Player Discussion Ryan Getzlaf

Oct 18, 2011
He's been playing good and has a really low shooting % which will come up, he will get to 20+ goals as long as he stays healthy

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
He's been playing good and has a really low shooting % which will come up, he will get to 20+ goals as long as he stays healthy

He didn't get 20 last year and with his slow start scoring goals this year I don't see him reaching 20 goals even if he stays healthy. He will probably be in the low to mid teens.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
He's creating scoring chances for others, I don't see a problem with him not scoring goals as long as he's actively contributing to goals.

Scoring some goals himself opens things up more for the entire line. Imagine if he was willing to shoot more and scored more goals it would be more unpredictable with what he does making it harder to defend him and his line.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Not too worried about him either. Last year he had a low sh% as well. With his average sh% he's on pace for about 20 goals this season. Not saying he'll get there, but I'm not worried.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
More worried about Perry's lack of goals than Getzlaf's. Let's face it, he'll never shoot or score as much as anyone wants.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Pretty foolish thread considering Getzlaf is the best player on the ice mist nights

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
It's a bit weird to be so concerned about a guy having 1 goal when he's playing PPG hockey (and has never been a shoot first guy anyway) but apparently not being worried about a guy who has 4 goals in 18 games who's suppose to be Anaheim's elite goalscorer.

If you're expectating an elite 31 year old player to change how he plays hockey when it's brought him this far - I've got some bad news for you.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He has 14 assists and is only shooting at 3%. What's the issue? Getzlaf has been our best player this year.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
It's a bit weird to be so concerned about a guy having 1 goal when he's playing PPG hockey (and has never been a shoot first guy anyway) but apparently not being worried about a guy who has 4 goals in 18 games who's suppose to be Anaheim's elite goalscorer.

If you're expectating an elite 31 year old player to change how he plays hockey when it's brought him this far - I've got some bad news for you.

Perry has missed multiple goals by inches and could easily have 10 goals by now
If he continues he will go on his usual tear

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Perry is shooting at 7.1% compared to his career 13.4%. His assist total is a good thing imo, that percentage will come up just like Getzlaf.

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
Wished he would shoot more, his shot is so great that it creates a lot of issues/scoring chances off it.

But other than that I can't find any reason to criticize Getzlaf this year. He's been playing great since day 1. He looks like he's in mid season shape already, skating form looks great. Whatever injury he was nursing last year looks to be fully healed. As long as he stays point per game, not too concerned about him not scoring as many goals.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Not too worried about him either. Last year he had a low sh% as well. With his average sh% he's on pace for about 20 goals this season. Not saying he'll get there, but I'm not worried.

Yea he had a low shooting percentage last year this year it is worse this isn't a good trend.

More worried about Perry's lack of goals than Getzlaf's. Let's face it, he'll never shoot or score as much as anyone wants.

Sure it is more worrying for Perry then Getzlaf but both should have some worries.

Pretty foolish thread considering Getzlaf is the best player on the ice mist nights

And I though Kesler was who has similar overall production but is being used to shutdown other teams top lines while playing more mins. Getzlaf needs to start scoring some more goals to make him more of a threat to score goals that makes him harder to defend.

With Perry not scoring a lot of goals like he normally does it would be good to see Getzlaf get some how much longer can Getzlaf be a PPG player with such low goal totals especially if Perry isn't scoring a lot of goals?

I expect him to shoot a little more and score at least 20 a season but that didn't happen last season and this season his goals pace is terrible worse then ever.

He has 14 assists and is only shooting at 3%. What's the issue? Getzlaf has been our best player this year.

Not enough shots and not enough scoring on the shots he does take. Teams know he isn't scoring much so they don't respect his shot as much as if he was scoring at a decent rate. Be a more overall offensive threat is a good thing.

Wished he would shoot more, his shot is so great that it creates a lot of issues/scoring chances off it.

But other than that I can't find any reason to criticize Getzlaf this year. He's been playing great since day 1. He looks like he's in mid season shape already, skating form looks great. Whatever injury he was nursing last year looks to be fully healed. As long as he stays point per game, not too concerned about him not scoring as many goals.

Yep shooting more and scoring more from it causes more issues for the opposing team we should all want that instead of just saying things are fine.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Not enough shots and not enough scoring on the shots he does take. Teams know he isn't scoring much so they don't respect his shot as much as if he was scoring at a decent rate. Be a more overall offensive threat is a good thing.
Teams have to respect Nicklas Backstrom's passing ability just as much as they have to respect Ovechkin's shooting ability. In the same way, Getzlaf doesn't need to be a sniper to get teams to respect him. Sure, I'd like him to shoot more, but he's a top-notch playmaker, and he certainly hasn't disappointed in that regard this season. He's been great all around.

Not everyone needs to put up 50-50s. Both Getzlaf and Perry are sitting with shooting percentages well below career averages anyways, so it's expected they'll probably come back up as far as goal production goes.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Teams have to respect Nicklas Backstrom's passing ability just as much as they have to respect Ovechkin's shooting ability. In the same way, Getzlaf doesn't need to be a sniper to get teams to respect him. Sure, I'd like him to shoot more, but he's a top-notch playmaker, and he certainly hasn't disappointed in that regard this season. He's been great all around.

Not everyone needs to put up 50-50s. Both Getzlaf and Perry are sitting with shooting percentages well below career averages anyways, so it's expected they'll probably come back up as far as goal production goes.

If they respect his shot more with the respect they already have for Getzlaf passing ability it would make things much better for us. All I ask is that he is able to score a decent amount of goals something he hasn't been doing for a long time now.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Ducks in a row, I think your argument is a little short-sighted here. A lot short-sighted, actually. Teams will absolutely respect Getzlaf's shot. You're putting far, far too much emphasis on statistics over a short period of time. Getzlaf isn't some new player in the league. Teams will respect his shot because every team is aware he has a good one. It's not some secret. There is so much scouting, and so much video analysis. They'll also be aware he's a pass-first player. That's also not news, and it wouldn't change just because he scored a couple more goals, or because he had a higher shooting percentage.

Teams will treat him the way they have always treated him. Just like they'll treat Perry the same way, because you don't count on the statistics to protect you. No coach is going to look at Perry's statistics, and think he isn't a threat to score. Regardless of what the numbers say, they know who Corey Perry is, and that if they give him an inch he can bury it. That's how they'll play him.

Coaches might put extra emphasis on a player who is on a hot streak, but they aren't going to ignore years of evidence, not to mention their own experiences with said player, just because a player isn't scoring as much as expected. Every team that plays Anaheim will treat Perry as a goal scoring threat, and every team that plays Anaheim will treat Getzlaf as a pass-first player with a wicked shot.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Yea he had a low shooting percentage last year this year it is worse this isn't a good trend.

Sure it is more worrying for Perry then Getzlaf but both should have some worries.

And I though Kesler was who has similar overall production but is being used to shutdown other teams top lines while playing more mins. Getzlaf needs to start scoring some more goals to make him more of a threat to score goals that makes him harder to defend.

With Perry not scoring a lot of goals like he normally does it would be good to see Getzlaf get some how much longer can Getzlaf be a PPG player with such low goal totals especially if Perry isn't scoring a lot of goals?

I expect him to shoot a little more and score at least 20 a season but that didn't happen last season and this season his goals pace is terrible worse then ever.

Yep shooting more and scoring more from it causes more issues for the opposing team we should all want that instead of just saying things are fine.

He's averaging over two shots a game. His shooting percentage won't stay at 3% he has a good shot and shoots at over 12 percent on his career. He's getting chances and creating offense.

And Kesler and Getzlafs production isn't comparable, Kesler is on pace for 63 points over 82 games where as Getzlaf is on pace for 82 points over 82 games. Kesler is also shooting at 20% which is almost double his normal rate, he's not going to keep producing goals at the same rate he is now.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Ducks in a row, I think your argument is a little short-sighted here. A lot short-sighted, actually. Teams will absolutely respect Getzlaf's shot. You're putting far, far too much emphasis on statistics over a short period of time. Getzlaf isn't some new player in the league. Teams will respect his shot because every team is aware he has a good one. It's not some secret. There is so much scouting, and so much video analysis. They'll also be aware he's a pass-first player. That's also not news, and it wouldn't change just because he scored a couple more goals, or because he had a higher shooting percentage.

Teams will treat him the way they have always treated him. Just like they'll treat Perry the same way, because you don't count on the statistics to protect you. No coach is going to look at Perry's statistics, and think he isn't a threat to score. Regardless of what the numbers say, they know who Corey Perry is, and that if they give him an inch he can bury it. That's how they'll play him.

Coaches might put extra emphasis on a player who is on a hot streak, but they aren't going to ignore years of evidence, not to mention their own experiences with said player, just because a player isn't scoring as much as expected. Every team that plays Anaheim will treat Perry as a goal scoring threat, and every team that plays Anaheim will treat Getzlaf as a pass-first player with a wicked shot.

Look at Thornton he is a pass first pass 2nd type of player like Getzlaf and he is in his 6th season in a row with under 20 goals scored and averaged per 82 games. When his linemates aren't scoring goals the team gets in some trouble because he won't be scoring much goals to help make up for it. If Thornton was more of a goal scorer it would be harder to defend him opening up more space for his linemates. I would hate it if Getzlaf becomes a sub 20 goal scorer that is easier to defend then if he was scoring more like in the past. Maybe I am being silly but I don't think so.

He's averaging over two shots a game. His shooting percentage won't stay at 3% he has a good shot and shoots at over 12 percent on his career. He's getting chances and creating offense.

And Kesler and Getzlafs production isn't comparable, Kesler is on pace for 63 points over 82 games where as Getzlaf is on pace for 82 points over 82 games. Kesler is also shooting at 20% which is almost double his normal rate, he's not going to keep producing goals at the same rate he is now.

Yea I don't expect it to stay so low but I also don't think we will be seeing constant 20 goal scoring seasons like before either.

And how long will Getzlaf be a PPG player with such low goal scoring?

Yea Kesler goal scoring won't continue like this but at this point saying Kesler has been the better player isn't wrong either.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Look at Thornton he is a pass first pass 2nd type of player like Getzlaf and he is in his 6th season in a row with under 20 goals scored and averaged per 82 games. When his linemates aren't scoring goals the team gets in some trouble because he won't be scoring much goals to help make up for it. If Thornton was more of a goal scorer it would be harder to defend him opening up more space for his linemates. I would hate it if Getzlaf becomes a sub 20 goal scorer that is easier to defend then if he was scoring more like in the past. Maybe I am being silly but I don't think so.

You mean the Joe Thornton who just had a PPG season, and who has consistently put up very good numbers, despite not being much of a goal-scorer? Let's not make it sound like when Thornton's linemates aren't scoring he vanishes off the map. That isn't the case at all. The same is true of Getzlaf. Perry has 4 goals. Getzlaf has 14 assists. Perry's goal scoring struggles haven't stopped Getzlaf from being productive.

I do think your argument is a bit silly. What you're saying is not only not backed by evidence, it's actually contradicted by it.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
You mean the Joe Thornton who just had a PPG season, and who has consistently put up very good numbers, despite not being much of a goal-scorer? Let's not make it sound like when Thornton's linemates aren't scoring he vanishes off the map. That isn't the case at all. The same is true of Getzlaf. Perry has 4 goals. Getzlaf has 14 assists. Perry's goal scoring struggles haven't stopped Getzlaf from being productive.

I do think your argument is a bit silly. What you're saying is not only not backed by evidence, it's actually contradicted by it.

Thornton is a better passer then Getzlaf and he fell 1 short of reaching 20 goals and that was his 1st PPG season in a while that came with him having most goals since the 2010-11 season. Last two seasons Getzlaf wasn't a PPG player eventually if he doesn't score a good amount of goals he won't be PPG. It is hard to be PPG getting a nice amount of goals helps make it easier.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I think you care too much about how his points are distributed and are ignoring that he's our most productive player this year again and has been our best player most nights.

If he wasn't getting chances and looking good it would be worrying. But offensively he's always looking dangerous, the pucks aren't going to stay out for that line forever, the goals will come.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I think you care too much about how his points are distributed and are ignoring that he's our most productive player this year again and has been our best player most nights.

If he wasn't getting chances and looking good it would be worrying. But offensively he's always looking dangerous, the pucks aren't going to stay out for that line forever, the goals will come.

He is our most productive but no I can't say he is our best player Kesler has been damn good so I would say him.

Getzlaf has 1 goal in 19 games so far this season and had 13 in 77 games last season. This isn't a good trend. When the players he is playing with are having a hard time scoring goals it would be nice if Getzlaf could score some more goals himself to help take off some of the pressure to score the goals. With him scoring some goals when others aren't we would be a better team. He is just scoring too few goals lately.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Thornton is a better passer then Getzlaf and he fell 1 short of reaching 20 goals and that was his 1st PPG season in a while that came with him having most goals since the 2010-11 season. Last two seasons Getzlaf wasn't a PPG player eventually if he doesn't score a good amount of goals he won't be PPG. It is hard to be PPG getting a nice amount of goals helps make it easier.

Unless I'm mistaken, Getzlaf was pretty damn close to being a PPG player after that poor start from the team last season.

Like I said, I think you're making mountains out of molehills. If teams decide he isn't a threat to shoot, he'll start finding the back of the net more. Guaranteed. That just means he'll have that much more time and space. That isn't how you shut down a Ryan Getzlaf. They'll continue to play him like they always do. You're reading way too much into it.

Edit: Kesler has been great, but I don't agree that he's been better than Getzlaf. Getzlaf, with the puck, drives the play. He creates. He opens the ice up for his linemates. Kesler is a skilled grinder, who plays hard-nosed hockey, but he doesn't have the ability to make things happen the way Getzlaf does. And he does it while seeing the very best the opposing team can throw at him. That's why Getzlaf is an elite #1 center, and Kesler is an elite #2 center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->