He's producing because he's getting the bounces and he's benefited from playing with Getzlaf and Perry a fair bit on the PP.

It's like you're foreign to the concept that players shooting percentages fluctuate greatly over the course of a season but they very rarely stray too far from their average. I certainly wouldn't expect Getzlaf to shoot at a ridiculously low rate two years in a row.

Yes he doesn't create offense as well but he is producing well and doing well at helping to shutdown other teams top scorers I would say he has been better overall so far if you don't agree then this is a agree to disagree thing.

I know players shooting percentages fluctuate but last season he had 13 goals shooting 7.3% and this season 1 goal so far shooting 2.9% both good amount below career average shooting percentage. I am currently worried but it seems others are not so for them I am wondering at what point do you start to worry?

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
When he isn't producing anymore, and his play starts to fall off.

So if he keeps having problems scoring goals from here on out their will be no worries at all :shakehead if he keeps sucking at scoring goals something is wrong and we shouldn't want that.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
So if he keeps having problems scoring goals from here on out their will be no worries at all :shakehead if he keeps sucking at scoring goals something is wrong and we shouldn't want that.

You're trying to over-simplify it. If he continues to create chances and get looks, pucks will go in and he'll continue to get points.

So, yes. There will be no worries if he continues to play like this.

I don't worry when a player is playing great hockey, even if the numbers aren't quite there.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
You're trying to over-simplify it. If he continues to create chances and get looks, pucks will go in and he'll continue to get points.

So, yes. There will be no worries if he continues to play like this.

I don't worry when a player is playing great hockey, even if the numbers aren't quite there.

Last season he wasn't scoring many goals and he has 1 this season. When will he start scoring goals from the chances he gets? If he continues to have problems scoring goals that is nothing but a bad thing. I miss the Getzlaf that can score a fair amount of goals.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Last season he wasn't scoring many goals and he has 1 this season. When will he start scoring goals from the chances he gets? If he continues to have problems scoring goals that is nothing but a bad thing. I miss the Getzlaf that can score a fair amount of goals.

You're overreacting.

As long as he continues to shoot, the pucks will start going in more.

The player I'd worry about right now is Perry. Getzlaf is, at least, playing well.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
You're overreacting.

As long as he continues to shoot, the pucks will start going in more.

The player I'd worry about right now is Perry. Getzlaf is, at least, playing well.

I have been expecting some goals for a while he wasn't doing much of that last season and has 1 this season repeat 1 goal this season. It is not like he has been having some goal scoring problems for such a short time.

Yea I am worried about Perry scoring goals as well to bad Getzlaf isn't scoring some goals to help make up for it.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He's too busy setting up goals right now to make up for Perry (despite Perry not scoring), without him the first goal doesn't happen last night and many more goals don't happen this season.

If he was sitting at 1 goal, 9 assists you might have a point but he's on pace for 75 points. They're not all going to be assists the goals will start going in.

I don't think youre willing to acknowledge how much shooting percentage fluctuates, you keep criticising his shooting percentage as if his shot has all of a sudden gotten worse. He is playing well and will score. Be patient.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
I look at this a little different than the slump Perry and Getzalf were in to start the year last year. They both played in the WCH this year and competed at a really high level for a few weeks before the season. If there was ever a time "NOT TO SLUMP" it's coming out of that tournament.

So now 20 games in to the season and the goal total for those 2 guys is way to low, especially 5 v 5. I'm not saying Getzlaf especially is not playing good hockey (although last night against the Isles he had the worst % Corsi on the team 5v5), but that can't be enough for him, they both needs goals, points and a much better 5 v 5 result. So how does the coach fix this? I don't believe he can and the same goes for the GM. Unless those two find a fountain of youth really quick, this story does not end well for this team and the summer is a complete retool.

Kesler on the other hand is thriving in the exact same environment, killing it in all situations and and leading the team in most categories. I would also say Cogs and Silf are too, but they are physically built for the heavy minutes. Kesler is truly a beast that is thriving under the coach's philosophy going two lines heavy.

Last edited:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I look at this a little different than the slump Perry and Getzalf were in to start the year last year. They both played in the WCH this year and competed at a really high level for a few weeks before the season. If there was ever a time "NOT TO SLUMP" it's coming out of that tournament.

So now 20 games in to the season and the goal total for those 2 guys is way to low, especially 5 v 5. I'm not saying Getzlaf especially is not playing good hockey (although last night against the Isles he had the worst % Corsi on the team 5v5), but that can't be enough for him, they both needs goals, points and a much better 5 v 5 result. So how does the coach fix this? I don't believe he can and the same goes for the GM. Unless those two find a fountain of youth really quick, this story does not end well for this team and the summer is a complete retool.

Kesler on the other hand is thriving in the exact same environment, killing it in all situations and and leading the team in most categories. I would also say Cogs and Silf are too, but they are physically built for the heavy minutes. Kesler is truly a beast that is thriving under the coach's philosophy going two lines heavy.

How exactly is playing at at 75 point pace slumping exactly? You've got fairly high standards if you're calling Getzlaf out over his performance this season. He's significantly out producing everyone on the team including Kesler who is "killing it" (almost a 20 point pace over a full season).

Also looking a single game corsi statistics is not a great way of evaluating anything.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
Getzlaf has 10 ES points in 17 games, Perry has 9 ES points in 20 games. That's a little more than .5 points per game combined. The top line of any team that is successful has to play at a better ES pace than that to win consistently.

Yes my expectations of them are high because they are the highest paid players and the "C" and "A". Yes, the corsi of one game is not a trend, but arguably the worst team in the league was in town last night and the effort wasn't there.

With regards to Kelser. Him, matching up against the top line of every team and being a plus 9 speaks pretty high of his play this year. Hands down he has been the MVP of this team over the 1st 20 games.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Getzlaf has 10 ES points in 17 games, Perry has 9 ES points in 20 games. That's a little more than .5 points per game combined. The top line of any team that is successful has to play at a better ES pace than that to win consistently.

Yes my expectations of them are high because they are the highest paid players and the "C" and "A". Yes, the corsi of one game is not a trend, but arguably the worst team in the league was in town last night and the effort wasn't there.

With regards to Kelser. Him, matching up against the top line of every team and being a plus 9 speaks pretty high of his play this year. Hands down he has been the MVP of this team over the 1st 20 games.

Kesler's PDO is sitting at 104. Getzlaf's at 99. Kesler's line is playing very well but they're getting a lot of bounces. Getzlaf's line aren't getting as many. Those PDOs are going to creep closer to 1000 as the season progresses and the +/-'s (which is a useless stat btw) will even out a little bit.

Kesler has started off hot and is playing great hockey but on these boards it's as if every good thing he does gets played up and when he does make mistakes they're ignored where as every bad thing Getzlaf does gets magnified while all the offense Getzlaf creates gets ignored.

I don't think I've ever seen someone who could quite easily go down as the best all time player in Ducks history (at worst he's going to be second behind Teemu) get so little respect from their fanbase.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
What's the argument here?

Getzlaf is on pace for 163 shots. That is a little lower than average for him.

He's on pace for 74 points. Do you really think he would have more points if he shot more or better? That would be his 3rd highest total in the past 7 years (this decade).

If he shot more, and with this shooting %, would that actually mean he would probably score fewer points (aka the shots he takes is an assist that won't happen?

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
But we want more. Why have less when we can have more? We want more! We want more!

This guy arguing against goals reminds me of the ATT commercial

Getz has been playing as expected.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
While id love for him to shoot a bit more i dont mind that much if he is becoming more pass first as long as the team is scoring a good percentage of those and with rakell on the line i have a lot of faith.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
He's too busy setting up goals right now to make up for Perry (despite Perry not scoring), without him the first goal doesn't happen last night and many more goals don't happen this season.

If he was sitting at 1 goal, 9 assists you might have a point but he's on pace for 75 points. They're not all going to be assists the goals will start going in.

I don't think youre willing to acknowledge how much shooting percentage fluctuates, you keep criticising his shooting percentage as if his shot has all of a sudden gotten worse. He is playing well and will score. Be patient.

I know he makes good plays and without him we wouldn't be getting as many goals overall I don't need to be told the obvious.

He scored a goal last night against the Sharks hopefully he starts scoring at a decent rate from now on.

I know players have highs and lows with shooting percentages but he is on a low that has lasted for long time. If he continues scoring goals at a poor rate it is and should be something to worry about (bad trends aren't good) regardless of anything else.

What's the argument here?

Getzlaf is on pace for 163 shots. That is a little lower than average for him.

He's on pace for 74 points. Do you really think he would have more points if he shot more or better? That would be his 3rd highest total in the past 7 years (this decade).

If he shot more, and with this shooting %, would that actually mean he would probably score fewer points (aka the shots he takes is an assist that won't happen?

He isn't scoring enough goals from the shots he is taking. Maybe he is taking worse quality of shots and is scoring less goals because of it :dunno:

It is harder to have a higher points pace when your relying so heavily on others to get you those points from them scoring goals if you score a nice amount yourself it becomes easier to rack up some points.

A shot he takes might or might not take away from a assist it might result in a goal that wouldn't of otherwise been scored or might result in a rebound from the shot that results in someone else scoring a goal we don't know. What we do know if he scored more goals he would have more goals. He would possibly and likely having more points as it has been in his career. Twice he has a bad goal scoring rate and both times career lows in points per game average since becoming a #1C. His good points per game pace this year with a low goal scoring is strange it goes against the odds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad