Player Discussion Ryan Getzlaf

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

A few things:

He mentions "wanting to do a little bit more in the management side of things but it hasn't really panned out this year as far as getting right into it...". It would be awesome to get Getzlaf on the management side.

He says he probably would have played 4 or 5 more years if he had gone to a different team. Also you can assume if the Ducks were better he would have kept playing.

Apparently Robby Neids was a monster chirper.

Thanks for sharing. It was a great listen and would have loved to hear him for another hour with his insights.

The whole panel dived into some deep stuff such as how coaching has changed, especially with the new young guys. This makes having Eakins onboard feel like we're ahead of the program in that sense. But if you do go with a young guy, then give the young coach a lot of veteran coaching support or vice versa with old coach and young guys. Eakins was surrounded with a lot of experienced assistant coaches last year with Ward, Brown, and Stothers.

Getz admitting that he would have played longer on another team, probably one that wasn't going through a reset rebuild, that he'd be playing another 4 to 5 years confirms what I thought if the Verbeek would have taken the next step on contending. Lindholm shared in an interview that he knew what Verbeek wanted to do, which was to do a reset and on PV's terms. It's too bad Murray shot himself in the foot. Getz wanted to stay a Duck and not go anywhere else, which selfishly as a fan, I'm kinda glad too.

Speaking of Murray, it feels like a lot of his thoughts and practices has rubbed off on Getzy such as protecting the kids, evolving with coaching the young guys. He's got plenty of insight and surprised he hasn't been offered anything with management, even in an intern type thing. Maybe that's why he's showing up to games often to let the org know he's still hungry to be a part of Ducks hockey. I hope so.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Thanks for sharing. It was a great listen and would have loved to hear him for another hour with his insights.

The whole panel dived into some deep stuff such as how coaching has changed, especially with the new young guys. This makes having Eakins onboard feel like we're ahead of the program in that sense. But if you do go with a young guy, then give the young coach a lot of veteran coaching support or vice versa with old coach and young guys. Eakins was surrounded with a lot of experienced assistant coaches last year with Ward, Brown, and Stothers.

Getz admitting that he would have played longer on another team, probably one that wasn't going through a reset rebuild, that he'd be playing another 4 to 5 years confirms what I thought if the Verbeek would have taken the next step on contending. Lindholm shared in an interview that he knew what Verbeek wanted to do, which was to do a reset and on PV's terms. It's too bad Murray shot himself in the foot. Getz wanted to stay a Duck and not go anywhere else, which selfishly as a fan, I'm kinda glad too.

Speaking of Murray, it feels like a lot of his thoughts and practices has rubbed off on Getzy such as protecting the kids, evolving with coaching the young guys. He's got plenty of insight and surprised he hasn't been offered anything with management, even in an intern type thing. Maybe that's why he's showing up to games often to let the org know he's still hungry to be a part of Ducks hockey. I hope so.

What I kind of gathered from that last part is he wasnt sure what he wanted to do going into this season or how long he wanted to stay away. Sounds like he started getting pulled in more as time went along and they likely just havent ironed out a spot for him but you still see him at a bunch of the team events. Its probably just a feeling out process, a lot like what happened with Scotty and others.

I miss that guy. Absolutely my favorite Duck, maybe favorite player all time.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
Those guys are always tough to listen to, especially O'Brien. 10 minutes of garbage, followed by a decent question. Pretty similar info as to the other show he was on recently. Thanks for the link, though.
Kinda like when he played.

Edit: Anyway, I know what you mean. I tried to listen to this last night, but I was tired and I couldn't get through more than a few minutes and had to try again this morning.

Reactions: Static and snowave

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Getz won’t stay away for long but I think it’s important for a new guy like PV and whoever his new coach is get a chance to establish themselves before he comes back in a fuller capacity.

He likely still has a ton of sway over at least 70% of our roster.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
I actually think he might end up veering toward coaching. He likes being around the guys and the game, and his leader personality seems fitting in that regard. I know he said he wasn't crazy about all the videos, but he seemed a bit more open sounding to the idea in that interview than the other one.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
He seems to be making the media rounds lately. He hasn't been actively promoting anything that I've noticed. Wonder what this has been about. Maybe making a push to get involved in the game?

Reactions: Static

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad